• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Low microphone volume?

Search This thread

saiknaram

Oct 6, 2008
Thanks Stephane!

Stephane, you are the man. I've been struggling with this problem ever since Android 4.3. This is the most legit solution I have seen and a quick fix for my problem. Kudos to you. And to other who said their problem was solved because you went with an S3 or HTC One, you are not helping anyone and are very annoying.

Hi!

If your phone is rooted, you can modify the headset microphone volume in the file /system/etc/mixer_paths.xml (see below).
I've done that on my Nexus 4 and it's working great.

If your phone is not rooted, I've published a patch on android source : https://android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/73711/
Hopefully someone at Google will see it and merge it for the next release => vote/comment it so that it gets attention!

/system/etc/mixer_paths.xml - before modification
=================================================
<path name="headset-mic">
<path name="adc2" />
<ctl name="ADC2 Volume" value="2" />
</path>

/system/etc/mixer_paths.xml - after modification
================================================
<path name="adc2" />
<ctl name="DEC8 Volume" value="99" />
</path>

Cheers,
--
Steph

Crohny

Jan 20, 2014
Toulouse
You need to mount /system partition as read and write. I use Esroot explorer for that

Envoyé de mon Nexus 4 en utilisant Tapatalk

fer2503

Nov 7, 2012
Someone can help me? I want to try to increase the earpiece volume. What value i have to change? Thanks

shmizan

Apr 18, 2011
Hi!

If your phone is rooted, you can modify the headset microphone volume in the file /system/etc/mixer_paths.xml (see below).

If your phone is not rooted, I've published a patch on android source : https://android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/73711/
Hopefully someone at Google will see it and merge it for the next release => vote/comment it so that it gets attention!

<path name="adc2" />
</path>

<path name="adc2" />
</path>

Cheers,
--
Steph

thanks a lot!
as I understand, your submitted change is abandoned, why is that?

stephane.rosi

Sep 19, 2011
thanks a lot!
as I understand, your submitted change is abandoned, why is that?
Hi !
Not sure I understood completely, but it looks like this change may break things for other headsets that work good enough... Maybe someone would be able to write a patch via xposed framework? (unfortunately I do not know how to do this)

AtmaDarkwolf

Aug 3, 2013
This is really easy to fix. Use Trixter mod, paid. This allows you to increase the volume of the speaker, headphones, microphone, etal. It increases the preamplifiers as well

By backwards engineered alien technology.....

If you come back to this thread, would u explain how you would adjust mic volume/gain using trixter? I've been using it for some time myself, and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how you mean this can be done.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Android 4.3 doesn't fix this issue. I'm using a Klipsch S4a (II) and mic volume is tiny.

Hi!

<path name="adc2" />
    </path>

<path name="adc2" />
    </path>

Cheers,
    --
    Steph
    Does anyone else have the person they are talking to mention how low you sound to them when speaking on the phone?
    It seems like I have a low microphone on my nexus 4, unless the phone is directly in front of my mouth the person can't hear me clearly, I'm thinking it might be hardware but I know with some phones this can be corrected with a custom driver that makes the microphone more receptive

Is there an app or setting that I can use that would disable noise cancellation in case that's what causing my mic to make me sound low?
    Does anyone else have the person they are talking to mention how low you sound to them when speaking on the phone?
    It seems like I have a low microphone on my nexus 4, unless the phone is directly in front of my mouth the person can't hear me clearly, I'm thinking it might be hardware but I know with some phones this can be corrected with a custom driver that makes the microphone more receptive

Is there an app or setting that I can use that would disable noise cancellation in case that's what causing my mic to make me sound low?

Actually I have the exact same problem - not sure what we can do to fix it.

If I crank up the volume fully it appears to -sometimes- solve the low audio problem.
    I'm starting to think the noise cancellation is playing some tricks.

While driving home this afternoon I was on headset on the freeway, where those I talked to could barely hear me.

Unplugged my headset (klipsch s4 image ii), and sound was good. After a while I plugged headset in again, still bad.

When coming off the freeway I kept the headset on while talking - and all of the sudden it was crystal clear (using the words of the guy I talked to at the time). At the same time I noticed that I had no data (outside even edge coverage), don't know if that is related or not.

Is there some way we could experiment / disable or tweak the noise cancelling?

Ps: I have had the same issues without headset also, so definitely something general software things going on

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
    Its actually on stock, so I just rooted it, and will try with a different rom shortly.
    I had the same setup. I am using the Xylon (stable) 15 ROM for several days now, and SO FAR I think the microphone reception is better. I haven't heard complaint from the person I speak to on the regular. *cross fingers* hope it's 'fixed' in some way.

Same thing here.. Sometimes they hear me, sometimes they don't even during the same call..
    That's exactly how my phone was as well. I would be on one call for a while and all of a sudden out of nowhere the person I'm speaking to says I sound like I'm speaking across a room and I'm like 'wtf happened? I haven't changed positions since I started talking to you!'
    I did a little testing with the person I was speaking to as well, to test the microphone receptiveness and the mic seems to pickup my voice better, I wasn't speaking directly into the mic and they said they heard me fine.

I'm starting to think the noise cancellation is playing some tricks.

While driving home this afternoon I was on headset on the freeway, where those I talked to could barely hear me.

Unplugged my headset (klipsch s4 image ii), and sound was good. After a while I plugged headset in again, still bad.

When coming off the freeway I kept the headset on while talking - and all of the sudden it was crystal clear (using the words of the guy I talked to at the time). At the same time I noticed that I had no data (outside even edge coverage), don't know if that is related or not.

Is there some way we could experiment / disable or tweak the noise cancelling?

Ps: I have had the same issues without headset also, so definitely something general software things going on

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
    I have a sneaking suspicion It might have to do with the noise cancelation as well, I think on paper whoever designed that feature on the phone thought it would be cool but it doesn't seem to be panning out too well. I've read somewhere on this forum about how to increase microphone volume and cancel the noise cancellation using the Terminal Emulator app and/or the phone's dial codes (#*#*some sumbers*#*#).
    I have the same earphones (no mic attached) and I have similar experience but I haven't taken note of it like you have since 95% of the time I have my headphones in the phone.

I also want to mention a little trick that I think seems to work when on calls. Whenever I turn the phone over, screen facing opposite of me, I hear less complaints of me sounding too low to the other person. Maybe it's doning something... i dont know. :rolleyes: