• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

LS99720a - Any way to root JUST for deleted file recovery? Don't need other stuff.

Search This thread

bezrq

Jul 14, 2016
Title. I no longer use this phone but I would _love_ to be able to get deleted stuff off of it. I did this in the past with my old LG G3 and never had any issues like this phone has with getting to root. I tried it when I first got the phone, tried it a year later. never worked. Now trying 3 yrs lol. Is there anything I can do or am I SOL?

Phoenix591

Oct 15, 2017
Original Reddit post for anyone else who is reading

Thats an Oreo version, and so is past the point of no return. It's unrootable. Tiny electronic fuses have been physically burned to prevent it from booting rootable firmware.

As I mentioned the last version that has the ability to return to a rootable version was ZV7 (the actually rootable versions were ZV5 or earlier, however LS997 did updates weird which ment that firmware wasn't available to flash using the same tools other models use... If on ZV6 or ZV7 its possible to root by crossflashing another model's firmware briefly ) , which was a few updates before oreo came out.

Snakecharmed

Sep 30, 2011
LG V20
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
i know you answered it, i just wanted to see if there was any other sort of input anyone could give. just really desperate i guess. i guess i will never be buying thru sprint again.

Unfortunately, the LS997 ended up being more limited than the other carrier-specific models. However, root access is getting harder to come by on new carrier-specific devices in general.