M for crespo (all works, sources, etc)

sigibian

Jan 9, 2012
thanks, Nexus S it's still my actual phone, if all works with this new ROM maybe im really tempted to try.
Actually i have Jellyshot with Marmite kernel and except the battery drain with 3g data and the limited storage i haven't any lag problems.

dmitrygr

Dec 15, 2010
I forgot to mention this. You need to flash my recovery, at least for first boot. TWRP will not format /media as ext4 if it sees it already formatted as fat32.

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Marshmallow alone seem to work well, however the Nexus S becomes so slow it's entirely unusable after adding flashed some minimal google apps package.
After taking a very long time to add an account, I have been unable to successfully install an application from the Play Store.

Do you know which minimalistic gapps package would function well here?
After all, although it's not crazy fast, the play store works plenty on stock 4.1.2.

dmitrygr

Dec 15, 2010
Due to my employment situation, i am not going to point you to any Gapps package, but i am happy to point out, that after you install gapps, wait a while (few hours) to let device finish background tasks) it will act a lot better

i was able to install chrome and gps test and a few other apps from store no issues

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Due to my employment situation, i am not going to point you to any Gapps package, but i am happy to point out, that after you install gapps, wait a while (few hours) to let device finish background tasks) it will act a lot better

i was able to install chrome and gps test and a few other apps from store no issues
Yes of course.
I tried a few more gapps variants:
- with the open gapps pico you can download today it fails to boot
- with older gapps pico it fails to go through the initial setup after entering the Wi-fi credentials (ANRs in logcat, mentions of GCM setup failure)

The most sort of working solution I had - still unusable in result, initially was with a package made for M on the Nexus 4, editing the install script to force the install (despite a failed disk free test)
If anyone (well, anyone else) has a working solution please share :)

Setting.Out

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 10, 2013
Sèvres
Yes of course.
I tried a few more gapps variants:
- with the open gapps pico you can download today it fails to boot
- with older gapps pico it fails to go through the initial setup after entering the Wi-fi credentials (ANRs in logcat, mentions of GCM setup failure)

The most sort of working solution I had - still unusable in result, initially was with a package made for M on the Nexus 4, editing the install script to force the install (despite a failed disk free test)
If anyone (well, anyone else) has a working solution please share :)
I run an OnePlus, so take this with a grain of salt, but Slim gapps works well for me.. Worth a try.. :)

Reactions: supercurio

Si_NZ

Jan 6, 2011
Auckland
I was also troubled by the space issue. I even started thinking about resizing the partition, but I was puzzled why fdisk returns only one partition from mmcblk0 but the OS still manages to see and mount all 3 partitons. I think the easiest way out would be adjusting the partitons.

Setting.Out

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 10, 2013
Sèvres
Unfortunately those are too big (even the zero option), there's only 152.2M free on the /system partition.
A zero gapps is smaller than 152mb?.. If you unzip it, remove all but play services and install the rest like normal apps you should be down to like 30mb or less...

Once booted and rooted, remove apps like tts and wallpapers ect and then try gapps.. As another thought..