LOKI'd jfltexx TWRP for ATT/VZW S4

Search This thread

mattgyver

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee - Cookie Monster
Staff member
All credit goes to @Dees_Troy and TeamWin for their work on the TWRP recovery, and @djrbliss for his developing of the loki tools. As I'm not developing anything, just sharing the patched image, I didn't feel that this should be in the development forum, but rather general.

This is a loki-patched version of TWRP so that the ATT S4 and VZW S4 users can flash newer ROMs that require the latest TWRP for compatibility. I chose to use the latest stable JFLTEXX TWRP, instead of the carrier variants, as JFLTEXX is compatible with both JFLTEATT and JFLTEVZW devices. I tried JFLTE TWRP, but I couldn't get it to boot to recovery after patching and flashing.

Most ROMs for JFLTE devices will have the following disclaimer:
AT&T USERS: since your bootloader is locked, you must be on the UCUAMDB or UCUAMDL bootloader.
VERIZON USERS: since your bootloader is locked, you must be on the VRUAMDK bootloader.

Do 'getprop ro.bootloader' in Terminal Emulator or through ADB shell to find out which bootloader you have.

If that pertains to you, and you want to give the recent pie ROMs being developed by devs like @side and @Buff99 a shot, this TWRP version is needed.

If your S4 DOESN'T have one of those listed bootloaders, but it IS either JFLTEATT or JFLTEVZW, read below, as you are on a bootloader that has been patched to block the Loki exploit:

Read @Hashcode's post HERE for info on SafeStrap, and what you'll be able to flash. I'm almost positive (iirc) safestrap means you can only flash stock-based ROMs.

Downloads:
IMG (using ATT aboot) (AFH)
IMG (using VZW aboot) (AFH) (thanks @grantd!)

ZIP (AFH)
  • work's for both carrier variants, as it check's against device bootloader to install proper recovery
  • ONLY ATT recovery is 3.3.1-0. VZW is still 3.2.3-0 as I don't have a VZW aboot.img to work with

TWRP variant: JFLTEXX
TWRP version: 3.3.1-0

IMG Steps:
1. Download to phone
2. Boot to recovery
5. Tap Install
4. Tap Install Image
5. Navigate to folder you saved the patched img to and select it
6. /** IMPORTANT!!! */ SELECT RECOVERY for which partition to flash image to.
7. Swipe to flash
8. Go back to TWRP main screen and reboot to recovery.
9. You should be good to go on 3.2.3-0!

ZIP Steps:
1. Download to phone
2. Boot to recovery
5. Tap Install
4. Navigate to folder you saved the patched zip to, and select it
5. Swipe to flash
6. Go back to TWRP main screen and reboot to recovery.
7. You should be good to go on 3.2.3-0!

Re-read instructions and realize I skipped 3 (just making sure you read the instructions ;) )
King Arthur: "1, 2, 5."
Sir Bedevere: "3, sir...."
King Arthur: "3."

Old versions:
3.2.3-0 - ATT IMG
3.2.3-0 v2.1 ZIP

Last edited:

mattgyver

Staff member
Good job someone's on the ball.
Cheers @mattgyver
You guys are doing the hard part. I just wanted to be able to partake in it all :D
It may not be much of a contribution, but this should help the people on those wonky bootloaders at least try out the ROMs.

Reactions: side and Buff99

StoneyJSG

Jul 28, 2014
My AT&T s4 is on MDL with clockwork mod while my Verizon variant that I got from a friend is on a bootloader that has patched the Loki exploit (sadly). Does this need to be flashed with ODIN or from my current custom recovery?

mattgyver

Staff member
My AT&T s4 is on MDL with clockwork mod while my Verizon variant that I got from a friend is on a bootloader that has patched the Loki exploit (sadly). Does this need to be flashed with ODIN or from my current custom recovery?

You should be able to use the Official TWRP Manager app to flash the downloaded img file.
1. Download Official TWRP Manager app
2. Run it (obviously)
3. Tap Backup existing recovery, choose a folder to back it up to, and tap Backup Recovery - not required, but seriously, backups are lifesavers when things go wonky.
4. Go back to the main screen and tap TWRP Flash
5. It should see your device as jflteatt, if not, tap Select Device, and find jflteatt in the list. It may prompt about downloading the latest twrp from them. safely ignore it.
6. Tap Select a File to Flash and navigate to, and choose the patched twrp img. Tap Select (1).
7. Tap Flash to Recovery.

That SHOULD work. I don't see why it wouldn't, since the recovery partition is the same partition, regardless of WHAT recovery resides on it. I'll make a flashable zip file up. It may be easier, and faster :D

Reactions: StoneyJSG

mattgyver

Staff member
TWRP/CWM Flashable ZIP added to the OP.

Reactions: StoneyJSG

mattgyver

Staff member
How to flash this recovery through pc? As i am on stock rom and recovery
I guess first thing first:
  • are you rooted?
  • are you on one of the aforementioned bootloaders (check the OP to see how to find out)?
  • which carrier variant S4 do you have (ATT, VZW, or other)?
  • Have you EVER taken an OTA from your carrier?

Reactions: imrananis

neilpatel99

Feb 17, 2015
My bootloader is I337UCUFNB1. My phone's rooted . Can I still install this and flash optimised lineage 16.0?

mattgyver

Staff member
My bootloader is I337UCUFNB1. My phone's rooted . Can I still install this and flash optimised lineage 16.0?
Nope (to this recovery, at least). If you aren't on one of the bootloaders I mentioned in the OP, you're SafeStrapped and there are limitations to what you can flash.

Read HERE for info on SafeStrap, and what you'll be able to flash. I'm almost positive (iirc) safestrap means you can only flash stock-based ROMs.

I'll add the link to the OP. I figured someone on a different bootloader would ask eventually.. :D

raydantheman

Oct 22, 2014
OnePlus 6T
Hi, I have an S4 SGH-I337Z. I am rooted with skyfall OS and TWRP 2.8.4.0 and my boot loader is I337ZTUUBND3. I tried to install TWRP 3.2.3.0(via the ZIP method and the IMG method) so that I could install AOSP Extended Pie ROM but it put me into download mode. I, then, had to use ODIN to put the old TWRP 2.8.4.0 back in place so I could get back into TWRP recovery. Can someone please help me out and point me in the right direction?

Thanks! :)

mattgyver

Staff member
Hi, I have an S4 SGH-I337Z. I am rooted with skyfall OS and TWRP 2.8.4.0 and my boot loader is I337ZTUUBND3. I tried to install TWRP 3.2.3.0(via the ZIP method and the IMG method) so that I could install AOSP Extended Pie ROM but it put me into download mode. I, then, had to use ODIN to put the old TWRP 2.8.4.0 back in place so I could get back into TWRP recovery. Can someone please help me out and point me in the right direction?

Thanks! :)

You can't use the Pie ROMs. Unfortunately, you're on a safestrapped bootloader, so you're limited to touchwiz-based ROMs. Look at my post directly before yours so that you can get all the information you need.

raydantheman

Oct 22, 2014
OnePlus 6T
You can't use the Pie ROMs. Unfortunately, you're on a safestrapped bootloader, so you're limited to touchwiz-based ROMs. Look at my post directly before yours so that you can get all the information you need.

Are you sure I'm on a safestrapped bootloader? The reason I ask is that I am on a Cricket device and not AT&T...Not sure if that makes any difference. :confused:

mattgyver

Staff member
Are you sure I'm on a safestrapped bootloader? The reason I ask is that I am on a Cricket device and not AT&T...Not sure if that makes any difference. :confused:
Yes.
The I337Z (AIO / CRICKET GALAXY S4 / jflteaio) is a variant of the I337. Cricket is owned by AT&T. The I337M (Canadian) doesn't have similar limitations from what I've seen over the last few years..

Have a look at this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2634367. I can't find any evidence to the contrary that you are safestrapped.

Last edited:

raydantheman

Oct 22, 2014
OnePlus 6T
Okay here's an update on my progress. I finally found the TWRP 3.2.3-0 that works with the Cricket/AIO variant! To be clear and forewarned, I have only tested this process on the SGH-I337Z.
My bootloader version is I337ZTUUBND3.

Here are the steps:

1. First, go to the TWRP website and click on "Samsung Galaxy S4 (Qualcomm) (jflte)"
2. On that page, scroll down to "International, Americas & China:" and under that choose the "Primary (Americas)"
3. Download the .img file and then follow steps from the OP to properly update TWRP.
4. Done!

Note: I was able to flash a Pie ROM by installing this latest version of TWRP! Thanks to the OP and all the Devs here at XDA for all the hard work put into these custom ROMs and recoveries! :D:D:D :good:
Cheers!

Reactions: mattgyver

mattgyver

Staff member
Okay here's an update on my progress. I finally found the TWRP 3.2.3-0 that works with the Cricket/AIO variant! To be clear and forewarned, I have only tested this process on the SGH-I337Z.
My bootloader version is I337ZTUUBND3.

Here are the steps:

1. First, go to the TWRP website and click on "Samsung Galaxy S4 (Qualcomm) (jflte)"
2. On that page, scroll down to "International, Americas & China:" and under that choose the "Primary (Americas)"
3. Download the .img file and then follow steps from the OP to properly update TWRP.
4. Done!

Note: I was able to flash a Pie ROM by installing this latest version of TWRP! Thanks to the OP and all the Devs here at XDA for all the hard work put into these custom ROMs and recoveries! :D:D:D :good:
Cheers!
Awesome! I'm glad you were able to find a twrp variant that worked for you! The S4 has so many variant, it's eye-crossing confusing!:silly:

timj3371

Jul 10, 2012
OK att i337
Do I just but use Odin to flash custom recovery or do I need to root it first
I know att is a locked boot loader

Thanks

mattgyver

Staff member
OK att i337
Do I just but use Odin to flash custom recovery or do I need to root it first
I know att is a locked boot loader

Thanks
You need to unlock the bootloader first. Go to Settings > About Phone. Somewhere in there will be software version. If you're on lollipop (5.x) you most likely are already limited to safestrap ROMs. There are steps in the OP to check your bootloader version..

Have you ever updated your s4 i337 via the OTA system updates pushed by ATT?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All credit goes to @Dees_Troy and TeamWin for their work on the TWRP recovery, and @djrbliss for his developing of the loki tools. As I'm not developing anything, just sharing the patched image, I didn't feel that this should be in the development forum, but rather general.

This is a loki-patched version of TWRP so that the ATT S4 and VZW S4 users can flash newer ROMs that require the latest TWRP for compatibility. I chose to use the latest stable JFLTEXX TWRP, instead of the carrier variants, as JFLTEXX is compatible with both JFLTEATT and JFLTEVZW devices. I tried JFLTE TWRP, but I couldn't get it to boot to recovery after patching and flashing.

Most ROMs for JFLTE devices will have the following disclaimer:
    AT&T USERS: since your bootloader is locked, you must be on the UCUAMDB or UCUAMDL bootloader.
    VERIZON USERS: since your bootloader is locked, you must be on the VRUAMDK bootloader.

Do 'getprop ro.bootloader' in Terminal Emulator or through ADB shell to find out which bootloader you have.

If that pertains to you, and you want to give the recent pie ROMs being developed by devs like @side and @Buff99 a shot, this TWRP version is needed.

If your S4 DOESN'T have one of those listed bootloaders, but it IS either JFLTEATT or JFLTEVZW, read below, as you are on a bootloader that has been patched to block the Loki exploit:

Read @Hashcode's post HERE for info on SafeStrap, and what you'll be able to flash. I'm almost positive (iirc) safestrap means you can only flash stock-based ROMs.

Downloads:
    IMG (using ATT aboot) (AFH)
    IMG (using VZW aboot) (AFH) (thanks @grantd!)

ZIP (AFH)
    • work's for both carrier variants, as it check's against device bootloader to install proper recovery
    • ONLY ATT recovery is 3.3.1-0. VZW is still 3.2.3-0 as I don't have a VZW aboot.img to work with

TWRP variant: JFLTEXX
    TWRP version: 3.3.1-0

IMG Steps:
    1. Download to phone
    2. Boot to recovery
    5. Tap Install
    4. Tap Install Image
    5. Navigate to folder you saved the patched img to and select it
    6. /** IMPORTANT!!! */ SELECT RECOVERY for which partition to flash image to.
    7. Swipe to flash
    8. Go back to TWRP main screen and reboot to recovery.
    9. You should be good to go on 3.2.3-0!

ZIP Steps:
    1. Download to phone
    2. Boot to recovery
    5. Tap Install
    4. Navigate to folder you saved the patched zip to, and select it
    5. Swipe to flash
    6. Go back to TWRP main screen and reboot to recovery.
    7. You should be good to go on 3.2.3-0!

Re-read instructions and realize I skipped 3 (just making sure you read the instructions ;) )
    King Arthur: "1, 2, 5."
    Sir Bedevere: "3, sir...."
    King Arthur: "3."

Old versions:
    3.2.3-0 - ATT IMG
    3.2.3-0 v2.1 ZIP
    How would I go about flashing a TWRP to my s975l? Is the bootloader locked?
    That's the straight talk variant. I don't have any knowledge of that one. The best I can say is to look around the S4 Unified Development forum, and possibly just the i9505 forums and see if anyone posted about your variant there. I don't want to guess at steps and cause you to brick it.

---------

Would you consider building a LOKIed 3.3.1 version (the latest as of this writing)?
    OP updated with 3.3.1-0 ATT IMG and ZIP files. The ZIP will check against your bootloader to determine which variant to install. Right now, only the ATT version is updated as I have the att s4 aboot.img. If someone gets me a link to the vzw aboot.img, I can update the VZW one as well.
    Peeeerfect
    Yes.
    The I337Z (AIO / CRICKET GALAXY S4 / jflteaio) is a variant of the I337. Cricket is owned by AT&T. The I337M (Canadian) doesn't have similar limitations from what I've seen over the last few years..

Have a look at this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2634367. I can't find any evidence to the contrary that you are safestrapped.
    Good job someone's on the ball.
    Cheers @mattgyver
    You guys are doing the hard part. I just wanted to be able to partake in it all :D
    It may not be much of a contribution, but this should help the people on those wonky bootloaders at least try out the ROMs.