• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Location on Galaxy Watch 4

Search This thread

amirage

Sep 1, 2010
Dubai
OnePlus Nord N100
Hi all,

Just wanted to check...if you have location services switched on on this device. I tried switching it off and experienced a remarkable improvement in the battery life. Am I missing something without location services on?

Fousekis7

Mar 6, 2021
According to the user guide, the Galaxy Watch 4 draws the location from your phone when this is connected to it via BT, except for Samsung Health. What kind of improvement did you see? My watch drains around 2% per hour during the day with normal use and 10% over night. This is with everything on, apart from AOD and with Location on Improved Accuracy.

amirage

Sep 1, 2010
Dubai
OnePlus Nord N100
According to the user guide, the Galaxy Watch 4 draws the location from your phone when this is connected to it via BT, except for Samsung Health. What kind of improvement did you see? My watch drains around 2% per hour during the day with normal use and 10% over night. This is with everything on, apart from AOD and with Location on Improved Accuracy.
With location on, I would start the day with 100% and 6 hours in to the day I would have lost around 25%. With location off and under the same conditions, I would have lost around 16%. That's about 9% save over 6 hours. In both these situations, I'm assuming the same level of activity.

crxssi

Jun 18, 2010
USA
Interesting. I will try with location turned off, myself (it was on). I am not sure why a watch needs location, other than for weather or maybe exercise tracking without the phone? And without it, it should just use your home city or last location, anyway. And I don't use exercise tracking and don't have Samsung Health installed. For it to use much battery, either it would have to be requesting location through BT regularly, and I am not sure why it would need to, or it would be without a BT connection and have to figure it out on its own. In my case, the watch is always connected via BT.

amirage

Sep 1, 2010
Dubai
OnePlus Nord N100
Interesting. I will try with location turned off, myself (it was on). I am not sure why a watch needs location, other than for weather or maybe exercise tracking without the phone? And without it, it should just use your home city or last location, anyway. And I don't use exercise tracking and don't have Samsung Health installed. For it to use much battery, either it would have to be requesting location through BT regularly, and I am not sure why it would need to, or it would be without a BT connection and have to figure it out on its own. In my case, the watch is always connected via BT.
I'm not sure why the watch would request for location from the phone when there is an inbuilt GPS receiver. But, yes, long story short, without the location enabled, the battery life is great.

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
I'm getting great battery life with location turned on - and IMHO turning location off on the Galaxy Watch 4 kinda negates its main advantages over the Galaxy Watch (Google Maps, etc.).

If battery life is your overriding priority, and you don't care about the health and location-based features of the GW4, I would suggest that you buy an original Galaxy Watch, at a fraction of the price, and up to 2x the battery life.

crxssi

Jun 18, 2010
USA
I'm getting great battery life with location turned on - and IMHO turning location off on the Galaxy Watch 4 kinda negates its main advantages over the Galaxy Watch (Google Maps, etc.).

If battery life is your overriding priority, and you don't care about the health and location-based features of the GW4, I would suggest that you buy an original Galaxy Watch, at a fraction of the price, and up to 2x the battery life.
I already have a S3 classic (still sitting on the desk). And it did suit me fine for years, except the battery is half worn-out now. Plus, it had no search capability, which is the killer feature I wanted in the GW4 (and doesn't really have it quite yet). I don't use the exercise/health or mapping. I use it mostly for time, calendar, notifications, weather, AOD, stopwatch, and occasional texting. Most of the other features are a waste on me, that is true. Of course, each person will have a set of features important to him/her; so it is nice to have lots of features to reach a broader customer base.

It is a bit annoying that the watch feels a bit like a beta, but I did expect that going into it (being the first WearOS 3 device, and buying it the moment it was released). But with regular updates, I am sure it will get worked out.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtOttawa

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
I already have a GW3 classic (still sitting on the desk). And it did suit me fine for years, except the battery is half worn-out now. Plus, it had no search capability, which is the killer feature I wanted in the GW4 (and doesn't really have it quite yet). I don't use the exercise/health or mapping. I use it mostly for time, calendar, notifications, weather, AOD, stopwatch, and occasional texting. Most of the other features are a waste on me, that is true. Of course, each person will have a set of features important to him/her; so it is nice to have lots of features to reach a broader customer base.

It is a bit annoying that the watch feels a bit like a beta, but I did expect that going into it (being the first WearOS 3 device, and buying it the moment it was released). But with regular updates, I am sure it will get worked out.
Fair enough. I passed on the Galaxy Watch as it didn't offer me any significant advantages over my Gear S3s (one of which I still have) and the GW3 seemed like a downgrade from the Galaxy Watch given the smaller battery (plus we didn't ever get the much-vaunted BP and ECG here in Canada - and still don't have it officially for the GW4).

BTW, I replaced the battery myself in both of my Gear S3s - you can order Samsung originals online, and installation is easy if you're careful and mechanically inclined. Not sure if that is the case for the GW3 and GW4, but something to keep in mind should you ever decide you'd like to extend the life of your watch.

crxssi

Jun 18, 2010
USA
Fair enough. I passed on the Galaxy Watch as it didn't offer me any significant advantages over my Gear S3s (one of which I still have) and the GW3 seemed like a downgrade from the Galaxy Watch given the smaller battery (plus we didn't ever get the much-vaunted BP and ECG here in Canada - and still don't have it officially for the GW4).

BTW, I replaced the battery myself in both of my Gear S3s - you can order Samsung originals online, and installation is easy if you're careful and mechanically inclined. Not sure if that is the case for the GW3 and GW4, but something to keep in mind should you ever decide you'd like to extend the life of your watch.
Sorry, I accidentally said GW3 when I meant S3. I corrected my posting, above. Like you, I passed on the Galaxy Watch (until 4) for the exact same reasons. Plus, I didn't like the horrible black bezel on the silver Classic (what was that about?)

Reactions: jtOttawa

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
Sorry, I accidentally said GW3 when I meant S3. I corrected my posting, above. Like you, I passed on the Galaxy Watch (until 4) for the exact same reasons. Plus, I didn't like the horrible black bezel on the silver Classic (what was that about?)
Agreed! Silver with the black bezel was the only option - much preferred (and still prefer) the look of the all-black S3. Plus, the battery life on the S3 was just fine as far as I was concerned - and with the new battery, I'm getting 3+ days again.

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
BTW, here's the link if you ever want to order original Samsung parts for your S3 (and I see they are just starting to get parts for the GW4): https://rounded.com/?subcats=Y&pcod...erformed=Y&q=gear+s3&dispatch=products.search

Reactions: crxssi

fliptwister

May 12, 2010
With location on, I would start the day with 100% and 6 hours in to the day I would have lost around 25%. With location off and under the same conditions, I would have lost around 16%. That's about 9% save over 6 hours. In both these situations, I'm assuming the same level of activity.
Can you clarify if you have LTE or non-LTE version of watch? Do you have "improve accuaracy" on? I have non-LTE Classic 46mm and I have location services on but improve accuracy off. I'm getting very good battery life and have never experienced loosing 25% in 6 hours. I'm getting about 2 1/2 days of battery life. What face are you using and is there something on your face which would be using location services? What apps do you have allowed in permissions? To determine this go into location in settings (on watch), then permissions, then allowed.

crxssi

Jun 18, 2010
USA
Interesting. I will try with location turned off, myself (it was on).
I notice no change in battery life between location on (with improve accuracy OFF) and with location off. Still around 25% over 9 hours (46mm non-LTE classic, AOD on, health stuff off, WiFi off, very sparce notifications, Watchmaker face).

amirage

Sep 1, 2010
Dubai
OnePlus Nord N100
Can you clarify if you have LTE or non-LTE version of watch? Do you have "improve accuaracy" on? I have non-LTE Classic 46mm and I have location services on but improve accuracy off. I'm getting very good battery life and have never experienced loosing 25% in 6 hours. I'm getting about 2 1/2 days of battery life. What face are you using and is there something on your face which would be using location services? What apps do you have allowed in permissions? To determine this go into location in settings (on watch), then permissions, then allowed.
I'm on non-LTE version and improve accuracy is switched off. I have the activity watch face which shows the steps counter, weather, heart rate etc. So, yes, health services are on which is one of the main reasons I got this watch. Notifications are also on for apps that I have enabled. I have limited location usage on almost all apps...Anyways, I'm still playing with the watch a lot so let's see once everything settles down...BTW on the update prior to the DUJA...I believe DUJA has a lot of battery improvements.

On a different note, I'm pondering whether to have AOD on or not...not sure how much of a battery impact will that have.

crxssi

Jun 18, 2010
USA
On a different note, I'm pondering whether to have AOD on or not...not sure how much of a battery impact will that have.
It isn't like you need to speculate. Just turn it on and see. AOD will drain the battery more than most anything else you can do with a non-LTE watch. It will easily will cut run time in at least half (when using a robust watchface). And since you will have to charge more often, it will also wear out the battery much more quickly (hopefully replacing the battery in the GW4/4C will not be a nightmare). But it is also awesome (and a "must" for me).

amirage

Sep 1, 2010
Dubai
OnePlus Nord N100
It isn't like you need to speculate. Just turn it on and see. AOD will drain the battery more than most anything else you can do with a non-LTE watch. It will easily will cut run time in at least half (when using a robust watchface). And since you will have to charge more often, it will also wear out the battery much more quickly (hopefully replacing the battery in the GW4/4C will not be a nightmare). But it is also awesome (and a "must" for me).
I think I'll pass on the AOD.

fliptwister

May 12, 2010
I'm on non-LTE version and improve accuracy is switched off. I have the activity watch face which shows the steps counter, weather, heart rate etc. So, yes, health services are on which is one of the main reasons I got this watch. Notifications are also on for apps that I have enabled. I have limited location usage on almost all apps...Anyways, I'm still playing with the watch a lot so let's see once everything settles down...BTW on the update prior to the DUJA...I believe DUJA has a lot of battery improvements.

It was not health services I was concerned with. Not sure how weather on face gets its information. I can't imagine it would use location from your watch but I don't know...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I already have a S3 classic (still sitting on the desk). And it did suit me fine for years, except the battery is half worn-out now. Plus, it had no search capability, which is the killer feature I wanted in the GW4 (and doesn't really have it quite yet). I don't use the exercise/health or mapping. I use it mostly for time, calendar, notifications, weather, AOD, stopwatch, and occasional texting. Most of the other features are a waste on me, that is true. Of course, each person will have a set of features important to him/her; so it is nice to have lots of features to reach a broader customer base.

BTW, here's the link if you ever want to order original Samsung parts for your S3 (and I see they are just starting to get parts for the GW4): https://rounded.com/?subcats=Y&pcod...erformed=Y&q=gear+s3&dispatch=products.search
    Kewl