• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Lost cache partition fixed

Search This thread

zhudachang

Dec 17, 2013
justcoolthings.net
Hi,

I got the terrible error "mounting cache failed" blabla and my Nexus 5 was dead. I tried with all ways I could find: fastbook flash cache cache.img; flashing factory image; LG Flashtool and TOT flashing, etc. All did not work.

But finally I found out the reason and made my Nexus 5 back to work.

The reason is simple: my cache partition should be EXT2 (or EXT4) but for some reason its type is unknown. That caused the mounting failed.

You could check your partition tables like:

adb shell parted -s /dev/block/mmcblk0 print

Keep an eye on your cache partition (27) type. Bingo, you can fix it if its type is blank!!

Fix the type (in the shell):
1) boot into recovery mode
1.1) adb shell
1.2) mkfs.ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p27
1.3) exit

2) boot into Fastboot

Flash the factory image (flash-all.sh) is the simplest way to make sure all works. Or simply flash the cache.img
fastboot flash cache cache.img

Reboot and you will see your Nexus 5 is back.

Good luck.

Yu
http: // clashin.com/

Last edited:

workonyou

Feb 6, 2015
Hi,

I got the terrible error "mounting cache failed" blabla and my Nexus 5 was dead. I tried with all ways I could find: fastbook flash cache cache.img; flashing factory image; LG Flashtool and TOT flashing, etc. All did not work.

The reason is simple: my cache partition should be EXT2 (or EXT4) but for some reason its type is unknown. That caused the mounting failed.

Keep an eye on your cache partition (27) type. Bingo, you can fix it if its type is blank!!

1.1) adb shell
1.3) exit

2) boot into Fastboot

Flash the factory image (flash-all.sh) is the simplest way to make sure all works. Or simply flash the cache.img

Good luck.

Yu
http: / / justcoolthings.net

Just want to say thank you for these steps! It fixed my phone as well and saved my sanity! LOL

liquanize

Apr 4, 2015
5.1 OTA Update Screwed My Nexus 5

Hi,

1.1) adb shell
1.3) exit

2) boot into Fastboot

Good luck.

Yu

Hi Yu,
I have the same problem as you mention above, occured after i had the office 5.1 OTA update 3 days back.
After updating, i was able to play with my phone for a while.. The next day, it was in a boot loop state with the "Google" image on my device.
I am able to ADB into my phone, and adb devices returns me my deviceId and sideload.
But when i attempt this command "adb shell" i get "error: closed".. Been searching the net to find out how to open this so i can do the fix, but none so far....
Any idea how to sort this out? Many thanks in advance.

p/s: my device is stock STOCK... non-unlock and non-rooted.

Cheers,
Keith

zhudachang

Dec 17, 2013
justcoolthings.net
I would suggest you do a "flash-all" to your device.

1) Download the factory image ("hammerhead-lmy47i") from https: // developers.google.com /android/nexus/images
2) Boot your device into bootloader mode and run "flash-all.sh" to flash the 5.1 factory rom. It should fix all your errors.

Good luck.

Yu

Hi Yu,
I have the same problem as you mention above, occured after i had the office 5.1 OTA update 3 days back.
After updating, i was able to play with my phone for a while.. The next day, it was in a boot loop state with the "Google" image on my device.
I am able to ADB into my phone, and adb devices returns me my deviceId and sideload.
But when i attempt this command "adb shell" i get "error: closed".. Been searching the net to find out how to open this so i can do the fix, but none so far....

Cheers,
Keith

beekay201

Nov 8, 2010
Hi Yu,

Cheers,
Keith

Keep in mind that STOCK recovery does NOT let you connect to normal ADB, a custom recovery does. Also, you need to be root to 'mkfs.ext2', and the target partition must not be mounted, I believe.

Before attempting the steps @zhudachang posted below, i.e. To flash a factory image, you need to unlock your bootloader.

I would suggest you do a "flash-all" to your device.

1) Download the factory image ("hammerhead-lmy47i") from https: // developers.google.com /android/nexus/images
2) Boot your device into bootloader mode and run "flash-all.sh" to flash the 5.1 factory rom. It should fix all your errors.

Good luck.

Yu

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

1.1) adb shell
    1.3) exit

2) boot into Fastboot

Good luck.

Yu