• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Magisk General Support / Discussion

Search This thread

Ch3vr0n

May 6, 2009
My pixel 3 started prepping download too, then went back to no updates. Maybe google pulled the incremental ota, while leaving full ones and factory images. If I don't get it by Sunday, I'll probably flash the factory

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

marquelito

With old interface Magisk Manager, when you open "UBS Access", after a few seconds it will show the error message then quit.

With new interface Magisk Manager, "UBS Access" can be used.

Of course for both versions, I have enabled "hide Magisk Manager", and Magiskhide is enabled for "UBS Access".

It's ok for me, but I use an extra magisk hide zip. Changing permissions to uds file and making busybox hidded for apps that detect it. In order to work around snapchat ban. I don't know if @topjohnwu is aware of this issue. Use rootbeerfresh to know what is detected

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200208-002317_Access.jpg
    Screenshot_20200208-002317_Access.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 389
  • Screenshot_20200208-002358.jpg
    Screenshot_20200208-002358.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
Reactions: seemebreakthis
Jul 24, 2013
Until yesterday I used 19.2 on a Oct-2019 LOS build. After Updating to a Feb-2020 build and 20.3, Ingress detects the root. Magisk Hide for Ingress is on, the manager app is renamed. I flashed 19.2 again, manager says magisk is not installed. then I used the flashable uninstaller, flashed 19.2 and removed the old manager version that was installed with it (and kept the current randomly renamed one). In emulated/0/ I even removed the magisk files from download folder and the com.randomname folder (within ./android/data or ./data, I'm not sure)

Did anything change from Oct build to Feb build? Did I miss to remove an indentifier of magisk?

amg314

Feb 7, 2017
Kharkov
Until yesterday I used 19.2 on a Oct-2019 LOS build. After Updating to a Feb-2020 build and 20.3, Ingress detects the root. Magisk Hide for Ingress is on, the manager app is renamed. I flashed 19.2 again, manager says magisk is not installed. then I used the flashable uninstaller, flashed 19.2 and removed the old manager version that was installed with it (and kept the current randomly renamed one). In emulated/0/ I even removed the magisk files from download folder and the com.randomname folder (within ./android/data or ./data, I'm not sure)

Did anything change from Oct build to Feb build? Did I miss to remove an indentifier of magisk?
Try do the following:

1. Mark the target application in 'Magisk Hide'.
2. Rebuild Magisk Manager with a random package name.
3. Delete data (not cache) of the target application:
Settings --> Apps --> Target app --> Storage --> Clear Data

bunklung

Mar 20, 2011
My pixel 3 started prepping download too, then went back to no updates. Maybe google pulled the incremental ota, while leaving full ones and factory images. If I don't get it by Sunday, I'll probably flash the factory

I gave up. I think Google pushed something in the January update or through Play Services which effects the ability to detect/flag root when trying to download the February update. Or something was flagged when it detected an off Magisk module or something? I went as far as restoring the image and disabling my modules. No luck.

So...

The frustrating thing is that I could not boot TWRP (FAILED (Status read failed (Too many links))) after I performed a stock recovery sideload of the full OTA. So I had to download the full update, extract boot, copy to the device, boot to stock Android, patch the boot in Magisk Manager, copy the file back to PC, boot to the bootloader, flash the modified boot. Ehhhhhhh. First world problems, I know.

Does anyone know if I will be able to restore my image since I used this workaround patch boot? Does Magisk even have my original image? I patched it, but where does it keep the original boot image? Can I just copy this over to X directory? I don't know if image restorals will even apply to me since I might not see an official OTA for a while that actually downloads. I assume I am some edge case.

Ch3vr0n

May 6, 2009
I doubt they pushed something. As to the 'too many links'. You're not connected to a USB 3 port are you? Took me a while to figure that one out for me, but the moment I swapped to a USB 2 port I'd boot twrp just fine. Didn't change anything else.

Note that due to the system-as-root implementation in Android 10, it won't go you any good. TWRP had yet to be updated with SAR support, I checked the TWRP site earlier. Last message on that still dates to around October last year I think.

I just sideloaded the ota, but couldn't find a way to extract the boot image from it (the payload.bin file), so grabbed the factory image, extracted the boot file and patched it with magisk on the device. Then fastboot flash and back up and running. Tough you can just flash the entire image and remove the -w flag from the flash-all file.

We'll see again in a month.

bunklung

Mar 20, 2011
I doubt they pushed something. As to the 'too many links'. You're not connected to a USB 3 port are you? Took me a while to figure that one out for me, but the moment I swapped to a USB 2 port I'd boot twrp just fine. Didn't change anything else.

Note that due to the system-as-root implementation in Android 10, it won't go you any good. TWRP had yet to be updated with SAR support, I checked the TWRP site earlier. Last message on that still dates to around October last year I think.

I just sideloaded the ota, but couldn't find a way to extract the boot image from it (the payload.bin file), so grabbed the factory image, extracted the boot file and patched it with magisk on the device. Then fastboot flash and back up and running. Tough you can just flash the entire image and remove the -w flag from the flash-all file.

We'll see again in a month.

Perhaps it's because you have an XL? I did try USB 2.0, no luck. Does SAR have anything to do with mounting the encrypted partition? A while back the work around for running the Magisk install in TWRP, was to use adb sideload since you really didn't need to write to userdata. I think TWRP used a ramdisk for running the Magisk script.

Would this still apply today?

Ch3vr0n

May 6, 2009
It has everything to do with accessing encrypted data. I suggest you read the TWRP announcement ok Android 10.

bunklung

Mar 20, 2011

Thanks for this. I found this too:
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/1870

So I tried to just do a restore and it worked based on the patch I did from /sdcard. It looks like it then create a folder in /data called magisk_back_sh1. Within this folder, the compressed stock, boot.img.gz, exists.

I did find a file ,sbin/.magisk/config, that included:
KEEPVERITY=true
KEEPFORCEENCRYPT=true
RECOVERYMODE=false
SHA1=5b542994cc2331c161e311ad2f8424a177a514d2

I have two phones. My second phone I just flashed the patched boot image from fastboot. I could not find sbin/.magisk/config. I suspect that I may be able to add this above. It does seem they that implemented a change to backups of stock images.

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

It has everything to do with accessing encrypted data. I suggest you read the TWRP announcement ok Android 10.

Okay, well boot isn't encrypted. I did read that a while ago, but I never flashed my custom recoveries if I could avoid it. I would only boot to them from fastboot as of recently. So you might be able to use adb sideload within TWRP. I can't seem to get it to boot on my phone :( I even tried a fresh download. I guess I could try another PC. I guess I really just want to eliminate a bunch of steps if I could.

fastboot boot C:\Users\XDA\Downloads\twrp-3.3.0-0-blueline.img
Sending 'boot.img' (65536 KB) OKAY [ 1.525s]
Booting FAILED (Status read failed (Too many links))
fastboot: error: Command failed

nvrmndryo

Oct 24, 2013
Hi everyone, I've recently rooted my phone and while using Magisk hide, it's unable hide it from Google Pay and few other bank apps.
Any help?

nvrmndryo

Oct 24, 2013
Try do the following:

Thanks,it worked.
Do i have to do this step everytime i select new app?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2013
Try do the following:

I did that (verified 1., stopped the Ingerss app in the settings app, restored magisk, renamed magisk again [also changed the app name different from "Manager", which was not possible before], cleared app data of ingress, restarted the app ) and nothing changed. After "full uninstall" of magisk and removal of the (renamed) Manager app Ingress does still complain, it seems to complain even faster than with magisk installed. I don't understand, how this is possible - if Ingress does not refuse to run on LOS at all?! Funny thing though: No issues with the mainstrem-brother Pokemon Go ...

Last edited:

thinklost

Feb 4, 2020
Hello All!

I've encountered a problem that appears to be affecting other users installing Magisk on the SlimLP ROM for the Fire HD8 2017 (Douglas) found here @ XDA which runs Android Lollipop 5.1, and have also posted a request for aid there as well, the problem is as follows:

After Clean Flashing the new ROM everything works perfectly fine, until I install Magisk; then whenever I press the recent apps button (a square) the recent apps briefly opens followed by a crash of SystemUI that says "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped."

Things Ive Tried:
-Clearing the Cache of SystemUI, the Home UI (SlimLauncher), and all other apps manually
-Clearning the System Cache and the Dalvik Cache.
-Force Closing SystemUI and resetting it.

Nothing works. I reinstalled the Rom and confirm the issue only begins the first time I press the recent apps (square) button after having opened Magisk.
The only advice I've thus far been given on the other thread is to "try older versions of Magisk and see what happens";

If relevant: I also use the module 'MagiskHide Props Config' and 'Busybox for Android NDK'.

Is this the right place for me to post this issue? Thank you so much for your time and thoughts,
-T

Wolfcity

Recognized Contributor
Apr 26, 2013
Germany
Moto G 2014
Moto G5 Plus
I did that (verified 1., stopped the Ingerss app in the settings app, restored magisk, renamed magisk again [also changed the app name different from "Manager", which was not possible before], cleared app data of ingress, restarted the app ) and nothing changed. After "full uninstall" of magisk and removal of the (renamed) Manager app Ingress does still complain, it seems to complain even faster than with magisk installed. I don't understand, how this is possible - if Ingress does not refuse to run on LOS at all?! Funny thing though: No issues with the mainstrem-brother Pokemon Go ...

For all Ingress users struggling after the latest update:
The culprit in this case are the TWRP folder/s.

My steps:
- If not already done update to the latest magisk stable 20.3 (canary doesn't help here). Earlier builds may work too.

- Hide Magisk Manager with a random name.

-Check with Rootbeer Fresh app (playstore) if everything is green. (naturally rootbeer has to be on the hide list).

- Safety net check in magisk, both (cts und Basic integrity) have to pass.

- Put Ingress on the hide list.

- Rename (or if not needed anymore delete) TWRP folders, I named them TWSX (check internal and external storage, maybe there are TWRP folders on both).

- Optional: Rename files and folders with "magisk" into magic or whatever.

- Reboot.

If you use TWRP furthermore rename the folders temporary back to TWRP before doing a backup or restoring one.

Sent from my Moto G5 Plus using XDA Labs

Last edited:

T0mu

Jun 10, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
Hi to all magisk devs.
i had an interesting experience with a banking app but I
do not want to publish in the forum useful information that could be fixed in a newer release.
first:
no matter what I do the app doesn't work with magisk or magisk manager installed.
the only way to make it work is rename magisk manager to something different AND restore image (thru uninstall button), rhen reboot.
and it works.

any other way - > complains about a 'possibly rooted device' and wont pass the splash screen.
interesting thing is ( probably an overlook of developers and that's why I am not posting in forum more info) : app dumps a log file with a lot of info about the guessing game it makes...
if some recognized magisk devs are interested i can send you the file and more info about it.
by the way, magisk is really a great tool! :cowboy:
and thanks to topjohnwu

Last edited by a moderator:

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
Hello All!

I've encountered a problem that appears to be affecting other users installing Magisk on the SlimLP ROM for the Fire HD8 2017 (Douglas) found here @ XDA which runs Android Lollipop 5.1, and have also posted a request for aid there as well, the problem is as follows:

After Clean Flashing the new ROM everything works perfectly fine, until I install Magisk; then whenever I press the recent apps button (a square) the recent apps briefly opens followed by a crash of SystemUI that says "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped."

Things Ive Tried:
-Clearing the Cache of SystemUI, the Home UI (SlimLauncher), and all other apps manually
-Clearning the System Cache and the Dalvik Cache.
-Force Closing SystemUI and resetting it.

Nothing works. I reinstalled the Rom and confirm the issue only begins the first time I press the recent apps (square) button after having opened Magisk.
The only advice I've thus far been given on the other thread is to "try older versions of Magisk and see what happens";

If relevant: I also use the module 'MagiskHide Props Config' and 'Busybox for Android NDK'.

Is this the right place for me to post this issue? Thank you so much for your time and thoughts,
-T

It does sound like a ROM issue, but that's just a guess that could be completely wrong...

Best place to post any logs and other relevant information would be on GitHub, and there's already an issue opened for this:
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/2420

Just make sure you guys don't spam it with "me too" posts...

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
"Hide Magisk Manager" fails

I'm using the latest MagiskManager on my Android 10 device (OnePlus 7 Pro running OOS 10.3.0). In order to get Google Pay to work, I am trying the following in order to rename Magisk Manager:

Settings->Hide Magisk Manager

However, this fails with the message "Hide Magisk Manager failed". Is there a way to properly rename Magisk Manager under Android 10?

PS: is there any "surgery" I can do to the files under /data/data/com.topjohnwu.magisk in order to rename Magisk Manager?
.​

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

I'm not noticing any problems either. Was just making a PSA for anybody who does use Riru that it's not going to work anymore, and it's not a bug -- it was intentionally disabled. People are freaking out in the alpha Telegram over the "bug," and I wanted to head that off over here
    Yup, looks like w/ a0fe78a7-alpha (maverick 😜) users needing any Riru solutions are out of luck.

I'm guessing many of these modules will move to Zygisk base in due course.

Those using needing USNF 2.x for September Google server end change can move back to 1.2.0 and older fixes changing model props. MagiskHide Props Config module Force Basic attestation option with similar late 'device selected from list' matching OEM configured is probably the best of these option. PW

Screenshot_2021-09-25-09-21-04-544_com.topjohnwu.magisk.png
    Screenshot_2021-09-25-09-25-37-464_com.topjohnwu.magisk.jpg
    Interestingly, I had such issues with 0ab31ab0-alpha with Riru enabled, but issue is gone for me in 61783ffc-alpha...

You could try disabling Riru & USNF 2.x, rebooting, checking Zygisk status / settings, then enabling again; I needed this initially - actually uninstalled USNF, disabled Riru and rebooted before installing again... No issue since on RN8T.

Of course this may be a per device issue.

John and vvb2060 are still busy with implementation of Zygisk; this may help in next builds:
    https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/pull/4720
    ... merged with Commits on Sep 24, 2021:
    https://github.com/vvb2060/Magisk/commits/app_zygote
    ... there'll be more too. PW
    I have tried w/o any modules
    Toggled the zygisk button to enable, reboot, zygisk = No, but the button in settings stayed as toggled on, checked the logs, no trace of zygisk

Tried toggled on and added denylist, reboot, zygisk = No, checked the logs, still no trace of zygisk, but the denylist ran and active.

Reverting to 0ab31ab0-alpha, boom!!! zygisk = Yes, checked the logs, zygisk xhook was there.

Tried all alpha before 0ab31ab0-alpha too (with zygisk in it), all the same result with zygisk xhook ran.

...running weirdly? or it is weird that they are running?
    It was weird they were running but with no zygisk
    Tried newest alpha, zygisk = No, ramdisk = yes, denylist(s) active and running (weird)
    Reverted to 0ab31ab0-alpha, zygisk = Yes...
    For now i'm happy with 9bf835e8-alpha
    Interestingly, I had such issues with 0ab31ab0-alpha with Riru enabled, but issue is gone for me in 61783ffc-alpha...

You could try disabling Riru & USNF 2.x, rebooting, checking Zygisk status / settings, then enabling again; I needed this initially - actually uninstalled USNF, disabled Riru and rebooted before installing again... No issue since on RN8T.

Of course this may be a per device issue.

John and vvb2060 are still busy with implementation of Zygisk; this may help in next builds:
    https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/pull/4720
    ... merged with Commits on Sep 24, 2021:
    https://github.com/vvb2060/Magisk/commits/app_zygote
    ... there'll be more too. PW
    For me everything ok (I don't use and need riru): root, SN, V4A, WebView, you name it
    I'm not noticing any problems either. Was just making a PSA for anybody who does use Riru that it's not going to work anymore, and it's not a bug -- it was intentionally disabled. People are freaking out in the alpha Telegram over the "bug," and I wanted to head that off over here
    So guys after tests I have to find out how I add squashfs support on twrp, cause I can't do much, what I saw is that when I rebooted to system magisk was not working like the first place, tried to boot to twrp and guess what, it booted to stock recovery, how? I didn't flash the stock recovery, I searched and I find out that when it booting to system everything I has flash goes back to stock, for this magisk don't work when I trying to boot with combo key, everything goes back to stock without flashing, so the patched recovery from magisk goes back to stock while booting, I will make more research!
    Behaviour is pretty standard w/ stock ROMs (eg MIUI):
    Note many devices will replace your custom recovery automatically during first boot. To prevent this, use Google to find the proper key combo to enter recovery. After typing fastboot reboot, hold the key combo and boot to TWRP. Once TWRP is booted, TWRP will patch the stock ROM to prevent the stock ROM from replacing TWRP. If you don't follow this step, you will have to repeat the install.
    https://twrp.me/xiaomi/xiaomimi9tpro.html

Nb. as mentioned, installing Magisk zip installer from TWRP will only succeed if bootloader contains 'boot' ramdisk support to allow basic ramdisk added by Magisk to be utilised... Of course you may be considering other custom recovery tricks. 😛 PW
    OK. AIO solution. Modded "Universal SafetyNet Fix" module. Just added "model" props.
    So, new layer of HARDWARE detection is here.
    SafetyNet failed on devices, where must bee HARDWARE detection. GMS no longer check system response of evaluation type, and force check HW. USNF doesn't work in this cause.
    Hm, funny things happening. I was thinking this is upgrade of HW attestation, but it is DOWNGRADE actually. 😄

Remember my old first simple digging into HW?
    It`s..... working again.

Looks like a temporary solution or just "combo" of old and new methods from Google.
    This explains the fact that dirty hack with Xposed-s working now.

So, this current environment may be temporary or preparation for something BIGGER.

In conclusion: in this time to passing SafetyNet you need just my old "hardware_off" module from link above or "MagiskHidePropsConf" with any "BASIC" print with model simulation and kdrag0n-s "Universal SafetyNet Fix".

No ***-posed-s need!
    Few Headsups:

1) There are reports that Danny's (@kdrag0n) new early release Universal SafetyNet Fix 2.0.0 (combines AOSP Keystore and shim Keystore solutions) is restoring ctsProfile for some. It just may work for all, but not enough reports as yet. Also, it requires a payment at this stage:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-module-universal-safetynet-fix-1-1-0.4217823/post-85581909

https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/pull/13#issuecomment-904209677

2) There are reports that simply using MagiskHide Props Config module to 'delete' ro.product.model prop fixes ctsProfile on custom ROMs where other methods have failed. Eg:
    https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/issues/78#issuecomment-912885628

3) New MagiskHide Props Config module 6.0.0 just released with all the sensitive prop values that MagiskHide changed up to and including Magisk v23 set by default, "Force BASIC key attestation" re-enabled (for Googles latest changes), and various other fixes.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...p-edits-and-more-v6-0-0.3789228/post-85581939

I have to agree that this module's name does suddenly seem very apt, and as always, it proves elegant in its versatility. 😛👍

4) Another elegant solution that some may have relegated to a bygone era seems to be coming back in fashion to!

Those with Google Pay problems persisting after fixing ctsProfile are reporting in GPay threads, here and elsewhere, that GPay-SQLite-Fix + SQLite binary modules from stylemessiah (a connoisseur at least in digital fashion ... or perhaps just lucky, our @73sydney, - original solution from @BostonDan ) is fixing these for them once again. 😜 Eg:
    https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/issues/78#issuecomment-912798412

WOT 😉 to read if interested:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...s-of-gms-17-1-22-on-pie.3929950/post-79643248

🤠 PW
    ro.product.model was enough for my OP8T, but I didn't like how Google Play Services started referring to my device as "OnePlus BASIC" with the "hardware off" module, so I knocked together this module really quickly to just append _SN to the real model name. WFM. 🤘
    Removed the @Displax safety net mod fix and applied the latest USNF 2.1.0 from @kdrag0n.

Attestation is passed and device is compliant in company portal too with my original device name 1+8 Pro and not Pixel.

This is done over the latest Alpha Magisk.

Update: My In-display fingerprint hardware is not working anymore, I think the fix is already committed. Hopefully it will be resolved in the next version.
    Yep, I have sent a Pull Request with the fix like an hour after v2.1.0 was released. 🤠

See my post here in the official USNF thread for getting it working in the meantime until it's merged and a new release is made: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...tynet-fix-1-1-0.4217823/page-59#post-85631613

Also may be worth everyone reading my comments at the end of that post about people doubting the sponsored testing closed-then-open development.

And then here on this GitHub issue about how it's not meant to replace MagiskHide so you can't just turn Hide off: https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/issues/91#issuecomment-919264624
    This is the place for general support and discussion regarding "Public Releases", which includes both stable and beta releases.
    All information, including troubleshoot guides and notes, are in the Announcement Thread
    Hello, I haven't given much support on XDA lately. It can be resulted from
    • University started and I have limited free time. In fact, I mostly develop during midnight
    • I live in Taiwan, which has large time zone differences between my European/American contributors/testers, which usually forces me to stay up late at night to discuss/test stuffs.
    • The new version is about to come, I don't want to spend effort on supporting old releases
    The planned update is delayed again and again, to some point I think I'll shed some light about what has been happening lately, also along with some announcements.

New Forum!
    As you might have already discovered, Magisk got its own subforum on XDA! Many thanks to all the support you gave me, and much more information/features/support is about to come!
    **For developers supporting all the devices that are not using standard Android boot format, feel free to create threads in this section (actually, PLEASE do so) for your favorite devices after v7 is out. As I currently know, Asus devices require signing the boot image before flashing, and is model dependant; Sony devices seems to use ELF kernel that is unpatchable, or some has two ramdisks (inner + outer), both requires different workarounds; LG bootloader locked devices has to manually "BUMP" the boot image after flashing Magisk..... and there may be lots of other crazy boot image formats that haven't come up to my attention yet.
    It is impossible for me to support all these non-standard boot images, and I hope the community can collaborate to make Magisk running across all the devices. Overall, community collaboration is what XDA about :D

The Pixel Phone
    Some of you might already know this news, that the next Pixel Phone right around the corner seems like it does not have ramdisk in boot image, which pretty much wrecked Magisk in all ways. However, it pretty much doomed root itself too. Kernel modifications is inevitable IMO, so I'll try to migrate my scripts to C programs that could possibly be included into the kernel itself. Note that I'm not familiar with linux kernel, I'm not even sure if my idea and concept is correct or not. But once the device is available, I think developers will find a way to bypass all the difficulties, and I'll do my best to learn things ;)

Current Progress
    In the past month, I've spent quite some time learning SELinux, so that I can avoid using SuperSU's sepolicy patches. Thanks to the helps and tips from @phhusson and @Chainfire, I finally have a much clearer understanding of how SELinux works. The Magisk core parts (the scripts, boot image patches, new features, more supports) are actually done some time ago. What is causing all the delays is the Magisk Manager.
    To be completely honest, although I can code in Java without much issues, Magisk Manager is actually my first Android application, I had to reach out for assistance, and fortunately awesome developers like @DVDandroid and @digitalhigh contributed a lot, which makes the current Manager awesome.
    After the repo system and module management is mostly done, I was about to do some adjustments and release, but what we really done is decided to add another feature: auto-unroot with per-app settings. I decided to wait for it to be finished, and then do my adjustments. Due to reasons that'll be mentioned later, this feature will likely not be available for the next release (should come in future updates)

Safety Net Disaster
    Those who are using Magisk for Safety Net bypass purposes must have known that Google recently updated the detection method of my Systemless Xposed. I still have no idea what Safety Net is detecting, so currently I cannot fix it on my side (also because I'm busy working on the next update). However, suhide developed by @Chainfire is able to hide Xposed and worked fine.
    However, only my Systemless Xposed v86.2, which is based on SuperSU's su.d, is supported using that method. v86.2 and v86.5 (latest, Magisk based) have nearly identical binaries, and the only difference is the path where the binaries are stored.
    I'm still not sure what's the real issue for it not being supported, I just hope it is not done intentionally.

Conclusion
    Due to the fact that my Safety Net bypass is not 100% perfect now, I do not want to spend any more time waiting for auto-unroot to be polished. What I'm doing now is finishing up all the things I'd like to change in Magisk Manager (it has been a while since I last contributed to Manager, my fellow developers are doing all the heavy job), which might take a little more time, after that, packed with tons of information to be announced in Magisk Section, I'll release the long awaited update.

Hope this lengthy post gives you the idea of the whole situation, and again thanks for all your support!!
    Ah, some Chainfire bashing, I hope it is not too late for me to exercise additional villainy.

First, let me make clear I have nothing against @topjohnwu, nor against Magisk. Magisk is an interesting project and it certainly displays @topjohnwu ingenuity and persistence. I don't doubt we will see more interesting things from his hands.

-------------------------

What has happened here is not all that dark and complicated, from either end. I returned from holidays, and someone pointed me at Magisk. My first thought: interesting!

Among other things, the thread lists some issues with SuperSU, which in combination with the phrase The developer also requests users to not bug Chainfire with compatibility requests for SuperSU with Magisk from the portal article, raised my left eyebrow by nigh half an inch. The popular systemless xposed mod is apparently now based on it, and apparently it now no longer works with SuperSU, and apparently I'm not supposed to fix that, nor any of the other found issues. I found that a bit weird. So yes, I have told @topjohnwu that I was a bit surprised he was posting about issues with SuperSU without notifying me about them (I can't fix or help fix issues I'm not aware of, after all).

He's also spreading a modified version of the SuperSU package, which is not all that uncommon, nor necessarily a problem. I have not looked into what he modified, I only ran a few quick tests on one of my devices, and found some commonly used commands run as root to be broken. I have informed him of this as well.

It appears the tool of choice for Magisk is phh's Superuser, because of some of the mentioned issues with SuperSU. That's fine by itself, but fixing issues in that superuser by incorporating SuperSU's binaries into it is a somewhat questionable practise. After all, SuperSU is a commercial closed-source package that helps pay for my dinner, and superuser is a direct competitor. I have informed him that I was surprised he did this without asking for permission. I have expressed similar surprise on him spreading a modified version of LiveBoot (which helps pay for a snack now and then).
    @topjohnwu has also stated that Magisk's scripts are largely influenced by mine (I have not checked). Scripts based on mine are used all over the place on XDA, some people have crafted amazing things based on them, I have never made an issue of this (otherwise I would have just made them binaries). But yes, I have also stated to him that I don't think it's very nice to base something on one program, and then using that to (almost exclusively) push something directly competing with that program.

tl;dr Towards @topjohnwu, I have:
    - expressed surprise he has issues getting Magisk to work with SuperSU, and has chosen not to inform me about those
    - expressed surprise he is using SuperSU binaries in a competing superuser without permission
    - expressed surprise he is posting a modified LiveBoot without permission
    - informed him of issues with the modified SuperSU he has posted
    - let him know I thought it wasn't very nice to be applying my scripts to benefit seemingly exclusively that same competing superuser

To be crystal clear:
    - I have not asked for an apology
    - I have not asked for Magisk to be abandoned, neither the root hiding nor systemless module parts, and certainly not systemless xposed
    - I have not made an issue of any of this anywhere, until this post
    - I have not even specifically asked for anything to be taken down (though obviously in my opinion the other superuser package mixed with SuperSU's binaries, as well as the LiveBoot package, should go)
    - I have not reported this thread to XDA moderators for copyright violations or otherwise

While my conversation with @topjohnwu may not win any awards for being friendly (though it may win some for brevity), I think all things considered my response has been rather mild. To be perfectly honest, until the apology post, I thought this was over with already. I think the apology post was triggered because I haven't replied to his last PM for a while - I was in the zone, it happens.

To emphasize again, I have nothing against @topjohnwu, Magisk, or systemless xposed, and it is certainly not my goal to see any of them go. If it can be made to work together with SuperSU, great.

I get it though: you think of something, you want to see if you can make it work, you finally get it to work, you publish it, it takes off - enthusiasm gets the better of you. Maybe in the rush some mistakes are made. That doesn't mean you have to just drop it and run. None of my stuff would make it past 0.1 if I stopped at the first big mistake :)

Aside from said being in the zone coding, I usually regret actually responding to these sort of things the day after, which has made me hesitant to reply. Surprise me.
    Thread temporarily closed so everyone sees this.

The flood of "SafetyNet isn't working for me either!" posts are not helpful, at all. Please refrain from posting further, it will be looked into. Please do not forget that not passing SafetyNet is 100% NORMAL AND INTENDED when you have an unlocked booloader or running custom firmware. These are workarounds and they will be worked around in turn.

The Flash
    Forum Moderator

EDIT: Thread is reopened... I will be cleaning any SafetyNet posts for a while to keep the thread clean for real issues.
    Hello everyone!

I am aware that Google has updated Safety Net that makes Magisk itself a no go for Android Pay. In fact, I witnessed the change live while I am developing the new magiskhide, which should hide all Magisk modules and Magisk installed root.

Google is serious about Safety Net now, clearly hunting down all possibility to run Xposed with Safety Net passed. I spend quite some time examining the new security measures last midnight, and fortunately it seems that it is possible to run Magisk and root along with Safety Net if no Xposed is running. I'm glad I removed the old root toggle at the right time lol, that is no longer feasible with the latest detection.

So stay tuned for the next update, it will come with bug fixes, along with the new magiskhide to bypass that Safety Net.

Google, how will a few systemless mods do any harm :p:p