Looking for Rooted Pixel 3XL owners

vMAC

Oct 21, 2007
I am trying to diagnose an issue with my Pixel 3XL in which it won't allow me to do the OTA update.

I am looking to see if anyone can verify that they have a file at: /data/system/system-update-info.xml

If you have this file and are on the December 5th security update or the Jan update please send it to me or post here.

Thank you in advance.

v12xke

Dec 5, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
I am trying to diagnose an issue with my Pixel 3XL in which it won't allow me to do the OTA update.
I am looking to see if anyone can verify that they have a file at: /data/system/system-update-info.xml
If you have this file and are on the December 5th security update or the Jan update please send it to me or post here.
Thank you in advance.
On my phone, the file you are looking for does not exist at this location. Are you rooted and trying to take an OTA? If so the downloaded "incremental" OTA is never going to work. If you are bound and determined to use an OTA image, simply sideload the full OTA from recovery via adb, and if you are rooted why not just flash the full image via fastboot?

vMAC

Oct 21, 2007
On my phone, the file you are looking for does not exist at this location. Are you rooted and trying to take an OTA? If so the downloaded "incremental" OTA is never going to work. If you are bound and determined to use an OTA image, simply sideload the full OTA from recovery via adb, and if you are rooted why not just flash the full image via fastboot?
In the past I have been able to do the incremental OTA while rooted with Magisk without issue. Lately I have been having issues getting it to even acknowledge that an OTA is available. When checking my logcat it showed an attempt to locate that file and that is why I was checking to see if anyone had it.

The problem with doing a full image via fastboot is that I have to be tethered. I travel a lot and don't want to have to worry about getting to my home computer to get everything up to date. The previous ability to do an OTA with Magisk installed for my Pixel was perfect and efficient. Hoping to get back to that point.

ffchampmt

Dec 27, 2013
Montana

Thank you in advance.
I am on the December 5th update, rooted, and that file doesn't exist for me. Oddly enough, I don't have a pending update though. When I force it to check it tells me I am up to date.