Lumia 800 7.8 update warning- brings volume restriction!

Search This thread

flowerpoweruk

Jun 14, 2012
I've upgraded my Lumia 800 to 7.8 (Euro) and its brought with it the most ridiculous volume restriction.

So, if you enjoy hearing your music avoid this at all costs.

If anyone knows how to disable the retarded volume restriction please share it.

** note **

*** you can still go up to level 30 for the volume but this does not mean you get the same volume as you did pre-7.8 update ***

Last edited:

voluptuary

Dec 29, 2010
Mukwonago
Some of the new firmwares have a package in /OEM called NOKIA_RM801_VolumeLimit, it's just a few registry keys. If you are building a ROM for yourself I suggest you remove it.
Code:
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\OEM\VolumeLimit]
   "EnableVolumeLimit"=dword:1
   "VolumeLimit"=dword:0D
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Qualcomm\AudioToneUtility]
   "DTMFVolume"=dword:FFFFF830  ;-2000

FunkTrooper

Nov 30, 2009
So it's not just me. I noticed thins too -- I can barely hear anything in podcasts anymore.

I wonder if this is an EU volume limit regulation thing. I went from a non-country specific ROM to the Swiss rom. (Yeah I know Switzerland's not in the EU but...well I dunno.)

The non country specific 7.8 ROM isn't out yet, but maybe the Indian ROM doesn't have this limit.

voluptuary: Before i wipe my phone again, are you aware of any 7.8 rom without this restriction? I can't do a custom rom as i have a phone with the locked bootloader.

Edit: btw, you still see 30 / 30 volume on screen, it's just that everything is much quieter.

Last edited:

voluptuary

Dec 29, 2010
Mukwonago
I am not sure, an easy way to find out would be to install OSBuider then just open the rom you are looking at and check to see if it has that package. I would guess some of the non-euro ones would be the best place to look.

So it's not just me. I noticed thins too -- I can barely hear anything in podcasts anymore.

I wonder if this is an EU volume limit regulation thing. I went from a non-country specific ROM to the Swiss rom. (Yeah I know Switzerland's not in the EU but...well I dunno.)

The non country specific 7.8 ROM isn't out yet, but maybe the Indian ROM doesn't have this limit.

voluptuary: Before i wipe my phone again, are you aware of any 7.8 rom without this restriction? I can't do a custom rom as i have a phone with the locked bootloader.

Edit: btw, you still see 30 / 30 volume on screen, it's just that everything is much quieter.

FunkTrooper

Nov 30, 2009
I am not sure, an easy way to find out would be to install OSBuider then just open the rom you are looking at and check to see if it has that package. I would guess some of the non-euro ones would be the best place to look.

Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but how do you open the .esco firmware files with OS builder. I can extract them with a zip program, but then you just get a .img file that nothing seems to be able to open.

Any hints to point me in the right direction here? :)

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

So I tried the Indian ROM (059L975) and it's just as bad as the Swiss one -- the volume is *really* low, even at 30 / 30.

Does anyone know if it's possible to downgrade? Nokia Care Suite doesn't appear to allow it :'(

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

Ok, recovery mode instead of refurbish mode lets you downgrade. Well, I guess I'm back to where I started. At least I'm not stuck with a phone so quiet I can't use.

voluptuary

Dec 29, 2010
Mukwonago
Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but how do you open the .esco firmware files with OS builder. I can extract them with a zip program, but then you just get a .img file that nothing seems to be able to open.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

So I tried the Indian ROM (059L975) and it's just as bad as the Swiss one -- the volume is *really* low, even at 30 / 30.

Does anyone know if it's possible to downgrade? Nokia Care Suite doesn't appear to allow it :'(

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

Ok, recovery mode instead of refurbish mode lets you downgrade. Well, I guess I'm back to where I started. At least I'm not stuck with a phone so quiet I can't use.
You open up OSBuilder then in the upper right corner there is a little thing you need to switch to dump mode. Then click on file in the upper left and then 'open file' then change the file type to .esco. then check to see if the package is listed.

flowerpoweruk

Jun 14, 2012
I can confirm it's the same with the Lebannon version of 7.8

So at the moment it's looking like they all have this volume restriction thing.

Also, am I right in thinking that you can only edit the rom if you have the Qualcomm bootloader?

rohitsingh05

Mar 20, 2012
Gurgaon

I have the Indian Rom installed as well. While i agree that the phone gave me a warning the first time I increased the volume above 13, and that it does reset the volume to 13 on restarting the phone. I can see no difference in the volume levels otherwise. To me, at 30, it sounds as loud as it was with v7.5. I realise the problem could be with my phone as well, but considering that its sounding sufficiently loud, are you sure the problem isnt with your phone's hardware?

trinits

Jan 8, 2011
Paris
I have the Indian Rom installed as well. While i agree that the phone gave me a warning the first time I increased the volume above 13, and that it does reset the volume to 13 on restarting the phone. I can see no difference in the volume levels otherwise. To me, at 30, it sounds as loud as it was with v7.5. I realise the problem could be with my phone as well, but considering that its sounding sufficiently loud, are you sure the problem isnt with your phone's hardware?

I agree, I use my phone everyday with a Philips SHB9000 and I truly don't hear any difference

FunkTrooper

Nov 30, 2009
Thanks for the tip Voluptuary, I figured it out.

I opened up the Indian ROM (059L975) and found the VolumeLimit package you found earlier. I can confirm it's the same as the previously posted one:

Code:
REGEDIT4

So the Indian ROM definitely does contain the volume limit. :'(

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

I just opened up Norwegian and Tunisian ROMs, and they have the volume limit too.

What is an owner of a DLOAD phone to do? Does this mean... I can *never* use 7.8 on my phone? *gasp*

flowerpoweruk

Jun 14, 2012
Thanks for the tip Voluptuary, I figured it out.

I opened up the Indian ROM (059L975) and found the VolumeLimit package you found earlier. I can confirm it's the same as the previously posted one:

Code:
REGEDIT4

So the Indian ROM definitely does contain the volume limit. :'(

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

I just opened up Norwegian and Tunisian ROMs, and they have the volume limit too.

What is an owner of a DLOAD phone to do? Does this mean... I can *never* use 7.8 on my phone? *gasp*

thanks for looking in to that

the only thing to do unfortunately is to go back to 7.5

FunkTrooper

Nov 30, 2009
In an act of desperation, I tried downloading newly-released ROMs for the United Arab Emirates and the Commonwealth of Independent States. Tragically, if completely unsurprisingly, these both have the volume limit in place too. :'(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is this volumerestriction BUG only for headphones or also the speakers?

Headphones only, but im not sure since I don't reqllyhear much from loudspeaker, so it can be also applied on loudspeaker. Btw its a feature, not really a bug. Some countries do have restriction for audio volume as a precaution required by department of health.
    GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

I updated my Lumia 800 using the Cab trick documented in this thread. This allowed me to install the 7.8 OS update from Microsoft, without the Nokia OEM update which includes the volume limiter.

So now I have 7.8, but I still have full audio volume. :)