[LM-G710V] The LG G7 ThinQ Retail Mode/Demo Mode Thread

Search This thread

Mindvisi0n

Jul 6, 2014
You can get everything working that works on the demo ROM (AFAIK) but you can't get it working like a real consumer model. Be warned though, I don't think it is possible to return to the demo ROM after leaving.

Also, If you are able to, could you find out if the device is able to go into it's deepsleep state before cross flashing?

I haven't managed to get that to work at all, it's now the main problem I have with the phone meaning it has poor standby battery life (good SOT though)

Merry Christmas!
I don't think so it's going into a deep sleep state. I bought two demo devices this one and v60.
v60 doesn't drop battery that much when not used but G7 drops battery % quite a lot when not in use.
What's the quickest way to test if G7 is going into a deep sleep state?

the-blind-bandit

Apr 20, 2011
I don't think so it's going into a deep sleep state. I bought two demo devices this one and v60.
v60 doesn't drop battery that much when not used but G7 drops battery % quite a lot when not in use.
What's the quickest way to test if G7 is going into a deep sleep state?
Well I can't check this works on android 8 at the moment but if you look in 'Settings>About phone> Uptime' It may also tell you the percentage of time the device has been on which was spent in the deep sleep state. Basically, if it says anything other than 0%, It is working and I may have a chance of getting it to work on custom ROMs too.

Based on what you say about the standby battery use, it seem likely deep sleep isn't ever working on the demo G7.

tux8880

Jan 27, 2023

Thanks the-blind-bandit i got my Retail unit this week, unlocked and tried you method for custom rom works really well, one thing is the storage is at 32GB as mentioned, its shows like this in recovery i cant work it out, i tried flashing other offical roms inc android 8\9 all show 32GB tried without flashing modded modem wasnt sure if it had anything to do with it. do you think there was only 32GB in the retail model and it was only a Spoof in the Retail FW? i wont to try flashing windowsArm64 as this phone should support but with only 32GB not sure i can. thanks again!​

skrobul

Sep 11, 2009
I bought G7 only to use as a music player so I'm mostly happy with the stock ROM after debloating it from few LG apps and removing retail mode as outlined earlier in this thread. It works, but still does not charge to 50%.

Can you guys confirm if flashing the custom rom will remove the 50% charging restriction?

tux8880

Jan 27, 2023
I bought G7 only to use as a music player so I'm mostly happy with the stock ROM after debloating it from few LG apps and removing retail mode as outlined earlier in this thread. It works, but still does not charge to 50%.

Can you guys confirm if flashing the custom rom will remove the 50% charging restriction?
Yes the Restriction isnt there anymore, i left it from 100% to 64% total 15hours overnight so not doing anything, it dosnt deep sleep, could you not sure how confirm its got 64GB how much free space have you got after debloating?

skrobul

Sep 11, 2009
Yes the Restriction isnt there anymore, i left it from 100% to 64% total 15hours overnight so not doing anything, it dosnt deep sleep, could you not sure how confirm its got 64GB how much free space have you got after debloating?
Thanks! It doesn't have 64GB to start with. I wasn't doing the debloat for disk space but more in view of battery drain. Nevertheless, this is how it looks right now:

Code:
judyln:/ $ df -h
Filesystem              Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root               4.2G  3.0G  1.1G  74% /
tmpfs                   1.7G  1.2M  1.7G   1% /dev
/dev/block/dm-1         953M  758M  179M  81% /vendor
tmpfs                   1.7G     0  1.7G   0% /mnt
/dev/block/sde4         182M   52M  130M  29% /firmware
/dev/block/sde8          27M   20M  7.2M  73% /vendor/dsp
/dev/block/sda5          27M  184K   27M   1% /persist
/dev/block/sda18        3.8M   44K  3.6M   2% /oem
/dev/block/sda3         1.8M  784K  1.0M  44% /vendor/sns
/dev/block/sda2          10M  904K  8.6M  10% /vendor/persist-lg
/dev/block/sda1          27M  7.7M   19M  29% /vendor/mpt
/dev/block/sda13        3.8M   44K  3.6M   2% /vendor/srtc
/dev/block/sda12        5.8M  704K  4.9M  13% /vendor/fota
/dev/block/sda16         35M   44K   35M   1% /vendor/carrier
/dev/block/sda24        2.9G  2.6G  212M  93% /oem/OP
/dev/block/dm-2          42G   33G  9.0G  79% /data
/data/media              42G   33G  9.0G  79% /storage/emulated
/mnt/media_rw/6E16-84BC 233G   62G  171G  27% /storage/6E16-84BC
judyln:/ $

Don't really care about storage because I only have Poweramp installed.

tux8880

Jan 27, 2023
thank you for posting that, once i have messed about with mine its currently got removed partitions etc with messing, ill reflash. but yeah ours are missing something onced its been crossed flashed, anyone got any ideas?

tux8880

Jan 27, 2023
thank you for posting that, once i have messed about with mine its currently got removed partitions etc with messing, ill reflash. but yeah ours are missing something onced its been crossed flashed, anyone got any ideas?
Stock FW, G710EM30f_00_OPEN_EU_OP_1124.kdz this is booted (strange thing if you reboot or power off then back on it erases without modem mod)

space.jpg
fm.jpg

Strange.

tux8880

Jan 27, 2023
Did anyone figure out way to disable the 50% charge limit WITHOUT upgrading to Android 10? I want to stay on Android 8, because LG provides DAC drivers only for Android 8.
official roms work, but as mentioned you will have to do the edit to get wifi working and flash the custom modem. so you can stick to android 8 but you will have to root it somehow without flashing custom recovery as it will mess up the rom. hope this helps.

skrobul

Sep 11, 2009
official roms work, but as mentioned you will have to do the edit to get wifi working and flash the custom modem. so you can stick to android 8 but you will have to root it somehow without flashing custom recovery as it will mess up the rom. hope this helps.
for root, there is probably some exploit lying around (dirty pipe?)
Now the flashing custom modem is something I don't know how to get around without custom recovery. Does QFIL allow flashing a single partition (I don't have Windows to test it, but willing to build a virtual machine later on)?

tux8880

Jan 27, 2023
Yep Qfil will flash the custom modem that will stop it rebooting, dirty pipe possibly, not looked in to it. Let me know how you get on!.
for root, there is probably some exploit lying around (dirty pipe?)
Now the flashing custom modem is something I don't know how to get around without custom recovery. Does QFIL allow flashing a single partition (I don't have Windows to test it, but willing to build a virtual machine later on)?

the-blind-bandit

Apr 20, 2011
was looking at dirty cow exploit that will do it!
Sorry I haven't been paying attention 😅

In this post, if you go to my download link and go to 'boot images' folder, any marked with [Magisk] are already Magisk patched / rooted, you just need to install the magisk manager app.
Also, any marked OF, have OrangeFox recovery too.

To the boot images you can just load them to boot_a and boot _b partitions in qfil or flash in orange fox if you already have that installed.

Edit:

If you wish to patch the boot images yourself, there are a couple of ways to do it but the easiest - - read one of the boot partitions in qfil, find the file it makes, rename it to something.img and pass it to a magisk manager app to patch as normal. This is quite tedious to do for multiple images, hence why I provided them.

Edit 2:

Just thought I'd mention dirty cow shouldn't work on basically anything which has received an update since it got a lot of media attention.

tux8880

Jan 27, 2023
Sorry I haven't been paying attention 😅

In this post, if you go to my download link and go to 'boot images' folder, any marked with [Magisk] are already Magisk patched / rooted, you just need to install the magisk manager app.
Also, any marked OF, have OrangeFox recovery too.

To the boot images you can just load them to boot_a and boot _b partitions in qfil or flash in orange fox if you already have that installed.

Edit:

If you wish to patch the boot images yourself, there are a couple of ways to do it but the easiest - - read one of the boot partitions in qfil, find the file it makes, rename it to something.img and pass it to a magisk manager app to patch as normal. This is quite tedious to do for multiple images, hence why I provided them.

Edit 2:

Just thought I'd mention dirty cow shouldn't work on basically anything which has received an update since it got a lot of media attention.
He wants to use android 8 for power amp, if he flashes one of them boot images it will stop the rom from booting? He will need root to fix wifi.

the-blind-bandit

Apr 20, 2011
He wants to use android 8 for power amp, if he flashes one of them boot images it will stop the rom from booting? He will need root to fix wifi.
Oh, sorry I didn't really read much of your last posts and I've been away a while - I must look pretty stupid at the moment 😭

There are actually some magisk patched boot images in that MEGA folder for android 8 already - they are EM10b and EM10s.

I'm pretty sure I never managed to get orange fox (patched boot) working on android 8 and magisk behaves strangely too. Magisk manger seems to always crash when you open it but you can still use it since the root access conformation popup still works.

Remember, in android 8 you have to edit /vendor/persist-lg/wifi/WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini file to force 2.4ghz wi-fi.

Attachments

• [Magisk]EM10b-boot.img
    64 MB · Views: 4
  • [Magisk]EM10k.img
    64 MB · Views: 5
  • [Magisk]EM10s-boot.img
    64 MB · Views: 3

skrobul

Sep 11, 2009
There are actually some magisk patched boot images in that MEGA folder for android 8 already - they are EM10b and EM10s.
thanks - I assume these are stock android 8 ? I will be giving them a go, just need to read a bit more to make sure that I fully understand the steps before bricking the device.

correct, iirc dirtycow should not work on any android after 2016 security patch which roughly means until android 7 nougat.

That's why I mentioned dirty pipe which is similar but newer. I am still debating if all this effort and risk of bricking the device is still worth it just to get around the 50% charging limitation.

edit: dirty pipe will not work as it's available from kernels 5.8.x. My LG is running 4.9.65, so that avenue is no-go.

the-blind-bandit

Apr 20, 2011
thanks - I assume these are stock android 8 ? I will be giving them a go, just need to read a bit more to make sure that I fully understand the steps before bricking the device.

correct, iirc dirtycow should not work on any android after 2016 security patch which roughly means until android 7 nougat.

That's why I mentioned dirty pipe which is similar but newer. I am still debating if all this effort and risk of bricking the device is still worth it just to get around the 50% charging limitation.

edit: dirty pipe will not work as it's available from kernels 5.8.x. My LG is running 4.9.65, so that avenue is no-go.
First be sure that the device is still not going into deepsleep state while on the retail/demo ROM (screen-off time will be rubbish compared to screen-on time), and !!PLEASE!! let me know.

If deepsleep is not working as I suspect is the case, then I'd definitely recommend trying to change over. EDL mode, which you use with qfil is pretty bulletproof and I seriously doubt you'll be manage to permanently brick your device. One thing to note, is that EDL mode is very faffy to get into - try to get a bit comfortable accessing it first, don't expect to be able to do it every time though.

I still don't know of a way to return to the retail ROM once you have left it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    device info
    G710V10d

click on the retail mode app and put in the password
    password 103729
    click on factory data reset in the app and put in admin code
    Admin L310MC570G
    wait for the device to fully factory reset. Once it boots up quickly go into setting about phone and click on the build number 7 times then go into developer options.
    open a adb windows on your pc and start adb server with with adb devices.
    then toggle usb debugging and click always allow.

disable device admin
    adb shell
    am start -S com.android.settings/.Settings\$DeviceAdminSettingsActivity
    uncheck retail mode admin and deactivate it.
    reboot from the shell with reboot.

Uninstall retail mode app
    adb shell
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.lge.retailmode
    reboot from the shell with reboot.

Demo mode locks removed

Hope this helps those out there that needed it. The battery will still only charge to 50% but everything else will work as far as i can tell so far.
    Rootjunky Out.
    Hey @the-blind-bandit Thanks for looking into it and getting these things to work.
    Now, I have a quick question, I was able to upgrade to A10 and flash the images, boot the device but I'm still debating on how to edit the vendor files. I'm able to see them inside of Orangefox recovery but I'm not able to edit them on the spot. If I try to copy the files to replace them later I'm getting an error so if you could shed some light on how to proceed?
    Well I'd actually recommend doing it in android with a file manager such as MiXplorer since you shouldn't have random reboots now and will be able to use root after installing the Magisk apk - you must make sure you have actually granted your file explorer root access though or the folder won't appear.

But if you want to do it with OrangeFox:
    1) Go to Menu (right bottom button) > Mount > Check 'Vendor'
    2) Go to Files (left bottom button) and navigate to /vendor/firmware/wlan/qca_cld
    3) Select WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini
    4) Select Edit file in nano
    5) Press Ctrl and W to search (Where is)
    6) Type bandcap and press enter
    7) You should be on the line BandCapability=0 - Change the 0 to 1 for 2.4Ghz only
    8) Press Ctrl and X, followed by y and then enter to save and exit nano.
    9) Reboot and WiFI should 'just work'. haha

Which stock firmware are you using? Can you confirm that root and OrangeFox are working without you having to patch your boot image manually?

Please let me know if you succeed.
    I'm happy someone is actually reading this :D
    I come bearing gifts! - and a new problem to solve :(

Firstly, what most of you care about - WiFi is really easy to fix! - You must first flash retail/demo modem partitions in qfil though.

You'll need to be rooted or at least have access to orangefox - I'll attach some magisk patched boot images, some even have working orangefox too, you can install the modified boot.img in qfil when you flash the retail modems.

Anyway, all you have to do edit the file /vendor/firmware/wlan/qca_cld/WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini, change the line BandCapability=0 to BandCapability=1 This will set the WiFi band to 2.4Ghz permanently! (or until you overwrite your vendor partition for something)
    Note: if you are on an Android 8 based LG ROM, you also have to do the same in file /vendor/persist-lg/wifi/WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini

I have noticed that where almost everything works on android 8 based ROMs, camera, auto-rotate, and GPS do not on later ROMs (auto-rotate may work on android 9 but definitely not 10+). The problem is those retail modem partitions, they were made for android 8. In order to fix this, I believe some custom modem partitions must be made but I have no idea how to extract the bin/img file or if it's even possible. --- This, however, is not 'The problem'.

The problem
    The device will not enter deep-sleep state.
    Obviously our battery conditions may vary quite considerably but yours may actually be a lot better than you think thanks to that 50% charge limit on the retail software. If you are getting poor overall battery life but good screen-on time, this is probably because the phone isn't entering its deep-sleep state when the screen is off. I currently have no idea how to deal with this so please let me know if you have any ideas.

I have attached some modified boot images, all are patched for Magisk and two have orangefox recovery too. For some reason, after patching android 8 boot images, the magisk app won't open. You will still get the superuser request popup with the app installed and root is working but you can't use the app :unsure: There is one for EvolutionX ROM too, it's the only custom ROM I've got working.

One last thing I have noticed, if I stream a video on the phone it will work perfectly unless I connect my bluetooth earbuds, then I get lots of buffering - I would like someone to confirm this but I suspect this is another modem related problem.

Please let me know if you have any ideas about editing the modem partition file or the deep-sleep problem, also if you have any other problems, I may already have a solution so let me know.

Edit: Downloads are now here.
    Hey @the-blind-bandit Thanks for looking into it and getting these things to work.
    Now, I have a quick question, I was able to upgrade to A10 and flash the images, boot the device but I'm still debating on how to edit the vendor files. I'm able to see them inside of Orangefox recovery but I'm not able to edit them on the spot. If I try to copy the files to replace them later I'm getting an error so if you could shed some light on how to proceed?
    I've done it!
    I've attached a modified modem partition for Android 10+ based ROMs, I have only tested it on LGs EM30f (UK variant), and EvolutionX custom ROM (Android 11) but i expect it will work for all other android 10 LG ROMs.

Now working with Android 10+:
    -WiFi (2.4Ghz only)
    -Auto rotate/gyroscope
    -Camera

Still not working:
    -Deepsleep state - probably not related to the modem partition at all
    -GPS - I think I was wrong about this working in Android 8, Google's "location accuracy" just made it look as if it was.
    -Streaming over bluetooth causes very poor WiFi speed.

First boot to download mode (hold vol up while plugged into USB and rebooting) and flash the EM30f .kdz with LGUP (Partition DL option). Check it boots to setup (although, expect random reboots at this point). Reboot to EDL mode and use qfil's partition manager to write the modified modem file to both modem slots a and b. You will find it easiest to flash the rooted boot image to both slots at this point too.

Note: To get WiFI working, you still need to root and edit the "WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini" file as described in my last post.

Ask me if you have any problems.

Edit: Downloads are now here.