Local or OTA update with custom recovery installed?

Search This thread

dahawthorne

Nov 15, 2014
Brighton
No doubt this has been answered somewhere but the XDA search function simply does not work.
My 8T is rooted (Magisk 25.2) and has a custom recovery (Orangefox R12.1). I'm on OOS C.21 (or C20, depending on which screen I look at).
When the notification for the new C33 appears, I intend to unroot, which is simple, before updating.
However, does the OOS Updater depend in any way on the OOS recovery? To put it another way, will having a custom recovery prevent the OOS Updater working?
Thanks...

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 8 Pro
No doubt this has been answered somewhere but the XDA search function simply does not work.
My 8T is rooted (Magisk 25.2) and has a custom recovery (Orangefox R12.1). I'm on OOS C.21 (or C20, depending on which screen I look at).
When the notification for the new C33 appears, I intend to unroot, which is simple, before updating.
However, does the OOS Updater depend in any way on the OOS recovery? To put it another way, will having a custom recovery prevent the OOS Updater working?
Thanks...
If the OTA is an incremental update, then you must restore the stock recovery image otherwise the OTA will fail.
If the OTA is a full update, then it will simply overwrite the recovery partition and finish successfully.

Reactions: dahawthorne

dahawthorne

Nov 15, 2014
Brighton
Thanks for the very quick and comprehensive answer, Bill. Much appreciated.
I always loaded the full OTA in my old Nexus days, so I'll keep my eye open for the full package.

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I always loaded the full OTA in my old Nexus days, so I'll keep my eye open for the full package.
I suggest you read the following post, if you haven't already done so. It would have answered your questions.

Reactions: dahawthorne

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks...
    If the OTA is an incremental update, then you must restore the stock recovery image otherwise the OTA will fail.
    If the OTA is a full update, then it will simply overwrite the recovery partition and finish successfully.
    I suggest you read the following post, if you haven't already done so. It would have answered your questions.
    Thanks again, Bill. That is a really informative and helpful post.