Looking for Testers with the T817 model to test new root hack.(tested and working)

Search This thread

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
NOTE: NOW CONFIRMED TESTED AND WORKING FOR THE T817T/W AND T817P MODELS.

Looking for testers with the T817 model (no ATT or Verizon models) to test a new hack to get root on Samsung stock SElinux Enforcing kernels running Android 5.11 or Android 6.0.
This means the kernel will be stock, so LTE will be unaffected.

Basically what this is about:

Chainfire has released new beta's of Supersu, the latest is 2.52. This new release can root Samsung 5.1.1 roms and Android 6.0 Marshmallow roms.
However to accomplish this a patch needs to be applied to the kernel Ramdisk to allow root with stock kernels.
What does this mean? This means if you have a T817 running Lollipop 5.1.1 then you can gain root and retain LTE connectivity as it uses the stock kernel instead of having to flash a permissive T810 wifi only kernel.

I need someone willing to test the patched Ramdisk and kernel on their device which has 5.1.1 installed.

The procedure is fairly simple all that is required is to flash the new boot.img, then root with Supersu v2.52.

Last edited:

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
Here is the patched boot.img for anyone that wants to test it.
*It goes without saying make a back up with TWRP first! *

FOR SM-T817T/T817W

Extract the boot.img from the zip then Install with TWRP:
Tab_S2_t817_boot.zip

FOR SM-T817P

Tab_S2_T817P_boot.zip

Then root with BETA-SuperSU-v2.52 using TWRP

Last edited:

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
Last edited:

graysooner

Dec 19, 2012
Just to be sure, this does work with the Tmobile T817T, correct?

Edit: found answer.

Last edited:

Aikavaras2015

Sep 25, 2015
can't get into twrp

If you have an SM-T817P I will upload a specific boot.img for you.
You dont need root to install TWRP, just install with ODIN.
[/URL]

i flashed the boot patched file odin is successful it says but kernel is not seandroid enforcing and will not boot into twrp, boots into stock recovery still

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
i flashed the boot patched file odin is successful it says but kernel is not seandroid enforcing and will not boot into twrp, boots into stock recovery still

That message is normal.
What you have to do is after flashing twrp you need to directly boot into twrp to prevent the stock recovery overwriting it.
Flash twrp again but disable auto reboot in Odin.
After flashing reboot by holding POWER + HOME +VOL DOWN then as soon as the screen goes blank immediately change to VOL UP whilst still holding the other buttons.

Aikavaras2015

Sep 25, 2015
i did that, still booted into system not twrp

That message is normal.
What you have to do is after flashing twrp you need to directly boot into twrp to prevent the stock recovery overwriting it.
Flash twrp again but disable auto reboot in Odin.
After flashing reboot by holding POWER + HOME +VOL DOWN then as soon as the screen goes blank immediately change to VOL UP whilst still holding the other buttons.

still no twrp. just goes to stock. I have tried both times with autoreboot off, once with f reset checked and another with f reset unchecked.

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
still no twrp. just goes to stock. I have tried both times with autoreboot off, once with f reset checked and another with f reset unchecked.

Don't mess with f.reset
Honestly this is purely about timing. Plenty have already done it with the same device as you.
As long as you are flashing the correct twrp file then you should be good after following the advice above.
Can you flash twrp then post me a screenshot of odin?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: NOW CONFIRMED TESTED AND WORKING FOR THE T817T/W AND T817P MODELS.

Looking for testers with the T817 model (no ATT or Verizon models) to test a new hack to get root on Samsung stock SElinux Enforcing kernels running Android 5.11 or Android 6.0.
    This means the kernel will be stock, so LTE will be unaffected.

Basically what this is about:

Chainfire has released new beta's of Supersu, the latest is 2.52. This new release can root Samsung 5.1.1 roms and Android 6.0 Marshmallow roms.
    However to accomplish this a patch needs to be applied to the kernel Ramdisk to allow root with stock kernels.
    What does this mean? This means if you have a T817 running Lollipop 5.1.1 then you can gain root and retain LTE connectivity as it uses the stock kernel instead of having to flash a permissive T810 wifi only kernel.

I need someone willing to test the patched Ramdisk and kernel on their device which has 5.1.1 installed.

The procedure is fairly simple all that is required is to flash the new boot.img, then root with Supersu v2.52.
    Here is the patched boot.img for anyone that wants to test it.
    *It goes without saying make a back up with TWRP first! *

FOR SM-T817T/T817W

Tab_S2_t817_boot.zip

FOR SM-T817P

Tab_S2_T817P_boot.zip

Then root with BETA-SuperSU-v2.52 using TWRP
    Same vote as me....lol, they have so many different models of this tablet, I want to flash it but not sure which TWRP version I can use but this site is really good, they have helped me out with my questions, :)
    Worked it out CRASH.
    Download TWRP for the 810 from the first post in this forum.
    Download BETA-SuperSU-2.74-2 (I googled it and DL'd direct from Chainfires site)
    Install TWRP via ODIN. In ODIN uncheck auto reboot. After TWRP installs, reboot while holding home, vol down and pwr, as soon as screen goes black switch to vol up while holding the other two buttons, this will boot you to recovery. If you let it do a normal reboot the stock recovery will overwrite TWRP.
    MAKE A BACKUP and reboot (if TWRP asks DO NOT install SSU)
    Boot into recovery (home, vol up, and pwr buttons)
    Install SSU, reboot.
    AND ROOTED.
    Took me 2 hours of research and 10 min to install.

AND yes, this is the best place to get questions answered, I've been a member here for about 10 years.
    I have a t817p I would be happy to test, how do I install twrp without root though?

Sent from my SM-T817P using Tapatalk

If you have an SM-T817P I will upload a specific boot.img for you.
    You dont need root to install TWRP, just install with ODIN.

Install with TWRP: Tab_S2_T817P_boot.zip

Stock Recovery if required: T817PVPU1AOH6_recovery
    Well I rooted my tablet, the only thing is the boot has the seandroid enforcing warning which I read is normal but if I wanted to go back to stock withour root later on what is the process I have to use and would it take away the red seandroid boot warnings? Thanks

I'll fix the Seandroid warning.