M5 8.4 brightness problems *added chat transcript with Huawei*

Search This thread
I have two devices, the problem is the same on both: when adjusting brightness slider, there is a sudden jump in brightness past a certain point: close to the white area. Right up to that point the screen is not bright enough of course. It will not adjust to a happy medium.
This sucks. The thing is not a joy to use. Tried a 3rd party dimming slider and that did no good.
Root not an option. Power genie can't be disabled. (greyed out)
Could really use some ideas here.

Thanks a lot!
Rich

Chat:

Rich 08:41:48 am

I have two m5 8.4's. Having trouble with brightness slider...

Ivan G 08:41:59 am

Hi! This is Ivan. ?

Receive a warm welcome to our live chat!
I see.
What kind of issues, Rich?

Rich 08:43:31 am

ok, here's what happens: brightness is not linear. At a certain point, it jumps to a much higher brightness suddenly. There is no middle ground.
Everything is updated btw.

Ivan G 08:44:10 am

Thanks for all the details, Rich.
I will definitely do my best to help you in providing you the correct information about your brightness inquiries for your MediaPad M5.

Rich 08:46:49 am

It suddenly jumps when the slider is at the white area. Of course the brightness isn't enough at the point where it jumps. Auto brightness is disabled btw.

Ivan G 08:47:06 am

I appreciate all the information, Rich.
Let's try the following.
I would recommend you to perform a Wipe cache partition in order to get rid of trash files and glitches on your device.

Rich 08:47:44 am

Hang on

Ivan G 08:47:48 am

Sure thing.
Let me give you the steps.
-Turn off the device.
-Press and hold the UP VOLUME + POWER buttons at the same time. Once you see the logo screen wait three seconds and release the buttons.
-Use the Volume Down button to scroll to Wipe cache partition.
-Press the Power button to select it.
-Once the device completes the cache wipe. Use the Volume Up button to scroll to Reboot system now.
-Press the Power button to select it.
*Your device will restart.

Do not worry, this process will not erase your personal information or applications.
If you are using your device to chat with us right now, you will eventually lose connection.

Rich 08:49:54 am

using enother device.
rebooting..

Ivan G 08:50:04 am

Perfect.
Please let me know if the issue persist, Rich.

Rich 08:52:52 am

it works after i reboot anyway but it always comes back. it's ok now but im not holding my breath.

Ivan G 08:53:45 am

Don't worry, Rich. If the issue remains unsolved you can contact us back and we will find another option.

Rich 08:56:56 am

Other thing is the screen dpi. In developer options the smallest size is 627. I set it at 800 and that's a perfect number. Otherwise the default dpi makes the tablet cartoonish like a kid's device. Trouble is, the setting wont survive a reboot. Any way to change that without rooting?

Ivan G 08:58:28 am

Excellent question. As you may know, it is not recommended to reboot your device due to the fact that you can experience malfunctions in the future.

Rich 09:00:44 am

Awww.. I dont worry about that. I'm very experienced with Android. I've burned custom roms in older devices, rooted, hacked. ?

Ivan G 09:01:11 am

Oh, I see.
That is good to know!

Rich 09:02:24 am

That said, Im not messing with this one. It's perfect except for these issues. Just wanna have the dpi survive reboot. Only reason I root anyway is for adblocking.

Ivan G 09:03:30 am

Not to worry, the wipe cache partition and reset your general settings are excellent troubleshooting steps for your amazing MediaPad M5.

Rich 09:06:08 am

Im appreciative of you... you guys build *really* nice stuff. 'bout time a really good 8 incher was released. Everything else out there is junk except samsung! You did a great job. One more thing... is the m5 gonna get emui 9? (u. s.)

Ivan G 09:06:26 am

We really appreciate your continuous support and preference for our products. Remember that Huawei always gives our customers the best of the best in quality and performance.
Another excellent question, Rich.
I will gladly provide you with such details in a moment.
To do so, I will need your serial number and your build number, please.

Rich 09:07:21 am

stand by

Ivan G 09:07:27 am

Please, take your time.
You can find that number on your original box as ''S/N'' or under: Settings > System > About the device > Status > Serial Number.
Build number: Open Settings >Touch System > About device to see your model number, Build number and Android version.

Rich 09:09:09 am

serial <snip>

Ivan G 09:09:23 am

Thank you very much.

Rich 09:09:51 am

build sht-w09 8.0.0.198(c567)

Ivan G 09:10:06 am

Got it.
Can you allow me two minutes to check the information available for you?

Rich 09:10:26 am

Sure.

Ivan G 09:10:32 am

Appreciate it.
While I'm checking this information, please do not forget to give a look to our website. We have much information that could be helpful for you: https://consumer.huawei.com/us/

Also, you can send this chat to your email clicking on the "envelope" icon.

Rich 09:10:48 am

nice!

Ivan G 09:11:11 am

That said, I'll be back in a flash, Rich.
Thank you so much for patiently waiting.
I already verified the update plan for your MediaPad M5. It seems that you are using the latest version for this device in specific which is 8.0.
At the moment, we don't have any official information about a further update for the MediaPad M5, Rich.
But don't worry, I kindly invite you to stay tuned in our official channels for updates.

https://www.facebook.com/HuaweimobileUS/
https://twitter.com/HuaweiDeviceUSA/
We will let you know whenever an update is rolling out for your device in the future.
You will be receiving security patches as well.
For further details, visit this link:

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/bulletin/

Rich 09:16:40 am

Sounds good. Very much appreciate your help on this. Anything persists with the brightness I'll be in touch. Will you have a record of the chat to refer back to?

The rest was have a nice day etc.

Nice guy and very patient. No hold time at all when chatting. I'm putting this up hoping it helps someone here.

Last edited: