[LWP][7.0+] Metropolis 3D City Live Wallpaper (similar to Google Pixel & Xiaomi LWP)

Search This thread
Oct 2, 2017
fincher.im
[LWP][7.0+] Metropolis 3D City Live Wallpaper (similar to Google Pixel & Xiaomi LWP)

r3WggjT.jpg

Metropolis 3D City Live Wallpaper
Introduction
Metropolis is a live wallpaper that streams urban, drone-scanned 3D scenes onto your home screen. It currently has 100+ 3D locations in North America and Europe, including:
  • The Empire State Building
  • The Statue of Liberty
  • Paris Las Vegas
  • Bordeaux Cathedral
  • and more
All these scenes are fully 3D like the ones in Pixel Live Wallpaper from Google. If you like Pixel LWP or Super Wallpaper, then Metropolis would be a good alternative for you :) Here is a trailer for Metropolis:
Features
  • 100+ 3D locations (actually 147 now, a complete list can be found on getmetro.app/collection)
  • Camera animations, including phone unlock top-down animation and launcher page swipe rotate animation, as well as the scale and speed slider for animations
  • Camera parameters, including dolly zoom (adjustable field of view), brightness, vibrancy, and sharpness
  • (Pro only) Custom location in North America and Europe
  • (Pro only) Wallpaper brightness can follow dark mode
  • (Pro only) Blur after unlock to increase the readability of labels & icons

Download & Giveaway
Google Play Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.justzht.metropolis
Or just search Metropolis on Google Play

I would like to share 50 Pro IAP codes on XDA, there is no requirement, just open the spreadsheet, redeem the code, and try all features.
However, if you can leave a comment specifying which code you used, or leave a feedback/rate on Google Play, it would be much appreciated. Link (Used: 50/50):
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yP-vaj6Sg-UbNJk-4Tigk1UyPLOgAbk8CZ6E20gy8fk/edit?usp=sharing

Performance Concerns
Here is the catch: Metropolis is built with Unity. Yes, that Unity game engine.
Now, before you close this page immediately thinking that's crazy, please read my explanation on why using Unity (might get technical):
Currently, the only 3D city model data source that I, as an indie app dev, can get on the market is the Bing Maps Unity SDK. This Unity SDK shares the same upstream data source with Windows 10 Map app and the incoming Microsoft Flight Simulator (well that is just a speculation). That's the main reason I am using Unity to build Metropolis. (I know there is Google Earth but I cannot rip the model due to copyright issues)
I certainly understand your concerns that Unity might destroy your battery life and available memory, and Metropolis does have a relatively high memory usage in current stages. This is mainly due to the SDK's streaming approach. Unlike Pixel LWP or Super Wallpaper in which the data is already baked into a static scene, Metropolis streams city blocks tile by tile, which comes with additional memory cost and draw-calls.
However, the battery cost should be on par with most 3D live wallpapers, especially if you enable the 'adaptive framerate' option in the app. And I will continue optimizing the app with newer Bing Maps SDK that is more memory-friendly. After all, you can always download the app for free and try it yourself.
(BTW, a fun fact: Xiaomi's Super Wallpaper is also Unity inside)

Contact
If you have issues using Metropolis, please let me know using Google Play feedback or writing to [email protected]

Last edited:

TermoZour

Nov 13, 2014
Arad, Romania
Claimed code 35 - the app is awesome! I've been looking for 3D views like this with animations since forever! Great job. Looking forward to making that Super Earth View more stable!

Robdyx

Jun 15, 2010
Llangréu
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hi! I am checking the codes on the spreadsheet one by one to see if they are really all redeemed. In the meanwhile, you can wait for another batch at the comment section of the XDA main blog post, thanks! :)

It's a shame I came late, I'll keep an eye on tomorrow's batch, thank you for giving away those! I was hoping someone would come out with a "customizable version" of Super Wallpapers, so thank you very much there!

I'm already trying the free version and, though I'm aware this is in a Rushed Beta™ and you may be already working on it, I wanted to leave here my 2cnts:

• The initial "zoom in from Earth full view to rotation side" effect is so dramatic (and beautiful) in the SW, maybe you should take a look at that and tweak it a little bit. I especially love how it spins faster while zooming in for the original SW.
  • The "zoom in the selected area" could use some kind of fade to black or extreme motion blur in between, taking like half a second, otherwise it feels so forced especially using low dolly zoom (because setting it too big shows the grid and that's even worse).

Hope you keep improving this awesome app! Take care and stay safe.

Oct 2, 2017
fincher.im
It's a shame I came late, I'll keep an eye on tomorrow's batch, thank you for giving away those! I was hoping someone would come out with a "customizable version" of Super Wallpapers, so thank you very much there!

I'm already trying the free version and, though I'm aware this is in a Rushed Beta™ and you may be already working on it, I wanted to leave here my 2cnts:

• The initial "zoom in from Earth full view to rotation side" effect is so dramatic (and beautiful) in the SW, maybe you should take a look at that and tweak it a little bit. I especially love how it spins faster while zooming in for the original SW.
  • The "zoom in the selected area" could use some kind of fade to black or extreme motion blur in between, taking like half a second, otherwise it feels so forced especially using low dolly zoom (because setting it too big shows the grid and that's even worse).

Hope you keep improving this awesome app! Take care and stay safe.

Thanks for the feedback! The original SW is surely a more mature package with many visual details I only realized when I got my hands on it.
  • As the original SW has special permissions granted from MIUI, it can show the full-earth view when in AOD. (The AOD permission was previously available to 3rd-party apps on Android P, but in Q it was blocked by the system). Metropolis cannot display in AOD due to this restriction, however, I would be happy to add a toggle to show the far side view at the beginning of unlocking animation, just like what linuxct's SW port did.
  • Yes I forgot to consider the case of dolly zoom in top-down animations (facepalm) and this would be fixed in future releases. I am still analyzing the original SW animation frame by frame, and from what I currently know in order to achieve a similar effect I might need to both increase the scale of motion blur and the resolution of earth texture so people won't see pixelated images at the end of the animation. Hmm I am still experimenting around this and will get back to you when I have made some progress so you can try out.
Have a good day and stay safe!

anaswahid

Dec 6, 2015

Introduction
Metropolis is a live wallpaper that streams urban, drone-scanned 3D scenes onto your home screen. It currently has 100+ 3D locations in North America and Europe, including:
The Empire State Building
The Statue of Liberty
Paris Las Vegas
Bordeaux Cathedral
and more

All these scenes are fully 3D like the ones in Pixel Live Wallpaper from Google. If you like Pixel LWP or Super Wallpaper, then Metropolis would be a good alternative for you :) Here is a trailer for Metropolis:
Features
100+ 3D locations (actually 147 now, a complete list can be found on getmetro.app/collection)
Camera animations, including phone unlock top-down animation and launcher page swipe rotate animation, as well as the scale and speed slider for animations
Camera parameters, including dolly zoom (adjustable field of view), brightness, vibrancy, and sharpness
(Pro only) Custom location in North America and Europe
(Pro only) Wallpaper brightness can follow dark mode
(Pro only) Blur after unlock to increase the readability of labels & icons

Download & Giveaway
Google Play Link: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.justzht.metropolis

I would like to share 50 Pro IAP codes on XDA, there is no requirement, just open the spreadsheet, redeem the code, and try all features.
However, if you can leave a comment specifying which code you used, or leave a feedback/rate on Google Play, it would be much appreciated. Link (Used: 46/50):
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yP-vaj6Sg-UbNJk-4Tigk1UyPLOgAbk8CZ6E20gy8fk/edit?usp=sharing

Performance Concerns
Now, before you close this page immediately thinking that's crazy, please read my explanation on why using Unity (might get technical):
Currently, the only 3D city model data source that I, as an indie app dev, can get on the market is the Bing Maps Unity SDK. This Unity SDK shares the same upstream data source with Windows 10 Map app and the incoming Microsoft Flight Simulator (well that is just a speculation). That's the main reason I am using Unity to build Metropolis. (I know there is Google Earth but I cannot rip the model due to copyright issues)
I certainly understand your concerns that Unity might destroy your battery life and available memory, and Metropolis does have a relatively high memory usage in current stages. This is mainly due to the SDK's streaming approach. Unlike Pixel LWP or Super Wallpaper in which the data is already baked into a static scene, Metropolis streams city blocks tile by tile, which comes with additional memory cost and draw-calls.
However, the battery cost should be on par with most 3D live wallpapers, especially if you enable the 'adaptive framerate' option in the app. And I will continue optimizing the app with newer Bing Maps SDK that is more memory-friendly. After all, you can always download the app for free and try it yourself.

Contact
If you have issues using Metropolis, please let me know using Google Play feedback or writing to [email protected]

Like the live wallpaper app
Could use some free codes...???

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

Will look nice on my phone

freegame619

Aug 16, 2010
All codes are gone being using the free version for about two weeks now, battery drain seems to be okay at least for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

r3WggjT.jpg

Introduction
    • The Empire State Building
    • The Statue of Liberty
    • Paris Las Vegas
    • Bordeaux Cathedral
    • and more
    Features
    • 100+ 3D locations (actually 147 now, a complete list can be found on getmetro.app/collection)
    • Camera animations, including phone unlock top-down animation and launcher page swipe rotate animation, as well as the scale and speed slider for animations
    • Camera parameters, including dolly zoom (adjustable field of view), brightness, vibrancy, and sharpness
    • (Pro only) Custom location in North America and Europe
    • (Pro only) Wallpaper brightness can follow dark mode
    • (Pro only) Blur after unlock to increase the readability of labels & icons

Download & Giveaway
    Google Play Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.justzht.metropolis

However, if you can leave a comment specifying which code you used, or leave a feedback/rate on Google Play, it would be much appreciated. Link (Used: 50/50):

Performance Concerns

Contact
    Changelog

Reserved for changelog

1.0.0.4 (3062) REL is now in the beta channel

Added:
    • Super Wallpaper-like animations (unstable)
    Fixed:
    • Bug fixes from upstream

Super Wallpaper-like animation demo gif:
    NXUsr7B.gif
    thanks it looks good will try:fingers-crossed:

Hi! I am checking the codes on the spreadsheet one by one to see if they are really all redeemed. In the meanwhile, you can wait for another batch at the comment section of the XDA main blog post, thanks! :)
    @OP

Didn't get any "Unlock Codes" but thanks for this, really nice!

Thanks for the kind words! Check your dm later ;)