Long term effects of Overclocked display?

Search This thread

Nick_101d

Oct 13, 2015
I see that people are having mixed opinions when it comes to Overclocking the display on k20 pro. So can we have some feedback by people who used it for Decent - Long term, just enough so we can have a clear idea of whether it is safe to daily drive Overclocked display mod or not.

hrdlw

Jan 10, 2020
If you carry about ur phone, dont oc. I've heard that screen cables [if i can call it like that(probably not)]
are so small that from overclocking they can just be damaged. I would rather overclock an actual clock(wtf)
And the fact that when i wanted to overclock my pc monitor from 75hz i was able to overclock it to only 81hz... Yes i've tested the 82hz but monitor just couldnt handle it. So imagine how it would be on ur mobile.
And if u wanna just slightly oc ur display,
First u wont see any difference at all
And second ur display will start to suffer a bit.
(I would recommend oc sreen if u wanna buy a new phone lel)
Edit: i think i didnt read the topic carefully so....
Ur screen can even die

Last edited:

Nick_101d

Oct 13, 2015
If you carry about ur phone, dont oc. I've heard that screen cables [if i can call it like that(probably not)]
are so small that from overclocking they can just be damaged. I would rather overclock an actual clock(wtf)
And the fact that when i wanted to overclock my pc monitor from 75hz i was able to overclock it to only 81hz... Yes i've tested the 82hz but monitor just couldnt handle it. So imagine how it would be on ur mobile.
And if u wanna just slightly oc ur display,
First u wont see any difference at all
And second ur display will start to suffer a bit.
(I would recommend oc sreen if u wanna buy a new phone lel)
Edit: i think i didnt read the topic carefully so....
Ur screen can even die

Yeah I have a similar insight but I find 75hz way more bare-able to my eyes. I spend a lot of time on my computer and my monitor is 240 hz so almost all screens disappoint me. Though I find 75 hz a lot more better than 60. Have you tried the mod for a significant amount of time? On the phone?

LuanHalaiko

Jul 12, 2015
Lapa
xdaforums.com
The main issue is the AMOLED display, i've seen LCD's getting retention marks after a long time using overclocking, but amoleds have the risk of burn-in and I would never recommend messing with this if you want to use your device for more than 1 year, I bet it would get burn-in marks in some weeks after using 75hz or above. It's best to stay safe and take care of your device in my opinion, but that it's up to you.

Nick_101d

Oct 13, 2015
The main issue is the AMOLED display, i've seen LCD's getting retention marks after a long time using overclocking, but amoleds have the risk of burn-in and I would never recommend messing with this if you want to use your device for more than 1 year, I bet it would get burn-in marks in some weeks after using 75hz or above. It's best to stay safe and take care of your device in my opinion, but that it's up to you.

I didn't know burn-in issues had anything to do with the refresh rate. Maybe I need to learn more about why that happens. Other than the burn-in issues you think OC to 75 will harm in some other way?

Menoobone

Dec 14, 2014
I didn't know burn-in issues had anything to do with the refresh rate. Maybe I need to learn more about why that happens. Other than the burn-in issues you think OC to 75 will harm in some other way?

I have been running the phone at 75hz since the start and I bought the phone in May 2019. I have yet to see any flickering, tinting or artefacts. I would say there is a risk but give the fact that over hundreds to thousands of users overclock their display on the 9t pro and have yet to report a permanent issue, it is rather safe since the voltage and current is not altered. Then again, millions of users overclock their computer monitor for decades and have yet to see any irreversible effect.

Reactions: XblackdemonX

Nick_101d

Oct 13, 2015
I have been running the phone at 75hz since the start and I bought the phone in May 2019. I have yet to see any flickering, tinting or artefacts. I would say there is a risk but give the fact that over hundreds to thousands of users overclock their display on the 9t pro and have yet to report a permanent issue, it is rather safe since the voltage and current is not altered. Then again, millions of users overclock their computer monitor for decades and have yet to see any irreversible effect.

Thank you! That's what I was looking for! Can you link me to the mod thread that you use?

Nick_101d

Oct 13, 2015

Actually can you help me even more? I am on evo X and I flashed the module without reading the instructions. I headed to https://xdaforums.com/k20-pro/themes/magisk-modules-k20pro-mi9t-pro-one-t4093255 so I missed on the instructions and I dont have my stock dtbo! Can you send your dtbo or help me get it back someway??

Menoobone

Dec 14, 2014
Actually can you help me even more? I am on evo X and I flashed the module without reading the instructions. I headed to https://xdaforums.com/k20-pro/themes/magisk-modules-k20pro-mi9t-pro-one-t4093255 so I missed on the instructions and I dont have my stock dtbo! Can you send your dtbo or help me get it back someway??

You have to help yourself for that. Different firmware, kernels, and even the different versions require different DTBO. There is no universal DTBO. AFAIK, Immensity and F1XY kernel blocks screen OC. Also, certain DTBO only works for certain type of fingerprint implementation, such as Mi9fod,Mi9fod advance,Losfod,MIUIFOD etc. Some works in terms of OC but will screw up your fingerprint, while others have the fingerprint working but OC not working. You also have to take note of the DC implementation.

Again, you have to help yourself and do some research. I would suggest you start with the standard 75hz_nodimming version and older versions of Immensity kernel and try. Do note that flashing the wrong DTBO can render your device unbootable and it might even cause the recovery to not boot.

hrdlw

Jan 10, 2020
Yeah I have a similar insight but I find 75hz way more bare-able to my eyes. I spend a lot of time on my computer and my monitor is 240 hz so almost all screens disappoint me. Though I find 75 hz a lot more better than 60. Have you tried the mod for a significant amount of time? On the phone?

I couldnt make it work

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:69 AM ----------

What do you think about some videos on youtube that "may" prevent burnin?

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

So it's kinda simmiliar to overclocking a pc cpu without touching voltage, right?

LuanHalaiko

Jul 12, 2015
Lapa
xdaforums.com

PC monitors are LCDs (IPS or VA panels most of the time), amoled will always get burn-in marks after some time, it's just the way they age, overclocking on amoleds is quite risky as I said before, the voltage dosn't matter in this scenario, by overclocking a 60hz amoled panel you are just forcing the pixels to update even faster than normal (they obviously wasn't made for that, you get side effects like discoloration), in theory burn-in marks have way more change to appear on a overclocked panel than a 60hz one.

Of course, I'm here just to spread info, everyone can do whatever they want to their devices, if I'm wrong on something I apologize, this is what I know from studying displays along these years

Menoobone

Dec 14, 2014
PC monitors are LCDs (IPS or VA panels most of the time), amoled will always get burn-in marks after some time, it's just the way they age, overclocking on amoleds is quite risky as I said before, the voltage dosn't matter in this scenario, by overclocking a 60hz amoled panel you are just forcing the pixels to update even faster than normal (they obviously wasn't made for that, you get side effects like discoloration), in theory burn-in marks have way more change to appear on a overclocked panel than a 60hz one.

Of course, I'm here just to spread info, everyone can do whatever they want to their devices, if I'm wrong on something I apologize, this is what I know from studying displays along these years

I agree with what you said. I would also like to share my experience and knowledge. I have been working in a display company for quite a while. From my experience, most of the grade A OLED displays can usually run about 20% ish higher frame rate than what is advertised at the given voltage and current. Bumping the voltage will give us a higher sustained refresh rate aka being more stable but that would usually result in a lower life span. As much as I am aware, overclocking the refresh rate on OLED should not cause burn in issues but discoloration or tinting is inevitable for grade A- and below displays. LCD however, have a lower margin of % in terms of overclockability at about 10-15% ish depending on panel type and quality.

Some of the users get green tint or high latencies when running at 75hz while the others don't. For my set, it does not have the said issues at a but there are indeed multiple users getting mild temporary tint when applying overclock. That could be due to insufficient voltage for this particular display hence the instability unlike other displays that actually shows sign of distress due to being forced over their capabilities. We can only advise to monitor and OC at your own risk as the quality of the panel used is not very consistent. I have another set that still managed 84hz on GSI Havoc without issues but my main set can only run stable at 75hz. As for those that have permanent issues with their display, it's said that they actually overclocked to 84hz/90hz so that's another story I guess?

As far as I'm aware, Xiaomi intentionally lowered the voltage on MIUI so the display can only overclock by 10-15% to a maximum of 69hz, 75hz is still possible on custom kernel and AOSP. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kogar and akkh99

LuanHalaiko

Jul 12, 2015
Lapa
xdaforums.com
[...]As far as I'm aware, Xiaomi intentionally lowered the voltage on MIUI so the display can only overclock by 10-15% to a maximum of 69hz, 75hz is still possible on custom kernel and AOSP. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the info, it really helps when someone who has direct contact with this type of technology. I also agree with what you said above but even if voltage is consistant it still is a mod that pushes the display to its limits, we can't deny the possibility of a future damage and the fact no one had issues until now could indicate that it's harmless, but it can also mean that nobody is noticing it until it gets really bad, that's just a theory tho.

I think everything was answered by our ideas, so for a short answer to the people who want to use it:

Is display overclocking on amoled safe?
-> Yes it is, amoleds could be damaged by increased voltage rather then increased refresh rate, so use it with minor dropbacks like the colors being a bit off.

Last edited:

Nick_101d

Oct 13, 2015
You have to help yourself for that. Different firmware, kernels, and even the different versions require different DTBO. There is no universal DTBO. AFAIK, Immensity and F1XY kernel blocks screen OC. Also, certain DTBO only works for certain type of fingerprint implementation, such as Mi9fod,Mi9fod advance,Losfod,MIUIFOD etc. Some works in terms of OC but will screw up your fingerprint, while others have the fingerprint working but OC not working. You also have to take note of the DC implementation.

Again, you have to help yourself and do some research. I would suggest you start with the standard 75hz_nodimming version and older versions of Immensity kernel and try. Do note that flashing the wrong DTBO can render your device unbootable and it might even cause the recovery to not boot.

No worries. I actually fixed it by dirtyflashing the current EVO X 4.5 rom(which my device was running currently)
That seems to have fixed the yellow tint as well as the refresh rate is back to 60hz.

K20 pro user

Oct 29, 2019
I agree with what you said. I would also like to share my experience and knowledge. I have been working in a display company for quite a while. From my experience, most of the grade A OLED displays can usually run about 20% ish higher frame rate than what is advertised at the given voltage and current. Bumping the voltage will give us a higher sustained refresh rate aka being more stable but that would usually result in a lower life span. As much as I am aware, overclocking the refresh rate on OLED should not cause burn in issues but discoloration or tinting is inevitable for grade A- and below displays. LCD however, have a lower margin of % in terms of overclockability at about 10-15% ish depending on panel type and quality.

Some of the users get green tint or high latencies when running at 75hz while the others don't. For my set, it does not have the said issues at a but there are indeed multiple users getting mild temporary tint when applying overclock. That could be due to insufficient voltage for this particular display hence the instability unlike other displays that actually shows sign of distress due to being forced over their capabilities. We can only advise to monitor and OC at your own risk as the quality of the panel used is not very consistent. I have another set that still managed 84hz on GSI Havoc without issues but my main set can only run stable at 75hz. As for those that have permanent issues with their display, it's said that they actually overclocked to 84hz/90hz so that's another story I guess?

As far as I'm aware, Xiaomi intentionally lowered the voltage on MIUI so the display can only overclock by 10-15% to a maximum of 69hz, 75hz is still possible on custom kernel and AOSP. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I am using 82 hz mod on candy kernal without any problem

Turbine1991

Nov 19, 2014
Burn-in is and isn't an issue.

I've owned 3 amoled devices, loads of use and no burn-in. But that's because I don't keep it on full brightness.

But every other phone I've seen from other people, S2, S3, galaxy note 5 (twice). All have burn-in. Brightness is more likely to cause it than display hz. I've run mine at 69hz since launch. No issues.

But... Only overclock if you have the superior Samsung display. And not the cheap Visionox panel some people have.

S.N.A.P

Dec 28, 2016
Bought in 2020, started OC in late 2021
2 months of 72hz, 8 months of 81hz, 2-3 months of 102hz
Still in great condition as when I bought it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

My experience with my device (at least 2-3 years with an overclocked screen):

With any value from 70Hz-80Hz, it "feels" snappier than 60Hz, with no noticeable color distortion or color washing.
    With any value above 82Hz-90Hz, the colors are a bit distorted as soon as the device boots, and some colors are a bit washed out (some have a gray tint to them).
    With any value above 90Hz, all the colors are washed out and have a *noticeable* green tint to them, and all the blacks are grayish.

My go-to is 72hz/75hz.

** The higher the overclock, the more battery drain there is. (obviously)
    ** In some areas, there is an overlay of "shadow" (like gray splashes), usually on a pure black background, though it's 99% of the time not affecting my regular usage.