[Magisk] [EMUI 8.0] Root Honor View 10, Mate 10 (Pro) (Huawei Treble Devices)

Search This thread

topjohnwu

Senior Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Jan 31, 2012
Taipei
Magisk has officially landed on the lovely Treble enabled Huawei devices! Props to Huawei reaching out and sent me a device for development :)
Instead of holding it off and wait till the next proper release, I decide to release it here so those willing to root their device can give it a try.

These Huawei Treble devices use an interesting setup: it no longer has a boot and recovery partition, but instead has a kernel partition, a ramdisk partition, and a recovery_ramdisk partition. Both boot and recovery share the same kernel, but with separate ramdisks on separate partitions. Since Magisk modifies the ramdisk in boot images, the patches will have to be applied to the ramdisk partition. This nature will very likely to also slightly change how custom recovery will be installed, my bet is similar to Pixel devices which ships with a full ramdisk image, and should be flashed to the recovery_ramdisk partition.
This build is only tested with Honor View 10, but it should work with Mate 10 and Mate 10 Pro in theory since these devices are very similar.

Enough of the rambling, let's get right into it!

Instructions
If your device have TWRP support, just directly flash it via TWRP. For devices without TWRP yet (currently all Huawei Treble devices), you can follow the instructions below:
  1. Install latest Magisk Manager from the Official Thread
  2. Go to Settings > Update Settings > Update Channel > Custom, and insert the following URL: https://goo.gl/jefZKH
  3. Follow the instructions of "Install Via Magisk Manager" in the main thread, but instead of providing the boot image (which these devices do NOT have), provide the stock ramdisk.img.
    If you are using EU View 10 with model BKL-L09, you can download the stock ramdisk.img I extracted from official OTAs in the attachments
    If you have stock ramdisk images for other devices, please share them and I'll add them to the OP.
    Make sure you are installing Magisk-v15.4(1541), which is only available through the custom channel you've set in step 2.
  4. Pull the patched image with adb pull /sdcard/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img, and flash the patched ramdisk via fastboot:
    fastboot flash ramdisk patched_boot.img
  5. Reboot and you shall have a properly rooted device passing SafetyNet, start playing with some Magisk modules!
Donation
https://www.paypal.me/topjohnwu

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180213-221125.jpg
    Screenshot_20180213-221125.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 15,204
  • Magisk-v15.4(1541).zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 18,009
  • huawei.txt
    462 bytes · Views: 100,887
  • BKL-L09_ramdisk.img
    16 MB · Views: 7,558
  • BLA-L29_ramdisk.img
    16 MB · Views: 3,715
  • STF-L09_ramdisk.img
    16 MB · Views: 3,345
  • VKY-L29_ramdisk.img
    16 MB · Views: 2,434
Last edited:

Rj_Param

Feb 26, 2013
Mumbai
Magisk has officially landed on the lovely Treble enabled Huawei devices! Props to Huawei reaching out and sent me a device for development :)
Instead of holding it off and wait till the next proper release, I decide to release it here so those willing to root their device can give it a try.

These Huawei Treble devices use an interesting setup: it no longer has a boot and recovery partition, but instead has a kernel partition, a ramdisk partition, and a recovery_ramdisk partition. Both boot and recovery share the same kernel, but with separate ramdisks on separate partitions. Since Magisk modifies the ramdisk in boot images, the patches will have to be applied to the ramdisk partition. This nature will very likely to also slightly change how custom recovery will be installed, my bet is similar to Pixel devices which ships with a full ramdisk image, and should be flashed to the recovery_ramdisk partition.
This build is only tested with Honor View 10, but it should work with Mate 10 and Mate 10 Pro in theory since these devices are very similar.

Instructions
If your device have TWRP support, just directly flash it via TWRP. For devices without TWRP yet (currently all Huawei Treble devices), you can follow the instructions below:
  2. Go to Settings > Update Settings > Update Channel > Custom, and insert the following URL: https://goo.gl/jefZKH
  3. Follow the instructions of "Install Via Magisk Manager" in the main thread, but instead of providing the boot image (which these devices do NOT have), provide the stock ramdisk.img.
    If you are using EU View 10 with model BKL-L09, you can download the stock ramdisk.img I extracted from official OTAs in the attachments
    If you have stock ramdisk images for other devices, please share them and I'll add them to the OP.
    Make sure you are installing Magisk-v15.4(1541), which is only available through the custom channel you've set in step 2.
  4. Pull the patched image with adb pull /sdcard/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img, and flash the patched ramdisk via fastboot:
  5. Reboot and you shall have a properly rooted device passing SafetyNet, start playing with some Magisk modules!
Donation
Finally!! [emoji16] was waiting for this.... Thank You.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

eddie2020

Jan 15, 2012
We can do this follow instructions from completely stock bkl l09 C636? My 1st honor phone.. Not sure it have those locked boot loader like xiaomi or not..

sanrockps

Aug 24, 2012
Help..

Hey man, Thanks a lot.. It's really nice to have magisk for v10.. I am kind of a noob.. Can u provide step by step instructions and Patched Img for Indian version BKL-09..

Thanks

Rj_Param

Feb 26, 2013
Mumbai
Root Final Stage issue!

I have done all the steps but on the last stage when I try to flash ramdisk it's giving me an error failed (remote: command not allowed) please help...thanks

Narasimha12

Jun 5, 2016
Wow, that's freaky fast man.. you are wonderful.
since we don't have official firmware released yet and out of concern I'm asking, is there any chance of bootloop or brick?
I understand it shouldn't be if we follow steps in OP, but sometimes people miss a step or do something else, so what's the worst can we expect?

MishaalRahman

Retired Editor in Chief
Nov 2, 2015
www.xda-developers.com
since we don't have official firmware released yet and out of concern I'm asking, is there any chance of bootloop or brick?
I understand it shouldn't be if we follow steps in OP, but sometimes people miss a step or do something else, so what's the worst can we expect?

So long as you have a backup of your device's ramdisk image, you should be fine. The ramdisk for the Honor View 10 is attached to the OP.

bhargavpa

Dec 14, 2014
Yes it's working... Just finished installing magisk...so far everything is fine but somehow SafetyNet is not working.

so you unlocked bootloader right? and also any honor features broke??? like camera modes etc etc...and share bootloader unlock process too...

Blackball

May 2, 2007
@topjohnwu
Its doesn't work with my twrp 3.2.1-0 for P10plus. A older twrp version works.
It's a twrp version thing or do I need to add something?

Reactions: v0ne

Rj_Param

Feb 26, 2013
Mumbai
To install Magisk and gain root in your honor view 10 you have to unlock your bootloader first.

##Please backup your data before proceeding with the process. You will loose all your data if you unlock the bootloader. ##

Please follow below steps to unlock bootloader
1) Create a Huawei ID on this page https://goo.gl/GkkdxE if you don’t have one already.
2) After creating a Huawei id, fill out the details.
3) You will need your phone’s IMEI number, to know that dial * # * # 1357946 # * # * on the dialer app. Fill the required fields and click the Submit button.
4) Save the unlock code you received.
5) Now connect your Honor View 10 to the PC with a USB cable.
6) In the ADB command window, type the following command to boot your Honor View 10 into fastboot mode.

adb reboot bootloader

7) To unlock the bootloader, type the following command and hit Enter. Replace key with the unlock key you’ve previously saved. For example, fastboot oem unlock 44801904392841

fastboot oem unlock [unlock key]

Last edited:

shihabsoft

Nov 1, 2013
To install Magisk and gain root in your honor view 10 you have to unlock your bootloader first.

##Please backup your data before proceeding with the process. You will loose all your data if you unlock the bootloader. ##

1) Create a Huawei ID on this page https://goo.gl/GkkdxE if you don’t have one already.
3) You will need your phone’s IMEI number, to know that dial * # * # 1357946 # * # * on the dialer app. Fill the required fields and click the Submit button.
6) In the ADB command window, type the following command to boot your Honor View 10 into fastboot mode.

adb reboot bootloader

7) To unlock the bootloader, type the following command and hit Enter. Replace key with the unlock key you’ve previously saved. For example, fastboot oem unlock 44801904392841

I know the procedure, but once you unlock the bootloader does any security features get disabled? And does it just wipe /data or including the internal storage?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Instructions
    Donation

So long as you have a backup of your device's ramdisk image, you should be fine. The ramdisk for the Honor View 10 is attached to the OP.
    Volume DOWN and inserting the USB cable goes to fastboot mode!

I flashed the original boot image and I have my phone back. No root yet but I'll try again.

Update: fixed. I have root. It seems adb pull didn't give me a clean file (3 tries, 3 failures). I copied the file another way and it worked. Very happy now.
    Does the ramdisk.img work for indian variants?
    Yes it's working... Just finished installing magisk...so far everything is fine but somehow SafetyNet is not working.

adb reboot bootloader