Lollipop and Tethering

Search This thread

runamonk99

Dec 28, 2010
For those having issues with tethering. I tested it out today and had issues. It would connect but would not resolve dns. I have unlimited tethering on Three, it's always worked until now.

Doing this resolved my issues. I suspect this issue will be resolve by Three when an official uk build is released.

This can be fixed permanently using the following procedure (UPDATE: no root required):

Enable developer mode (Go to Settings -> About phone, and click on the build number until the developer mode is enabled).
Enable USB debugging under Settings -> Developer options
Connect the device with a USB cable to a computer with the Android SDK platform tools installed
Start an adb shell: adb shell
In the adb shell, run this command: settings put global tether_dun_required 0

https://pmf.silvrback.com/fixing-tethering-on-android-kitkat

robbiekhan

Aug 22, 2009
For those having issues with tethering. I tested it out today and had issues. It would connect but would not resolve dns. I have unlimited tethering on Three, it's always worked until now.

Doing this resolved my issues. I suspect this issue will be resolve by Three when an official uk build is released.

This can be fixed permanently using the following procedure (UPDATE: no root required):

Enable developer mode (Go to Settings -> About phone, and click on the build number until the developer mode is enabled).
Connect the device with a USB cable to a computer with the Android SDK platform tools installed

This fixed it 100% thanks!

Just to note, i don't have the SDK, I used the 15 second ABD installer.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

NickR

Nov 19, 2003
I've just updated to uk build I had same problem tehething on Three, ran your fix and I can now tether and get internet, thanks

Reactions: runamonk99

leonsandroid

Dec 12, 2011
Coventry
please help

I installed the 15 second adb shell and it did install. When I type ''settings put global tether_dun_required 0" it doesn't work for me. Think I'm doing something wrong because all of you got it to work. Can someone take me step by step please? I'm new to this and I use tethering everyday for my college work so please help me out guys

EDIT: I open command prompt and type adb reboot just to check if its working, and the phone rebooted so I think its working btw

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 4,218
Last edited:

gunga75

Apr 24, 2015
Worked for me!

Thanks - This worked perfectly for me. Although on a mac, remember to use:
./adb shell
in the terminal.

I have an xperia Z3 on Three 3 Uk and tethering wasn't working. This fixed the problem.
On a mac: Download and install Android SDK tools
Locate the directory
In tools, locate the file 'adb'
Navigate to the folder location in terminal: cd /Users/(YOURNAME)/downloads/(YOUR FOLDER NAME)

Connect your phone
Make sure the USB debugging is allowing access (tick the box when you connect)

In the terminal, type: ./adb shell
then:
settings put global tether_dun_required 0

Phone will now tether perfectly. I'm posting using my tethering right now!
Thanks runamonk99

Last edited:
Reactions: JakeRowley

ngvuanh

Jan 1, 2013
This method works like a charm on my T-Mobile Z3 even after reboot.

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

offshore4ft

May 5, 2015
So glad I found this thread. I have a Sony Xperia z2 on three and I've had no tethering since kitkat 4.4.4. I received a replacement handset from the insurance as I lost that phone and the new one worked fine. Then came the lollipop update and I had the same problem again! After several hours of pointless phone calls to three, I stumbled upon this thread, 20 minutes later and all is working perfect again. :D

I used android studio sdk tools and needed to install a separate D6503 (Xperia z2) driver.

Jan 22, 2012
This doesn't seem to work any more, it worked for android 5.0 but just recently updated to 5.0.2 and it no longer works, anyone else tried it on the latest firmware?

NickR

Nov 19, 2003
Just had an Xperia update, tethering has again stopped working so looks like I need to apply the fix again.

AS expected reapplied adb patch, all is good again.

Last edited:

Cocolowe84

May 22, 2015
After 3 weeks of trying to fix this problem, phone calls to 3 and Sony who both were about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike, I was just about to give up and sell my z3 (Sony wouldn't let me return it even tho they couldn't get one of their services, wireless tethering, to work) and buy a HTC one m9 (still wish I had bought one anyway). Finally I stumble upon this thread, after 30 minutes of downloading programs and doing a little bit of reading I now have my Z3s 4G connection tethered to my MS Surface Pro 3. Another ten months on the old one plan, not going to waste money on broadband till I've eaten all the data I can. Muchos Gracias ?

socalborn

Jan 22, 2011
Orange County
DNS Issue

DNS issue for me. Also can we use the stock Tether or are we supposed to use another one??

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Stock tether app or download another one? Also does our APN need to be anything special or any other changes?? Thanks for your help. So far I'm getting the DNS issue as well.

robtmsstt1

Jan 10, 2013
I successfully changed the file however the mobile app sets it back to 1 from 0 everytime.

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

I think a custom zip file that can be flashed in recovery may fix the issue like it was done on the Nexus 5 thread for tether_dun_required 0.

RussianBear

Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2008
I successfully changed the file however the mobile app sets it back to 1 from 0 everytime.

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

I think a custom zip file that can be flashed in recovery may fix the issue like it was done on the Nexus 5 thread for tether_dun_required 0.

you can use the script from here to automate the process: http://forum.xda-developers.com/tmobile-lg-g3/general/lollipop-tethering-t3071188

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This fixed it 100% thanks!

Just to note, i don't have the SDK, I used the 15 second ABD installer.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

So far the method described here works partially on T-mobile some torrent downloads and YouTube, Netflix and a few other desktop services would unmask my traffic and T-mobile would start counting my data, so I turned towards Xposed and used the Xtether module and till now it has not gone up for the last 5 days, still need to test extensively all browsers and services to see what happens but for me this has been a sure fire way.

I'm running Lollipop 5.0.2 Pre-Rooted for Xperia Z3 D6616.
    Steps:
    1. Set "tether_dun_required" to "0"
    2. Download Xposed for Lollipop 5.0.2 (Install the .apk file then flash the .zip file in recovery) be sure you are able to recover the system in the event of a bootloader or getting stuck in the the T-mobile boot, you have been warned. Also make sure you have well over 70% battery charge.
    3. Download and install module XTether in Xposed app, be sure to activate the module before reboot.
    4. Reboot
    5. Profit

Hope it works! And good luck!
    Worked wonderfully! And I also used that 15 second ADB set up (how good is that?!)
    Recently updated from 4.3 to 5.1.1 on my ZR, and only now did I find out that I couldn't create a working hotspot anymore. I use the hotspot to transfer files between my phone and my PC, and occasionally with other phones as well using Fast File Transfer. However, when I tried to create a hotspot today, it said "Tethering error - Error occurred during tethering" and even though the hotspot was created and my laptop was able to connect to the hotspot, it was a limited connection with no data transfer available. I tried the fix here, even reinstalling the 15-second ADB shell and following the other recommendation to create a BAT file to automate the process - nothing worked, the error persists. Has there been any fix for the 5.1.1 yet?

As an aside, when I turn on the mobile internet on my phone and then turn on the portable wi-fi hotspot, the error doesn't come up and I'm able to use the hotspot to connect to the internet on my laptop using my phone's mobile connection. It's only when I try to turn on the portable wi-fi hotspot without turning on the mobile internet does the error come up. I also tried Fast File Transfer when the mobile internet was on and my laptop was connected to the hotspot but nope, that still didn't work.

Update: uninstalled and reinstalled Fast File Transfer and even though I still get the hotspot error, the file transfer goes through now. All good :)