LTE showing instead of 4G

Search This thread

KrewsialNL

Jun 9, 2010
Bucharest, Romania
Hello,

I ve searched for this and I am curious how I can have 4G showing instead of LTE in the top bar?

All my other devices show 4G (non Pixel ones), this one however, keeps showing LTE.

It's nothing urgent, but if someone knows the trick to change it, I'd be grateful 😁

Thanks and have a good weekend ahead.

bubbyj

Dec 31, 2015
Just curious, why do you want to change what it reports?

Whats important are your actual download speeds. LTE speeds cover everything from fast 3g, to slow 5g -- and everything in between. True 4g is supposed to be 100mbps minimum, but has a theorectical limit of 1gbps. However, no carrier offers this speed for 4g that I know of.

I used speedtest.net to determine my download speeds. I run 5 runs, and average them out. The best way to do this is to place the device on a stable service and dont touch it, other than to run the tests. Tell us what you get.

But as far as what it reports -- 4g or LTE -- thats really not that important. Who are you under contract with, just curious? T-mobile often showed me 4g, rather than LTE. But verizon and ATT have exclusively used LTE as their designation.

And before anyone chimes in and "educates" me on 4g and LTE... don't. I know the difference. I understand it quite well, in fact. My point is that even if you show 5g on your phone, but you're pulling 25mbps... a 4g connection may pull 125-150mbps. Which would you prefer? The designation, or the actual speeds?

somin.n

• Feb 3, 2013
    Hi! If you are rooted, it can be done by editing file:
    Code:
    carrierconfig-com.google.android.carrier-*.xml
    where '*' is some long number.
    In folder:
    Code:
    /data_mirror/data_de/null/0/com.android.phone/files
    Add this line:
    Code:
    <boolean name="show_4g_for_lte_data_icon_bool" value="true" />
    save and restart phone. This should solve your wants ;)

Reactions: KrewsialNL

KrewsialNL

Jun 9, 2010
    Bucharest, Romania
    Just curious, why do you want to change what it reports?

Whats important are your actual download speeds. LTE speeds cover everything from fast 3g, to slow 5g -- and everything in between. True 4g is supposed to be 100mbps minimum, but has a theorectical limit of 1gbps. However, no carrier offers this speed for 4g that I know of.

I used speedtest.net to determine my download speeds. I run 5 runs, and average them out. The best way to do this is to place the device on a stable service and dont touch it, other than to run the tests. Tell us what you get.

But as far as what it reports -- 4g or LTE -- thats really not that important. Who are you under contract with, just curious? T-mobile often showed me 4g, rather than LTE. But verizon and ATT have exclusively used LTE as their designation.

And before anyone chimes in and "educates" me on 4g and LTE... don't. I know the difference. I understand it quite well, in fact. My point is that even if you show 5g on your phone, but you're pulling 25mbps... a 4g connection may pull 125-150mbps. Which would you prefer? The designation, or the actual speeds?
    Europe doesn't use the LTE term. I get your point but not what I was looking for.
    Thanks either way! 👍

KrewsialNL

Jun 9, 2010
    Bucharest, Romania
    Code:
    In folder:
    Code:
    Add this line:
    Code:
    Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Code:
      In folder:
      Code:
      Add this line:
      Code:
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone