Magisk Canary + Pixel 4 XL + Android 11 = stuck at boot

Search This thread

Mother_Teresa

Jul 11, 2012
I just posted this in the Magisk topic but may help others here also. In my case a bootloop was simply fixed by using the option in twrp.img (3.4.0.1) to 'fix bootloop'. After a successful boot I flashed the Magisk debug (canary?) zip in recovery and the canary app after a reboot.

Using Pixel 2 XL.
Flashed 11 Ota over 10 and wipe -> normal boot.
Booted to twrp.img and caused bootloop. Fixed as described above.

Last edited:

delanvital

Mar 11, 2010
still not working, what am i doing wrong?

I think I fixed it!

I suspected it must be leftover Magisk modules rather than the boot image, since others here, like me, kept being stuck at boot, even when using a valid boot image from others.

I finally found this instruction from another post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83300241&postcount=10

Note that you have to do this from a prompt when the phone is IN the boot loop. I did this, while in a boot loop on the provided boot image in this thread, and the screen went black, and booted all the way in.

Last edited:

ChocoboX

Sep 6, 2010
still not working, what am i doing wrong?

Not sure if this makes a difference but I patched slot a and slot b. Although I can only boot from one.
My guess that it's better to get a new boot image file from the factory image then do the patch yourself.
Don't use the older one just in case.
As I said before you can download the APK for Magisk from
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/canary/app-debug.apk

Follow the pictures to switch channel to Canary Debug as the regular Canary for that version is broken. Then update the manager and install Magisk to Android 11 boot image rom for Pixel 4 XL

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200914-102622.png
    Screenshot_20200914-102622.png
    205.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot_20200914-102630.png
    Screenshot_20200914-102630.png
    142.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_20200914-102639.png
    Screenshot_20200914-102639.png
    145.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot_20200914-102647.png
    Screenshot_20200914-102647.png
    218.3 KB · Views: 104

chaim

Feb 11, 2008
OMG it works

I think I fixed it!

I suspected it must be leftover Magisk modules rather than the boot image, since others here, like me, kept being stuck at boot, even when using a valid boot image from others.

I finally found this instruction from another post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83300241&postcount=10

Note that you have to do this from a prompt when the phone is IN the boot loop. I did this, while in a boot loop on the provided boot image in this thread, and the screen went black, and booted all the way in.

thanks this fixed my issue

electric0ant

Feb 9, 2011
thanks for posting but for whatever reason this is not working for me.. sigh, totally forgot to uninstall my modules before flashing 11...
i can see my 4xl listed under adb devices. but the command seems to do nothing for me

electric0ant

Feb 9, 2011
You are doing this while the phone is stuck on the g logo, right, when booting?

yup,

first time I tried nothing happened it just sat there.
then i remembered i needed usb debugged enabled, so I flashed stock 11, enabled debugging, allowed my computer, flashed ,magisk patched boot, ran the adb command.
Now it reboots my phone and i get stuck on the in fastboot mode with "no valid slot to boot"
guess i just live without root, or wipe my phone and start over.... sigh

All this to use fingerface... the p4 feels like a sad joke now, especially they're dropping face unlock in the new phones, and no other android manufacturer seems interested to make a phone with face unlock or moving their apps to support the new biometric API...

madmartian

Nov 18, 2007
yup,

first time I tried nothing happened it just sat there.
then i remembered i needed usb debugged enabled, so I flashed stock 11, enabled debugging, allowed my computer, flashed ,magisk patched boot, ran the adb command.
Now it reboots my phone and i get stuck on the in fastboot mode with "no valid slot to boot"
guess i just live without root, or wipe my phone and start over.... sigh

All this to use fingerface... the p4 feels like a sad joke now, especially they're dropping face unlock in the new phones, and no other android manufacturer seems interested to make a phone with face unlock or moving their apps to support the new biometric API...

Same problem here. I tried the "adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules" command, which did appear to work, but really it just booted the phone back to fastboot mode and would not boot beyond until I restored the original boot.img. Two versions of Magisk Canary later (301) and it's still not working on my Pixel 4 XL.

electric0ant

Feb 9, 2011
Same problem here. I tried the "adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules" command, which did appear to work, but really it just booted the phone back to fastboot mode and would not boot beyond until I restored the original boot.img. Two versions of Magisk Canary later (301) and it's still not working on my Pixel 4 XL.

I even tried flashing android 10 (without wiping) to see if I could get back into my phone to uninstall the modules, (it didn't work).
Ended up just wiping my phone and starting from scratch again.

Well Pixel 5 has been announced, looks like the face unlock is a failed experiment which no one else in the android world wants to move onto (maybe the mask and pandemic is playing factor).
Looks like it's time to say goodbye to the 4xl, I'm fed up of having to re-do root every month just for fingerface. none of my banks and apps i use want to support face unlock except lastpass.

ryaniskira

Mar 28, 2013
Chattanooga
thanks for posting but for whatever reason this is not working for me.. sigh, totally forgot to uninstall my modules before flashing 11...
i can see my 4xl listed under adb devices. but the command seems to do nothing for me

I even tried flashing android 10 (without wiping) to see if I could get back into my phone to uninstall the modules, (it didn't work).
Ended up just wiping my phone and starting from scratch again.

Well Pixel 5 has been announced, looks like the face unlock is a failed experiment which no one else in the android world wants to move onto (maybe the mask and pandemic is playing factor).
Looks like it's time to say goodbye to the 4xl, I'm fed up of having to re-do root every month just for fingerface. none of my banks and apps i use want to support face unlock except lastpass.

Is rerooting really that difficult though? Just uninstall Magisk (restore image), install the OTA, flash Magisk to inactive slot, and reboot.

reubendevries

Jan 18, 2011
Langley
Hello I just tried the following https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-4-root-magisk/ but when I reboot, I get a warning that says Your device is corrupt. It Can't be trusted and may not work properly. Visit this link on another device g.co/ABH I can then press continue and I get a warning that says the following The bootloader is unlocked and software integrity cannot be guaranteed. Any data stored on the device may be available to attackers. Do not store any sensitve data on this device or another device. After I press continue it goes to the Google flash screen and won't continue. If I try ADB it won't work as it says the device isn't authorized. Any help?