Lock screen won't recognize PIN/Pattern bug?

Search This thread

majdcomp

• May 9, 2021
    I can't unlock my phone with the Pattern I assigned it. I always use the same Pattern, so I was pretty sure it's not an error. When I draw the pattern, it says "incorrect pattern" and makes me wait 30 seconds before trying again (from the first try).
    Luckily, I have access to Samsung's Find my Mobile, I unlocked the device, removed the lock. But every time I restart the device, the bugged lock screen would come back, and I would have to unlock the device again with Find my Mobile.
    please note that I can't set a new lock after unlocking the device, it will revert back to no lock after setting a new pattern/pin/password. definitely a bug.

if there is any method to fix this, or to reset Samsung's lock screen app, please let me know!
    my device is Samsung Galaxy A8+ in case anyone was curious.

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    I never set a lock on a phone or bios password on PCs... now you know why.
    You're lucky it was recoverable... some lockouts are not🤣
    Data corruption can trigger this and it's just random luck if it happens or not. Even if rare you can see the implications. You're now very close to being completely locked out as it stands🤣

You can try a clearing the system cache and data from the apk(s) controlling it.
    Try a hard reboot.
    Factory reset... if that fails it's probably hardware. Or simply keep it unlocked and in your possession at all times which is the best security.

majdcomp

• May 9, 2021
    Data corruption can trigger this and it's just random luck if it happens or not. Even if rare you can see the implications. You're now very close to being completely locked out as it stands🤣

You can try a clearing the system cache and data from the apk(s) controlling it.
    Try a hard reboot.
    Factory reset... if that fails it's probably hardware. Or simply keep it unlocked and in your possession at all times which is the best security.
    I'd like to keep it unlocked, yet as I mentioned, it will spring back again immediately as I restart the phone. It won't be funny to get my phone locked outside my home and not having a pc near to access find my mobile to unlock it 💔

I'm trying to avoid factory reset, too much data to back up and I'm quite lazy to do it 😂
    And it seems like there is no way to clear cache/data, as the Samsung's lock screen doesn't appear in storage/apps. (Or it is there with some strange system name?)

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    I'd like to keep it unlocked, yet as I mentioned, it will spring back again immediately as I restart the phone. It won't be funny to get my phone locked outside my home and not having a pc near to access find my mobile to unlock it 💔

I'm trying to avoid factory reset, too much data to back up and I'm quite lazy to do it 😂
    And it seems like there is no way to clear cache/data, as the Samsung's lock screen doesn't appear in storage/apps. (Or it is there with some strange system name?)

Oh my bad, it locks no matter what. That's not good.
    Boot menu>clear system cache (don't hit factory reset by accident).
    Google for the button sequence to hit for that model. Timing is critical, you might need to try more then once.
    That might get it.
    Try clearing the Dynamic Lock Screen data.

I would backup all critical data now if you haven't. Do not use Smart Switch to transfer settings if you do factory reset, ha-ha.
    Someone here probably has a better solution as I know little about this system.
    As always do a Google search, you can probably use solutions from other Samsung models going back a few years.

Erratic and strange behavior can also be a sign of a virus, rootkit etc.
    When in doubt, factory reset especially if you can't track down the root cause.
    Finding the root cause and correcting it is always preferable to a factory reset but not always possible. If the OS load is older then a year a factory reset be a good plan anyway... nothing like a clean, fresh OS.

Delete your Google account before you factory reset so that doesn't password pester you. I'm told if you reset from settings vs the boot menu that doesn't happen. Not sure haven't tried a factory reset that way.

Reactions: sammiev

jwoegerbauer

• Jul 11, 2009
    European Union
    If it's of any interest here:

On Android the pattern lock data (SHA-encrypted) is kept in a file named gesture.key and stored in the /data/system folder.

If phone's Android is rooted you simply delete that file to bypass the pattern lock. Using ADB you would run command sequence

Code:
    adb devices
    adb shell "rm -f /data/system/gesture.key"

to achieve this.

The phone should be now accessible with no pattern lock applied.

Reactions: vp1117

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Try a hard reboot.

This thread may help you as it helped me. Read the full thread first.
      https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/solved-samsung-a20-twrp-restore-data-sm-205w.4261401/

Oh my bad, it locks no matter what. That's not good.
      Boot menu>clear system cache (don't hit factory reset by accident).
      Google for the button sequence to hit for that model. Timing is critical, you might need to try more then once.
      That might get it.
      Try clearing the Dynamic Lock Screen data.

I would backup all critical data now if you haven't. Do not use Smart Switch to transfer settings if you do factory reset, ha-ha.
      Someone here probably has a better solution as I know little about this system.
      As always do a Google search, you can probably use solutions from other Samsung models going back a few years.

Erratic and strange behavior can also be a sign of a virus, rootkit etc.
      When in doubt, factory reset especially if you can't track down the root cause.
      Finding the root cause and correcting it is always preferable to a factory reset but not always possible. If the OS load is older then a year a factory reset be a good plan anyway... nothing like a clean, fresh OS.

Delete your Google account before you factory reset so that doesn't password pester you. I'm told if you reset from settings vs the boot menu that doesn't happen. Not sure haven't tried a factory reset that way.
      Can you do that on a stock Android that's not rooted?
      You would need to be rooted.
      You would need to be rooted.
      I read if you load TWRP you'll lose things like Samsung Pay.
      Seems risky at least to me. I like to play with it but don't have a phone to burn.
      A factory reset for me at this point is fairly painless ie no data loss and takes under a couple hours.