Long-term battery drain and performance issues

Search This thread

justwannahelp

Mar 30, 2021
I believe it's been over six months since battery drain (and performance) is horrendous for my Mi Note 10. My current SOT is around 2 to 5 hours top. I am using xiaomi.eu MIUI 13.0.1 (stable) and I've been using their previous ROMs as well. I am fairly sure it's not the ROM issue - I've tried several custom ROMs and stock ones for some time, with no results. Battery shouldn't be an issue either - I've replaced it with a brand new one, as I thought that the original one could wore out. Overall performance is pretty bad, too. Most of the applications take several seconds to open, with Camera being the slowest one. Phone is rooted with Magisk, I am also using LSPosed. I am willing to provide any information I can - I am really tired of this situation and seriously thinking about switching phones. Picture related shows misery of my situtation.

IMG_20220522_002016.jpg

Last edited:

justwannahelp

Mar 30, 2021
I have looked at the battery usage and found out that for some time "Media server" and "media.extractor" have been literally eating my battery alive. Anyone have any idea what the hell are these things and how to get rid of them?

Screenshot_2022-05-22-00-52-52-921_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg

Last edited:

Lord Sithek

Dec 19, 2018
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Huawei Watch 2
I believe it's been over six months since battery drain (and performance) is horrendous for my Mi Note 10. My current SOT is around 2 to 5 hours top. I am using xiaomi.eu MIUI 13.0.1 (stable) and I've been using their previous ROMs as well. I am fairly sure it's not the ROM issue - I've tried several custom ROMs and stock ones for some time, with no results. Battery's shouldn't be an issue either - I've replaced it with a brand new one, as I thought that the original one could wore out. Overall performance is pretty bad, too. Most of the applications take several seconds to open, with Camera being the slowest one. Phone is rooted with Magisk, I am also using LSPosed. I am willing to provide any information I can - I am really tired of this situation and seriously thinking about switching phones. Picture related shows misery of my situtation.

View attachment 5619685
Hmm, if you says it was the same on custom ROMs, it doesn't seem like software issue... So maybe the replacement battery is faulty somehow? By the way, which custom ROMs did you try? I use Octavi and it's flying, may battery isn't fantastic too (AccuBattery shows me 76% health, around 4000 mAh real capacity), but I have this device about 2 years without changing the battery. Anyway, MIUI ROMs were always laggy on this device since it's a heavy skin and SoC isn't great

justwannahelp

Mar 30, 2021
Hmm, if you says it was the same on custom ROMs, it doesn't seem like software issue... So maybe the replacement battery is faulty somehow? By the way, which custom ROMs did you try? I use Octavi and it's flying, may battery isn't fantastic too (AccuBattery shows me 76% health, around 4000 mAh real capacity), but I have this device about 2 years without changing the battery. Anyway, MIUI ROMs were always laggy on this device since it's a heavy skin and SoC isn't great
I've tried Octavi, Lineage, Cipher, Sakura and the stock one. I wasn't using most of them for a longer periods, but long enough to see no meaningful change. As of now, I believe that the problem is in the two system applicatons, "media.extractor" and "Media server", as shown in the screenshot above your post. They drain battery and have to be CPU-intensive - that would explain laggish performance and way higher-than-average temperatures of the phone I face for a few days.

Except for factory reset, I didn't find any real solutions for this issue, which kinda sucks. I'll look for a solution some more, then do factory reset and see if it changes everything.

Lord Sithek

Dec 19, 2018
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Huawei Watch 2
I've tried Octavi, Lineage, Cipher, Sakura and the stock one. I wasn't using most of them for a longer periods, but long enough to see no meaningful change. As of now, I believe that the problem is in the two system applicatons, "media.extractor" and "Media server", as shown in the screenshot above your post. They drain battery and have to be CPU-intensive - that would explain laggish performance and way higher-than-average temperatures of the phone I face for a few days.

Except for factory reset, I didn't find any real solutions for this issue, which kinda sucks. I'll look for a solution some more, then do factory reset and see if it changes everything.
I consulted with the Octavi dev and he does not known these two processes, so likely they're specfic for MIUI ROMs. So that would not explain your battery drain on custom ROMs... Of course, you can always do factory reset.

By the way, how long ago did you try custom ROMs? From the list you mention, Lineage and Sakura are deprecated for quite a time. So if you tried them long ago - in the days of Android 11 - now customs are much better. There are three still maintained customs (Octavi, Cipher nad Arrow), all based on Android 12, and much improved from the earlier versions. Still, the camera is the weaker part, but its definitely usable. Latest Octavi and Arrow even feature MIUI Camera port called ANX - some things are broken, but it works pretty well. I mention this in case you'd like to try customs again ;)

justwannahelp

Mar 30, 2021
I consulted with the Octavi dev and he does not known these two processes, so likely they're specfic for MIUI ROMs. So that would not explain your battery drain on custom ROMs... Of course, you can always do factory reset.

By the way, how long ago did you try custom ROMs? From the list you mention, Lineage and Sakura are deprecated for quite a time. So if you tried them long ago - in the days of Android 11 - now customs are much better. There are three still maintained customs (Octavi, Cipher nad Arrow), all based on Android 12, and much improved from the earlier versions. Still, the camera is the weaker part, but its definitely usable. Latest Octavi and Arrow even feature MIUI Camera port called ANX - some things are broken, but it works pretty well. I mention this in case you'd like to try customs again ;)
I really appreciate your help, thank you :] t's been a long time since I extensively used custom ROM - Android 11 would check the box here. Few weeks ago, I've jumped to a Cipher for a short time, but stock Android 12 UI skin is not my cup of tea. Altough I'd rather have usable phone than prettier UI. I will probably do factory reset and if it doesn't help, I will try one of the custom ROMs for a longer time and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Reactions: Lord Sithek

Lord Sithek

Dec 19, 2018
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Huawei Watch 2
I really appreciate your help, thank you :] t's been a long time since I extensively used custom ROM - Android 11 would check the box here. Few weeks ago, I've jumped to a Cipher for a short time, but stock Android 12 UI skin is not my cup of tea. Altough I'd rather have usable phone than prettier UI. I will probably do factory reset and if it doesn't help, I will try one of the custom ROMs for a longer time and see how it goes. Thanks again!
Great, feel free to ask if you need any assistance. Also much of the custom ROMs life is being going on the Telegram nowadays, so if you have an account, I can share links to you in pm to follow up the development more closely. Cheers 🥂

Reactions: justwannahelp

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Great, feel free to ask if you need any assistance. Also much of the custom ROMs life is being going on the Telegram nowadays, so if you have an account, I can share links to you in pm to follow up the development more closely. Cheers 🥂
    That would be great ツ