long time no talk

Search This thread

russian392

Apr 30, 2012
Simpsonville, SC
Hello everybody!
Yes its been like for ever since i broke my HTC First and moved on and since then ive had an Atrix HD and now have a Red Nexus 5. Running lollipop.

But still i look back to this phone and still think this is probably the best phone ive owned. All day battery, great size and build quality, stock android. Yes development was always a minus, but still.

How is everyone doing?

PS: thinking of getting my sister an HTC First, its a pretty solid device hardware wise and she doesnt care much about software, she is using an old ipod touch and an ipad, shes tired of ios

Last edited:

procitysam

May 5, 2014
Cincinnati
Good to see someone else converting to the Android master race >:) lol. I agree with the fact that the battery generally lasted all day, but the lack of speed is what caused me to want to get something better. But yeah it was a good device when I came from a MyTouch 3G and then 3 Windows Phones.

Off topic here, are you seeing any drop in battery life on the official Lollipop update on your N5 compared to an AOSP version from a few days ago?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

russian392

Apr 30, 2012
Simpsonville, SC
Good to see someone else converting to the Android master race >:) lol. I agree with the fact that the battery generally lasted all day, but the lack of speed is what caused me to want to get something better. But yeah it was a good device when I came from a MyTouch 3G and then 3 Windows Phones.

Off topic here, are you seeing any drop in battery life on the official Lollipop update on your N5 compared to an AOSP version from a few days ago?

Haha I've converted to android since 2011 and my sister never likes apple anyways.
Miss this community so much, looks like everyone has left like Abraham and loir.
Um at first battery life was more like battery death but after a reboot and full charge I did manage to get my minimum of 4 hours screen on time. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get 5 hours.

I was thinking moto g, vs the HTC first, but I haven't found anything in it that is better than in the First. Especially for my sis who has really small hands surprisingly (she's 5 years younger but as big as me and I'm 19...)

DecaPix

Aug 2, 2010
still using my First and still hoping to get at least KitKat so that i can pair with android wear...
but looks like no luck and i have to change my phone soon.
:crying:

but seriously between first and Moto G, i'll get the moto G
at least you get official Lollipop support. 5 hrs SOT.
The 1st gen Moto G size is not that much bigger than the 1st

russian392

Apr 30, 2012
Simpsonville, SC
still using my First and still hoping to get at least KitKat so that i can pair with android wear...
but looks like no luck and i have to change my phone soon.
:crying:

but seriously between first and Moto G, i'll get the moto G
at least you get official Lollipop support. 5 hrs SOT.
The 1st gen Moto G size is not that much bigger than the 1st
Yes you get software support..but this isn't for me. Its for my sister and plus I'd like to get back into hacking and stuff cause with a nexus you don't really want to tinker much

procitysam

May 5, 2014
Cincinnati
Haha I've converted to android since 2011 and my sister never likes apple anyways.
Miss this community so much, looks like everyone has left like Abraham and loir.
Um at first battery life was more like battery death but after a reboot and full charge I did manage to get my minimum of 4 hours screen on time. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get 5 hours.

I was thinking moto g, vs the HTC first, but I haven't found anything in it that is better than in the First. Especially for my sis who has really small hands surprisingly (she's 5 years younger but as big as me and I'm 19...)

Yeah Lloir is no longer here since he bricked his First so he just upgraded to something else. Jmz is no longer here, and I'm not sure if sun_dream is here either. I know someone was working on a CM11 port but he told me that he needed to learn more before it was going to work well enough for daily use.

russian392

Apr 30, 2012
Simpsonville, SC
Yeah Lloir is no longer here since he bricked his First so he just upgraded to something else. Jmz is no longer here, and I'm not sure if sun_dream is here either. I know someone was working on a CM11 port but he told me that he needed to learn more before it was going to work well enough for daily use.

I just hate to see such a good device "go to waste".
I also wish i could port cm11, atleast learn some how, but my only computer is my desktop at home, and internet at 700kbps is not enough to do anything except browse the web. But if internet wasnt a problem id definitely try even though i have no idea how.

CM puts so much effort into mainstream devices that will get updates anyways and never focus on forgotten devices.

procitysam

May 5, 2014
Cincinnati
I just hate to see such a good device "go to waste".
I also wish i could port cm11, atleast learn some how, but my only computer is my desktop at home, and internet at 700kbps is not enough to do anything except browse the web. But if internet wasnt a problem id definitely try even though i have no idea how.

CM puts so much effort into mainstream devices that will get updates anyways and never focus on forgotten devices.

Yeah and it's sad because it didn't use to be like that. It's gonna be even worse when CM12 is released because they said that if a device 1) is not owned by maintainers or 2) can't cooperate with the new security measures then they won't support it at all.

russian392

Apr 30, 2012
Simpsonville, SC
Yeah and it's sad because it didn't use to be like that. It's gonna be even worse when CM12 is released because they said that if a device 1) is not owned by maintainers or 2) can't cooperate with the new security measures then they won't support it at all.

Oh wow...yeah thats not good so I guess only options is unofficial ports.

dramon

Aug 14, 2011
I dont want to upgrade also, I know i'll miss the design of the First if I sell it

jamesc760

May 12, 2010
I agree, First is a great phone, stylish, great design and ergonomics, i will keep this phone no matter what. My daily driver is Moto X, 2013 model. I like to use my phone in one hand, never liked anything over 4.7-in screen size, have had Samsung S3, original Note, Note 2 and Note 3, traded them all, although i really liked S3 the most, couldn't live with the Notes. Htc First has become my backup phone. Previously, i used a Palm Pre Plus as my backup, but i finally traded it in.

russian392

Apr 30, 2012
Simpsonville, SC
I agree, First is a great phone, stylish, great design and ergonomics, i will keep this phone no matter what. My daily driver is Moto X, 2013 model. I like to use my phone in one hand, never liked anything over 4.7-in screen size, have had Samsung S3, original Note, Note 2 and Note 3, traded them all, although i really liked S3 the most, couldn't live with the Notes. Htc First has become my backup phone. Previously, i used a Palm Pre Plus as my backup, but i finally traded it in.

Yeah totally agree. I have a nexus 5 right now and it's quite great for one handed use. But looking for a first for my mom