• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

M2D Email Transparency 1.2 [cab] {Updated Dec 4, 08}

Search This thread

peterfnet

Oct 18, 2007
Caprica
Current Update {December 4, 2008}:
Version 1.2
Includes an email icon that will not cover up the email preview. Install over version 1.0. It will prompt you to uninstall. It will then tell you that it cannot be uninstalled. I set these cabs as not-uninstallable since I do not backup the original PNG files. Proceed through install. Enjoy! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to biscuits1978 for helping me test this.
Thanks to Laurentius26 for building some damn sweet ROMs.

** Glad people are liking it. This has received more coverage than I thought in other forums. Let me know if you're including this in your ROM so I can post a link back**

Introduction:
In Manila 2D, on the email tab, there is a huge email overlay icon that sits on top of previewed email messages. Nasty! Run attached cab, reboot when prompted, tada!

Note: it only prompts to reboot if the file is in use. If you shutdown M2D, run the cab, launch M2D, you will save yourself a soft reset.

View attachment 2765165
View attachment 2765164
peterfnet-m2d-emailtrans-1.2.png

Specifics:
Only has been tested on the L26_KaiserTouch_V1_M2D ROM. M2D uses images primarily from the \windows\ directory (see below). If you need it to extract elsewhere or have problems, let me know.

The nerd behind it all.
Cab replaces 3 PNG files in the "\windows\" directory
hh_email_background.png - cleaned up edges
hh_email_envelope_down.png -transparent
hh_email_envelope_up.png - transparent

Change Log:
October 17, 2008 Afternoon "if you want version 1.2 listed a few posts down, wait for the cab tonight"
October 17, 2008 Evening "version 1.2 released"
December 4, 2008 Uploaded zip file with raw components so people can use after Manila upgrade. This is a stopgap solution. I set the cab to no-uninstall. I'll do some research.

Last edited:

bugsykoosh

Jun 16, 2007
I appreciate what you've done but it does look a little naked. Do you know how to make the envelope angle less so the envelope is just shorter/covers less? Don't worry- I'm keeping it anyway- I like the extra real estate:)

peterfnet

Oct 18, 2007
Caprica
I appreciate what you've done but it does look a little naked. Do you know how to make the envelope angle less so the envelope is just shorter/covers less? Don't worry- I'm keeping it anyway- I like the extra real estate:)

Definitely possible. We can see where the last line it will show in the preview is. I'd shoot for keeping the image below there. I'll mess around with it.

typo

Jul 2, 2006
Very nice idea, glad to see it! I still find the M2D email viewer pretty darn weak, but this is an improvement! Thanks.

peterfnet

Oct 18, 2007
Caprica
*********************DEPRECATED***************** see ver1.2 below
peterfnet-m2d-emailtrans-1.1.png

*********************DEPRECATED***************** see ver1.2 below

What do you guys thing of version 1.1? I'm not an expert graphics guy, but I was shooting for the best of both worlds.

My only concern is the top rim of the email graphic: the slope from the bottom of the opening to the top is pretty low (only a few pixels high). So it is possible to see each pixel going up the slope.

Comments are welcomed as always. If you like it, I'll cab it up tonight, or we can make some changes.

edit: see ver1.2 below (better quality and position)

Last edited:

peterfnet

Oct 18, 2007
Caprica
peterfnet-m2d-emailtrans-1.2.png

And here we have version 1.2. I think it looks much better than 1.1 as the slope pixelation is gone, and the name of the email box is no longer covered up. Once again, if there aren't any objections before tonight, I'll cab her up.

Last edited:

User1977

Oct 22, 2008
I don't see any email preview, there is only a hint: "Click to view message" instead of the preview. It doesn't matter if I install your patch or not.

User1977

Oct 22, 2008
This one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=2704275&postcount=207
Perhaps the Manilla Version is outdated and thats the reason for the bug. In settings widget you can read: "TouchFlo 1.0.1819.2926". Is this the final version or exists a newer one? Which version do you have? Yesterday I tried to install update 21 form this page: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=398173, but there was an error saying that I don't have the necessary rights to install this. Of course I closed Manilla before installing. Perhaps I can't install a newer version, because my version is integrated into the ROM?

peterfnet

Oct 18, 2007
Caprica
This one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=2704275&postcount=207
Perhaps the Manilla Version is outdated and thats the reason for the bug. In settings widget you can read: "TouchFlo 1.0.1819.2926". Is this the final version or exists a newer one? Which version do you have? Yesterday I tried to install update 21 form this page: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=398173, but there was an error saying that I don't have the necessary rights to install this. Of course I closed Manilla before installing. Perhaps I can't install a newer version, because my version is integrated into the ROM?

Don't know what to tell you. Sounds like a problem with your ROM. I'd consult your ROM's thread.

Dr4g0n75

Mar 6, 2008
Raleigh
possible to get this in zip format?

i had this installed then updated manilla which reset the graphcs... i tried to reinstall the cab but it says unsuccesful... anyway to uninstall so i can reinstall?

or if i had the zip i could just overwrite... thanks