Lollipop Note 3 vs note 4

Search This thread

Yathani

Sep 10, 2014
Hello people,

I have lollipop on both phones my old Note 3 which has the 2 months ago leaked 5.0 and Note 4 Poland 5.0.1. Now that I have both of them next to each other, I can tell you that the Note 3 is way fluid, smoother in animation and faster than the Note 4. I'm not sure why but it feels like Note 3 is the newer not the Note 4.

For example, downloading apps from google play you can see this mil second pause on the moving bar but on the Note 3 is non stop. Even when scrolling on long list I can tell that the animation is lower than 30 FPS but on the Note 3 is over 50fps for sure.

What could be the reason behind this? is it the 2k display? or is it the GPU on the SD? or the Note 3 software is better optimized ?

would love to hear from you.

droidelec

Nov 20, 2014
Hi all,

I have N910C, flashed fresh over Odin 3.09 and it is working really great on my device, way way better and responsive than on KitKat 4.4.4. This time Samsung done great job with TW, no more lag.

I never liked to make OTA update as it is kind "dirty", especially when we have so huge update from KitKat to Lollipop.

dalvik -> art etc, a lot of things which make huge impact on performance.

DANOFDANGER

Jul 27, 2011
Id say the higher resolution is the reason, although the note 4 has faster hardware the extra 1000 pixels is a tough weight to pull. With that samsung likely reduced animation frames to conserve power and fluidity.
Back when lcd tech was only just starting to roll and 720p was the most common standard, we all felt a big hit moving to 1080p. I remember lots of people having to update systems just to keep their gaming withdrawls in check, ahh the days.

DANOFDANGER

Jul 27, 2011
I thought so too, but i did find app initiation time and response was slightly better on note 4 from memory. I concluded that the animation fps was lower on note 4 and less appealing but overall was more stable.

Last edited:

Yathani

Sep 10, 2014
Who ever say it because of the higher resolution, I started to doubt that. I own Tab S 8.4 as well which is based on 4.4.2 and has less powerful CPU with QHD screen just like the Note 4. The animation on the Tab s is more fluid than the Note 4 which has better CPU/GPU. I really started to think that the software is not optimized as much as it needs to be and I bet you that people with 805 SD will see a better animation and smoothness.

tmac31

Apr 18, 2013
Who ever say it because of the higher resolution, I started to doubt that. I own Tab S 8.4 as well which is based on 4.4.2 and has less powerful CPU with QHD screen just like the Note 4. The animation on the Tab s is more fluid than the Note 4 which has better CPU/GPU. I really started to think that the software is not optimized as much as it needs to be and I bet you that people with 805 SD will see a better animation and smoothness.

My note 4 definetly smoother than my old note 3s(have exynos and snapdragon both on lollipop) and in app opening its way faster.

Yathani

Sep 10, 2014
Id say the higher resolution is the reason, although the note 4 has faster hardware the extra 1000 pixels is a tough weight to pull. With that samsung likely reduced animation frames to conserve power and fluidity.
Back when lcd tech was only just starting to roll and 720p was the most common standard, we all felt a big hit moving to 1080p. I remember lots of people having to update systems just to keep their gaming withdrawls in check, ahh the days.

Even before the update my brothers Note 3 was more fluid and smooth in compare to my Note 4.

Yes on official

Interesting,

Because even my friend who has N910c lollipop said the same thing.

tmac31

Apr 18, 2013
Interesting,

Because even my friend who has N910c lollipop said the same thing.

Dunno when i put them side by side note 4 is definetly faster. And even before update note 3 was better seriously? 4.4.2 on note 3 sucks imo i wrote that alot of time if they wouldnt upgrade that tw i wouldnt touch any other samsung phone. 1st responsive and smooth tw on any samsung phone i tested was note 4 exynos. And with 5.0.1 its even better i have a nexus 5 too and samsung did a great job with this update in my opinion.

B

bnghty

I flashed my 910F with 5.0.1 today and the phone felt sluggish and worse then kitkat.
made a factory reset and now its perfect. didn't find any lag at all so far, finally feels like lollipop. (and got my first 50k on antutu with a stock touchwiz rom)

Yathani

Sep 10, 2014
I flashed my 910F with 5.0.1 today and the phone felt sluggish and worse then kitkat.
made a factory reset and now its perfect. didn't find any lag at all so far, finally feels like lollipop. (and got my first 50k on antutu with a stock touchwiz rom)

n910F is the SD type isn't ? interesting it might help me with factory reset !!

I will try to do that and re install everything back again.:good:

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone