• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[LOCKED BOOTLOADER] Temporary TWRP 3.3.1 for Samsung Galaxy S7 (Snapdragon) G930XX

Search This thread

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
https%3A%2F%2Fwww1-lw.xda-cdn.com%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F12%2Fteamwin-recovery-project-twrp-logo.jpg

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.​
Code:
 * [B][U]Your warranty is now void.[/U][/B]
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or your getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

DOWNLOAD:
Download TWRP from here

HOW DO I ENTER RECOVERY:
- Flash ENG OREO RECOVERY via Odin in AP slot
- Reboot into recovery
If you are on android 8.0 and this is first time using this TWRP you need to install modified fstab.qcom into /system/vendor/etc if not you will fall into encryption issues
WARNING: this require data wipe otherwise skip over next step
- Windows user: Run fstab.bat
- Linux user: Run fstab.sh in terminal
- Wipe data/factory reset
To enter TWRP recovery
- Windows: Run twrp.bat
- Linux: Run twrp.sh in terminal

BUGS:
- MTP

@jrkruse for most stuff, guides and help
Hashcode
TWRP team
jcadduono for device tree

Last edited:

Witchslayer17

Dec 22, 2017
Sorry, but your instructions are somewhat vague. I can't seem to be able to run TWRP.bat while in Recovery. I was able to flash the fstab.bat, but only when the phone was booted and debugging is on. Trying TWRP while booted into the system doesn't work either.

I've also tried manually copying in the files, and then running Hijack, but that doesn't seem to work. Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but this sounds really good regardless :D

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
is there more detailed instructions on how this works?

OK, flash the ENG Recovery via odin, then boot into recovery by key combination (Vol up + Power + Home) after it show Android Recovery blah blah blah Reboot... Wipe .... and other stuff this clear that you are in the recovery.
Connect your USB cable.
Ask your self, Do I have OREO? which is Android 8.0 If yes read the red lines if no skip them
Backup your data/internal sdcard, this step wipe data/internal sdcard
You need to run the fstab.bat in windows screen. After this step you need to wipe data from the stock recovery declared above so we can bypass data encryption.

The last step is to run the twrp.bat while you still in recovery.

Dont do those steps while you are booted and running system.

Last edited:

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
Sorry, but your instructions are somewhat vague. I can't seem to be able to run TWRP.bat while in Recovery. I was able to flash the fstab.bat, but only when the phone was booted and debugging is on. Trying TWRP while booted into the system doesn't work either.

I've also tried manually copying in the files, and then running Hijack, but that doesn't seem to work. Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but this sounds really good regardless :D

the steps are clear and state that you need ENG Recovery and we will do the steps while we are in recovery

Darth-Kadd

May 18, 2014
Toronto, Canada
OK, flash the ENG Recovery via odin, then boot into recovery by key combination (Vol up + Power + Home) after it show Android Recovery blah blah blah Reboot... Wipe .... and other stuff this clear that you are in the recovery.
Connect your USB cable.
Ask your self, Do I have OREO? which is Android 8.0 If yes read the red lines if no skip them
Backup your data/internal sdcard, this step wipe data/internal sdcard
You need to run the fstab.bat in windows screen. After this step you need to wipe data from the stock recovery declared above so we can bypass data encryption.

The last step is to run the twrp.bat while you still in recovery.

Dont do those steps while you are booted and running system.

Thanks but I actually rooted it already using a different method.
https://www.****************/2018/07/22/how-to-root-snapdragon-galaxy-s7-and-s7-edge-on-android-8-0-oreo/

****************/2018/07/22/how-to-root-snapdragon-galaxy-s7-and-s7-edge-on-android-8-0-oreo/

flash eng boot from the site above with their modified Odin and make sure you open odin as administrator (if you don't, odin flash will fail)
after that, boot into system and use the root.bat that came with the zip you downloaded from the site above and then factory reset and you should have root. Worked for me using G930U oreo

Last edited:
Reactions: mlongue1

X1z00t

Oct 23, 2018
I am using a Galaxy S7 Snapdragon and I tried this method. I have a few questions. I followed the process you described.

1. Flashed ENG_Recovery
2. Ran the Fstab.bat
3. Ran the twrp.bat file in recovery
4. I also included a wipe for good measure.

My questions are the following:

1. Is this temporary TWRP meant for one-time use?
2. When I flashed the twrp.bat file the screen went black and nothing happened. I did a restart and restored from backups just fine. I don't worry about backups because I have several redundant copies in the cloud.

Does this simply remove the lock on the recovery partition temporarily? I just want to flash Magisk so I can move away from SU since it's not getting additional support.

Let me know. I don't know what the applications are here, whether I can flash a ROM with a one-time use or something else. I'm just curious as to what the intent is here when you created this so I can get the best use out of this thread. Thanks for posting.

Here is additional info after running twrp.bat from recovery. P.S. I was using Windows for this attempt.

Waiting for the phone to be connected ...
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
error: protocol fault (couldn't read status): Connection reset by peer
Device connected ...

could not read ok from ADB Server
* failed to start daemon
adb: error: failed to get feature set: cannot connect to daemon
bbx: 1 file pushed. 20.4 MB/s (816056 bytes in 0.038s)
hijack: 1 file pushed. 0.4 MB/s (2015 bytes in 0.005s)
propClient: PropClient failed to load
gzip: /tmp/ramdisk-recovery.img: No such file or directory
chmod: /sbin/ueventd.old: No such file or directory
chmod: /sbin/watchdogd.old: No such file or directory

Last edited:

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
I am using a Galaxy S7 Snapdragon and I tried this method. I have a few questions. I followed the process you described.

1. Flashed ENG_Recovery
2. Ran the Fstab.bat
3. Ran the twrp.bat file in recovery
4. I also included a wipe for good measure.

My questions are the following:

1. Is this temporary TWRP meant for one-time use?
2. When I flashed the twrp.bat file the screen went black and nothing happened. I did a restart and restored from backups just fine. I don't worry about backups because I have several redundant copies in the cloud.

Does this simply remove the lock on the recovery partition temporarily? I just want to flash Magisk so I can move away from SU since it's not getting additional support.

Let me know. I don't know what the applications are here, whether I can flash a ROM with a one-time use or something else. I'm just curious as to what the intent is here when you created this so I can get the best use out of this thread. Thanks for posting.

Here is additional info after running twrp.bat from recovery. P.S. I was using Windows for this attempt.

Waiting for the phone to be connected ...
* daemon started successfully
error: protocol fault (couldn't read status): Connection reset by peer
Device connected ...

could not read ok from ADB Server
* failed to start daemon
adb: error: failed to get feature set: cannot connect to daemon
bbx: 1 file pushed. 20.4 MB/s (816056 bytes in 0.038s)
hijack: 1 file pushed. 0.4 MB/s (2015 bytes in 0.005s)
gzip: /tmp/ramdisk-recovery.img: No such file or directory
chmod: /sbin/ueventd.old: No such file or directory
chmod: /sbin/watchdogd.old: No such file or directory

TWRP will run one time so next reboot will get you into stock recovery.
the bat file doesn't run successfully!
I think you are unlocked? so you can flash regular TWRP and install root?

Reactions: X1z00t

X1z00t

Oct 23, 2018
I'll post again with my logs for the Linux attempt I did using Heimdall instead of Odin. I don't have access to my logs right now. I'll edit this post for anyone who wants to try it.

The Linux attempt worked and I had a one-time TWRP install. The only problem was that I tripped encryption when I tried to flash Magisk through TWRP.

It's strange, but I got Clockwork to work once. I just don't remember how.

doixanh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 23, 2011
I confirm that this works on my G930P. I can boot to TWRP from eng recovery.

This should make life easier :)

sylikc

Mar 20, 2012
City of Angels
Oh my word. a temporary TWRP.... it's a dream come true. Thanks a lot devs!

I'm still on Nougat so far having seen all the root flashing problems, but wow, time to move to Oreo to get this very very nifty TWRP hack

Reactions: Scottie32583

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
Oh my word. a temporary TWRP.... it's a dream come true. Thanks a lot devs!

I'm still on Nougat so far having seen all the root flashing problems, but wow, time to move to Oreo to get this very very nifty TWRP hack

I think you can flash eng recovery over nougat bootloader.

lvpre

Jun 23, 2011

matt1285

Oct 6, 2016
Ok...call me retarded but first question. Do you have to be rooted in order to do this procedure? And second. How do you install modified fstab.qcom and where do I find this file?

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

And what do I do after...can I flash the other boot in ap and unroot...all I wanna do is get dolby atmos in my phone so I can have louder volume...that is the only app I have ever com across in s7 that has actually worked...I dont want root because it drains my battery insanely fast like in 2 hours...any help is greatly appreciated...if anyone who's how i can get dolby atmos in my phone and still maintain it unrooted on stock g930u and can post a link or give instructions I would be eternally grateful

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
Ok...call me retarded but first question. Do you have to be rooted in order to do this procedure? And second. How do you install modified fstab.qcom and where do I find this file?

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

And what do I do after...can I flash the other boot in ap and unroot...all I wanna do is get dolby atmos in my phone so I can have louder volume...that is the only app I have ever com across in s7 that has actually worked...I dont want root because it drains my battery insanely fast like in 2 hours...any help is greatly appreciated...if anyone who's how i can get dolby atmos in my phone and still maintain it unrooted on stock g930u and can post a link or give instructions I would be eternally grateful

No need to root.

If you are on Oreo just run fstab.bat while you are on eng recovery then wipe data.
If you are on nougat skip this step and run twrp.bat from eng recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https%3A%2F%2Fwww1-lw.xda-cdn.com%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F12%2Fteamwin-recovery-project-twrp-logo.jpg

Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.​
    Code:
     * [B][U]Your warranty is now void.[/U][/B]
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or your getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

DOWNLOAD:
    Download TWRP from here

HOW DO I ENTER RECOVERY:
    - Flash ENG OREO RECOVERY via Odin in AP slot
    - Reboot into recovery
    If you are on android 8.0 and this is first time using this TWRP you need to install modified fstab.qcom into /system/vendor/etc if not you will fall into encryption issues
    WARNING: this require data wipe otherwise skip over next step
    - Windows user: Run fstab.bat
    - Linux user: Run fstab.sh in terminal
    - Wipe data/factory reset
    To enter TWRP recovery
    - Windows: Run twrp.bat
    - Linux: Run twrp.sh in terminal

BUGS:
    - MTP

@jrkruse for most stuff, guides and help
    Hashcode
    TWRP team
    jcadduono for device tree
    U know...there's no reason to talk to me that way. I can derstand the frustration you guys have with those who come here to learn... asking questions when they could be reading on their own. All that is needed to say is that there are other steps needing researched before you start playing with the things in this thread. No problem. The condescending tone is not needed. I am much appreciative of the advice and help so don't think that. Yes..I do have more researching to do. Im the first to admit that. I don't need to be treated like a child though. I'll take constructive criticism..I need it to learn. I am aware of my limitations or else I wouldn't be coming to these forums. If I ask about things in the wrong threads then I should be told that..that's fine..and I expect it. I get a push in the right direction and I go from there. I apologize for my short last response. It was out of frustration to how I was being talked to. No..I didn't look super hard....just spent about 40 min....so I will look some more. I realize this isn't a quick process...and I will keep coming g back since this place does have a good reputation.

Your right but I was try to get through to you to read before you start flashing. You had tmp twrp installed and first thing you are doing is flashing magisk which doesn’t work on locked bootloader . If you would have taking the time to read the my threads like I told you instead you came back with a Thanks but im not looking for nougat im on oreo. Well that told me right there you spent zero time looking through the threads as you didn’t even see I have oreo root 3 different oreo type of rom installs with tmp safestrap and root. Take some time and read. Having twrp on a locked bootloader will get you in trouble in a big hurry if you don’t know what you are doing. Thats the main thing I just want you too not brick your phone

Sent using some kind of device I modified
    Then you obviously haven’t went to the threads

U know...there's no reason to talk to me that way. I can derstand the frustration you guys have with those who come here to learn... asking questions when they could be reading on their own. All that is needed to say is that there are other steps needing researched before you start playing with the things in this thread. No problem. The condescending tone is not needed. I am much appreciative of the advice and help so don't think that. Yes..I do have more researching to do. Im the first to admit that. I don't need to be treated like a child though. I'll take constructive criticism..I need it to learn. I am aware of my limitations or else I wouldn't be coming to these forums. If I ask about things in the wrong threads then I should be told that..that's fine..and I expect it. I get a push in the right direction and I go from there. I apologize for my short last response. It was out of frustration to how I was being talked to. No..I didn't look super hard....just spent about 40 min....so I will look some more. I realize this isn't a quick process...and I will keep coming g back since this place does have a good reputation.
    Whenever I tried to flash ENG_Recovery on the AP slot on Odin, it failed and gave me this:

Code:
    <ID:0/005> Added!!

<ID:0/005> Odin engine v(ID:3.1101)..

<ID:0/005> File analysis..

<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..

<ID:0/005> Initialzation..

<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..

<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..

<ID:0/005> SingleDownload.

<ID:0/005> recovery.img

<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!! 

<ID:0/005> RQT_CLOSE !!

<ID:0/005> 

<ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.

<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Also, on my S7 Snapdragon's screen on Download Mode, there is red text saying

Code:
    SW REV CHECK FAIL : [recovery]Fused 8 > Binary 1

Earlier today, I was having an issue with my S7 and decided to boot into recovery mode. When I did that, the phone gave me a "No command" error. I tried rebooting the phone and all the phone did was say "RECOVERY BOOTING" and wouldn't boot back to the normal Android 8 OS. Any help would be appreciated.

Reboot to download and flash the correct firmware