• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Low memory killer values

Search This thread

fedef12evo

Jul 21, 2013
Modica
Hello my nexus 6 always slow down after days of use, too much apps on memory and low free ram, so I started stuying other devices oom settings, and found that two of fastest devices I can observe have this settings, so try it if you want , for me these fixed slugginess after days without reboot.

Attachments

• IMG-20160518-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20160518-WA0001.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 5,137
  • IMG-20160518-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20160518-WA0002.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 5,049
Reactions: MM.626

Dead-neM

Jan 23, 2013
France
Hello my nexus 6 always slow down after days of use, too much apps on memory and low free ram, so I started stuying other devices oom settings, and found that two of fastest devices I can observe have this settings, so try it if you want , for me these fixed slugginess after days without reboot.
which kernel are you using ?
normaly the stocl lmk values are good enough to not be laggy

Dead-neM

Jan 23, 2013
France
All the kernels have the same lmk values, that are too low
yes these are the stock value for 3gb of ram i guess but they're not too low. the android will kill old apps when necessary to free up the ram.

with gravitybox i can see that on recent tab my memory can be around 130mb free ( not feeling laggy) and when reopen the recent tab again there is around 400mb free and i don't touch lmk value

i think it's a kernel related problem this is why i ask which one he's using.

rignfool

Dec 8, 2010
The Poconos
All the kernels have the same lmk values, that are too low
No... not really...

I highly doubt it truly has to do with your lmk... and probably more to do with vmpressure

I bet you have that either set too low... or its broken all together... which means garbage collections isn't happening when it's supposed to...

If you were to drop_cache... your lag would be gone...

Messing with lmk without proper knowledge just leads to an unstable device

fedef12evo

Jul 21, 2013
Modica
No... not really...

I highly doubt it truly has to do with your lmk... and probably more to do with vmpressure

I bet you have that either set too low... or its broken all together... which means garbage collections isn't happening when it's supposed to...

If you were to drop_cache... your lag would be gone...

Messing with lmk without proper knowledge just leads to an unstable device

Maybe yes you are right, I am using aicp rom that has some tweaks about swappiness and vm cache pressure, what are the best values?

rignfool

Dec 8, 2010
The Poconos
Maybe yes you are right, I am using aicp rom that has some tweaks about swappiness and vm cache pressure, what are the best values?
Swappiness: no swap file(why do you need one with 3 GB of ram?) No change...

Vmpressure:
This is kinda grey...

There are 2 schools of thought...

HIGH: run between 100 and 200... your device will drop caches as necessary... with error on the side of... dump early dump often...

LOW: run at like 20... or even 0... but then run a cron.d job every 2 hours or so to "manually" drop caches... and when you realize you can make it longer between drops... you do...

Pros & Cons... I have no bloody idea...

Me personally... I like running between 150 and 200... it keeps my phone happy enough...

fedef12evo

Jul 21, 2013
Modica

Vmpressure:
This is kinda grey...

HIGH: run between 100 and 200... your device will drop caches as necessary... with error on the side of... dump early dump often...

LOW: run at like 20... or even 0... but then run a cron.d job every 2 hours or so to "manually" drop caches... and when you realize you can make it longer between drops... you do...

Me personally... I like running between 150 and 200... it keeps my phone happy enough...

On aicp stock value is swap 0 and cache pressure 20 , so I am going to try 200 thank you

MrBrady

Oct 26, 2010
I know it's not exactly on topic but what about scrolling cache? I hear if you disable it, scrolling in the UI is glassy smooth.

I don't know how to disable except I did see a setting once when I was running Dirty Unicorns.

Don't know if this was only valid on previous OS version or if it still works for MM.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Labs

fedef12evo

Jul 21, 2013
Modica
I know it's not exactly on topic but what about scrolling cache? I hear if you disable it, scrolling in the UI is glassy smooth.

I don't know how to disable except I did see a setting once when I was running Dirty Unicorns.

Don't know if this was only valid on previous OS version or if it still works for MM.

Already tried, without scrolling cache, device is very laggy, dont know why, but having it enabled is better

Reactions: MrBrady

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Vmpressure:
    This is kinda grey...

lol!
    btw, rebooting your device every once in a while will also keep it fast.

Already tried, without scrolling cache, device is very laggy, dont know why, but having it enabled is better