[M8s] Is rooting of stock HTC Marshmallow already possible?

Search This thread

bilal.fanatic

Dec 26, 2011
Karachi
I could uninstall many bloatware with TWRP. I think that we will not need the S-Off completely?
I will be waiting the news about your experience. :)

Well I was expecting a proper root solution but this looks like a system-less root. Anyways I'm glad development is still going on and people are kind enough to share and help each other. :good:
And yes I was able to delete the bloatware through twrp too so thanks alot for that.

Last edited:

bilal.fanatic

Dec 26, 2011
Karachi
Hi Bilal, can you explain me the downside of a system-less root? Because you call it non proper :).

Well for starters it doesn't let the root apps work properly. For example i wasn't able to install the ad away binaries although it detected there was root. Likewise I was unable to install busybox. It's basically apparent root meaning it just shows root status available to roms but system modifications are restricted. But if there is some way to over come this problem do let me know. ;)

Thijs_Rallye

Mar 25, 2016
Well for starters it doesn't let the root apps work properly. For example i wasn't able to install the ad away binaries although it detected there was root. Likewise I was unable to install busybox. It's basically apparent root meaning it just shows root status available to roms but system modifications are restricted. But if there is some way to over come this problem do let me know. ;)

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I am currently still on Lollipop, but to be honest I can't mod system stuff. I can mod stuff but that leads to an immediate reboot and reverted changes. I can do mods from within the recovery though.

I am waiting for the same thing as you apparently :).

Monorafix

Mar 2, 2017
guys, i have htc one m8s and want to have just root, android 6.0.1 and htc sense 7.0 what i should do? can u explain it easily for me ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks for your answer @jeroen_13.

I still have a few additional questions before taking the plunge ;).

I've have TWRP nandroid images fail me in the past. This happened to me whilst following the (guide of el conkisator with TWRP 2.8.6.0. All worked fine from the start but then I botched something which led me having to reinstall the nandroid backup. Then I've noticed TWRP did not make a "perfect" backup since a lot of system stuff was damaged when the backup was restored. (no working bluetooth, partitions mangled etc) So I had to RUU again and reinstall from scratch, this time without flashing TWRP.

Anyway, long story, to recap my questions:

What version of TWRP should I use for this?
    What version of SuperSU will I need for flashing?
    What should I do with the backup, since I've noticed before a restore doesn't work on the M8s.

I know the HTC's are tricky due to their system partition protection.

Thanks and regards,

Thijs

I'm using TWRP twrp-2.8.7.1_CPTB-B1-m8ql.img
    https://basketbuild.com/devs/Captain_Throwback/One (M8S)/Recovery/archive

I've succesfully created and restored backups using this version of TWRP

As for the SU: http://www.supersuroot.com/download.html
    Okay, so if I understand the information you've posted correctly I will be using the "new" system less root then?

The information above is a bit confusing, so I hope I will not annoy you if I am asking stuff that is common knowledge for you. Should I install the zip from the TWRP recovery or shouldn't I install it? Should TWRP be flashed on the phone, or is booting it from the CLI enough? (htc_fastboot boot blablarecovery.img)

What I was (or am :p) planning to do is the following:
    Relock the bootloader
    Run the RUU for my phone
    Install OTA update 1 (libstagefright patch)
    Install OTA update 2 (Marshmallow 1/2)
    Install OTA uddate 3 (Marshmallow 2/2)
    Reset the whole phone again from stock recovery. (from what I've read that was advisable)
    The steps above should give me stock Marshmallow with HTC sense 7.
    The next steps are still a bit murky for me, but would be if I understand your information correctly:
    Unlock the bootloader again via HTCDev
    Flash TWRP (or just boot it, not fully clear to me yet)
    Install the SuperSU2.67 Beta via TWRP recovery.

Am I right or am I still missing things? I don't want to brick it.

Thanks once again.

The cmd for flashing the recovery is:
    Code:
    htc_fastboot flash recovery yourrecoverynamehere.img
    HTC One M8s does not support
    Code:
    fastboot boot recovery.img

After talking to a few M8s (Community) devs, they said that your best bet is to wait for CM13.

A ruu flashes ALL partitions.... so there is always a chance of hardbricking the phone
    As long as not necessary because of malfunction I would not flash a RUU

I'd go for CM12.1 if its really urgent, or else just wait a bit for CM13

Stock + Sense is ~1.5Gb and CM12.1 is just 500Mb.
    Hi Jeroen,

This is what I was afraid for. Since I want to keep the stock HTC sense UI, CM is not an option for me. My "issues" aren't urgent, it only is rather annoying not being able to install updates from the play store, or even being able to decide where the (*$@&!(*@!-apps store their data. Especially Facebook and Whatsapp, big data hoggers without an option to reallocate the storage area.

Anyway, just for my info but are you running an M8s yourself on Marsmallow (with root)?

As for you remark that HTC does not support booting a recovery image from a PC harddrive I have to disagree. I have done this several times already when I had to update the SuperSU binaries.

Running the RUU is (probably) necessary for me because TWRP mangled something in one of the partitions / flash memory, which removes the OS version which you can see in the fastboot menu. I've raised this issue in the El Conkistador topic as well. Even without installing TWRP recovery the version number is removed for some unknown reason.

Without that valid OS version number I am probably not able receive the OTA to Marshmallow, or at least, that is what I think. It fear it probably won't fulfill the checksum.

It's too bad there aren't too many people with an M8s (and similar plans :p) here on XDA.

As for your second to last post: do I have to flash the SuperSU beta zip or not?

Thanks once again.

Thijs

Edit:
    Captain Throwback on the disappearing of the OS version number.
    First and second root attempt

I'm not running a M8s with Marshmallow, but CM12.1

According to the devs I spoke to the M8s doesn't support "fastboot boot recovery.img", nor does it have S-OFF.
    And yes, you can just flash the SuperSu Beta .zip
    Hi Jeroen,

Hereby the output of htc_fastboot getvar all

Code:
    C:\adb>htc_fastboot getvar all
    (bootloader) version: 0.5
    (bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
    (bootloader) version-baseband: 1.0.U20410.1@50408
    (bootloader) version-cpld: None
    (bootloader) version-microp: None
    (bootloader) version-main:
    (bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
    (bootloader) serialno: xxx
    (bootloader) imei: xxx
    (bootloader) imei2: Not Support
    (bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
    (bootloader) product: m8ql_ul
    (bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8939
    (bootloader) modelid: 0PKV10000
    (bootloader) cidnum: T-MOB003
    (bootloader) battery-status: good
    (bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
    (bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
    (bootloader) security: on
    (bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
    (bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
    (bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 8e18db08
    (bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
    (bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
    (bootloader) mfg-name: 0001
    all: Done!
    Execution time is 29(ms)

C:\adb>

As you can see above my version-main has disappeared. This happened after booting into TWRP which I needed to do to flash the SuperSU zip. At my first attempt this happened as well, but then I had already flashed the recovery the way you've mentioned before. A few posts above this one I've posted links to when this happened to me and Captain Throwbacks comments on that.

If you want I can make a video of me booting into TWRP from HD. Because of your persistence that it isn't possible I've booted into my recovery because I was starting to doubt myself :p, but it was still stock ;).

Kind regards,

Thijs

Edit:
    Just to prove that I am not making this up, the videos :)
    Booting to the installed recovery with PWR + Vol Down
    https://youtu.be/EA8yYy7RRPU
    Booting TWRP from my harddrive
    https://youtu.be/vUuSEBeR9V8

My OS number is gone too, but that might be related due to the fact that I have CM12.1 installed.
    After checking the getvar all diffs, the only thing that is different is the "(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 1d456ef7"

Maybe because you have the stock recovery makes it possible to "fastboot boot recovery.img". Will speak to some devs about it and report back.

But why do you think that you will not receive the OTA because your version-main is gone? As far as I know, the updates are handled in Android itself.
    You are in the wrong forum ;). This is for the M8s, which is an entirely different phone ;).
    Ahh ok, Sorry about that. My mistake :eek:/