Looking for a "grippy" protective case with non slip back

Search This thread

dengood1

Jun 5, 2012
I'm looking for a protective case for my Note 2 that has a grippy/hard rubber feel that doesn't slide around when I lay it down on it's back. I have an Otterbox commuter but the back is hard plastic and slides around a lot if I lay it down unless I flip it over. My wife has an Iphone and her otterbox has a very grippy rubbery feel that is non slip. I wish their Note 2 cases were like that. I'm looking at the Griffin Survivor case and was wondering if anyone has any other recommendations before I try it out? Thanks!

Last edited:

opasha

Jul 2, 2009
I'm looking for a protective case for my Note 2 that has a grippy/hard rubber feel that doesn't slide around when I lay it down on it's back. I have an Otterbox commuter but the back is hard plastic and slides around a lot if I lay it down unless I flip it over. My wife has an Iphone and her otterbox has a very grippy rubbery feel that is non slip. I wish their Note 2 cases were like that. I'm looking at the Griffin Survivor case and was wondering if anyone has any other recommendations before I try it out? Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Duzign-Sentin...1378141878&sr=8-3&keywords=duzign+case+note+2

This case has been discussed by many on this forum and it has good reviews. It is definitely protective and grippy. You can even tell from the back rubbery design. If you want something slim, with a soft matte feel, i'd get the Six Abundant Case: http://www.amazon.com/DBA-Cases-Abu...=1378141992&sr=8-1&keywords=six+abundant+case

Reactions: dengood1

dengood1

Jun 5, 2012
Wow, that first one definitely looks grippy!
Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

dengood1

Jun 5, 2012

Do you know if the back is hard plastic or a softer rubber feel on the first one? I need it to stay put on a flat surface as I move around at work. The Commuter slides all over the place, which I cannot have. It will "stick" if I turn it over because of the rubber edges, but I need the phone to be face up/hands free. Thanks again for your suggestions.

opasha

Jul 2, 2009
Do you know if the back is hard plastic or a softer rubber feel on the first one? I need it to stay put on a flat surface as I move around at work. The Commuter slides all over the place, which I cannot have. It will "stick" if I turn it over because of the rubber edges, but I need the phone to be face up/hands free. Thanks again for your suggestions.

From all the reviews and things I have heard about it, it seems to be in the middle. A hard rubber. So it's good for shock absorption. Definitely not a soft rubber because that would wear out very easily. However, from what everyone in the forums have said and from the amazon reviews, it seems like it will stay in place without issue. Also, it's only $10 and from amazon. If you don't like it, you can ship it back the same day for a full refund without any cost to you. Just keep the original box/packaging.

Here's a quote from someone who has it: "The back part of the case (the black exterior) feels more like silicone than plastic which gives it a nice look and grip. I have dropped my phone once on this case and I have to say that this case does a very good job on absorbing impact."

Brad.S.

Mar 26, 2012
Colorado

It's a hard plastic exo with a softer plastic inner. I have this case and it will not hold in place on a hard flat surface. Mine will not even "stick" when placed screen down. The kickstand is about a 4/10 (flimsy, too easily collapsed etc)
Also, the buttons, imo, are junk. Last night, after I started using this case again after owning it for ~6 months (used for 2 weeks), I took a razor blade to the buttons. Couldn't stand them being so difficult to press.
However, the drop protection is definitely up to the same level as the commuter, for being such a cheap case.
I'd say it's worth the price, maybe even less.
Also, I have a similar six abundant case that was free. And although it's very nice, and my most used case, it offers very little protection, and definitely not "grippy" on surfaces.

Wish I had some suggestions. The Griffin Sur. looks grippy. If you search the forum here there are a few people that bought one and commented on the quality. I believe they don't officially support it.. So it's actually a knockoff.

Edit2: xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2174889 has info for the knockoff griffin. Enjoy.

Last edited:

opasha

Jul 2, 2009
It's a hard plastic exo with a softer plastic inner. I have this case and it will not hold in place on a hard flat surface. Mine will not even "stick" when placed screen down. The kickstand is about a 4/10 (flimsy, too easily collapsed etc)
Also, the buttons, imo, are junk. Last night, after I started using this case again after owning it for ~6 months (used for 2 weeks), I took a razor blade to the buttons. Couldn't stand them being so difficult to press.
However, the drop protection is definitely up to the same level as the commuter, for being such a cheap case.
I'd say it's worth the price, maybe even less.
Also, I have a similar six abundant case that was free. And although it's very nice, and my most used case, it offers very little protection, and definitely not "grippy" on surfaces.

Wish I had some suggestions. The Griffin Sur. looks grippy. If you search the forum here there are a few people that bought one and commented on the quality. I believe they don't officially support it.. So it's actually a knockoff.

Edit2: xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2174889 has info for the knockoff griffin. Enjoy.

Thanks for the input, bro. That's rather unfortunate. I guess other sources don't have the best description then.

Have you looked into the body glove case? That looks pretty nice and there is a lot of discussion recently on it in the Post Your Pics of Your Phone thread. Check it out.

Brad.S.

Mar 26, 2012
Colorado
Thanks for the input, bro. That's rather unfortunate. I guess other sources don't have the best description then.

Have you looked into the body glove case? That looks pretty nice and there is a lot of discussion recently on it in the Post Your Pics of Your Phone thread. Check it out.

Definitely bro, maybe others will chime in with different opinions about it.

I was actually just revisiting the idea of the body glove refined gel case (been subbed to that thread for forever). I remember it being a very popular case earlier this year. At one point there was an eBay seller with ~50 of them for $8+free shipping. I should have jumped on it then. I'm just afraid that the lower section of the case (shiny area) will end up scratching easily (read: shiny back mercury case).
Still haven't even gotten around to trying the UAG... Even though I designed and 3D printed some custom inserts.

What case are you rockin?

opasha

Jul 2, 2009
Definitely bro, maybe others will chime in with different opinions about it.

I was actually just revisiting the idea of the body glove refined gel case (been subbed to that thread for forever). I remember it being a very popular case earlier this year. At one point there was an eBay seller with ~50 of them for $8+free shipping. I should have jumped on it then. I'm just afraid that the lower section of the case (shiny area) will end up scratching easily (read: shiny back mercury case).
Still haven't even gotten around to trying the UAG... Even though I designed and 3D printed some custom inserts.

What case are you rockin?

3d printing?? Dude that's awesome! I saw on geeky gadgets or theawesomer website ad about a 3d real time laser scanner. It was really impressive. Expensive ($1400 I think) but very cool. Right now I'm using my Six Abundant Case. I rotate between that and my white UAG case. The UAG case is worth it for me. It's not super bulky and protects my phone extremely well. I have large hands so I have no problem gripping and using my phone in one hand with either case on. I do have way too many cases at this point. I even have the casemate tough. Totally forgot to mention that. That definitely has a good feel in terms of grip and it is super slim for a fully protective case. Another nice one is the DBA ultra case. I'll most likely be upgrading to the note 3 so I stopped buying more cases, lol.

Brad.S.

Mar 26, 2012
Colorado
3d printing?? Dude that's awesome! I saw on geeky gadgets or theawesomer website ad about a 3d real time laser scanner. It was really impressive. Expensive ($1400 I think) but very cool. Right now I'm using my Six Abundant Case. I rotate between that and my white UAG case. The UAG case is worth it for me. It's not super bulky and protects my phone extremely well. I have large hands so I have no problem gripping and using my phone in one hand with either case on. I do have way too many cases at this point. I even have the casemate tough. Totally forgot to mention that. That definitely has a good feel in terms of grip and it is super slim for a fully protective case. Another nice one is the DBA ultra case. I'll most likely be upgrading to the note 3 so I stopped buying more cases, lol.

Yeah! Got into robotics development at my University a few years back and somehow got nominated to be the guy that learns the ins/outs of our 3D printer so that I can teach others everything about it (even the computer science professors). In the printing world, $1400 is fairly cheap for a production item.
I did see the 3D scanner. I believe it is going to be made by Makerbot. We made our own using a Kinect (think: xbox 360) to do real-time scans of objects and roll them into 3D files. However, I usually make one-off prints so I have to build them entirely by hand in a 3D environment.

Agh.. You are making it hard not to press the "complete my order" button for the black uag haha. I too have large hands/long fingers; I often get my iPhone-using-friends asking me how I always use one hand with this beast. If I was a female I'm sure I'd have gained muscle from just using it by now lol.
Forgot about casemate. I'll have to check them out. (have their tough case on my Skyrocket & love it)
I'll most likely be upgrading as well (if not at least a smart watch).. So now seems like a bad time for me to by yet another case.. But.. I have an addiction lol.

opasha

Jul 2, 2009
Yeah! Got into robotics development at my University a few years back and somehow got nominated to be the guy that learns the ins/outs of our 3D printer so that I can teach others everything about it (even the computer science professors). In the printing world, $1400 is fairly cheap for a production item.
I did see the 3D scanner. I believe it is going to be made by Makerbot. We made our own using a Kinect (think: xbox 360) to do real-time scans of objects and roll them into 3D files. However, I usually make one-off prints so I have to build them entirely by hand in a 3D environment.

Agh.. You are making it hard not to press the "complete my order" button for the black uag haha. I too have large hands/long fingers; I often get my iPhone-using-friends asking me how I always use one hand with this beast. If I was a female I'm sure I'd have gained muscle from just using it by now lol.
Forgot about casemate. I'll have to check them out. (have their tough case on my Skyrocket & love it)
I'll most likely be upgrading as well (if not at least a smart watch).. So now seems like a bad time for me to by yet another case.. But.. I have an addiction lol.

That's really nice, bro. I know $1400 is not that expensive when it refers to such technology, but I meant in general - that's like a nice fully loaded laptop price, lol. I'm familiar with Kinect/Xbox360 so yeah, that's really interesting. I'm sure the whole 3D development can take time from scratch. Maybe I missed them, but did you ever post pics of your 3D-rendered cases? I'd love to see how they turned out.

Yes, the Case-Mate Tough is solid. I have the same black one as in this teamvenum review: http://www.teamvenum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=686

I know you complained about the buttons you eventually cut out of your Sentinel case. This is where the UAG shines. The button design makes it super easy to press the covered buttons. The one thing I love about my UAG case is that I can just toss my phone around onto my bed or the table like whatever without any worry. The shock absorption technology on UAG cases is pretty solid. I even got one for my father's S3 and he loves it (esp since he is accident prone/clumsy with all technology, lol).

Yes, the smart watch upgrade is definitely happening for me as well. I can't wait till they release the Samsung Gear this September. It's definitely going to be a step up from my pebble watch, which I use and wear all the time.

Also, your addiction...I understand all too well, especially being a huge tech fanatic. If you don't have a solid protective/easy to hold case currently and work in an environment where you really need that, I would go for it.

Reactions: Brad.S.

Brad.S.

Mar 26, 2012
Colorado
That's really nice, bro. I know $1400 is not that expensive when it refers to such technology, but I meant in general - that's like a nice fully loaded laptop price, lol. I'm familiar with Kinect/Xbox360 so yeah, that's really interesting. I'm sure the whole 3D development can take time from scratch. Maybe I missed them, but did you ever post pics of your 3D-rendered cases? I'd love to see how they turned out.

Yes, the Case-Mate Tough is solid. I have the same black one as in this teamvenum review: http://www.teamvenum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=686

I know you complained about the buttons you eventually cut out of your Sentinel case. This is where the UAG shines. The button design makes it super easy to press the covered buttons. The one thing I love about my UAG case is that I can just toss my phone around onto my bed or the table like whatever without any worry. The shock absorption technology on UAG cases is pretty solid. I even got one for my father's S3 and he loves it (esp since he is accident prone/clumsy with all technology, lol).

Yes, the smart watch upgrade is definitely happening for me as well. I can't wait till they release the Samsung Gear this September. It's definitely going to be a step up from my pebble watch, which I use and wear all the time.

Also, your addiction...I understand all too well, especially being a huge tech fanatic. If you don't have a solid protective/easy to hold case currently and work in an environment where you really need that, I would go for it.

I never printed any cases for my Note 2, just the inserts for the UAG case with lettering and glow in the dark filament etc. I did make four cases for my gf's S3 but in the end she moved to a pink folio wallet case (which would take too much time to make haha). I've since then had two dead SD cards.. So I've lost a lot of pictures (backups are my priority every 24hrs now..). The cases were more of a "wow factor" type of thing. Everywhere we went people asked more about her case than my huge phone lol.. Lead to a lot of explanations of what a 3D printer is.. But After a few times on/off of the case they'd get weak and start to crack at random layers of which the printer printed it (our printer has a resolution of 0.001mm).
Started sanding the area of the Sentinel case today that I hacked out with the razor to make it smoother. Only had about ten minutes with some 1600grit paper, so I got one side pretty smooth!
I wanted to pledge money to the kreyos smart watch but got worried that I'd be stuck with money in the air for it and no item on my wrist until next summer.. The galaxy gear is definitely going to be watched (pun intended)! As long as it stays within $200-300..
As you can tell, it's hard for me to commit to some purchases lol!

To op: I remember seeing some peel & stick grip strips for phones. They were just thin clear gel-type adhesive strips. Been looking for them but can't find the review. Honestly, I'd also like a grippy case..
Edit: found it! www.egrips.com/ check it out.

Last edited:

dengood1

Jun 5, 2012
Thanks for everyone's input...much appreciated. I own the Bodyglove case but I is still harder plastic than I would like. Its a decent case though. I had the Casemate Toughcase for my Note 1 and liked it, very protective as well, but still had a hard plastic outer shell. Maybe I'll research on getting some type of nonslip rubber strips for my Otterbox to see how that works. There are a few cases mentioned here I'll have to take a look at. Thanks again to you all.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

mothy

Oct 3, 2008
Fort Collins
Thanks for everyone's input...much appreciated. I own the Bodyglove case but I is still harder plastic than I would like. Its a decent case though. I had the Casemate Toughcase for my Note 1 and liked it, very protective as well, but still had a hard plastic outer shell. Maybe I'll research on getting some type of nonslip rubber strips for my Otterbox to see how that works. There are a few cases mentioned here I'll have to take a look at. Thanks again to you all.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Try the DBA Cases Ultra protection cases very good quality and good feel

http://www.dbacases.com/samsung.html

kvnly2

Aug 17, 2008
I have the UAG case. I have used the UAG line of cases for all my phones and they are solid. They have the bevel in the front so if it drops face down you wont shatter your screen and it has extra cushion on the corner bumpers. They are only $30 - $35 online. They fit on my OEM samsung dock with spare batttery charger.

The reason why I trust all my phones in the UAG case is that my wife's nephew through my note down the escalator at the mall. My heart stopped as I saw it tumble and bounce off every step. When I went to get it, the phone and case didnt have a scratch on it. The otterboxes are great but they are way too big. Especially for our note.

sand1303

Dec 22, 2007
I am using a cheap eBay tpu. Smoke clear and it is rubber. It works great and protects just fine. Best of all it was only a buck and a half! Rubber does a pretty decent job of keeping it from sliding around unless it is on something very slick. keeps good in the hand too

Sent from my kraken (Note2) using xda app

Acery

Jan 28, 2013
I have the body glove from sprint.

I feel it offers the best for daily use and it has pocketablility which is nice. It doesn't get hung up as it has a glossy surface at the bottom of the phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

http://www.amazon.com/Duzign-Sentin...1378141878&sr=8-3&keywords=duzign+case+note+2

This case has been discussed by many on this forum and it has good reviews. It is definitely protective and grippy. You can even tell from the back rubbery design. If you want something slim, with a soft matte feel, i'd get the Six Abundant Case: http://www.amazon.com/DBA-Cases-Abu...=1378141992&sr=8-1&keywords=six+abundant+case