• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Looking into unlocking the bootloader and moving to LOS on my XZ2c - not sure where to start

Search This thread
hi there. I've had my XZ2 Compact (H8324) for a while now, and I'm looking into finally switching to LineageOS on it (preferably with MicroG instead of normal GApps suite, although it looks like it's not an option for now).

the problem is, I haven't tinkered with my devices for a while now - the last time I did that was on my Xperia mini pro about 7 years ago, and obviously a lot has changed since that.
it also doesn't help that the XZ2 Compact has a bit worse dev support than my previous device used to, and the documentation of the process seems to be a bit missing, too. I've seen some discussions link to the regular XZ2 forum for certain tools, so it's a little bit all over the place.

I'm not completely sure what's the procedure now, what tools should I use to unlock and flash the device, and what precautions do I need - for example, as far as I can tell from this thread, there's no need to fix the camera if I unlock the bootloader when running Android 10, but I'd want to make sure that it's correct. any suggestions on where to start the whole thing from would be very appreciated.

the device is H8324 (dual-SIM) running the latest available version of Android 10 - 52.1.A.3.49, and all the steps that require using PC will be performed from a Linux machine.
thanks in advance!

SMcC2

Feb 22, 2014
Texas
OnePlus 6T
On most phones unlocking the bootloader wipes the phone.
Before anything backup, backup, BACKUP to an external device!
This can be tricky if you're not rooted and can't use an application such as Titanium Backup.
I use SMS Backup/Restore (Google Play Store) to backup my call logs and text messages and backup contacts using default contact manager.

If you're going to unlock and root on stock ROM camera should be fine.
If you're going to run a custom ROM check the forums for known issues.

According to this thread Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact [ROM][11] LineageOS 18.1 [OFFICIAL] (XDA)
KNOWN ISSUEs
  • The Sony stock camera does not work at the moment.

Reactions: najodleglejszy
yeah, I've got the backups covered, my SMS are saved in the Signal backup and my contacts are all synced. thanks for looking out for me though!

from what I can tell, the LineageOS issue you quoted only affects Sony's camera app, while taking pictures with alternative apps works okay - and I'm fine with that. I just wanted to double check that there's no problems with viewfinder preview and the like, like it used to be with some Xperias in the past after unlocking the bootloader.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    On most phones unlocking the bootloader wipes the phone.
    Before anything backup, backup, BACKUP to an external device!
    This can be tricky if you're not rooted and can't use an application such as Titanium Backup.
    I use SMS Backup/Restore (Google Play Store) to backup my call logs and text messages and backup contacts using default contact manager.

If you're going to unlock and root on stock ROM camera should be fine.
    If you're going to run a custom ROM check the forums for known issues.

According to this thread Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact [ROM][11] LineageOS 18.1 [OFFICIAL] (XDA)
    KNOWN ISSUEs
    • The Sony stock camera does not work at the moment.