Low Audio Quality of Media While in Call/VoIP

Search This thread

Jason Christopher

Nov 8, 2020
Btw My Phone is Version 9 and also Oreo, Maybe I want discord to have an AudioTrack to as Input and the Output is Opengles so it makes the sounds better and people can hear you with High quality better, and you can hear them with high quality as well, I installed A daw called Ntracks 9 and I went to the settings and do something with it until I spend an hour's to found a way to get a higher quality with low latency, and I tried Playback in realtime, it's perfect so I want discord to have this AudioTrack and Opengles Separated

Xan_z

Oct 11, 2020
Btw My Phone is Version 9 and also Oreo, Maybe I want discord to have an AudioTrack to as Input and the Output is Opengles so it makes the sounds better and people can hear you with High quality better, and you can hear them with high quality as well, I installed A daw called Ntracks 9 and I went to the settings and do something with it until I spend an hour's to found a way to get a higher quality with low latency, and I tried Playback in realtime, it's perfect so I want discord to have this AudioTrack and Opengles Separated
The problem is in every call not just discord.
Teams, duo, messenger and zoom. Some time it gets fixed randomly but I want a consistent way to fix it. Calling someone and putting the call on hold then the other side closes the call works but you need two phones and it's a chore for every call so I need a better way to fix it.

Snapdragon_User

Jan 18, 2018
I NEED TO REVIVE THIS THREAD WITH THE DEFINITIVE SOLUTION * WITHOUT VOICE MAIL *

Tested on One UI 2.5, Jan 2021, Samsung Galaxy S9 (Snapdragon model) BUT MUST WORK ON ALL TYPE OF ROM!!!

• Since I bought the Galaxy S9 I immediately noticed the problem: the high-fidelity sound just sounded like an OGG (inferior to mp3 file, like whatsapp audios) audio from whatsapp recorded on a galaxy pocket, no matter how high the quality of what I was hearing was, the bitrate seemed to go to the smallest ever evidenced in the entire history of mankind.

• HOW BAD IS THE SOUND: I could see that not only does the bitrate quality drop unbelievably, but ALL AUDIO IS TRANSFORMED IN MONO.Worse than a normal mono, it is a fake mono. In fact, it does not fulfill even the minimal role expected of a mono sound.Instead of joining the Right and Left channels, ONLY THE LEFT CHANNEL BECOMES TO EXIST AND IS CENTRALIZED, CANCELING ALL THE SOUND THAT SHOULD BE PLAYED ON THE RIGHT CHANNEL. I realized this with the song Oui ou Non, by my favorite artist, Angèle. At the beginning of the song there is a stereo separation of her voice, which is a delight to hear in high fidelity with Tidal Hi-Fi/Master. I could also see that DOLBY ATMOS affects this fake mono audio. In Dolby Atmos mode set to AUTOMATIC you can hear the right channel a little. In MOVIE mode you can hear even more, as this mode has surround sound that amplifies the stereo sound, so it is possible to hear with the left channel what plays on the right channel through that surround. In MUSIC mode it is IMPOSSIBLE to hear the right channel, the same way with Dolby Atmos disabled, as this mode does not apply surround and just maintain the original stereo separation without radical changes in the original file. Great for audiophiles who don't want their files to suffer so much changes, just delivering a more powerful and balanced audio, very decent. In VOICE mode there is minimal surround, so it is possible to hear the right channel even without its real operation, as the surround makes the left channel able to hear the sound with an amplified sound stage. TEST ON YOUR OWN WITH ANY STEREO SOUND TEST APP ON THE PLAY STORE AND CHANGE DOLBY ATMOS MODES DURING THE CALL.

• THE DEFINITIVE AND EASY SOLUTION: I had problems on the phone (via radio, like sms) Whatsapp, Discord, Viber, and others, BUT NOT WITH THE TELEGRAM. No, I'm not telling you to make these calls on Telegram. Just start a call on the telegram with someone who will not answer the call (this works for the person you want to call on WhatsApp or other apps because the call will work at the same time).

FIRST: PLAY A MUSIC AND LET IT PLAY. IF THE MUSIC PAUSES AT THE BEGINNING OF THE CALL, PLAY AGAIN.

Start the call on TELEGRAM FIRST and then call the person you want to talk to via the app you prefer. The call on Telegram will drop (will fail) because the person did not answer, and when that happens DURING YOUR CALL IN ANOTHER APP, the audio will return to normal. YOU ONLY NEED TO DO THIS. JUST MAKE A TELEGRAM CALL NOT ANSWERED WHILE YOU ARE IN A CALL IN ANOTHER APP LISTENING TO MUSIC.

YOU CAN ALSO JUST FINISH THE TELEGRAM CALL SINCE YOU HAVE STARTED THE CALL IN THE OTHER APP AND ARE PLAYING THE MUSIC.

I'm happy to have found the solution, I hope more people will find out.

HeirToYakuza

Jan 13, 2019
I NEED TO REVIVE THIS THREAD WITH THE DEFINITIVE SOLUTION * WITHOUT VOICE MAIL *

Tested on One UI 2.5, Jan 2021, Samsung Galaxy S9 (Snapdragon model) BUT MUST WORK ON ALL TYPE OF ROM!!!

• Since I bought the Galaxy S9 I immediately noticed the problem: the high-fidelity sound just sounded like an OGG (inferior to mp3 file, like whatsapp audios) audio from whatsapp recorded on a galaxy pocket, no matter how high the quality of what I was hearing was, the bitrate seemed to go to the smallest ever evidenced in the entire history of mankind.

• HOW BAD IS THE SOUND: I could see that not only does the bitrate quality drop unbelievably, but ALL AUDIO IS TRANSFORMED IN MONO.Worse than a normal mono, it is a fake mono. In fact, it does not fulfill even the minimal role expected of a mono sound.Instead of joining the Right and Left channels, ONLY THE LEFT CHANNEL BECOMES TO EXIST AND IS CENTRALIZED, CANCELING ALL THE SOUND THAT SHOULD BE PLAYED ON THE RIGHT CHANNEL. I realized this with the song Oui ou Non, by my favorite artist, Angèle. At the beginning of the song there is a stereo separation of her voice, which is a delight to hear in high fidelity with Tidal Hi-Fi/Master. I could also see that DOLBY ATMOS affects this fake mono audio. In Dolby Atmos mode set to AUTOMATIC you can hear the right channel a little. In MOVIE mode you can hear even more, as this mode has surround sound that amplifies the stereo sound, so it is possible to hear with the left channel what plays on the right channel through that surround. In MUSIC mode it is IMPOSSIBLE to hear the right channel, the same way with Dolby Atmos disabled, as this mode does not apply surround and just maintain the original stereo separation without radical changes in the original file. Great for audiophiles who don't want their files to suffer so much changes, just delivering a more powerful and balanced audio, very decent. In VOICE mode there is minimal surround, so it is possible to hear the right channel even without its real operation, as the surround makes the left channel able to hear the sound with an amplified sound stage. TEST ON YOUR OWN WITH ANY STEREO SOUND TEST APP ON THE PLAY STORE AND CHANGE DOLBY ATMOS MODES DURING THE CALL.

• THE DEFINITIVE AND EASY SOLUTION: I had problems on the phone (via radio, like sms) Whatsapp, Discord, Viber, and others, BUT NOT WITH THE TELEGRAM. No, I'm not telling you to make these calls on Telegram. Just start a call on the telegram with someone who will not answer the call (this works for the person you want to call on WhatsApp or other apps because the call will work at the same time).

FIRST: PLAY A MUSIC AND LET IT PLAY. IF THE MUSIC PAUSES AT THE BEGINNING OF THE CALL, PLAY AGAIN.

Start the call on TELEGRAM FIRST and then call the person you want to talk to via the app you prefer. The call on Telegram will drop (will fail) because the person did not answer, and when that happens DURING YOUR CALL IN ANOTHER APP, the audio will return to normal. YOU ONLY NEED TO DO THIS. JUST MAKE A TELEGRAM CALL NOT ANSWERED WHILE YOU ARE IN A CALL IN ANOTHER APP LISTENING TO MUSIC.

YOU CAN ALSO JUST FINISH THE TELEGRAM CALL SINCE YOU HAVE STARTED THE CALL IN THE OTHER APP AND ARE PLAYING THE MUSIC.

I'm happy to have found the solution, I hope more people will find out.
Hi, I was pretty surprised to receive an update to this topic, but I was interested in trying to address the issue, using your method, on my two old galaxy phones.

Devices: Galaxy A5 2017 running Android 8, A8 2018 running Android 8.
Particular app with the problem: Discord. Every voice call and joined room is in call mode, changing volume changes in-call volume. Voice audio quality is ok, music quality in the room quality is low, and the symptoms relate to those stated by you, only one side of the headset seems to play, and the quality is similar to cellular call.

What I tried: 1. Start Telegram call, then join voice chat in Discord - nothing changes, when Telegram hangs because of no answer - nothing changes.

2. Enter voice chat first then start Telegram call - same result.
3. Start Telegram call, start music on phone, enter voice chat with music - same:
4. Start music on phone, start Telegram call, enter chat - same result yet again.

I'm not sure if I did everything according to your instruction, I tried TG before the call and music + TG before the call, no positive change.
I was wondering if there is something else to try, or if I did something wrong? Thanks for the idea btw

Okicarde

Feb 17, 2021
Hi, i am really just tired of this.
I bought a Motorola One Fusion (xt2073-2) and i'm having the same issue mention before; this phone was released on 2020, July with a Snapdragon 710 and Android 10.
None of the solutions that this thread and others from Reddit provide, makes the sound of the phone work even a little during calls.

I've tried everything: Game Luncher trick, Discord options with the 35.4 APK (this one used to have the Voice Call Mode), tricky calls with Telgram or Voice mail didn't worked too, i can't change the Bluetooth setting over developer options becaused it doesn't change as you're changing it, safe mode, factory reset, hard reset.
I've requested a return and purchased the phone again, but this time from the official Motorola store.
THIS BUG EVEN AFFECTS THE SOUND WITHOUT USING A HEADPHONE

Tomorrow i'll borrow some bluetooth headphones from a friend. Maybe this bug only happens in my phone with wired headphones.

gcnto

Mar 30, 2021
Turkey
The workaround i accidentally(while trying to download YouTube videos with tubemate) found for this solution was to use tubemate (which is a non playstore application) as a browser. I tested for twitch and YouTube, both had excellent audio quality, I didn't test it but I think using a non - playstore verified app fixes the problem. Or atleast it did in my case with tubemate.
PS: My mic was muted on Google Duo but audio was good with tubemate and bad with youtube app.

_l_black

Oct 13, 2019
I don't know if its a proper way for must ppl but i found out that if you use lucky patcher to remove the permission "change phone audio" it will use media instead of the stupid call mode that changes the sound quality i tried it as is on discord and when i played any media source ( YouTube and spotify) at the same time it works awesome also work with telegram when you add some patches against the verification
And i guess any over app too
I hope someday they will fix it so you will be able to play games and talk through discord or mobile call without the tricks

dzvxo

Apr 30, 2017
Chicago
Moto G Play
This worked! Thanks.
I don't know if its a proper way for must ppl but i found out that if you use lucky patcher to remove the permission "change phone audio" it will use media instead of the stupid call mode that changes the sound quality i tried it as is on discord and when i played any media source ( YouTube and spotify) at the same time it works awesome also work with telegram when you add some patches against the verification
I hope someday they will fix it so you will be able to play games and talk through discord or mobile call without the tricks

faseeh844

Aug 12, 2018
How do I remove permission change phone audio

Norynde

Dec 14, 2013
I've always had this issue since my first smartphone. Now I have S9+, and I've tried all the solutions in here with no luck.

The last solution, about changing Discord permissions, doesn't seem to be an option for me. When I click on "all permissions" for Discord, the permissions aren't interactive. The only ones I can change, are microphone, camera and contacts. And the problem persists in every voip app.

I've kind of just always accepted that this is how phones work. But clearly not all phones do this. I have no idea what the solution could be or if there even is one. I'm moving away from Samsung next time I upgrade though, so maybe I won't have the problem much longer.

Last edited:

AshuYadav00

Dec 31, 2015
Bangalore
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Only workaround I found that works properly is by using discord in chrome browser in desktop mode, mic is also working, So im not sure if this problem is with samsung only or due to discord app. Though my friends with samsung phone only have this problem but not on oneplus 7.
But why is this issue is not solved since 4 years, while in pandemic this is more important.

Class666

Aug 7, 2021
Solved [ aug 2021 ]
There is one fix and u only need to do it once .

Is to download 'lucky patcher installer', install it even tho it shows as a virus

In the menu of LP find discord and expand options then chose (menu of paches) then (apk with changed per...) then scroll down to (modify_audio_settings) and click on it , so when it get's red that means u disabled it and congrats BUT WAIT .

Now u have to click (rebuild the app) , after some seconds the rebuilt apk will be ready , and you need to click browse to check it out in your files , but dont install that rebuilt apk yet !

Now go to home screen and uninstall discord
Then go back to LP and install the rebuilt apk of discord.

Then login and ur problem is solved !

It worked in my samsung A31 (os 11) , ive been expiriencing this stupid issue since forever , but today i fixed it and im so happy that i can listen to bots music while talking to friends , if it works for u , let me know guys.

Class666

Aug 7, 2021
Solved [ aug 2021 ]

Is to download 'lucky patcher installer', install it even tho it shows as a virus

In the menu of LP find discord and expand options then chose (menu of paches) then (apk with changed per...) then scroll down to (modify_audio_settings) and click on it , so when it get's red that means u disabled it and congrats BUT WAIT .

Now u have to click (rebuild the app) , after some seconds the rebuilt apk will be ready , and you need to click browse to check it out in your files , but dont install that rebuilt apk yet !

It worked in my samsung A31 (os 11) , ive been expiriencing this stupid issue since forever , but today i fixed it and im so happy that i can listen to bots music while talking to friends , if it works for u , let me know guys.

whow7

Sep 17, 2021
Solved [ aug 2021 ]

im happy that we finally found a solution, but I'm worried, does that get you banned? just don't wanna cry over 5 lost years of memories yk. but anyhow, I'm gonna be doing that right now.

whow7

Sep 17, 2021
hello, i know it was a few months ago that you posted this but can you get banned from doing so? i appreciate it.

kerimstar33

Sep 29, 2016
when i open music while on discord call, the sound quality is very very bad. but interestingly, when i open "Mobile Legends: Bang Bang" game while on call and listen music, sound quality is really perfect. even call sound become hd quality. when i close the game it's getting bad like before. i think if it is possible to get hd audio like that, we can make an app that have only this feature. i wonder why this game fix this problem. btw, sorry for my bad english.

kerimstar33

Sep 29, 2016
when i open music while on discord call, the sound quality is very very bad. but interestingly, when i open "Mobile Legends: Bang Bang" game while on call and listen music, sound quality is really perfect. even call sound become hd quality. when i close the game it's getting bad like before. i think if it is possible to get hd audio like that, we can make an app that have only this feature. i wonder why this game fix this problem. btw, sorry for my bad english.
I tried that with "PUBG MOBILE" and it also works too. both games make the sound HD.

whow7

Sep 17, 2021
i tried that. at the first time it work but later it become like before. after i try a couple times but never work again. it's so annoying :/
man are you sure? cause i did it and it stayed forever, the only problem is that it doesnt work on speaker anymore, just on the earpiece and if you plug in the headphones. other than that its as good as the pc

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the same problem with my S8+.

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

I did just find out that if you mute the MIC it will go back to original sound quality.
    I have the same issue after upgrading from a iPhone 5s with perfect discord sound quality, to my S8+ which makes the call quality really compressed and bad unless my own Mic is muted. Playing any kind of media while in a call makes it sound like it's playing audio from a 144p YouTube video from 2004.

I use discord nightly and i really really wish there was a way around this. :crying:
    SM-A315G/DSL - Galaxy A31 GSM

Same issue, running Android 10 OneUI 2.1 October 1 Security Patch.

When in calls/VoIP software (Messenger, Discord, Phone, etc.) audio for media instantly drops in quality. I've noticed that quality is raised when there is someone's voice in the media, leading me to think it's an intentional audio filter, which is ridiculous.

Who asked for this?? Given the state of the world, it's becoming more and more normal to be watching/listening to media while on the phone with a friend/loved one.

Any fix, even temporary, would be great. ?
    Thank you so much bro. It worked thank you so so much