Magisk for dummies

Search This thread

iwanttoknow

Jun 21, 2016
Hi all,

I tried to find basic informations about Magisk without success.

Is anyone here could explain what is Magisk, as if I was 5 years old ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lothaen

Jun 4, 2010
plus.google.com
Thanks for your reply.

The thread for Magisk is too technical for me. In a first approach, I want only to understand with simple words, what Magisk can do.

I'm with you - that main thread completely lost me - I installed the manager and it errored from twrp and I guess it leads on to something about finding a boot.img to patch - but i'm lost

Lothaen

Jun 4, 2010
plus.google.com

iwanttoknow

Jun 21, 2016
Thanks a lot IronRoo for your reply !

After reading I have understood that Magisk implies to install a recovery tool like TRWP.

So I have only to unlock the device's bootloader to install a recovery tool and after Magisk. Magisk doesn’t modify system files.

Ok but I don't understand how it's possible the device obtains root access. It's certainly magical ;)

vtsnaab

Nov 24, 2015
Most of the time I don't look for the sort of 'tell me like I'm a 5 y/o' info - but Magisk IS an exception for that, for me.

There is very little that I can find which is written in plain, simple words such that I can even figure out -IF- it is usable as I'd like it to be.

My example:
I have an unlocked Moto E6 - can I even get TWRP installed & working in that phone ??
No clue.

Prior to Android V5.x gaining root access was loads easier to accomplish & I've happily done so for my several older LG devices & our previously daily use Kyocera phones.

BUT:
For my couple of devices with versions of Android newer than V5 - I am only able to de-bloat those somewhat via ADB shell - but they are locked to AT&T which would mean I'd have to fulfill their unlocking requirements to get 'em unlocked - or am I mistaken about that ??

The closest I've found to a VERY simplified guide to using Magisk is here:

But method 1 is not possible for my devices AFAIK & method 2 requires me to have a stock firmware IMG to patch...but I've zero idea where I might get those for a Moto or a 'modern' LG phone - is there any particularly good way to accomplish that ??

So - as the OP said - please tell me like I'm a 5 year old ?!?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts