Magisk 22.0 update killed phone will only boot into fastboot

Search This thread

Xdpker06

Dec 6, 2011
Is it possible for fastboot to get corrupted somehow? Tried on 2 different computers, same problem. Oneplus 3T gets recognized no problem with the fastboot devices command.

fullydeveloped

Jul 29, 2014
Is it possible for fastboot to get corrupted somehow? Tried on 2 different computers, same problem. Oneplus 3T gets recognized no problem with the fastboot devices command.
You should be able to hold the power + volume down buttons while powering on to boot into recovery mode. Hard to imagine a corrupted boot.img would break that functionality.

Xdpker06

Dec 6, 2011
You should be able to hold the power + volume down buttons while powering on to boot into recovery mode. Hard to imagine a corrupted boot.img would break that functionality.

Yeah, unfortunately it goes right into fastboot. Selecting the recovery option in fastboot also brings it right back into fastboot.

fullydeveloped

Jul 29, 2014
Yeah, unfortunately it goes right into fastboot. Selecting the recovery option in fastboot also brings it right back into fastboot.
It looks like power + volume down actually sends you to (most likely) fastboot, where they expect you to select recovery from there. Try power + volume up, or last option all 3 buttons. Obviously ensure you're holding them the entire time, from before the device powers off until it's fully on.

If OP7 doesn't have the hardware buttons available to enter recovery directly, that's indeed a huge oversight.

In the meantime keep scouring online for people with fastboot connecting to pc issues - there might be a solution out there.

Xdpker06

Dec 6, 2011
It looks like power + volume down actually sends you to (most likely) fastboot, where they expect you to select recovery from there. Try power + volume up, or last option all 3 buttons. Obviously ensure you're holding them the entire time, from before the device powers off until it's fully on.

If OP7 doesn't have the hardware buttons available to enter recovery directly, that's indeed a huge oversight.

In the meantime keep scouring online for people with fastboot connecting to pc issues - there might be a solution out there.

The 7 pro does have hardware buttons, but I tried different combinations, no joy. This morning the phone woke itself up and now I can't even turn it off. Selecting power off in the bootloader will just turn off the phone momentarily before the phone boots right back up into it.

Zincoshine

Dec 22, 2012
Had my phone not failed with the updated 22.0 manager I would have updated magisk itself as well and ended up with a brick. Holy crap I am so thankful to my phone right now. Time to make a backup.

DJBhardwaj

Recognized Contributor
Apr 23, 2011
Delhi
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot devices

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb devices
List of devices attached
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot reboot recovery
< waiting for any device >
Don't use Minimal ADB, it might be using outdated binaries of platform-tools.

Download the latest binaries from here and launch the command-line inside the working directory.

dynamo1950

Jan 8, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Experienced a similar issue with my Moto G Power XT2041-4 (sofia) after flashing the January update (QPMS30.80-63-6-8-5) a few days ago. Flashing the the Magisk v22.0 patched boot.img causes bootloop. Then flashed Magisk v21.4 patched boot.img results in bootloop as well. Flashing the stock boot.img from this update allows phone to boot normally but, of course, without root.

The phone worked fine with the November update (QPMS30.80-63-6-8-3) running Magisk v22.0. I updated from v21.4 to v22.0 using the Magisk app direct install while on this update.

I suspect there may be some changes in the new boot.img that conflict with the changes Magisk makes when patching it.

Any thoughts???

Last edited:

ineedroot69

Nov 13, 2019
After flashing the January update (QPMS30.80-63-6-8-5) to my Moto G Power XT2041-4 (sofia), Magisk v22.0 patched boot.img from this update causes bootloop showing the blue Android logo indefinitely. Then flashed Magisk v21.4 patched boot.img results in bootloop as well. Flashing the stock boot.img from this update allow phone to boot successfully.

The phone worked fine with the November update (QPMS30.80-63-6-8-3) running Magisk v22.0. I updated from Magisk v21.4 to v22.0 using direct install in the Magisk app successfully last month.

I suspect there may be some changes in the updated boot.img that conflict with the changes Magisk makes when patching the boot.img.

Any thoughts???
Flash stock boot.img

naveen_reloaded

May 15, 2010
Chennai
www.urssiva.com
Flash stock boot.img
I did and now twrp doesnt mount slot a or b..
also currently i tried to install twrp latest version (twrp-3.4.0-10-guacamole-) ,it installed on both slot a and slot b as per the messages/logs it showed , but when i boot into recovery its showing "twrp-3.4.0-09-guacamole" , one version older .. and its failing to load both slot a and b , so where is twrp booting from or into ?

Please help.. being without phone for past two days and its killing my day to day activity...

naveen_reloaded

May 15, 2010
Chennai
www.urssiva.com
Even tried to change slot using fastboot and trying to boot - its showing circle animation only. :(
The boot.img i flashed changed something ? or isnt showing the right path for twrp to boot properly ? twrp only boots into "unmodifid system partition" , from there i cant mount userdata / internal storage

dynamo1950

Jan 8, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Experienced a similar issue with my Moto G Power XT2041-4 (sofia) after flashing the January update (QPMS30.80-63-6-8-5) a few days ago. Flashing the the Magisk v22.0 patched boot.img causes bootloop. Then flashed Magisk v21.4 patched boot.img results in bootloop as well. Flashing the stock boot.img from this update allows phone to boot normally but, of course, without root.

The phone worked fine with the November update (QPMS30.80-63-6-8-3) running Magisk v22.0. I updated from v21.4 to v22.0 using the Magisk app direct install while on this update.

I suspect there may be some changes in the new boot.img that conflict with the changes Magisk makes when patching it.

Any thoughts???
------------------------------------
Anyway, I discovered the solution to my dilemma mentioned above by searching thru forums and Youtube. This may be helpful to those who have flashed the latest ROM update for their phone, then flashed the Magisk patched boot.img and now the phone is unable to boot to the OS.

It appears that the bootloop caused by flashing the 'Magisk_v22.0_Patched_boot.img' was due to installed Magisk modules. This is what worked for me:

1. Boot into TWRP from fastboot.
2. Using the File Manager in TWRP navigate to the '/data/adb/modules/' folder where the Magisk modules reside as folders. Delete all of them.
3. If Magisk is NOT installed then flash 'Magisk_v22.0_Patched_boot.img' as Boot or 'Magisk_v22.0.zip' in TWRP and boot phone to the OS.
4. Open the Magisk app to configure Magisk and install the Magisk modules.
5. Reboot.

The phone is now running the latest ROM, rooted with Magisk v22.0, passes safety net all without erasing user data...

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017
Mauritius
Let me add my update. I didn't read all the comments.
I came across the same situation. Now my phone works. It's mediatek. It also has a messed up usb connector pin. I thought my phone was bricked when I flashed Magisk with Twrp. I couldn't boot into recovery. I could only get into fastboot. I am not sure if the reason why I couldn't flash boot.img or recovery.img was because of the wonky usb connector. I even tried SP flash tool, but to no result. By then, it was hard bricked, compared to soft bricked when I flashed Magisk 22. I left my phone on the shelf for a few days.
I had read somewhere that if I open up my phone (in hard brick state) and do some tinkering, I could force it to boot. I went and bought a screwdriver set today. It was wasted money. I tried a last time to boot before opening the phone up. SP Tool detected my phone. I flashed the boot.img and recovery.img. It's fine now. I did some quick research for the uninstall file for Magisk and came across this thread.

naveen_reloaded

May 15, 2010
Chennai
www.urssiva.com
For those who are still searching for an answer .. Here

REMEMBER ONE THING ..

You should extract the boot.img file from the ROM which was used on the phone before bricking. In my case it was "Havoc-OS-v3.12-20201219-guacamole-Official-GApps"

Download payload extractor
Open your ROM zip file and extract payload.bin file
Copy this file into payload extractor "input" folder and run the extractor. It will extract the boot.img to "output" folder
now use this boot.img to flash . remember to place the boot.img file in android sdk folder or where your adb.exe and fastboot.exe is installed folder.

put phone into fastboot mode. If you cant , try "Tool All in One" tool , which might help you to put phone into fastboot mode/Bootloader , or from twrp reboot into bootloader.

After than connect phone to pc and run following commands. "better to start cmd inside the folder where adb , fastboot and boot.img is residing."
then run the following commands
Thanks to "D E E P" on TG for the following

Code:
fastboot flash boot_a boot.img

fastboot flash boot_b boot.img

fastboot reboot

When done properly , this will now boot into your OS and from there dont touch anything . Reboot into TWRP and follow instructions from here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...thout-losing-everything.4238147/post-84546903

Many thanks to @
ghost323
D E E P on TWRP TG group.

piekny

Dec 17, 2018
I am a total layman. Please help.
How to flash twrp.zip after booting the phone through

fastboot flash boot_a boot.img
fastboot flash boot_b boot.img
fastboot reboot

from the post above

Put fone in fastboot mode ?
What commands?

fastboot flash recovery xxx.img
and then
fastboot boot xxx.img
fastboot reboot ????

Maybe other commands. I'm totally lost. I will be grateful for any explanation.

Maybe this is good:

mon0theist

Dec 26, 2010
Aurora/Naperville, IL
invitetoislam.org
Have never had an issue went to update to latest Magisk app, followed directions and restored it first, everything seemed fine, then went to flash Magisk itself from the app (Direct install) like always, didn't seem to do anything, checked the Magisk log, said unknown image type and that it failed, rebooted phone, phone will now only reboot into fastboot mode. Not the quality I've been accustomed to and certainly does not belong in the stable branch. Now can someone please tell me what I should do to fix this hot mess?

Edit: Fixed boot with backup boot image. Included log of attempted but allegedly failed update.

Hey OP see my thread here:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Same thing on my OP7,

I can't go to recovery mode, only fastboot, and the phone isn't detected when i type 'adb devices'

Is there any way to get my data back?

First: When you're in fastboot-mode then use "fastboot devices". ;)

You don't need the recovery to solve your problem!

1. extract the "boot.img" from an existing original ROM on your PC
    2. use fastboot command to flash that original boot.img
    3. reboot to system - your phone will work well as before

You can root again, but use Magisk 21.4. There seems to be something buggy in version 22.0.

Version 22.0 worked properly with my Xiaomi Note 10 Pro (Android 10) but it didn't work with my Xiaomi Mi 10 Lite 5G (Android 11).
    Have never had an issue went to update to latest Magisk app, followed directions and restored it first, everything seemed fine, then went to flash Magisk itself from the app (Direct install) like always, didn't seem to do anything, checked the Magisk log, said unknown image type and that it failed, rebooted phone, phone will now only reboot into fastboot mode. Not the quality I've been accustomed to and certainly does not belong in the stable branch. Now can someone please tell me what I should do to fix this hot mess?

Edit: Fixed boot with backup boot image. Included log of attempted but allegedly failed update.
    Was able to restore boot image from TWRP. Here are what the logs said when I tried to update Magisk boot:

- Target image: /dev/block/sde1
    - Device platform: arm64-v8a
    - Installing: 22.0 (22000)
    Parsing boot image: [/dev/block/sde1
    - Unpacking boot image
    ! Unsupported/Unknown image format
    ! Installation failed
    Same thing on my OP7,

I can't go to recovery mode, only fastboot, and the phone isn't detected when i type 'adb devices'

Is there any way to get my data back?
    you need
    fastboot devices
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone