Long exposure error in third party camera app

rupakkapur

Jan 10, 2021
I cannot find any option to enable RAW in native camera app , and after trying 10+ pro camera app from play store , I'm not able to make the shutter any higher than 0.5 seconds ! Native camera app has max exposure time of 10 seconds..
Can you please help me regarding this problem ? And please suggest any camera app that can support long exposure in RAW format.
(Even budget phones like realme 7 has 32sec exposure time in RAW mode :| )

Model no. SM-M515F/DSN

Reactions: Aldebaran48

Aldebaran48

Jan 15, 2021
gcam and open camera has raw option but you can only see the thumbnail of the image you have to send it to a pc to get the full res aand 0.5 ss is just a bummer I hope somebody can change that

rupakkapur

Jan 10, 2021
Yes RAW option is there with many cameras.. but I want RAW with LONG EXPOSURE... That is the thing I'm not finding in any camera app ☹ .. I dont know why the native app can go upto 10 sec and no other app can go beyond 0.5 sec... What's the issue ?

Aldebaran48

Jan 15, 2021
Yes RAW option is there with many cameras.. but I want RAW with LONG EXPOSURE... That is the thing I'm not finding in any camera app ☹ .. I dont know why the native app can go upto 10 sec and no other app can go beyond 0.5 sec... What's the issue ?
The issue is its probably software locked or something

Reactions: rupakkapur

venisonsteak

May 1, 2020
It is not completely soft locked, still usable when set exposure time manually. CameraCharacteristics#SENSOR_INFO_EXPOSURE_TIME_RANGE reports 0.5 seconds at max so all camera apps use it as max value for compatibility. However I don't know any camera app allows completely manual exposure times. Some gcam mods have exposure options for astrophotography mode, you can use them with raw but most of them have no manual controls.

rupakkapur

Jan 10, 2021
It is not completely soft locked, still usable when set exposure time manually. CameraCharacteristics#SENSOR_INFO_EXPOSURE_TIME_RANGE reports 0.5 seconds at max so all camera apps use it as max value for compatibility. However I don't know any camera app allows completely manual exposure times. Some gcam mods have exposure options for astrophotography mode, you can use them with raw but most of them have no manual controls.

Thank you for the info.
Isn't it possible to overwrite #SENSOR_INFO_EXPOSURE_TIME_RANGE to 10sec which is default for the native camera app.
And why only the native app has the access to 10sec max exposure? This is a huge limitation in my opinion for a phone that costs rs.23000/-

venisonsteak

May 1, 2020
Thank you for the info.
Isn't it possible to overwrite #SENSOR_INFO_EXPOSURE_TIME_RANGE to 10sec which is default for the native camera app.
And why only the native app has the access to 10sec max exposure? This is a huge limitation in my opinion for a phone that costs rs.23000/-
They limit available exposure time for stability or promote their most expensive devices. In this case it is not stability because stock app has 10 seconds, #SENSOR_INFO_EXPOSURE_TIME_RANGE reports 0.5. I think stock app uses CaptureRequest#SENSOR_EXPOSURE_TIME directly without looking at #SENSOR_INFO_EXPOSURE_TIME_RANGE. Third party apps can do same thing too but they need to ignore #SENSOR_INFO_EXPOSURE_TIME_RANGE and set exposure time directly. They don't do that because it will crash if device doesn't support desired exposure time.

Maybe they can fix it with custom roms or you can send a bug report to samsung developer support but I don't think samsung will fix this if this is not a mistake.

You can try nikita's gcam with astro mode for long exposure raws.

rupakkapur

Jan 10, 2021
They limit available exposure time for stability or promote their most expensive devices. In this case it is not stability because stock app has 10 seconds, #SENSOR_INFO_EXPOSURE_TIME_RANGE reports 0.5. I think stock app uses CaptureRequest#SENSOR_EXPOSURE_TIME directly without looking at #SENSOR_INFO_EXPOSURE_TIME_RANGE. Third party apps can do same thing too but they need to ignore #SENSOR_INFO_EXPOSURE_TIME_RANGE and set exposure time directly. They don't do that because it will crash if device doesn't support desired exposure time.

Maybe they can fix it with custom roms or you can send a bug report to samsung developer support but I don't think samsung will fix this if this is not a mistake.

Thanks again 👍
I think I have to wait till they add raw support to the native camera app.
In the meantime I'll use gcam as you have suggested..
But this whole "limiting basic functionality " thing for samsung is very very disappointing...
Even Realme/Xiaomi has it in their budget phones ..☹

Last edited:

Aldebaran48

Jan 15, 2021

With nikita's gcam in astro mode I got 9.23 mins wonder if it really works will try soon