Magisk 24.1 downgrade: warning!

Search This thread

rampitec

May 18, 2013
This morning Magisk notified me about the update available (from 23.0 to 24.1). To cut the long story short, it was a complete failure and I was able to revert back to 23.0.

First upgrade went unsuccessful. Magisk stopped loading. Root was lost. Yet it has succeeded to write something into boot, so uninstalling app and reinstalling 23.0 didn't help. Reboot into patched BL didn't give 23.0 root permissions to patch the BL. I have succeeded to patch stock BL with 24.1 and boot into that, then install 24.1. This has root but fails safety net. Now you need to manually flash safetynet-fix-v2.2.0.zip because Magisk does not do magisk hide anymore. That is lost and module library is lost, plus safety net check tool is lost too. OK, with the fix it can pass the basic check, but for example Citi mobile app sees the root anyway. I have decided to downgrade to 23.0 because I only see a loss in functionality without any benefits.

Now you cannot patch BL with 23.0 if you have 24.1 there. You cannot do it if you flash stock BL but have traces of 24.1 app. The only thing which worked for me: in the functional 24.1 app select 'uninstall magisk', 'complete uninstall', then do root from start: install app 23.0, boot into patched with 23.0 BL, direct install from the app. Half a day is lost.

To prevent it from offering any further upgrade I went into app settings, selected custom update channel and pasted there a link to the 23.0 manifest from github. So long as the project is there that shall work.

Bottom line: beware magisk above 23.0!

unknow91

Nov 7, 2009
Bro , you got wrong, just upgraded magisk 24.1,

please read the changelogs of new version ....

https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases

Screenshot_20220129-111442.jpg
Screenshot_20220129-111612.jpg
Screenshot_20220129-111649.jpg

rampitec

May 18, 2013

View attachment 5522143View attachment 5522145View attachment 5522147
I was not happy with the whole experience and with the final result when it was finally working. If someone is like me here is the warning and the way to downgrade or prevent an upgrade.

Then an important thing to note: this is the point when the author went to the other side of the barricade, which is reflected in the changelog. From this point it will be a completely different app.

Last edited:

oopps24

Feb 26, 2016
OnePlus Nord CE 5G
So bad. Same Problem. Magisk Sygisk not working with XPosed. I need Xposed and Magisk Hide/Sygisk.
Thats a wrong change. Wjy they do that? Its so bad. It was wokring and in a new version not. Bad change in Magisk history.

little-endian

Aug 23, 2016
@rampitec:

You're my liberator after I spent hours with that crap. I wonder how you came up with the URL as I could only find the resolved host topjohnwu.github.io mentioned a Wireshark capture to see what the Magisk app tries to retrieve when the default "stable branch" is selected. Maybe I was overcomplicating things.

Anyway, while I might be missing something here in general, it is difficult not to indulge oneself in a rant because what kind of a retarded bullshit is that to remove a feature (whether being replaceable by that Zygisk stuff with yet again addition effort or not yet to be seen) which allows to get apps at least halfway running by hiding the fact of having root access (whereas the necessity also only arises thanks to moronic programming and nowadays pseudo-security paranoia, especially by insecure-by-definition banking apps on the very same device) with no damn easy way to downgrade again or at least select the version one wants. 😤

It is beyond comprehension why also that Magisk manager doesn't offer to simply select the version of preference in case a newer one breaks what was working before. God forbid, instead, even the version 23.0 apparently tries to load parts of the newer 24.1 one now which leads to (non-working) duplicates of the manager ("Magisk" & by default "Settings" then) instead of repackaging itself to only one instance of course.

It is annoying enough that regular application providers forces users into that constant having-to-update-crap but it is almost real life satire for me that even nominally sophisticated ones such as that John Wu Magisk guy* follows the same idiocy. 😡

* who owes me hours of my lifetime while I owe you at least a beer, rampitec!

MENINBLK

May 4, 2011
Yonkers, NY
Everyone needs to start posting their devices and if they are 64 bit ONLY or 64 bit and 32 bit capable because Magisk 24.1 does not support any device that supports 32 bit. If you subscribe to TopJohn Wu, on Twitter, you get notifications with explanations.

We can not understand why you get the results you have unless we know your device and OS and you need to know if your device is 64 bit ONLY, or 64 bit and 32 bit capable.

Pete R

rampitec

May 18, 2013
@rampitec:

You're my liberator after I spent hours with that crap. I wonder how you came up with the URL as I could only find the resolved host topjohnwu.github.io mentioned a Wireshark capture to see what the Magisk app tries to retrieve when the default "stable branch" is selected. Maybe I was overcomplicating things.
Not much of my work really. Found a link on youtube how to set the channel to some version. Go to github magisk repo, browse for needed version, select view file, select "raw", copy the URL of the page. This is the update channel.

ji-r47

Jun 19, 2014
Dhaka
Thank you! It worked for me. After going back to 23, I have changed the update channel url to 0.0.0.0, so there is no update at all. And it's back to normal again.

Reactions: rampitec

tolara

Sep 29, 2014
Application hiding process is done, thank you very much. I've been editing the 23.0 version with apktool m for hours. I couldn't think that only the url link would be the solution to get rid of the version upgrade, I was surprised and a very good idea came to my mind. I will integrate the url into the classes.dex file. The new version is a complete disgrace, too bad, don't install it. Tr to En Google Translate

RootPoG0

Dec 2, 2020
Have you ever seen that Magisk 23 recognizes the root but when update it gets N/A and the app doesn't work but SuperUser still get access. I tried to do trough Path Boot andZip Odin(S7 Edge Android 8.0)

I formatted the device, re-do Stock Rom but dont work.

the App 24, 24.1 or Canary keeps not working (N/A). Less than 8.0.7 work normally

I applied a custom with Android 10,11 and 12. It works
Screenshot_2022-01-28-19-09-42-122_com.anydesk.anydeskandroid.jpg

oopps24

Feb 26, 2016
OnePlus Nord CE 5G
You can patch boot.img over magisk 23.0 apk installer in android and flashed this patch_magisk_boot.img over fastboot / adb on pc. Magisk 23.0 is now work. Downgrade 24.1. Magisk Hide is back and edxposed works.(y)

RootPoG0

Dec 2, 2020
tI tried to do this, but the magisk 23 app doesn't allow me to patch without updating to 24.1 first..

pf100

Jul 13, 2021
...Half a day is lost...
To prevent it from offering any further upgrade I went into app settings, selected custom update channel and pasted there a link to the 23.0 manifest from github. So long as the project is there that shall work.

Thank you! I had a feeling something weird was going on and I was ignoring the update notification for a few days now. Good thing I did some digging before installing magisk 24.1.

lucasbda1

Sep 25, 2012
Itajubá - MG
Hello! I'm on a galaxy s9+ running android 10.
I didn't pay attention and clicked on update, and i regret it so much!
i am on magisk 24.1 with zygisk and ramdisk both set to "yes".
I have the uiversal safetynet fix v2.2.1 and google play services and play store hidden on the denylist
I can't pass safetynet, it fails on "basic integrity" and on "cts profile match"
so upset i updated!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This morning Magisk notified me about the update available (from 23.0 to 24.1). To cut the long story short, it was a complete failure and I was able to revert back to 23.0.

First upgrade went unsuccessful. Magisk stopped loading. Root was lost. Yet it has succeeded to write something into boot, so uninstalling app and reinstalling 23.0 didn't help. Reboot into patched BL didn't give 23.0 root permissions to patch the BL. I have succeeded to patch stock BL with 24.1 and boot into that, then install 24.1. This has root but fails safety net. Now you need to manually flash safetynet-fix-v2.2.0.zip because Magisk does not do magisk hide anymore. That is lost and module library is lost, plus safety net check tool is lost too. OK, with the fix it can pass the basic check, but for example Citi mobile app sees the root anyway. I have decided to downgrade to 23.0 because I only see a loss in functionality without any benefits.

Now you cannot patch BL with 23.0 if you have 24.1 there. You cannot do it if you flash stock BL but have traces of 24.1 app. The only thing which worked for me: in the functional 24.1 app select 'uninstall magisk', 'complete uninstall', then do root from start: install app 23.0, boot into patched with 23.0 BL, direct install from the app. Half a day is lost.

View attachment 5522143View attachment 5522145View attachment 5522147
    I was not happy with the whole experience and with the final result when it was finally working. If someone is like me here is the warning and the way to downgrade or prevent an upgrade.

Then an important thing to note: this is the point when the author went to the other side of the barricade, which is reflected in the changelog. From this point it will be a completely different app.
    @rampitec:

Not much of my work really. Found a link on youtube how to set the channel to some version. Go to github magisk repo, browse for needed version, select view file, select "raw", copy the URL of the page. This is the update channel.
    Like always, trying to get something done without any basic preparation, without getting informed first, believing that somehow magically everything will turn alright, unsurprisingly almost always leeds to these bitter experiences. The amount of available information on this topic is almost overwhelming, not to mention that, if instead of creating this post you would have done some research and posted your questions in the proper thread, someone would have jumped in and helped you right away, guaranteed! Yet you chose to blindly take the bull by the horns, hoping for the best.

Your failure has NOTHING to do with reality and EVERYTHING to do with your attitude.
    Really? First I made it working as I said. Then listen, app has notified "click to upgrade", without a warning of changes, when upgrade is impossible with just a click.