• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Looking for new unlimited hotspot - CDMA network being shut down by T-Mobile

Search This thread

nebrazca78

Oct 21, 2021
Hello,

I've been using XDA for information for a very long time. I rooted my Photon Q and have been enjoying unlimited hotspot for many years. Now T-Mobile has bought Sprint and I just got notification that they are shutting down the CDMA network as of January 1st.

What I would really like to know is how do I move on from here? I looked at plans with unlimited hotspot and they all have speeds throttled down to 3G at some point. Obviously that is way too slow as I have been getting 4MB/s for as long as I've been on 4G LTE.

Could someone please clue me in as to what my rooting options are for unlimited hotspot on newer handsets? I'd really like to stay on micro USB and not whatever the newer ones are because I have charging set up all over the house for those already. Staying on T-Mobile is not mandatory and I'm willing to look at all other options. 5G would be nice but I was perfectly happy with 4G. I think everyone can understand my frustration with all of my equipment that works perfectly fine being made obsolete with the discontinuation of the CDMA network.

Thank you.

nebrazca78

Oct 21, 2021
Hello,

I've been using XDA for information for a very long time. I rooted my Photon Q and have been enjoying unlimited hotspot for many years. Now T-Mobile has bought Sprint and I just got notification that they are shutting down the CDMA network as of January 1st.

What I would really like to know is how do I move on from here? I looked at plans with unlimited hotspot and they all have speeds throttled down to 3G at some point. Obviously that is way too slow as I have been getting 4MB/s for as long as I've been on 4G LTE.

Could someone please clue me in as to what my rooting options are for unlimited hotspot on newer handsets? I'd really like to stay on micro USB and not whatever the newer ones are because I have charging set up all over the house for those already. Staying on T-Mobile is not mandatory and I'm willing to look at all other options. 5G would be nice but I was perfectly happy with 4G. I think everyone can understand my frustration with all of my equipment that works perfectly fine being made obsolete with the discontinuation of the CDMA network.

Thank you.
I've been taking a much closer look at this and it seems to go much deeper. When I called Sprint (my original carrier) they tried to sell me a new plan with a free garbage phone and a 24 month contract. The end of CDMA is nothing short of a cashgrab by T-Mobile and it's going to end up screwing over hundreds of thousands of people.