loaded wrong rom, stuck on boot screen

Search This thread

david.danaan

Dec 21, 2009
Apologies for this stupid question resulting from a stupid mistake. Hoping somebody will be able to walk me through getting out of this.

I successfully rooted my sprint hero, then loaded modaco 3.0 (yes now I know that was bad). On reboot, the phone hangs on the black htc screen, and will respond to nothing.

The only thing I've been able to do is remove the battery, then turn it on in recovery mode. There, I did a wipe data/restore factory setting. Then I rebooted - and got the same boot screen, same problem.

Second try: wiped, toggled to usb, and replaced the 3.0 update.zip with the 1.1 for CDMA, tried to flash it, got this:

can't open /sdcard/update.zip (bad)

When I try to restore, I get these:

(bart) error: run bart via adb
(nandroid) can't open file

Please help! I am out of ideas. :confused: Thanks very much in advance.

djsplitimage

Dec 22, 2008
you'll probably have to take it back to the very beginning......

Get the Sprint RUU stock rom (a couple of posts below this one) and run that

then re-root your hero

Flash one of the roms ON THIS BOARD ONLY!!! Any other Hero rom is meant for the GSM version so it will give you the same headache again.

david.danaan

Dec 21, 2009
Hmm, not looking good here. When I tried to install the stock hero RUU I got this error:

no signature
verification failed

which I presume is related to the htc sync requirement for that rom in the unrooting procedure that I did earlier.

Any idea for working around that?

posguy99

Nov 8, 2009
Second try: wiped, toggled to usb, and replaced the 3.0 update.zip with the 1.1 for CDMA, tried to flash it, got this:

can't open /sdcard/update.zip (bad)

Don't use 1.1, grab a later one.

Which recovery? 1.5.x won't let you go back to the main menu without disabling USB-MS again... I don't remember what 1.2.3 did. If worse comes to worst, reboot the phone after copying the file.

flipzmode

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
So first off yes, you aren't booting past the HTC screen because you flashed the wrong rom. However you aren't bricked. It's almost impossible to do once you're rooted and have RA's recovery installed unless you flash radios and stuff which you shouldn't.

Explanations for your other problems:
1. RUU doesn't work on the phones that are coming from the factory with 1.56. http://geekfor.me/news/sprint-ruu-fails/
There is a possible work-around but it's pretty detailed and I haven't gotten it to work. But you don't need to RUU if you can get in to RA.

2) (nandroid) can't open file is likely caused by RA 1.5.1. It had a bug that corrupted the backups. 1.5.2 is out. But for now don't worry about that cause your backup already sounds corrupted, nothing you can do.

3) can't open /sdcard/update.zip (bad). To me that sounds like your update was just corrupted.

How to fix it:
1. Boot in to recovery. With phone powered off hold your home button and then power.

2. Download fresh rom from http://geekfor.me/new-release/fresh-rom-1-0/ (what can I say... I'm partial. ;) )

3. Within RA enable USB toggle and copy fresh rom to the root of your sdcard. Don't worry about renaming it to update.zip

4. Disable usb toggle. Go to flash zip from SD and choose fresh. That should be it. If you get the error saying the zip is bad then compare your downloaded copy with the md5 hash check on the download page (google it if you aren't sure how). If it matches then it's possible you have a bad sdcard. If it doesn't match then your downloads are crappy. :)

david.danaan

Dec 21, 2009
working!

Got it working by flashing the modaco v1.3a - must have been a bad update.zip before like you said. Thank you so much for the help and clear explanations, I was really worried I had bricked it.

jsmarkha

Dec 21, 2009
I just want to thank everyone that posted to this reply I honestly thought that I bricked my phone and thank to you guys I was able to revive it. Thank you again.