• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

locking up and rebooting now with ICS.....

Search This thread

jdbaker82

Dec 21, 2011
Twice now in the last 40 minutes since updating to ICS my screen has locked up in a browser and in a game and then restarted itself..... anyone else?

UPDATE:

- Short and sweet so you don't have to read through 30 pages.

- If your Prime has this problem either
A.) Return to store for refund or exchange and pray you get a newer unit without the different hardware/firmware version
B.) Call ASUS RMA it and pray they can finally get something right.
C.) Sit on your hands while you wait to see if ASUS can somehow figure out a magical firmware patch that will play nice with both older and newer Primes..... all the while getting frustrated with a prime that can be used as a paper weight.

I recommend A I found a new prime from HHGregg and it works just fine and I am finally happy again but still pissed at ASUS for this huge quality control blunder.

update 1/31

here is exactly the reason you do not want to rma to Asus.

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1474354

Last edited:
Reactions: PrimeTimeBro

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Everything has been running great for me. Maybe try rebooting Prime for a fresh start up. might fix it. mine hasn't locked up or anything.

pyro6128

Nov 21, 2010
Mine is locking up non stop. I can't even boot to the home screen most of the time. And when it does it'll lock up after a bit and go into more boot loops

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jondroot

Nov 13, 2011
Mines actually running amazingly well perfect transition its like a new tablet... Oh wait lol

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

Summdumkid

Jan 2, 2012
Chico, CA
I can say that my TP is also restarting over and over again. I can't get anything done. Just got it in the mail today. Haven't touched it besides firmware updates.

JanetPanic

Oct 17, 2005
Rockville, MD
Mine has been stable. The only FC I got was on engadget on their live feed from the nvidia presentation. Reopened the browser and everything was fine (including the engadget page).

I have been in both gmail and exchange, world of goo, tapatalk, newsrob, reddita, etc... with no problems.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

nerdninja

Aug 25, 2009
Constant locking and rebooting here. Never rooted.

I've done the factory wipe twice. Still doing it.

This time I wiped and didnt sync with my Google account in case its some data thats being restored thats causing it.

Ive had no problems until the update

jg10571

Oct 13, 2010
I updated to ICS last night and it rebooted at least 6 times in 1 hour. Couldn't take it anymore. I've only had the tablet for a week with no issues before update..Hope Asus didn't release a bad update...that would suck.
Thinking about doing a full data wipe and factory reset. Has anyone already tried this?

nerdninja

Aug 25, 2009
Just did it again with no apps loaded or anything. Every 20 minutes or so

I loved this tablet until now. I'm so frustrated

primetimex

Jan 10, 2012
I had made a separate post this AM on this topic; but i have the same issue.

not rooted
never had a reboot or issue till last nights update

it boots and loads, i get in for about 1-5 mins and then it locks up and freezes for 10 seconds and does a quick book loop, then repeat.. over and over.

i have so many apps and settings i am dreading a factory reset, since it hasn't worked for anyone else i will hold off..

any other ideas?

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

was thinking maybe we should get our heads together and see if we have a common app or setting that is causing it.

but people have said they did a factory reset and it didn't fix it with no apps, so i am lost.

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

One clue I may have is that it only happens after the screen is unlocked.. if you leave the screen locked all day it won't reboot.

Once you unlock the screen its like a ticking time bomb. i've tried stopping all running services as well the second i unlock.

m.a.s.e

Oct 3, 2011
Frisco, Texas
same here

same issue here
never rooted
never had issues
once upgraded constant reboots
also noticed google + force close every time.
i guess its not just 1 or 2 people....
hope asus will push another update soon

nerdninja

Aug 25, 2009

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

was thinking maybe we should get our heads together and see if we have a common app or setting that is causing it.

but people have said they did a factory reset and it didn't fix it with no apps, so i am lost.

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

One clue I may have is that it only happens after the screen is unlocked.. if you leave the screen locked all day it won't reboot.

Once you unlock the screen its like a ticking time bomb. i've tried stopping all running services as well the second i unlock.

I can't seem to find a common thread among all of my experiments. I've wiped three times now (third time I got the message about upgrading and updating apps again, but it's still doing it), I've tried wiping and not using any Google accounts, I've tried using my Google account but not restoring, I've tried wiping data in all of my apps, I've tried killing all running services. I've removed my microSD card and it still happens. It also happened to me in all of the power modes. Actually, I haven't tried "power saver."

Seems to happen every 15-20 minutes, but I've also had it happen immediately after a reboot.

I wonder if it's due to the rumored overclock. I hope it's not a hardware issue.

Prior to the update I had zero issues with anything, including GPS or wifi.

primetimex

Jan 10, 2012
I can't seem to find a common thread among all of my experiments. I've wiped three times now (third time I got the message about upgrading and updating apps again, but it's still doing it), I've tried wiping and not using any Google accounts, I've tried using my Google account but not restoring, I've tried wiping data in all of my apps, I've tried killing all running services. I've removed my microSD card and it still happens. It also happened to me in all of the power modes. Actually, I haven't tried "power saver."

Seems to happen every 15-20 minutes, but I've also had it happen immediately after a reboot.

I wonder if it's due to the rumored overclock. I hope it's not a hardware issue.

Prior to the update I had zero issues with anything, including GPS or wifi.

yup i am in the same boat as you and have tried basically everything you have minus the reset. since it doesn't seem to be a solution I am going to hold off.

pyro6128

Nov 21, 2010
same thing happening with mine, tried the data wipes and resets. I'm at a loss

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

primetimex

Jan 10, 2012
my latest attempt is turn on auto brightness and leave it in powersave mode.. its been up 5 mins.. which is a record today.

Doktaphex

Oct 18, 2010
Earth
Probably due to the update not wiping system. Hopefully when ASUS upload the zip to the support site, you'll be able to sort it out. Could be a few days till that happens though. :(

nerdninja

Aug 25, 2009
my latest attempt is turn on auto brightness and leave it in powersave mode.. its been up 5 mins.. which is a record today.

I'm also trying it in powersave mode and it seems to be running better now. I'm about ten minutes in, currently streaming something in Netflix with no problems.

***And as I was typing that the thing rebooted again. Not tied to the power mode***

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We should have replication testing finished shortly on the lock and reboot problems after the ICS update. I will start an official thread on it after discussions with R&D tomorrow but two potential problems that occur after the update with a particular system setting have been isolated with Nvidia and Google for corrective action.
    thats sucks man... so sorry to hear(read) that.... yeah i can def confirm your unlucky twice.... as long as we wont hear from asus i guess we will never know....

can someone please explain to me how none of the major sites (engadgets etc) wrote anything about this? ??

Because so far all of the sites have not had any issues updating to ICS. ;)

We are investigating these problems and so far a common theme is the system has been rooted (or a failed root with previous unlock utilities) and through that process the ICS update is not completing properly, mind you not on all rooted systems but several problem units were rooted. The common theme to this problem is the system goes blank and does not recover or the system constantly reboots without ever making it to the desktop.

The next area of investigation is split into three categories.

1. Screen with lines (looks like blinds half open) and it appears during the update there might be a problem with power consumption settings, especially if the unit was low on power, on battery or on power savings. We think we have replicated a series of events that create this problem. In the meantime, please contact service for a replacement RMA.

2. Diagonal flickering on the screen occurs after the update. We have replicated this problem and hopefully will be able to patch it without the user needing to return the unit. If you are not willing to wait, please contact service for a replacement RMA.

3. Locking up and rebooting problems where the system will just stop and reboot or hard lock after the update. We are still trying to replicate this issue. If you have this problem and have not rooted the system, please PM me as we would like to exchange units so we can track this down quickly.
    Clearing Up The Details

I see there has been a lot of activity since I went to bed last night!

I want to clear a few things up.

1. The definition of the core problem covered in this thread: "Constant locking-up & rebooting of the unit caused after upgrading from HoneyComb .33 to the Ice Cream sandwich OTA that was pushed out Monday."

2. None of the people with the lock-up/rebooting issue (at least in this thread) had a rooted unit before attempting to update to ICS. If Gary works with ASUS, then he likely has a different sample of end-users to poll from - it may be that with them the "common theme is the system has been rooted or failed to root," but it definitely isn't here on XDA. Gary may also be referring to the entire gamut of issues with that people have been calling in with the Prime, whereas we're just focused on one (see #1).

3. Downgrading has not been possible (that I know of) using the .zip files posted on ASUS' site. From what I understand, these are "update" files, as opposed to being a complete "OS in a zip," if you will. They are additive, and dependant upon an upgrade path, so "replacing" an existing install of ICS with a previous version of HC has not yet been possible. We (XDA) do have whole system dumps of the tablets on both .29 and .33, so once ASUS provides the bootloader unlock tool, we'll be able to flash those.

4. The mod who determined that this thread be moved to the Q&A section knows what he/she is doing. I wouldn't worry that it points to some conspiracy theory about trying to hide this issue. =) It's just part of the clean-up that often needs to be done in these forums. With the number of people posting about problems or to complain about this or that (I saw a thread the other day about not getting a kanye west video to work... are you kidding me?), this cleaning desperately needed to be done and I'm thankful for it.

5. The fact that m.a.s.e.'s posts to ASUS' sites for help were deleted is a little shady though. =)

6. This issue (again, see #1) has been reported on publicly; not by sites the size of engadget, but nonetheless there has been some coverage, which I very much appreciate. Here are the articles from TalkAndroid and
    Android Police.

7. Based on troubleshooting and issue reporting so far, there has been nothing to truly rule out software or hardware entirely - it could easily be a combination of both. I'm hesistant to acknowledge the "bad batch" theory (even though iisargeii has had such horrible luck!), but I can't entirely dismiss it either. It could simply be that sometimes, when the stars align just right, the flash-to-ICS process doesn't go the way it should, even though we didn't do anything wrong, thus leading to this problem. If it's hardware, RMA will be our only solution. If it's software, we'll find out through troubleshooting (which I don't mind doing, I've got time).

8. Compared to the vast number of Primes sold, even though there are a lot of people with issues in this thread, and a few others on XDA, we are still a tiny, almost insignificant percentage. Because of this, it may be more efficient from ASUS' perspective to simply RMA/replace units exhibiting these problems, rather than expend the resources required to fully troubleshoot, replicate, and create a "patch" for these issues. I could also be entirely wrong on that.

9. Regardless of the fact that we're a "small percentage," there are still plenty of us, and our beef is valid. An OTA bricked our tablets. Whether it came from Google or ASUS is moot - it's an "unskippable" OTA, so we need a fix.

Here is a quick account of the users who have posted with this constant freezing/rebooting issue:

Code:
    jdbaker82 (x2!!) 
    pyro6128
    nerdninja
    jg10571
    primetimex
    m.a.s.e.
    xvsacme (hey that's me)
    otgwindow
    Zaiden
    Summdumkid
    catlovrs
    HoOnZ
    nslayden
    Poloasis (the one person who actually was rooted beforehand (post #113))
    grusher
    tornado82
    robstitt
    fenturi
    i3oomhower
    camelontherun
    haldunithan
    SF-IT-Guy
    shawnfr
    TheNostaw
    AndroidPhan
    RamAir02
    gsmiley
    indiscriminant (whose screen banding issue turned into lock-ups/reboots issue (post #225))
    ragesoss
    ecocd
    iisargeii (x2, hopefully not x3!)
    Hozuko
    Dan1ve
    LiqMat
    PrimeTablet-DebA
    mikeyboy956
    cykotix
    Genobee
    koooldude
    rochrunner
    riker147
    Frooty
    Bragabondio
    liltizzel
    militarymedic23
    pceasar
    roachdabug
    WWWestonC
    crzyricn
    Silvaran
    ryan562
    vwrabbit
    skewbasteve
    nstallion
    jclaseman
    Zandra
    mikeyboy956
    EskimoPie
    jfranco328
    hiphopshaker69

And there may be others who haven't posted but are simply watching this thread in hopes that we'll come to some sort of resolution. Feel free to shout out, if that's you.
    Pretty sad ASUS has no answer for this yet how long will it take them?

Your negativity to everything related to the TF Prime is not appreciated. I don't even have one, and it's getting annoying. You don't like the TF Prime. That's great. Go get something else or move on. There's an ASUS employee who has said updates are coming - and you just can't let it go. You gotta whine and complain more and try and stop others from troubleshooting.
    I have OS Monitor and I've started that running alogcat. Will that grab what we might be looking for just in case it does shut down and go into Safe Mode?

That is likely; it certainly couldn't hurt to try! Thanks for that. I'm not sure if there'd be a way to go back and look at this point, but that's fine.

General update: I've traded a few PMs with Gary Key. I apprised him of the general troubleshooting we've done, showed him the growing list of affected (unrooted!) users, and gave him my own full S/N and contact information. He's going to have an engineer or tech contact me directly to get some information about my Prime. I'll ask about safe mode and what other changes they made in 9.4.2.9, and share what I learn. Gary's traveling this week, so I'm not sure how quickly he'll be able to get an Official ASUS Thread started for this issue, but keep an eye out. (I've made updates about this and other things to our document).

As a reminder, the end result of all this may not be as simple as a software patch - the official resolution may be that we have to send our units in for hardware repair or replacement. I don't really mind which, I just want my superamazing tablet back. Anyway, for those of you with the luxury of time to do so - hang in there! :D