Magisk 16.4 with Pixel XL and OTA

Search This thread

niko26

May 5, 2010
Hi,

I am trying to install an OTA using Magisk and the method johnw has outlined. (start Magisk, uninstall and replacing the modded image/boot with the stock ones, then install the OTA, before it asks for a reboot and you reboot - install Magisk on the other boot slot.) this works up to the point where it reboots the phone - then it gets caught in a bootloop for about five times, and then a message appears that it couldn't install the OTA.

Has anyone been able to install the OTA using the outline method?

srynoname

Sep 20, 2012
Basically same Problem here with the non-XL Pixel 2. However after the I think 5 times boot loop I ended up in the Google Logo screen with the Progress bar. However after over 50 minutes it wasn't gone. Hard reset didn't help - stuck again at the same Situation. Will now reflash the phone.

Would be also interested in Feedback from others on how to install the OTA successfully.

sb1893

Apr 2, 2014
Basically same Problem here with the non-XL Pixel 2. However after the I think 5 times boot loop I ended up in the Google Logo screen with the Progress bar. However after over 50 minutes it wasn't gone. Hard reset didn't help - stuck again at the same Situation. Will now reflash the phone.

Would be also interested in Feedback from others on how to install the OTA successfully.

I have run into similar issues in the past. I wasn't sure if I was not getting the sequence of steps correct or not. In the end, I decided that the more straightforward and easiest method for me was just to flash the full factory update (removing the -w to preserve my data). Once upgraded to the latest release successfully, I just fastboot boot TWRP (don't install TWRP), then flash Magisk zip from there. This has worked for me the last several updates with no issues and the entire process takes less than 30 minutes. Perhaps not as elegant as the method recommended in this forum, but less moving parts and steps that can go wrong in my experience.

Good luck!

srynoname

Sep 20, 2012
I have run into similar issues in the past. I wasn't sure if I was not getting the sequence of steps correct or not. In the end, I decided that the more straightforward and easiest method for me was just to flash the full factory update (removing the -w to preserve my data). Once upgraded to the latest release successfully, I just fastboot boot TWRP (don't install TWRP), then flash Magisk zip from there. This has worked for me the last several updates with no issues and the entire process takes less than 30 minutes. Perhaps not as elegant as the method recommended in this forum, but less moving parts and steps that can go wrong in my experience.

Good luck!

Thanks for your feedback.

Here's another way that I just tested successfully:

E.g. for updating from April to May:

- Still being on April patch Level, patch boot.img from May using MagiskManager, transfer to Computer

- Boot into Bootloader. Flash stock boot Image from April

- Boot into the stock recovery and install the OTA, e.g. using adb sideload

- After the OTA is installed, select to boot into the Bootloader again

- In the Bootloader Flash the patched boot.img from May that was created in the first step

- Reboot phone and enjoy the May update ;)

@sb1893: I think your way is more comfortable though as one doesn't need to prepare a boot Image file.

niko26

May 5, 2010
@srynoname and @sb1893, thanks for the workarounds. I am doing what srynoname suggested, and while it works without any hiccups, I was really really hoping to be able to install either the OTA or a full factory image (without wiping the data) but with preserving magisks and root *without* having to connect my phone to a computer :(

So if you have any other ideas... :)

And to be honest... I am more than surprised that we're the only ones struggling with the update process.

Last edited: