Looking for a Solution: How to Identify Unknown Connections Made from My Smartphone?

Search This thread

John Dekka

Feb 6, 2023
I live in a region where phone security and anonymity is a concern.
To address this, I have installed a rooted custom firmware, AFWall firewall, and ProtonVPN on my smartphone.

AFWall is set up to block most apps and system apps, routing only the ones I use through the VPN.
I monitor AFWall's logfiles, which show thousands of (blocked) unknown(-100) connections, most of which resolve to Github CDNs or Googleaccount, while others resolve to unknown IPs.

I want to find out which app or process is making these connections, but as AFWall reports them as unknown(-100), I am unsure how to proceed.

I have tried using Termux (root) and "sudo netstat -nputwc" to monitor connections, but some connections remain "empty" and do not provide any "PID/Program name".

How can I identify the app/process making these connections?

Thanks in advance!

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
To address this, I have installed a rooted custom firmware, AFWall firewall, and ProtonVPN on my smartphone.

AFWall is set up to block most apps and system apps, routing only the ones I use through the VPN.
I monitor AFWall's logfiles, which show thousands of (blocked) unknown(-100) connections, most of which resolve to Github CDNs or Googleaccount, while others resolve to unknown IPs.

I want to find out which app or process is making these connections, but as AFWall reports them as unknown(-100), I am unsure how to proceed.

I have tried using Termux (root) and "sudo netstat -nputwc" to monitor connections, but some connections remain "empty" and do not provide any "PID/Program name".

Thanks in advance!
I don't know but probably these can already help?

Reactions: John Dekka

John Dekka

Feb 6, 2023
Awesome! I'll test a bit with this app to see what I can capture. :) Thanks!

Edit:
Well, now I can collect a lot more data. Nice. But still the same as with AFWall. I run PCAPdroid as root and can scan all connections. But "app" still "unknown". It can't figure out which process is making a connection.

For example the "unknown app (-1) transfers data from local ip 10.2.XXX.XXX:48100 to remote 146.75.XXX.XXX:443 which resolves to "fastly, Inc".

hmm...

I'll try to dump the whole payload to examine.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks in advance!
    I don't know but probably these can already help?