Lost Casting function after upgrade to Android 6.0

Search This thread

Jovadolla2

Oct 15, 2015
I can't cast from Ipad, android phone or google chrome anymore. Device is not showing up as a casting device anymore. :crying:
Anyone else with this issue?

ungureanub

Sep 25, 2007
The same for me. The Chromecast is still working, but the NP is not. I've also did a factory reset but the result is the same! The Nexus Player is not found in the device list in any of my devices.

notdisclosed

Oct 5, 2015
I can only repeat what was said before me. Cast shows 'no devices available'. Also tried a factory reset since that is mentioned for earlier versions of android. But that did not work for me also.

lost2030

Jul 27, 2010
Miami
Both of mine updated to 6.0. I was able to cast yesterday evening.. There was an update to the cast app about 2 or 3 days ago. Is your app up to date?

ungureanub

Sep 25, 2007
Only the Google Play Music sees the Nexus Player, but an atemp to connect to it fails. I've tried reinstalling the Google Cast Receiver, but there is no change.

Reactions: pharmacoholic

EldarH

Oct 15, 2015
The same for me. The Chromecast is still working, but the NP is not. I've did a factory reset but it did not help. Only the Google Play Music sees the Nexus Player, but the connection fails.

Reactions: pharmacoholic

ahmedsalah83

Apr 22, 2013
The latest google cast receiver app update broke casting for me on 6.0 and 5.1.1... the only app i had which found the nexus player was hulu. YouTube, netflix, bein sports were not finding the nexus player. Try uninstalling the update

Last edited:

Snez18

Nov 14, 2014
Ottawa
Anyone have casting working since the 6.0 update? If so, what version of the Google Cast Receiver do you have?

Showtime_III

Feb 1, 2011
Casting from ios without a problem. make sure you guys have the updated casting app in the playstore.

Last edited:

Darnell_Chat_TN

Nov 29, 2008
Chattanooga, TN
Google Pixel 4 XL
The same for me. The Chromecast is still working, but the NP is not. I've did a factory reset but it did not help. Only the Google Play Music sees the Nexus Player, but the connection fails.
Yea, same here, GP Music is the only app that sees the NP. Can't actually get a cast attempt to work though. But not even YouTube is able to see it. Netflix can't either. GP Music just got a recent update. Maybe that helped it to at least see the NP?

When I try and cast things using YouTube and such, nothing running 6.0 is seen.

Time for 6.0.1.

This is shameful for Google. You can't miss a bug like this, unless you totally failed to test.

And I have the latest Chromecast app, always have since it was released.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

iscaela

Aug 31, 2010
Casting worked for me for a week after updating to 6.0.

My devices no longer see the Nexus Player as a cast device after installing the most recent Oct 13 update of the Google Cast Receiver app, version 1.16.43955.

I've tried clearing the app data and uninstalling the update (reverting to 1.15) and there's been no change.

Last edited:

cescman

Nov 5, 2013
I have got the same issue here on my sony android tv. I was able to cast few days ago, but not now.

whitenack

Mar 22, 2012
Please report back to this thread if someone finds a solution.

In the same boat. Purchased the NP yesterday and was able to cast last night while it was on 5.1.1. This morning I find that the NP updated to 6.0 and now it does not show up as a casting option. Didn't have much time to troubleshoot this morning, but did a factory reset and that had no effect.

bmaltais

Oct 16, 2015
Same problem. I will attempt to flash 5.1.1 back tonight to see if all is good. Isn't Google testing it's OS? This is some major issue they introduced with 6.0 on the Nexus Player (and possibly all of the Google TV devices running 6.0).

whitenack

Mar 22, 2012
Probably not related to marshmallow, my android tv is still in 5.1.1

Interesting. When did yours stop working?

ETA: Your case is the only one that I have seen that had the trouble at 5.1.1. Everyone else (including me) had the issue in conjunction with the update to 6.0

Last edited:

senpoos

Jul 12, 2011
Coimbatore
No Casting for me after upgrade

No Casting after upgrading to 6.0.. Tried Factory reset, Uninstalling updates to Google Cast Receiver, Clearing Cache & Data

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yea, same here, GP Music is the only app that sees the NP. Can't actually get a cast attempt to work though. But not even YouTube is able to see it. Netflix can't either. GP Music just got a recent update. Maybe that helped it to at least see the NP?

When I try and cast things using YouTube and such, nothing running 6.0 is seen.

Time for 6.0.1.

This is shameful for Google. You can't miss a bug like this, unless you totally failed to test.

And I have the latest Chromecast app, always have since it was released.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    Casting worked for me for a week after updating to 6.0.

My devices no longer see the Nexus Player as a cast device after installing the most recent Oct 13 update of the Google Cast Receiver app, version 1.16.43955.

I've tried clearing the app data and uninstalling the update (reverting to 1.15) and there's been no change.
    Only the Google Play Music sees the Nexus Player, but an atemp to connect to it fails. I've tried reinstalling the Google Cast Receiver, but there is no change.
    Same problem as everyone else...Was able to cast last night, this morning, casting was broken...

I called Google before I found this thread... They said they were aware of the issue and are working on it