Question Lost Google Play Protect Status since flashing from CN to Global

Search This thread

chrwo

Oct 19, 2021
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
hey guys,

since i successfully flashed my Mi Pad 5 from CN to Global Rom a new problem occured.

I lost the google play protect status and cant install apps like netflix via the playstore. manual way with apk download works fine.

is there any possibility to get the google play protect status again?

tried different methods from google instructions but they didnt work.

my bootloader is still unlocked - is this the problem? its not rooted

thx

ChillyChan

Mar 15, 2011
Hi,

I had the same problem and I learned that it's a problem you have to live with if you wanna use the global ROM.

Google Play certification and Netflix DRM require the bootloader to be locked BUT if you the bootloader is locked, the global ROM won't boot on a China device.

BE CAREFUL! If you unlink your Mi account and lock the bootloader while using the global ROM, you won't be able to unlock the bootloader easily, essentially bricking the device.

In my case, I went back to the China ROM since I bought the tablet mainly to watch Netflix.

It's true some features are missing on the Chinese ROM (like Google Assistant) and I still have some Chinese text in "Search" but Netflix works perfectly and I use my phone as my daily driver so I don't really need the missing features on Xiaomi Pad 5.

My suggestion is to flash back to China ROM and stay with it. Make sure you still have your Mi account linked to the device to avoid any bricking.

migmanson

Feb 3, 2014
Hi,

I had the same problem and I learned that it's a problem you have to live with if you wanna use the global ROM.

Google Play certification and Netflix DRM require the bootloader to be locked BUT if you the bootloader is locked, the global ROM won't boot on a China device.

BE CAREFUL! If you unlink your Mi account and lock the bootloader while using the global ROM, you won't be able to unlock the bootloader easily, essentially bricking the device.

In my case, I went back to the China ROM since I bought the tablet mainly to watch Netflix.

It's true some features are missing on the Chinese ROM (like Google Assistant) and I still have some Chinese text in "Search" but Netflix works perfectly and I use my phone as my daily driver so I don't really need the missing features on Xiaomi Pad 5.

My suggestion is to flash back to China ROM and stay with it. Make sure you still have your Mi account linked to the device to avoid any bricking.
But does Netflix stream in HD?

Im have Mipad5 pro, and it can only stream in SD, same with Amazon Prime Video.

sltwtrr

Oct 9, 2019
Hi,

i'm considering to buy the mipad from aliexpress. it's the chinese device with either chinese or global rom. i don't know which one to chose. i don't mind that the firmware will be in english, but i use hebrew in the apps. can you share regarding the differences between the two roms?

sltwtrr

Oct 9, 2019
I also switched from CN to global. No issies but Google not certified.
I installed the latest October update and Google is certified now.
Installed latest netflix apk from apkmirror and its streaming in HD
i think to buy the chinese device with global rom from aliexpress. you think that the october update will get google certified? (how do you get the update). thanks

sltwtrr

Oct 9, 2019
I cant tell you what decision to make, only what worked for me. Open bootloader is not a problem.
Thank you. I really dont understand anything in this regard. Is there any chance that your device doesnt have the firmware found on a Chinese device with global rom from aliexpress? (so your experience might not be relevant here)