LiveView reverse-engineering effort

Search This thread

toletum91zgz

May 29, 2008
since you use windows phone you will not be able to use that clock with its basic firmware since it requires a bluetooth connection to set the time and date.

what operating system are you using? windows i guess.
in case its really windows, we shall find a good way to install a custom firmware through it because right now i see a that as only chance for you to use the liveview.

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using xda-developers app

Yes, I'm using Windows 8 and Ubuntu atm. I'm looking forward to that custom firmware, and to have Android emulated in my Windows to play with it. I will search over the thread the mentions of that custom firmware to look around and try to help a bit ;)

GottZ

Sep 20, 2008
Cologne
gottz.de
AW: LiveView reverse-engineering effort

well. you do not need to read all 77 pages. just read the last 5 to get an overview.

also openliveview.com contains a small summary of the current progress.

toletum91zgz

May 29, 2008
well. you do not need to read all 77 pages. just read the last 5 to get an overview.

also openliveview.com contains a small summary of the current progress.

I've done it and it's amazing the progress, you guys.

With that custom firmware, I can try to do an app in Windows Phone (I don't know too much about sending info via bluetooth because in Windows Phone 7.8 it's a bit closed) to send info about time/hour. I'm a Windows 8 / Windows Phone beginner developer and it'll be nice to help, but I haven't work with bluetooth connections yet...

I think I'll need linux to change the firmware of the clock, right? (with a live distro it will be piece of cake, I hope) Looking around openliveview.com and this thread, I haven't seen any custom firmware in progress. Only that original_firmware.bin. Any news about that custom fw to give it a try and start developing something?

Thanks, guys!

GottZ

Sep 20, 2008
Cologne
gottz.de
since it seems like everyone want the newest snapshot, here it is:

please use http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38341041&postcount=731 as base for this "firmware" folder in my attachment.
it also explains how to build and use it.

i will also add exception13's last upload so you can diff it if you want.

my changes are not as clean as his code. i used some kind of concept coding that takes less time and creates more crapcode.

just take a look at it and make your own view out of it.

a little explaination for that weird loop in main.c:

i tried to avoid threading (to use event delegated computation) and my first approach kindof worked as you can see.

use set_time hh mm ss in order to set the time (through an usb terminal)

edit:

a friend confirmed that the usb terminal seems broken (halting after an undefined amount of time)
i guess it has something to do with chibi's threading. i'm on it but dont know if i'm able to fix it. if nothing works, i will try to put the serial terminal into my "event loop" idea.

edit 2:
postulio, a member of this forum helped me fix my stupid germlish grammar on openliveview.com.
big thanks for doing so!

Attachments

• firmware_04032013.tar.gz
    20 KB · Views: 47
  • exception13_olvfwp_test_2012121818.tar.bz2
    11.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

toletum91zgz

May 29, 2008
Thanks for the info! It's very helpful.

This wednesday I'll try to talk with the Microsoft people (I'm 'working' as a Microsoft Student Partner in Spain and we are going to have 2 days working together in Madrid) and I'm going to ask if some developer wants to help too in this thread, because an SmartWatch for around 25$ is just amazing. I will do some testing with mine and see if anybody knows something about hardware-software to use your Custom Firmware with more sense than me.

Thanks again for all and for posting your latest snapshot! :highfive:

Reactions: GottZ

renzenicolai

Aug 13, 2012
www.rnplus.nl
Thanks for the info! It's very helpful.

This wednesday I'll try to talk with the Microsoft people (I'm 'working' as a Microsoft Student Partner in Spain and we are going to have 2 days working together in Madrid) and I'm going to ask if some developer wants to help too in this thread, because an SmartWatch for around 25$ is just amazing. I will do some testing with mine and see if anybody knows something about hardware-software to use your Custom Firmware with more sense than me.

Thanks again for all and for posting your latest snapshot! :highfive:

If I understand you correctly you want to make a version of OpenLiveView for Windows Phone? The OLV firmware and the OLV app are currently two close, but different projects: The OLV app currently only works with the sony liveview firmware because the OLV firmware does not support bluetooth yet.

I suggest you look at this repo:
https://github.com/xperimental/OpenLiveView

It hasn't been updated in years, but its the base I started with to create the current OLV app. If you combine that implementation with the Python scripts found in this repo (LiveView server example for Linux / Windows):
https://code.google.com/p/adqmisc/source/browse/#svn/trunk/liveview
you will be able to implement the full liveview protocol.

If you could get things working the LiveView would become usefull for a whole different group of people!

caglarersoz

Aug 29, 2010
i tried openliveview app from market and unstable version from site but cannot connect to LV. i tried lots of things but it says LV connected in notification panel but LV displays connecting symbol (which is LV and pc and a line---).

jkorp

Sep 24, 2012
Göteborg
i tried openliveview app from market and unstable version from site but cannot connect to LV. i tried lots of things but it says LV connected in notification panel but LV displays connecting symbol (which is LV and pc and a line---).

What phone do you have? And which Android version? My SGS with Android 2.3.3 do the same thing unless I remove all widgets and close all background tasks... Due to low RAM I assume...

caglarersoz

Aug 29, 2010
What phone do you have? And which Android version? My SGS with Android 2.3.3 do the same thing unless I remove all widgets and close all background tasks... Due to low RAM I assume...

I'm using a Star A-2000 but i think it's not about RAM. It's like there is a sending/receiving problem with bluetooth module/app. I tried million ways to make it work but can't. It's time to buy new phone i think :) but it's weird because i bought a watch for my phone but now i have to buy a phone to my watch :)

GottZ

Sep 20, 2008
Cologne
gottz.de
I'm using a Star A-2000 but i think it's not about RAM. It's like there is a sending/receiving problem with bluetooth module/app. I tried million ways to make it work but can't. It's time to buy new phone i think :) but it's weird because i bought a watch for my phone but now i have to buy a phone to my watch :)

sounds like you shall create a logcat when a disconnect appears so we can analyze if it really is a hardware issue.

GuruGuys

Dec 25, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S3 no notifications?

I picked up a LiveView when I came across this project. I am using a stock Cricket branded S3 with stock 4.0.4. Everything pairs fine and but no notifications come through. I've tried setting filter to whitelist and blacklist. I can send a 'memo' and it gets there, but go sms, k9 mail, yahoo mail, do no show up as notification.

smwinn7

Dec 17, 2010
Chicagoland
I picked up a LiveView when I came across this project. I am using a stock Cricket branded S3 with stock 4.0.4. Everything pairs fine and but no notifications come through. I've tried setting filter to whitelist and blacklist. I can send a 'memo' and it gets there, but go sms, k9 mail, yahoo mail, do no show up as notification.

Turn accessibility on for olv

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

M

maazdraco

I'm sorry for off topic but what is this thread about??... :p

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

GuruGuys

Dec 25, 2010
Turn accessibility on for olv

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That was it! Thanks!

For $25 with shipping this is one of the better 'bang for the buck' tech products I have bought in a LONG LONG time. Without OLV it would be much less so. Thanks for the good work guys! is there an official donate link for OLV somewhere?

Yoooung

Mar 8, 2013
LOVE me some Aroma installer for ROM flashes.
28.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
05.jpg

04.jpg
29.jpg

Last edited:

renzenicolai

Aug 13, 2012
www.rnplus.nl
That was it! Thanks!

For $25 with shipping this is one of the better 'bang for the buck' tech products I have bought in a LONG LONG time. Without OLV it would be much less so. Thanks for the good work guys! is there an official donate link for OLV somewhere?

It's in the settings menu of the app.
(To the other developers: feel free to post a donate link, I will add it to the app!)

Huh? What?

I'm sorry for off topic but what is this thread about??...
This project:http://www.openliveview.com/

how can i create log?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1616059

Reactions: GottZ

GottZ

Sep 20, 2008
Cologne
gottz.de
28.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
05.jpg

04.jpg
29.jpg
we do not develop android roms here. the only rom that is being developed here is for a smartwatch. in order to put updates onto it, a usb connection to a pc is required (unless we find a way to do it over bluetooth xD)

edit:

bout the firmware:

i've cleaned up my code. i will share it soon.

my testcode does the following right now:

- power button now turns the screen and drawing on and off. it will even disable the clock drawing / debug info drawing.
- up and down change hour + and - 1
- left and right change minute + and - 1
- left and right plus menu key change second + and - 1

Last edited:
Reactions: fixxxer667 and iks8

unignal

Feb 27, 2013
better icons for OLV?

i've finally got my liveview but i'm still on the official app. The only reason that is stopping me from using OLV is the icons - can we have nicer icons? I believe it to be just a simple step of swapping them out :)

also just a suggestion for the developers - is it possible to automatically clear notifications on my phone if my liveview is connected?
In other words, if I can view the notifications on my watch, it doesn't make too much sense to have to view them on my phone again and clear them on the phone too.

I'm not sure if android OS allows apps to dismiss notifications though

M

maazdraco

better icons for OLV?

i've finally got my liveview but i'm still on the official app. The only reason that is stopping me from using OLV is the icons - can we have nicer icons? I believe it to be just a simple step of swapping them out :)

also just a suggestion for the developers - is it possible to automatically clear notifications on my phone if my liveview is connected?
In other words, if I can view the notifications on my watch, it doesn't make too much sense to have to view them on my phone again and clear them on the phone too.

I'm not sure if android OS allows apps to dismiss notifications though

I'm sorry for being a noob again but what is OLV?
Can there be a rom for the LiveView in the coming years?
Is the LiveView open source?
+ can anyone provide me a detailed spec sheet of the LiveView... Like the processor and alll..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

A few weeks ago I started taking apart the LiveView software and manager. I'm really unhappy with the current plugin system, the menu structure and more. So, I started to reverse-engineer the Bluetooth protocol. I'm at the very beginning but it's looking promising.

Here's the repo: https://github.com/BurntBrunch/LivelierView

The protocol is not very difficult - just request-acknowledge-response serial communication over RFCOMM. Also, the kind people from SE didn't run the manager through Proguard (wink, wink, nudge, nudge ;) ).

I also have what I *think* is a dump of the firmware but it seems either compressed or encrypted. Binwalk didn't find anything in it. If someone would be kind enough to take apart the software updater, we might figure out what's running on the actual device as well.

Overall, I'm just starting but so far it's looking good (got time syncing working! it's at least a watch, if nothing else! :p ).

Any help would be greatly appreciated (pull requests are more than welcome! :))
    Well just a brief status update. The project I've started on github has been progressing, greatly in part from the contributions of boombuler.

You can go there ( https://github.com/pedronveloso/OpenLiveView ) and check the README, and I've compiled and attached an APK so you guys can test for yourselves without having to clone the repo and compile ;). Right now that APK only asks for connecting with the device (has to be paired first of course) and then sends a Vibrate command to the LiveView. There's more commands done in the source then just that but the functionality has not yet received a dedicated UI since the whole thing is on a very early stage.

Bare in mind that theres no point in reporting any bugs at this stage since I myself keep finding them with ease :p

NOTE : You might have to uninstall LiveView first in order to test the app, at least I had to uninstall it because of Broadcasts that where getting in the way sometimes when the LiveView app was installed.

its not done yet. will need to enable getpixel in chibios gfx in order to have clean alpha overlapping. (well you cant see it anyways on a video)
    Update!

Here you go, the next update! :)

Visible changes:
    I added mediacontrols (play/pause, previous track and next track) to the menu.

Invisible changes (protocol):
    - Implemented brightness controll for the liveview display (off, dim and on)
    - Implemented ClearDisplay command
    - Implemented DisplayBitmap command

Invisible changes (gui):
    - Added mediacontrolls like in the sony app when you long press the select key.

Now the problem I am currently experiencing:
    The LiveView does not send back the navigate commands for left, right and select (short press) when in menu mode AND when out of menu mode (zero menuitems).

My question to the original developer of the "net.sourcewalker.olv" app is if he can tell me how to make the liveview send those keypresses to the service.

Something that I found out:
    the device sends DEVICESTATUS_ON back in stead of DEVICESTATUS_MENU when there are zero menu items, in that mode you have full controll over the screen (blanking and sending bitmaps).

EDIT:
    Small bugfix (next button didn't work)
    I'm sorry for being a noob again but what is OLV?
    Can there be a rom for the LiveView in the coming years?
    Is the LiveView open source?
    + can anyone provide me a detailed spec sheet of the LiveView... Like the processor and alll..

1. OLV means: OpenLiveView wich is our project name (we have a custom android app that fully replaces sony's app)
    2. a rom is currently in developement as you can see within this post.
    3. the liveview itself is not opensource. our stuff however is.
    4. i cannot provide you a detailed spec sheet right now but will do it when i have some time digging out that info.

so.. now to what i want to post:

current snapshot of my firmware folder in attachments.

current binary of the firmware is also in the attachments. (for thoose who just want to try it without compiling and know what they do)

how to use the firmware folder:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38341041&postcount=731

(yes, i suck at english. digg through it or wait till i explain it on http://openliveview.com)

stuff that is on my todo:

• display timeout (aprox 5 minutes to implement it)
    • bluetooth (need help)
    • write access to the internal storage (need help)
    • access to the current battery charge info (need help)
    • basic menu system (i'm on it)
    • stopwatch (i'm on it after the menu)
    • digital clock (will do it after i did the stopwatch)
    • other stuff