LiveView reverse-engineering effort

Search This thread

AdamCompedia

Sep 10, 2010
Halifax, West Yorkshire
Hi all

Just got a quick question about this, if i flash the custom firmware (would need to find how to download it first) would that then allow the watch to work as an analogue watch?

I switched from Android to Windows Phone so obviously at the moment i cant use APKs or the watch with the official Sony app. I would be happy to use it just as a watch for the moment so that i am still getting some use out of it. I might go back to Android in the future, i havent really decided yet which i prefer.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Candy-men

May 15, 2007
Berlin
Hey Folks,

first i want to thanks archivator so much. I´ve got my liveview a long time ago, and i dont used it anytime because it was useless. I had so much connection errors that it wasnt useful.

But now it is revived!!! I use my LiveView again....

Cant say how glad i am

Just few Ideas:
Batttery status of LiveView
Signal strenght of Phone
Weather app
Facebook App
whatsapp app (appappappap ;) )

But this actual work is awesome and crazy!!!

You are a Livesaver of LiveView

Machaira

Aug 26, 2010
Does anyone have a base to spare? My LV no longer stays snapped into its base that works with the watch band, and I can't seem to find a replacement on Amazon....

Mar 17, 2012
Does anyone have a base to spare? My LV no longer stays snapped into its base that works with the watch band, and I can't seem to find a replacement on Amazon....

You'll probably be better off doing what i did, follow this guide to make your own band connector for the watch band so you can charge while its in the base, and then superglue it in.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1926897

makes it so you can no longer use the other base, but i only use mine as a watch anyway.

Reactions: Machaira

Candy-men

May 15, 2007
Berlin
Now the LV is stable, i recognize how bad the Bluetooth reception is.

Does anyone tryed to enlarge the antenna?

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 AM ----------

111463.html

Machaira

Aug 26, 2010
You'll probably be better off doing what i did, follow this guide to make your own band connector for the watch band so you can charge while its in the base, and then superglue it in.

Thanks, I'll give that a look. Right now I'm using the metal clip to hold it to the band, but I'm not sure it's a long term solution. Thanks again!

aragorn21

Jun 25, 2007
Le Mans
I just discover your work on Open Liveview and installed the Color version

and WOW ! how amazing it is ! I forgot my liveview in a corner of my house, and with the buzz of Smartwatch, I wonder if something is possible...and yes it is !

(also find some post with interaction with Tasker)

anyway, despite the extra work you did, I have some remarks, wishes...
(also posted on issue 37 in https://code.google.com/p/openliveview/issues/detail?id=37&thanks=37&ts=1378324196)

Problems :
- "Wifi toggle" make the liveview crash, and connect no more

Questions :
- Plugins are working on this OLV version, but what/where are plugins ?

Wishes :
- Possibility to select which notification icon to show
(available are Sms - System - All but not possible to select which to show) --- Miss Email Category for instance...
- Possibility to select from the phone which app is related to which category (I personnaly use Handcent for SMS and Gmail for Emails)
- Facebook (or in general Social Media) category
- Possibility to choose icon for Category

What are the next steps on your side ?

tvall

Oct 10, 2010
Springfield
I just discover your work on Open Liveview and installed the Color version

and WOW ! how amazing it is ! I forgot my liveview in a corner of my house, and with the buzz of Smartwatch, I wonder if something is possible...and yes it is !

(also find some post with interaction with Tasker)

anyway, despite the extra work you did, I have some remarks, wishes...
(also posted on issue 37 in https://code.google.com/p/openliveview/issues/detail?id=37&thanks=37&ts=1378324196)

Problems :
- "Wifi toggle" make the liveview crash, and connect no more

Questions :
- Plugins are working on this OLV version, but what/where are plugins ?

Wishes :
- Possibility to select which notification icon to show
(available are Sms - System - All but not possible to select which to show) --- Miss Email Category for instance...
- Possibility to select from the phone which app is related to which category (I personnaly use Handcent for SMS and Gmail for Emails)
- Facebook (or in general Social Media) category
- Possibility to choose icon for Category

What are the next steps on your side ?

yes, wifi toggle crashes. this is the first time i ever wrote any kind of code for android. it WILL crash.
my version is just a crappy fork. the original version is much more stable.

aragorn21

Jun 25, 2007
Le Mans
What are the next steps ??

If you need beta tester or french translator, I can be :)

Thanks for what you're doing !!

Nachtwind

May 26, 2009
HI,
After my LV was sitting on my desktop for ages with no use (the original liveview software sucks and OLV was, yet not what i looked for :/) i wanted to give it a try to connect it to my computer.

Is there any good documentation on the protocol? Like what serial parameters (baut, stopbits etc) are used? I have found various constants in the OLV code, yet since i am not the best java programmer i didnt get how to make the connection.

Cheers
Nachtwind

PS: Nice to see that OLV is still under development.. seems to become way more useful now :)

couillu44

Feb 11, 2011
Thank you for the software.

Now everything's working great but not SMS.

I have a Motorola Razr maxx with MIUI V5.

ruebarb

Oct 13, 2007
I've had problems with the SMS, I was using chomp, then removed it back to the stock Samsung SMS on 4.1, tried all options in the SMS app, still no luck.

The SMS will not appear on screen when received, I assume it should work like sending a note, though it will be in the list of messages

jkok

Jan 26, 2013
I've had problems with the SMS, I was using chomp, then removed it back to the stock Samsung SMS on 4.1, tried all options in the SMS app, still no luck.

The SMS will not appear on screen when received, I assume it should work like sending a note, though it will be in the list of messages

with 4.0-4.1+ u need to do the accessibility options and allow OLV Notifications, it will do it then =)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

A few weeks ago I started taking apart the LiveView software and manager. I'm really unhappy with the current plugin system, the menu structure and more. So, I started to reverse-engineer the Bluetooth protocol. I'm at the very beginning but it's looking promising.

Here's the repo: https://github.com/BurntBrunch/LivelierView

The protocol is not very difficult - just request-acknowledge-response serial communication over RFCOMM. Also, the kind people from SE didn't run the manager through Proguard (wink, wink, nudge, nudge ;) ).

I also have what I *think* is a dump of the firmware but it seems either compressed or encrypted. Binwalk didn't find anything in it. If someone would be kind enough to take apart the software updater, we might figure out what's running on the actual device as well.

Overall, I'm just starting but so far it's looking good (got time syncing working! it's at least a watch, if nothing else! :p ).

Any help would be greatly appreciated (pull requests are more than welcome! :))
    Well just a brief status update. The project I've started on github has been progressing, greatly in part from the contributions of boombuler.

You can go there ( https://github.com/pedronveloso/OpenLiveView ) and check the README, and I've compiled and attached an APK so you guys can test for yourselves without having to clone the repo and compile ;). Right now that APK only asks for connecting with the device (has to be paired first of course) and then sends a Vibrate command to the LiveView. There's more commands done in the source then just that but the functionality has not yet received a dedicated UI since the whole thing is on a very early stage.

Bare in mind that theres no point in reporting any bugs at this stage since I myself keep finding them with ease :p

NOTE : You might have to uninstall LiveView first in order to test the app, at least I had to uninstall it because of Broadcasts that where getting in the way sometimes when the LiveView app was installed.

its not done yet. will need to enable getpixel in chibios gfx in order to have clean alpha overlapping. (well you cant see it anyways on a video)
    Update!

Here you go, the next update! :)

Visible changes:
    I added mediacontrols (play/pause, previous track and next track) to the menu.

Invisible changes (protocol):
    - Implemented brightness controll for the liveview display (off, dim and on)
    - Implemented ClearDisplay command
    - Implemented DisplayBitmap command

Invisible changes (gui):
    - Added mediacontrolls like in the sony app when you long press the select key.

Now the problem I am currently experiencing:
    The LiveView does not send back the navigate commands for left, right and select (short press) when in menu mode AND when out of menu mode (zero menuitems).

My question to the original developer of the "net.sourcewalker.olv" app is if he can tell me how to make the liveview send those keypresses to the service.

Something that I found out:
    the device sends DEVICESTATUS_ON back in stead of DEVICESTATUS_MENU when there are zero menu items, in that mode you have full controll over the screen (blanking and sending bitmaps).

EDIT:
    Small bugfix (next button didn't work)
    I'm sorry for being a noob again but what is OLV?
    Can there be a rom for the LiveView in the coming years?
    Is the LiveView open source?
    + can anyone provide me a detailed spec sheet of the LiveView... Like the processor and alll..

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

1. OLV means: OpenLiveView wich is our project name (we have a custom android app that fully replaces sony's app)
    2. a rom is currently in developement as you can see within this post.
    3. the liveview itself is not opensource. our stuff however is.
    4. i cannot provide you a detailed spec sheet right now but will do it when i have some time digging out that info.

so.. now to what i want to post:

current snapshot of my firmware folder in attachments.

current binary of the firmware is also in the attachments. (for thoose who just want to try it without compiling and know what they do)

how to use the firmware folder:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38341041&postcount=731

(yes, i suck at english. digg through it or wait till i explain it on http://openliveview.com)

stuff that is on my todo:

• display timeout (aprox 5 minutes to implement it)
    • bluetooth (need help)
    • write access to the internal storage (need help)
    • access to the current battery charge info (need help)
    • basic menu system (i'm on it)
    • stopwatch (i'm on it after the menu)
    • digital clock (will do it after i did the stopwatch)
    • other stuff