[LS997|VS995|H910|F800L] DirtySanta Bootloader unlock and Root guide

Search This thread

riverstyxxx

May 9, 2015
Just a swipe up on the home screen should suffice. Enter your password or touch the fingerprint reader if that ain't enough. I've been using this for a long time and rarely reboot, but as soon as the OS appears, a touch is enough to quell the vibration.
No good. I have the latest official lineage os installed, nothing helps except restarting the phone.

timkG

Jan 13, 2018
It looks like quite a few people are getting confused about the steps they need to take, so I wrote up the steps I took to get my device rooted. @me2151 - if you want to add it to the OP, feel free to do so! I'm not trying to take anything away from the original instructions, but I decided to just type up the steps I took to try and make things easier for people.

These instructions are for Windows users and are specific to the Sprint model (LS997). Others can follow them if they want, up to the point where I refer them back to the OP for other variants' instructions:

1. Download and install ADB and fastboot and add them to your path (see here for instructions) then reboot the PC so the changes go into effect (and to refresh your system, because it is Windows after all ;))
  2. Download and install the LG USB drivers (do not connect the phone to the PC until after this is done!!)
  3. Download all of the files from the OP and put them somewhere easy, for the purposes of this tutorial, I will use C:\android
  4. Extract the contents of v20-root.zip to the base of your working directory but do not extract the other zip's!
  5. Install a terminal emulator onto your phone from the Play Store (see the OP for a great one to use).
  6. If you haven't already, enable Developer Mode on the phone (search to figure out how) and make sure that USB debugging is enabled.
  7. Reboot your phone for safe measure!
  8. After the phone is rebooted, connect it to the PC and wait for the drivers to finish installing...
  9. IMPORTANT: Browse to your phone via Windows Explorer, open the EXTERNAL SD Card and copy both LS997-deODEXd-signed.zip and SuperSU.zip to it.
  10. Open a command prompt as Administrator (this may not be needed, but UAC can be weird in Windows so I recommend it anyway) and navigate to C:\android
  11. From C:\android, type: adb devices and make sure it sees your device. If it does, then proceed. If not, then start over!!
  12. From C:\android, type: RUNMEFIRST.bat and press Enter. This will open another command prompt window. Don't close this window and just move it to the side.
  13. From C:\android, type: Step1.bat and press Enter. (You will see two "Operation not permitted messages. Just ignore them and continue.)
  14. After Step1.bat has finished, go to your phone and open Terminal Emulator...
  15. From the elsa:/$ prompt, type: id from your phone's keyboard and press Enter.
    *** Look for the words "untrusted_app" in the output. If you see them, them proceed. If not, start over from step 11!!
  16. From the elsa:/$ prompt, type: applypatch /system/bin/atd /storage/emulated/0/dirtysanta and press Enter.
    *** Watch the other command prompt window that opened from the earlier step. It will eventually tell you to run Step2.bat.
  17. From C:\android, type: Step2.bat and press Enter. If everything goes well, your phone will reboot into bootloader (it will look tiny).
  18. From C:\android, type: Step3.bat and press Enter. If everything goes well, your phone will reboot back into the system. Don't unlock the phone...
  19. From C:\android, type: adb reboot recovery and press Enter. If everything goes well, your phone will reboot to TWRP.
    *** You will see a message saying your phone is corrupt. Ignore this and DO NOT TOUCH THE DEVICE!! Also, it takes time for TWRP to load so be patient!!
  20. If everything goes well, your phone will eventually boot to TWRP (yaay!). Press Cancel on the password screen, then swipe to modify the system files.
  21. I recommend performing a backup at this point. If you don't know how to perform a backup in TWRP, then Google search is your friend! :)
    If you are running anything other than the Sprint model, STOP here and go back to the OP for your specific instructions!! If you are on Sprint, the continue:
  22. Go to Wipe > Advanced and put checks in the following: Dalvik, System, Data, Internal and Cache and then slide to Wipe. Repeat these steps three times!!
  23. Go back to the main menu, then Wipe > Format Data, type yes and press Enter. Do this three times as well!!
  24. Go back to the main menu, then Reboot > Reboot Recovery and reboot the device back to recovery again.
  25. Go to Install > locate the LS997-deODEXd-signed.zip you added to your External SD card earlier and flash it. Then flash SuperSU.zip the same way...
  26. Once both files have been successfully flashed, click Wipe Cache/Dalvik and then Reboot System
  27. If everything goes well, your phone will reboot.
    *** It takes a good 10-15 minutes for it to boot. It may appear to be frozen, but it's not!! Just let it boot!!!
  28. After the phone has booted, go through the setup process until you are back to the home screen...
  29. From C:\android, type: adb reboot bootloader and press Enter. This will boot the device back to the bootloader screen
  30. From C:\android, type: fastboot flash boot boot2.img and press Enter. Wait for it to say finished.
  31. From C:\android, type: fastboot reboot and press Enter. This will reboot the device. Wait for it to finish loading...
  32. From C:\android, type: adb reboot recovery and press Enter. This will reboot the device back to recovery. Again, this takes a long time!
  33. Once you are in recovery, re-flash SuperSU.zip again. When it's complete, click Wipe Dalvik/Cache and then click Reboot System.
  34. Wait for the phone to boot up. It will take another 10-15 minutes or so....
If everything goes well, once the phone has finished booting, you will be fully rooted and ready to rock and roll!!
Stuck at step 16. Getting some error

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-12-12-12-00-22[1].png
    Screenshot_2021-12-12-12-00-22[1].png
    263.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    182 KB · Views: 69
In 3 days, it will be 5 years since I wrote those instructions. It's very possible that things have changed with the bootloader or overall system since then, and I no longer have that device so unfortunately, I am unable to help you out with your error. My only suggestion is to read through the more recent comments since I wrote it and see if anyone else has experienced similar issues and possibly has a resolution for you. Sorry bud! Good luck!

Darnrain1

Jan 2, 2018
USA
What's your phone model? Never mind

Are you typing in?

"applypatch /system/bin/atd /storage/emulated/0/dirtysanta"

If it doesn't show up as "Untrusted_app", repeat the above steps from Number 1

5) Watch the RUNMEFIRST dialog for when it tells you to run Step2. Then;

On Windows, double-click "Step2.bat"

Looks like you may have to try again.

Last edited:

timkG

Jan 13, 2018
H910
It does show "untrusted_app"
I'm typing in "applypatch /system/bin/atd /storage/emulated/0/dirtysanta"
and after I click enter I'm getting that error message and nothing happens at RUNMEFIRST dialog window

Attachments

• Screenshot_XDA.png
    Screenshot_XDA.png
    263.5 KB · Views: 42

tonycstech

Apr 17, 2014
I wonder if he is on the wrong android version.
This was written for lollipop and i think he has something else.
Does this even work with anything other then lollipop ?
I have brand new LG V20 with Android 7 on it. Really want to root but not sure if this method works.
Dont want to brick brand new phone.

Darnrain1

Jan 2, 2018
USA
H910
It does show "untrusted_app"
I'm typing in "applypatch /system/bin/atd /storage/emulated/0/dirtysanta"
and after I click enter I'm getting that error message and nothing happens at RUNMEFIRST dialog window

Run STEP1.BAT

Wait till you get a prompt back then type on computer dos prompt.
Code:
run-as con
chmod 0777 /storage/emulated/0/*

Now open up your terminal emulator on your phone and type:
Code:
applypatch /system/bin/atd /storage/emulated/0/dirtysanta

[ROOT] HOWTO: AT&T H910 up to v20g (FULLY TESTED)

Last edited:

tonycstech

Apr 17, 2014
Originaly this method came out for android 5.0
Then someone posted 6.0 image already rooted.
So now it works on 7.0 using same steps ?

tagatapos

Oct 25, 2011
Hi, everyone. Just wanted to ask about restoring. I'm currently using an H990DS rooted with DirtySanta and have LineageOS 18.1 CF. Is it possible to restore to original LG V20 stock firmware while staying rooted? I'll appreciate it if anyone can point me to a guide which I can follow. Thank you in advance.

Eent

Dec 13, 2017
After double clicking "Step3.bat" the device rebooted but is unable to reach the main lock screen...its stack on the Verizon logo ...then running "adb reboot recovery" from here reboots to an lg screen then when adb device is available a grey sceen..(like tv sets from the 90's without signal) Appears...what did i miss🤔

DonChino

Jun 2, 2013
Flash boot2 in the bootloader then try again
@me2151

Does anyone have a fix for this?
I am trying to ROOT an LG F800L

These instructions work up until you do the backupboot flash. Once it reboots, then it is all STATIC.

Then I found this and it says to flash BOOT2; but then you get the Secure Setup and it asks for a password. Yes, I did FORMAT DATA in TWRP or is there something I am missing there? Plus, if I flash the backup or boot1, then it does not do the Secure Setup; so that implies that BOOT2 is doing something.

So how do you get this to work for the F800L ? It seems like I either get STATIC or I get SECURE SETUP; which means I am screwed either way. I can always stick with Boot1 but then it is super laggy and whatnot.

I can at least ALWAYS go back to STOCK; but I spent like 2 days just going back and forth with these instructions.

Last edited:

me2151

Apr 12, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
@me2151

Does anyone have a fix for this?
I am trying to ROOT an LG F800L

These instructions work up until you do the backupboot flash. Once it reboots, then it is all STATIC.

Then I found this and it says to flash BOOT2; but then you get the Secure Setup and it asks for a password. Yes, I did FORMAT DATA in TWRP or is there something I am missing there? Plus, if I flash the backup or boot1, then it does not do the Secure Setup; so that implies that BOOT2 is doing something.

So how do you get this to work for the F800L ? It seems like I either get STATIC or I get SECURE SETUP; which means I am screwed either way. I can always stick with Boot1 but then it is super laggy and whatnot.

I can at least ALWAYS go back to STOCK; but I spent like 2 days just going back and forth with these instructions.
Iirc when you see static you can turn the screen off and back on to get it to show. I can't remember perfectly as this post is years old at this point

menriquez

Dec 19, 2010
Las Vegas
i came to this thread as i recently bought a F800L for $35 and I thought it would be fun to root it and be able to hack the machine address and get free COX internet and other stuff.

but after reading a lot of these V20 ROOT threads, i've come to the conclusion that there is no way it could be worth the amount of work and hassle i see everyone having, so its with a heavy heart and a somewhat defeated spirit i'll ask this one final question...

does anyone know of a fairly bulletproof guide that works with rooting a F800L? i can't deal with 18 steps or anything like that...just a simple 4-7 step guide on how to take a up-to-date F800L and root it with a modded ROM?

advTHANKSance!

Reactions: NeonHD

menriquez

Dec 19, 2010
Las Vegas
10gjiht.jpg

This method will, when completed, will provide you with root and an unlocked bootloader, with fastboot available. It is a somewhat involved process, but the majority of the process has been simplified as much as possible.

WARNING!!!!This replaces your current bootloader with a debug bootloader. If you attempt to lock this bootloader you may brick your device.
Currently AT&T(H910) and Sprint(LS997) cannot return to stock because no KDZ files are available.

Disclaimer:
Once your phone is unlocked, it will no longer be covered by LG warranty @me2151.
As we cannot guarantee the proper operation of our hardware with custom software, we are not able to maintain the full scope of warranty for your device after you have unlocked the bootloader.
Because of that we have a responsibility to let you know that defects which may result from, or were caused by custom device-software may not be covered by LG warranty @me2151.

LG @me2151 can no longer guarantee the full functionality of your device after you unlock the bootloader. Unlocking your device may cause unexpected side effects that may include but are not limited to the following:
***Your device may stop working.
***Certain features and functionalities may be disabled.*
***Your device may become unsafe to the point of causing you harm.
***Your device becomes physically damaged due to overheating.
***The behavior of your device may be altered.
***Some content on your device may no longer be accessible or playable due to invalid DRM keys.*
***All your user data, settings, and accounts may disappear. (Therefore, we recommend that*you*backup all your data).
** -*Software updates delivered via LG FOTA (Firmware Over the Air) or Web Download services may not work on your device anymore.
LG @me2151 will not be responsible for the damages caused by any*custom software being flashed to your phone.

Known Issues:
AM&FM Radio no longer works
Boot time higher
No way to revert to stock(LS997/H910)
Possible overdose of root awesomeness!
Maybe more. Let us know!

Links:
- v20-root.zip
- TWRP
- Terminal Emulator
- Newest SuperSU(SuperSU v2.78 SR5 or greater is needed)
-Stock LS997 rom. for Sprint users only. (Fix's numerous problems)

Pre-requisites:
- ADB and fastboot setup and Installed
- Terminal Emulator installed onto the phone.
- The above links downloaded and SuperSU placed on the SD Card.

Working Devices:
- Verizon (VS995)
- Sprint (LS997)
- ATT (H910)
- Korean(F800L)
Note: International Variants (E.g.H990DS) May get supported in the future, but are currently being worked on at the moment. If you attempt to use this method on Unsupported Devices(any V20 not listed in working devices) then you are in uncharted territory. It will almost definitely brick your device. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

This will tutorial will be broken up into 2 sections, during the second section the instructions will differ depending on the variant of the phone you are using.

- Unlocking the Bootloader:

1) Copy all the files from inside the "Required Files" (Inside the unzipped "v20-root" folder) and paste it into your active ADB directory. Then copy and paste twrp-3.0.2-1-us996.img to your active ADB directory.

2) If you currently don't have Terminal Emulator then go and download and install now.

3) Plug your device into the computer and verify ADB is working. Then;

On Windows, double-click "RUNMEFIRST.bat, DO NOT CLOSE THE LOG WINDOW THAT OPENS, then double-click "Step1.bat"

On Linux/MacOS ("#" Signifies a comment below)
Code:
./RUNMEFIRST.sh
# OR
bash ./RUNMEFIRST.sh
Open a Separate Terminal next to the RUNMEFIRST terminal, then type:
Code:
./Step1.sh
# OR
bash ./Step1.sh
When you run The sh or Bat files there will be a Permission denied error on 2 files: Flatland and Flatland64. This is normal and nothing to worry about.
3.5) Wait for a shell prompt, then type (or copy):
Code:
run-as con

4) Open Up Terminal Emulator
Type:
Code:
id
Check if context is "Untrusted_app"
t8WSPZw.png

If "Untrusted_app" is displayed, Continue:
Type into Terminal Emulator:
Code:

On Linux/MacOS, type:
Code:
./Step2.sh
# OR
Bash ./Step2.sh

Once step 2 is completed, you'll be in bootloader, procced to "Flashing TWRP" section to continue.

Note/Warning: Verizon Users Vibrator will be constantly going off, until the whole process is complete (Past Android Setup Wizard).

- Flashing TWRP and Fixing Varient Issues:
1) Run Step3, so TWRP can be flashed and a working boot.img flashed (Fix's screen problem) by;

On Windows, double-click "Step3.bat"

On Linux/MacOS, type:
Code:
./Step3.sh
# OR
Bash ./Step3.sh
******Sidenote******
If you get message saying <waiting for device> on Step3.bat then you do not have the fastboot drivers installed(you may have the program but not the drivers).
To fix: Go to your device manager while the device is connected in fasboot and right click the item that says Android and select update drivers. Then select from internet. and let it install the drivers then try step3.bat again.
2) After you're rebooted, and back at the main lockscreen, type;
Code:
adb reboot recovery

Your device will reboot to an LG screen. Keep checking adb devices for your device.
Then type:
Code:
adb reboot recovery
Device should display a red triangle and say corrupt, then it will boot into TWRP.

3)Once in TWRP, Press Cancel on the password prompt and then swipe to allow system modifications.
Note:If you wish to make a back up now, you MUST save it to your SD card, and you cannot backup the data partition.
After the backup is complete, return to the main menu and hit wipe then select ?Format Data?, and follow the instructions there.

4) Steps below will differ, depending on what model you have, choose the correct model and follow its method.
- Verizon(VS995) and ATT(H910):​
4.1) Flash SuperSU.zip
4.2) Go back to Main-menu > Wipe > [Format Data] > Type ?Yes?​
4.3) Go back to Wipe > Advanced > Check Dalvik, Data and Cache > Slide to wipe​
4.4) Go back to Main-menu > Reboot > System​
- Sprint(LS997):​
4.1) Go to Wipe > Advanced > Check Dalvik, System, Data and Cache > Slide to wipe​
4.2) Go back to Wipe > [Format Data] > Type ?Yes?​
4.3) Go back to Main menu > Install > LS997 Stock Rom then Flash SuperSU.zip
4.4) Go back to Main-menu > Reboot > System(you will get static on boot. this is normal)​
4.5) Sprint users are Done at this point. You do not need anything else. Everything will work except static on boot.​
Note:Any following Instructions are for all devices again.

5) During reboot you will get a Red Triangle with a "!" inside, this is normal (First boot after flashing SuperSu will show the Red triangle twice.Wait for system to boot (this will take awhile). It may appear like the system has frozen but it has not. JUST WAIT!
*****VERIZON USERS******
It has come to my attention that some users have encountered abnormally long first boot time(over 20 minutes before first time setup)
To resolve this issue:
Boot into bootloader by pulling the battery and reinserting it and holding VOL- and phugging in the phone. then typing:
Code:
fastboot flash boot bootbackup.img
fastboot reboot
*****ALL USERS*****
If you encounter a "Secure Boot" Password then booting the first time you did not Format data properly.
To reiterate: To properly decrypt the device you need to boot into TWRP and go to WIPE->FORMAT DATA and you will be prompted to type "yes" to format and decrypt.
Once you are booted and have proceeded through the setup wizard, re-enable Android Debugging (ADB) if not already enabled.
Type:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

6) Once inside bootloader, Type:
Code:
When it says finished, Type:
Code:
fastboot reboot
The device will boot back into system.

WARNING:This is a required step for non sprint users, it prevents background crashes and fix's battery drain. If you do NOT follow this then the device will have bad battery life, be laggy and crashes will occur regularly.

7) Once full booted back into android, Type;
Code:
adb reboot recovery

8) Once TWRP loads, Then;
- Flash SuperSU.zip
- Go back to Wipe > Advanced > Check Dalvik and Cache > Slide to wipe
- Go back to Main-menu > Reboot > System

You now should have a rooted LG v20, download your favorite root checker app and verify root.
Note:For a root app to work, it will have to support Systemless root.

Contributers/Developers:
@me2151(General)
@glitschi667(General)
@EMSpilot(Debug device) #3
@elliwigy(Ideas and testing) #5
@Matt07211(Formatting this awesome guide and helping out with general stuffs)#4
@1619415(Awesome Santa Pic at the top!)#8

so your telling me I can flash this Stock_LS997 ROM on my F800L and will have no issues at all with that? bcuz im finding info all over saying if you try to flash the wrong firmwares that you will brick your device very quickly?

i really do want to get rid of all the korean bloat thats currently on the phone, but i don't want any bricking headaches...that's FOR SURE.

thanks to everyone for all the hard work they have put into this so my sorry ass can just read one post and have it spoon fed to me!

DonChino

Jun 2, 2013
so your telling me I can flash this Stock_LS997 ROM on my F800L and will have no issues at all with that? bcuz im finding info all over saying if you try to flash the wrong firmwares that you will brick your device very quickly?

i really do want to get rid of all the korean bloat thats currently on the phone, but i don't want any bricking headaches...that's FOR SURE.

thanks to everyone for all the hard work they have put into this so my sorry ass can just read one post and have it spoon fed to me!

@menriquez

Do not be such a scaredy cat, because we are all taking risks; but very difficult to "brick" the LG V20, since I have gone back to stock like 10 times now. 😿
But I have to pass it forward; because these guys have been wonderful and I finally have my LG F800L running smooth with Android 9.0.

I will not repeat the steps all over; but someone pointed me to the Korean thread on XDA where they handle all the Korean variants. The Korean thread hooked it up and I basically "mashed" the me2151 and ezzony guides together and have my LG F800L running. Very happy with the results and it is on Android 9.0; so you are welcome to follow the conversation over there.

Ampicillin - Korean - Korean Variant Thread

Just look for my reply in that thread and once again, LG F800L with TWRP, MAGISK, ANDROID 9.0 DEBLOATED...

You are welcome and see you on the flip...

🤘😎

Last edited:
Looking to play with /e/OS and planning to use my secondary device first to test the waters. I have an LS997 (Sprint varient) that was previously unlocked using DIrty Santa if I recall. Currently running TWRP recovery, LineageOS 18. Works fine, mostly. But the boot time is ANNOYINGLY long because of the stupid red '!' "your device is corrupt" error.

Is there a way to fix this? I don't care to go back to stock, and this thing is long out of warranty (with LG not making phones anymore anyway) and doesn't have much value anyway so I don't mind the risk.

Oh BTW what is the worst thing that could happen if you (deliberatly) flash the wrong KDZ file to the phone? Sprint is now T-mobile and uses standard SIM and GSM technology like the rest of the world anyway, and I tested my T mobile SIM in the phone and it worked fine.

Reactions: Mysticblaze347

Mysticblaze347

Jun 12, 2018
Looking to play with /e/OS and planning to use my secondary device first to test the waters. I have an LS997 (Sprint varient) that was previously unlocked using DIrty Santa if I recall. Currently running TWRP recovery, LineageOS 18. Works fine, mostly. But the boot time is ANNOYINGLY long because of the stupid red '!' "your device is corrupt" error.

Is there a way to fix this? I don't care to go back to stock, and this thing is long out of warranty (with LG not making phones anymore anyway) and doesn't have much value anyway so I don't mind the risk.

Oh BTW what is the worst thing that could happen if you (deliberatly) flash the wrong KDZ file to the phone? Sprint is now T-mobile and uses standard SIM and GSM technology like the rest of the world anyway, and I tested my T mobile SIM in the phone and it worked fine.
Hang on, your ls997 works on tmobile? They told me it wouldn't work with the 3g shut off. Even tho ls977 don't need 3g signal. Hence 4g lte. This is kinda big imo.

If I could fully root my ls997 current oreo, that would be sweet, but last I knew full bootloader unlock root past early 7.0 is impossible. Temp root is better then nothing still.

My current tmobile phone is a a71 5g. Unrootable from what I know past 2021 firmware. Was told needed to continue service. Lies like I thought I guess.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    10gjiht.jpg

This method will, when completed, will provide you with root and an unlocked bootloader, with fastboot available. It is a somewhat involved process, but the majority of the process has been simplified as much as possible.

WARNING!!!!This replaces your current bootloader with a debug bootloader. If you attempt to lock this bootloader you may brick your device.
    Currently AT&T(H910) and Sprint(LS997) cannot return to stock because no KDZ files are available.

Disclaimer:
    Once your phone is unlocked, it will no longer be covered by LG warranty @me2151.
    As we cannot guarantee the proper operation of our hardware with custom software, we are not able to maintain the full scope of warranty for your device after you have unlocked the bootloader.
    Because of that we have a responsibility to let you know that defects which may result from, or were caused by custom device-software may not be covered by LG warranty @me2151.

LG @me2151 can no longer guarantee the full functionality of your device after you unlock the bootloader. Unlocking your device may cause unexpected side effects that may include but are not limited to the following:
    ***Your device may stop working.
    ***Certain features and functionalities may be disabled.*
    ***Your device may become unsafe to the point of causing you harm.
    ***Your device becomes physically damaged due to overheating.
    ***The behavior of your device may be altered.
    ***Some content on your device may no longer be accessible or playable due to invalid DRM keys.*
    ***All your user data, settings, and accounts may disappear. (Therefore, we recommend that*you*backup all your data).
    ** -*Software updates delivered via LG FOTA (Firmware Over the Air) or Web Download services may not work on your device anymore.
    LG @me2151 will not be responsible for the damages caused by any*custom software being flashed to your phone.

Known Issues:
    AM&FM Radio no longer works
    Boot time higher
    No way to revert to stock(LS997/H910)
    Possible overdose of root awesomeness!
    Maybe more. Let us know!

Links:
    - v20-root.zip
    - TWRP
    - Terminal Emulator
    - Newest SuperSU(SuperSU v2.78 SR5 or greater is needed)
    -Stock LS997 rom. for Sprint users only. (Fix's numerous problems)

Pre-requisites:
    - ADB and fastboot setup and Installed
    - Terminal Emulator installed onto the phone.
    - The above links downloaded and SuperSU placed on the SD Card.

Working Devices:
    - Verizon (VS995)
    - Sprint (LS997)
    - ATT (H910)
    - Korean(F800L)
    Note: International Variants (E.g.H990DS) May get supported in the future, but are currently being worked on at the moment. If you attempt to use this method on Unsupported Devices(any V20 not listed in working devices) then you are in uncharted territory. It will almost definitely brick your device. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

This will tutorial will be broken up into 2 sections, during the second section the instructions will differ depending on the variant of the phone you are using.

- Unlocking the Bootloader:

1) Copy all the files from inside the "Required Files" (Inside the unzipped "v20-root" folder) and paste it into your active ADB directory. Then copy and paste twrp-3.0.2-1-us996.img to your active ADB directory.

2) If you currently don't have Terminal Emulator then go and download and install now.

3) Plug your device into the computer and verify ADB is working. Then;

On Windows, double-click "RUNMEFIRST.bat, DO NOT CLOSE THE LOG WINDOW THAT OPENS, then double-click "Step1.bat"

On Linux/MacOS ("#" Signifies a comment below)
    Code:
    ./RUNMEFIRST.sh
    # OR
    bash ./RUNMEFIRST.sh
    Open a Separate Terminal next to the RUNMEFIRST terminal, then type:
    Code:
    ./Step1.sh
    # OR
    bash ./Step1.sh
    When you run The sh or Bat files there will be a Permission denied error on 2 files: Flatland and Flatland64. This is normal and nothing to worry about.
    3.5) Wait for a shell prompt, then type (or copy):
    Code:
    run-as con

4) Open Up Terminal Emulator
    Type:
    Code:
    id
    Check if context is "Untrusted_app"
    t8WSPZw.png

If "Untrusted_app" is displayed, Continue:
    Type into Terminal Emulator:
    Code:

On Linux/MacOS, type:
    Code:
    ./Step2.sh
    # OR
    Bash ./Step2.sh

Once step 2 is completed, you'll be in bootloader, procced to "Flashing TWRP" section to continue.

Note/Warning: Verizon Users Vibrator will be constantly going off, until the whole process is complete (Past Android Setup Wizard).

- Flashing TWRP and Fixing Varient Issues:
    1) Run Step3, so TWRP can be flashed and a working boot.img flashed (Fix's screen problem) by;

On Windows, double-click "Step3.bat"

On Linux/MacOS, type:
    Code:
    ./Step3.sh
    # OR
    Bash ./Step3.sh
    ******Sidenote******
    If you get message saying <waiting for device> on Step3.bat then you do not have the fastboot drivers installed(you may have the program but not the drivers).
    To fix: Go to your device manager while the device is connected in fasboot and right click the item that says Android and select update drivers. Then select from internet. and let it install the drivers then try step3.bat again.
    2) After you're rebooted, and back at the main lockscreen, type;
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery

Your device will reboot to an LG screen. Keep checking adb devices for your device.
    Then type:
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    Device should display a red triangle and say corrupt, then it will boot into TWRP.

3)Once in TWRP, Press Cancel on the password prompt and then swipe to allow system modifications.
    Note:If you wish to make a back up now, you MUST save it to your SD card, and you cannot backup the data partition.
    After the backup is complete, return to the main menu and hit wipe then select ?Format Data?, and follow the instructions there.

4) Steps below will differ, depending on what model you have, choose the correct model and follow its method.

- Verizon(VS995) and ATT(H910):
    4.1) Flash SuperSU.zip
    4.2) Go back to Main-menu > Wipe > [Format Data] > Type ?Yes?
    4.3) Go back to Wipe > Advanced > Check Dalvik, Data and Cache > Slide to wipe
    4.4) Go back to Main-menu > Reboot > System

- Sprint(LS997):
    4.1) Go to Wipe > Advanced > Check Dalvik, System, Data and Cache > Slide to wipe
    4.2) Go back to Wipe > [Format Data] > Type ?Yes?
    4.3) Go back to Main menu > Install > LS997 Stock Rom then Flash SuperSU.zip
    4.4) Go back to Main-menu > Reboot > System(you will get static on boot. this is normal)
    4.5) Sprint users are Done at this point. You do not need anything else. Everything will work except static on boot.
    Note:Any following Instructions are for all devices again.

5) During reboot you will get a Red Triangle with a "!" inside, this is normal (First boot after flashing SuperSu will show the Red triangle twice.Wait for system to boot (this will take awhile). It may appear like the system has frozen but it has not. JUST WAIT!
    *****VERIZON USERS******
    It has come to my attention that some users have encountered abnormally long first boot time(over 20 minutes before first time setup)
    To resolve this issue:
    Boot into bootloader by pulling the battery and reinserting it and holding VOL- and phugging in the phone. then typing:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    *****ALL USERS*****
    If you encounter a "Secure Boot" Password then booting the first time you did not Format data properly.
    To reiterate: To properly decrypt the device you need to boot into TWRP and go to WIPE->FORMAT DATA and you will be prompted to type "yes" to format and decrypt.
    Once you are booted and have proceeded through the setup wizard, re-enable Android Debugging (ADB) if not already enabled.
    Type:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

6) Once inside bootloader, Type:
    Code:
    When it says finished, Type:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    The device will boot back into system.

WARNING:This is a required step for non sprint users, it prevents background crashes and fix's battery drain. If you do NOT follow this then the device will have bad battery life, be laggy and crashes will occur regularly.

7) Once full booted back into android, Type;
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery

8) Once TWRP loads, Then;
    - Flash SuperSU.zip
    - Go back to Wipe > Advanced > Check Dalvik and Cache > Slide to wipe
    - Go back to Main-menu > Reboot > System

You now should have a rooted LG v20, download your favorite root checker app and verify root.
    Note:For a root app to work, it will have to support Systemless root.

Contributers/Developers:
    @me2151(General)
    @glitschi667(General)
    @EMSpilot(Debug device) #3
    @elliwigy(Ideas and testing) #5
    @Matt07211(Formatting this awesome guide and helping out with general stuffs)#4
    @1619415(Awesome Santa Pic at the top!)#8
    Alright guys. Its time for some fixes!!!
    For our known issues:
    Comfort view, youtube, boot time and possibly radio.
    All fixed by flashing the AT&T H918 Konverged Kernel.

Keep in mind this is a temporary fix until I get a full custom kernel made for our devices(or at least a way to make the screen work out of box that we can use on other kernel sources).

To use this kernel on our phones you need to download the zip, Place on sd card, reboot to twrp, install the zip, wipe dalvik/cache then reboot.
    You WILL GET STATIC ON EVERY REBOOT!
    After the phone is booted put the screen to sleep by pressing the power button and cover your proximity sensor(so your 2nd screen turns off) then turn your screen back on. Your screen will work until reboot. If you reboot you will have the static again. Just follow the steps I just listed above to get the screen working again.
    --------
    Other Updates.
    I believe I have finally found a way to revert sprint devices sprint devices to unrooted stock. I will be testing the method on my phone in the next couple days.

WooHoo!!!! I bricked attempting to revert!

So heres an update for you guys. Reverting has been confirmed possible using KDZ files for your specific models. Confirmed working for KDZs are H915, VS995 and some others. I do Have a new v20. I am going to pull the stock sprint files tomorrow and see what I can do about making that work.
    Nicely done Guys.

@me2151(General)
    @glitschi667(General)
    @elliwigy(Ideas and testing)
    @Matt07211(Formatting this awesome guide and helping out with general stuffs)
    @1619415(Awesome Santa Pic at the top!)

I am extremely happy that the V20 User Debug I invested in worked out!

Enjoy everyone!!

Cheers
    It looks like quite a few people are getting confused about the steps they need to take, so I wrote up the steps I took to get my device rooted. @me2151 - if you want to add it to the OP, feel free to do so! I'm not trying to take anything away from the original instructions, but I decided to just type up the steps I took to try and make things easier for people.

These instructions are for Windows users and are specific to the Sprint model (LS997). Others can follow them if they want, up to the point where I refer them back to the OP for other variants' instructions:

1. Download and install ADB and fastboot and add them to your path (see here for instructions) then reboot the PC so the changes go into effect (and to refresh your system, because it is Windows after all ;))
    2. Download and install the LG USB drivers (do not connect the phone to the PC until after this is done!!)
    3. Download all of the files from the OP and put them somewhere easy, for the purposes of this tutorial, I will use C:\android
    4. Extract the contents of v20-root.zip to the base of your working directory but do not extract the other zip's!
    5. Install a terminal emulator onto your phone from the Play Store (see the OP for a great one to use).
    6. If you haven't already, enable Developer Mode on the phone (search to figure out how) and make sure that USB debugging is enabled.
    7. Reboot your phone for safe measure!
    8. After the phone is rebooted, connect it to the PC and wait for the drivers to finish installing...
    9. IMPORTANT: Browse to your phone via Windows Explorer, open the EXTERNAL SD Card and copy both LS997-deODEXd-signed.zip and SuperSU.zip to it.
    10. Open a command prompt as Administrator (this may not be needed, but UAC can be weird in Windows so I recommend it anyway) and navigate to C:\android
    11. From C:\android, type: adb devices and make sure it sees your device. If it does, then proceed. If not, then start over!!
    12. From C:\android, type: RUNMEFIRST.bat and press Enter. This will open another command prompt window. Don't close this window and just move it to the side.
    13. From C:\android, type: Step1.bat and press Enter. (You will see two "Operation not permitted messages. Just ignore them and continue.)
    14. After Step1.bat has finished, go to your phone and open Terminal Emulator...
    15. From the elsa:/$ prompt, type: id from your phone's keyboard and press Enter.
      *** Look for the words "untrusted_app" in the output. If you see them, them proceed. If not, start over from step 11!!
    16. From the elsa:/$ prompt, type: applypatch /system/bin/atd /storage/emulated/0/dirtysanta and press Enter.
      *** Watch the other command prompt window that opened from the earlier step. It will eventually tell you to run Step2.bat.
    17. From C:\android, type: Step2.bat and press Enter. If everything goes well, your phone will reboot into bootloader (it will look tiny).
    18. From C:\android, type: Step3.bat and press Enter. If everything goes well, your phone will reboot back into the system. Don't unlock the phone...
    19. From C:\android, type: adb reboot recovery and press Enter. If everything goes well, your phone will reboot to TWRP.
      *** You will see a message saying your phone is corrupt. Ignore this and DO NOT TOUCH THE DEVICE!! Also, it takes time for TWRP to load so be patient!!
    20. If everything goes well, your phone will eventually boot to TWRP (yaay!). Press Cancel on the password screen, then swipe to modify the system files.
    21. I recommend performing a backup at this point. If you don't know how to perform a backup in TWRP, then Google search is your friend! :)
      If you are running anything other than the Sprint model, STOP here and go back to the OP for your specific instructions!! If you are on Sprint, the continue:
    22. Go to Wipe > Advanced and put checks in the following: Dalvik, System, Data, Internal and Cache and then slide to Wipe. Repeat these steps three times!!
    23. Go back to the main menu, then Wipe > Format Data, type yes and press Enter. Do this three times as well!!
    24. Go back to the main menu, then Reboot > Reboot Recovery and reboot the device back to recovery again.
    25. Go to Install > locate the LS997-deODEXd-signed.zip you added to your External SD card earlier and flash it. Then flash SuperSU.zip the same way...
    26. Once both files have been successfully flashed, click Wipe Cache/Dalvik and then Reboot System
    27. If everything goes well, your phone will reboot.
      *** It takes a good 10-15 minutes for it to boot. It may appear to be frozen, but it's not!! Just let it boot!!!
    28. After the phone has booted, go through the setup process until you are back to the home screen...
    29. From C:\android, type: adb reboot bootloader and press Enter. This will boot the device back to the bootloader screen
    30. From C:\android, type: fastboot flash boot boot2.img and press Enter. Wait for it to say finished.
    31. From C:\android, type: fastboot reboot and press Enter. This will reboot the device. Wait for it to finish loading...
    32. From C:\android, type: adb reboot recovery and press Enter. This will reboot the device back to recovery. Again, this takes a long time!
    33. Once you are in recovery, re-flash SuperSU.zip again. When it's complete, click Wipe Dalvik/Cache and then click Reboot System.
    34. Wait for the phone to boot up. It will take another 10-15 minutes or so....
    If everything goes well, once the phone has finished booting, you will be fully rooted and ready to rock and roll!!
    According to me2151's post that he is moving on to an Axon 7, I was hoping other developers might step in to continue the project.

i Bought an Axon 7. That doesnt mean im leaving you guys. I got my replacement v20 today so ill be back in the game. I am going to attempt an alternate method of providing root but it WILL be much more involved than this current one. but if it work the it should work on dirtycow patched devices.

Word of warning: Any sprint user who is on a version higher than ZV3 then DirtySanta will not work as they patched it.