• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Magisk General Support / Discussion

Search This thread

seemebreakthis

Jun 6, 2018
Xiaomi Mi 9
How? I download it to test, and can open no problem. The app starts a pop up message? Or just dont start? Before i hide in magisk it fc , then hide and got ok

With old interface Magisk Manager, when you open "UBS Access", after a few seconds it will show the error message then quit.

With new interface Magisk Manager, "UBS Access" can be used.

Of course for both versions, I have enabled "hide Magisk Manager", and Magiskhide is enabled for "UBS Access".

Reactions: guest4711

bunklung

Mar 20, 2011
Yes,, I had to use the factory image with flash-all (without the - w) on my 3aXL.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

That's the same guide I have used. My issue is that the download won't even start. I have accidentally tried to apply an OTA before I unrooted, but that's not my issue.

Ch3vr0n

May 6, 2009
My pixel 3 started prepping download too, then went back to no updates. Maybe google pulled the incremental ota, while leaving full ones and factory images. If I don't get it by Sunday, I'll probably flash the factory

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

marquelito

With old interface Magisk Manager, when you open "UBS Access", after a few seconds it will show the error message then quit.

With new interface Magisk Manager, "UBS Access" can be used.

Of course for both versions, I have enabled "hide Magisk Manager", and Magiskhide is enabled for "UBS Access".

It's ok for me, but I use an extra magisk hide zip. Changing permissions to uds file and making busybox hidded for apps that detect it. In order to work around snapchat ban. I don't know if @topjohnwu is aware of this issue. Use rootbeerfresh to know what is detected

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200208-002317_Access.jpg
    Screenshot_20200208-002317_Access.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 388
  • Screenshot_20200208-002358.jpg
    Screenshot_20200208-002358.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
Reactions: seemebreakthis
Jul 24, 2013
Until yesterday I used 19.2 on a Oct-2019 LOS build. After Updating to a Feb-2020 build and 20.3, Ingress detects the root. Magisk Hide for Ingress is on, the manager app is renamed. I flashed 19.2 again, manager says magisk is not installed. then I used the flashable uninstaller, flashed 19.2 and removed the old manager version that was installed with it (and kept the current randomly renamed one). In emulated/0/ I even removed the magisk files from download folder and the com.randomname folder (within ./android/data or ./data, I'm not sure)

Did anything change from Oct build to Feb build? Did I miss to remove an indentifier of magisk?

amg314

Feb 7, 2017
Kharkov
Until yesterday I used 19.2 on a Oct-2019 LOS build. After Updating to a Feb-2020 build and 20.3, Ingress detects the root. Magisk Hide for Ingress is on, the manager app is renamed. I flashed 19.2 again, manager says magisk is not installed. then I used the flashable uninstaller, flashed 19.2 and removed the old manager version that was installed with it (and kept the current randomly renamed one). In emulated/0/ I even removed the magisk files from download folder and the com.randomname folder (within ./android/data or ./data, I'm not sure)

Did anything change from Oct build to Feb build? Did I miss to remove an indentifier of magisk?
Try do the following:

1. Mark the target application in 'Magisk Hide'.
2. Rebuild Magisk Manager with a random package name.
3. Delete data (not cache) of the target application:
Settings --> Apps --> Target app --> Storage --> Clear Data

bunklung

Mar 20, 2011
My pixel 3 started prepping download too, then went back to no updates. Maybe google pulled the incremental ota, while leaving full ones and factory images. If I don't get it by Sunday, I'll probably flash the factory

I gave up. I think Google pushed something in the January update or through Play Services which effects the ability to detect/flag root when trying to download the February update. Or something was flagged when it detected an off Magisk module or something? I went as far as restoring the image and disabling my modules. No luck.

So...

The frustrating thing is that I could not boot TWRP (FAILED (Status read failed (Too many links))) after I performed a stock recovery sideload of the full OTA. So I had to download the full update, extract boot, copy to the device, boot to stock Android, patch the boot in Magisk Manager, copy the file back to PC, boot to the bootloader, flash the modified boot. Ehhhhhhh. First world problems, I know.

Does anyone know if I will be able to restore my image since I used this workaround patch boot? Does Magisk even have my original image? I patched it, but where does it keep the original boot image? Can I just copy this over to X directory? I don't know if image restorals will even apply to me since I might not see an official OTA for a while that actually downloads. I assume I am some edge case.

Ch3vr0n

May 6, 2009
I doubt they pushed something. As to the 'too many links'. You're not connected to a USB 3 port are you? Took me a while to figure that one out for me, but the moment I swapped to a USB 2 port I'd boot twrp just fine. Didn't change anything else.

Note that due to the system-as-root implementation in Android 10, it won't go you any good. TWRP had yet to be updated with SAR support, I checked the TWRP site earlier. Last message on that still dates to around October last year I think.

I just sideloaded the ota, but couldn't find a way to extract the boot image from it (the payload.bin file), so grabbed the factory image, extracted the boot file and patched it with magisk on the device. Then fastboot flash and back up and running. Tough you can just flash the entire image and remove the -w flag from the flash-all file.

We'll see again in a month.

bunklung

Mar 20, 2011
I doubt they pushed something. As to the 'too many links'. You're not connected to a USB 3 port are you? Took me a while to figure that one out for me, but the moment I swapped to a USB 2 port I'd boot twrp just fine. Didn't change anything else.

Note that due to the system-as-root implementation in Android 10, it won't go you any good. TWRP had yet to be updated with SAR support, I checked the TWRP site earlier. Last message on that still dates to around October last year I think.

I just sideloaded the ota, but couldn't find a way to extract the boot image from it (the payload.bin file), so grabbed the factory image, extracted the boot file and patched it with magisk on the device. Then fastboot flash and back up and running. Tough you can just flash the entire image and remove the -w flag from the flash-all file.

We'll see again in a month.

Perhaps it's because you have an XL? I did try USB 2.0, no luck. Does SAR have anything to do with mounting the encrypted partition? A while back the work around for running the Magisk install in TWRP, was to use adb sideload since you really didn't need to write to userdata. I think TWRP used a ramdisk for running the Magisk script.

Would this still apply today?

Ch3vr0n

May 6, 2009
It has everything to do with accessing encrypted data. I suggest you read the TWRP announcement ok Android 10.

bunklung

Mar 20, 2011

Thanks for this. I found this too:
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/1870

So I tried to just do a restore and it worked based on the patch I did from /sdcard. It looks like it then create a folder in /data called magisk_back_sh1. Within this folder, the compressed stock, boot.img.gz, exists.

I did find a file ,sbin/.magisk/config, that included:
KEEPVERITY=true
KEEPFORCEENCRYPT=true
RECOVERYMODE=false
SHA1=5b542994cc2331c161e311ad2f8424a177a514d2

I have two phones. My second phone I just flashed the patched boot image from fastboot. I could not find sbin/.magisk/config. I suspect that I may be able to add this above. It does seem they that implemented a change to backups of stock images.

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

It has everything to do with accessing encrypted data. I suggest you read the TWRP announcement ok Android 10.

Okay, well boot isn't encrypted. I did read that a while ago, but I never flashed my custom recoveries if I could avoid it. I would only boot to them from fastboot as of recently. So you might be able to use adb sideload within TWRP. I can't seem to get it to boot on my phone :( I even tried a fresh download. I guess I could try another PC. I guess I really just want to eliminate a bunch of steps if I could.

fastboot boot C:\Users\XDA\Downloads\twrp-3.3.0-0-blueline.img
Sending 'boot.img' (65536 KB) OKAY [ 1.525s]
Booting FAILED (Status read failed (Too many links))
fastboot: error: Command failed

nvrmndryo

Oct 24, 2013
Hi everyone, I've recently rooted my phone and while using Magisk hide, it's unable hide it from Google Pay and few other bank apps.
Any help?

nvrmndryo

Oct 24, 2013
Try do the following:

Thanks,it worked.
Do i have to do this step everytime i select new app?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2013
Try do the following:

I did that (verified 1., stopped the Ingerss app in the settings app, restored magisk, renamed magisk again [also changed the app name different from "Manager", which was not possible before], cleared app data of ingress, restarted the app ) and nothing changed. After "full uninstall" of magisk and removal of the (renamed) Manager app Ingress does still complain, it seems to complain even faster than with magisk installed. I don't understand, how this is possible - if Ingress does not refuse to run on LOS at all?! Funny thing though: No issues with the mainstrem-brother Pokemon Go ...

Last edited:

thinklost

Feb 4, 2020
Hello All!

I've encountered a problem that appears to be affecting other users installing Magisk on the SlimLP ROM for the Fire HD8 2017 (Douglas) found here @ XDA which runs Android Lollipop 5.1, and have also posted a request for aid there as well, the problem is as follows:

After Clean Flashing the new ROM everything works perfectly fine, until I install Magisk; then whenever I press the recent apps button (a square) the recent apps briefly opens followed by a crash of SystemUI that says "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped."

Things Ive Tried:
-Clearing the Cache of SystemUI, the Home UI (SlimLauncher), and all other apps manually
-Clearning the System Cache and the Dalvik Cache.
-Force Closing SystemUI and resetting it.

Nothing works. I reinstalled the Rom and confirm the issue only begins the first time I press the recent apps (square) button after having opened Magisk.
The only advice I've thus far been given on the other thread is to "try older versions of Magisk and see what happens";

If relevant: I also use the module 'MagiskHide Props Config' and 'Busybox for Android NDK'.

Is this the right place for me to post this issue? Thank you so much for your time and thoughts,
-T

Wolfcity

Recognized Contributor
Apr 26, 2013
Germany
Moto G 2014
Moto G5 Plus
I did that (verified 1., stopped the Ingerss app in the settings app, restored magisk, renamed magisk again [also changed the app name different from "Manager", which was not possible before], cleared app data of ingress, restarted the app ) and nothing changed. After "full uninstall" of magisk and removal of the (renamed) Manager app Ingress does still complain, it seems to complain even faster than with magisk installed. I don't understand, how this is possible - if Ingress does not refuse to run on LOS at all?! Funny thing though: No issues with the mainstrem-brother Pokemon Go ...

For all Ingress users struggling after the latest update:
The culprit in this case are the TWRP folder/s.

My steps:
- If not already done update to the latest magisk stable 20.3 (canary doesn't help here). Earlier builds may work too.

- Hide Magisk Manager with a random name.

-Check with Rootbeer Fresh app (playstore) if everything is green. (naturally rootbeer has to be on the hide list).

- Safety net check in magisk, both (cts und Basic integrity) have to pass.

- Put Ingress on the hide list.

- Rename (or if not needed anymore delete) TWRP folders, I named them TWSX (check internal and external storage, maybe there are TWRP folders on both).

- Optional: Rename files and folders with "magisk" into magic or whatever.

- Reboot.

If you use TWRP furthermore rename the folders temporary back to TWRP before doing a backup or restoring one.

Sent from my Moto G5 Plus using XDA Labs

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

Latest @vvb2060 Magisk Alpha build (July 29, 2021) changelog:​

Chinese Translated:

alpha update log​

Magisk (1eb83ad8-alpha-30)​

• Based on 1eb83ad8, please refer to the upstream update log for related modifications
    • Properly process any data from magiskd
    • Support SharedUserId
    • Delete the backup file after restoring the boot image
    • Built-in current version update log
    • Use the local version when the stub cannot be downloaded, now Magisk can be used completely offline
    • Support bootimg v4 format
    • Support bootconfig
    • Detect /data/adb/magisk/ not updated and prompt to repair
    • Remove the disabled and pending deletion marks when upgrading the module, and it is not allowed to mark as pending deletion before restarting
    • Fix that it cannot be flashed in some TWRP
    • Listen to the PACKAGE_FULLY_REMOVED broadcast to remove completely uninstalled apps from magiskhide
    • Show modal waiting pop-up window when hiding/restore Magisk application
    • App adapted to Android 12
    • Android 12+ super user hides the screen overlay when the window pops up
    • For devices supported by the kernel, MagiskSU uses proprietary devpts to bypass some application detection
    • Rewrite MagiskSU's logic to open pty and delete extra sepolicy rules
    • Fix incorrect signal sending in MagiskHide
    • Add untrusted_app_30
    • Prompt that some devices do not load the module sepolicy problem
    • Add mount information to the log file
    • Fix the default shell path of busybox *
    • Support oplus.fstab for oppo series devices
    https://github.com/vvb2060/Magisk/b...0d886c64224/app/src/main/res/raw/changelog.md

*Nb. Change since last build on GitHub 1eb83ad8-alpha-27

My earlier notes:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85098469

Current notes:

Check 'earlier notes' for installation method / details.

Alpha build users won't yet see Update button notice in Magisk App for this build as VersionCode has (again) NOT changed from 23001.

I'm not sure if this behaviour will be addressed, but users will observe the 'Latest' and 'Installed' version suffix now differs.

Latest in GitHub magisk_files repo is 1eb83ad8-alpha-30

Latest available from Telegram group is
    1eb83ad8-alpha-30

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85229385

Nb. In Magisk Documentation, @vvb2060 has updated "Internal Details" and "Deployment" since John did.
    https://github.com/vvb2060/Magisk/tree/alpha/docs

🤠 PW
    I did the second, so I must be doing something else wrong
    I always do the first one first just to see if everything is okay with the patched boot image. It will boot up and you can check in magisk manager to see if rooted. Only lasts until next reboot. If everything okay go ahead and fastboot flash boot patched boot image.
    ... could someone please explain to me what is the advantage of changing sepolicy for viper? It's still not clear to me.

Also, is Legacy mode still needed with this fix? And can someone say if Legacy mode has any disadvantage?...
    Just sharing my setup: ViPER4Android FX 2.7.1.6 (2716) w/ 2.5.0.4 driver on custom rom AICP 16.1 of 7-july (Android 11).

I don't see the setting for Legacy mode. Driver Status is Normal. Compatibility mode does nothing for me as well. My rom has selinux permissive atm.
    mmm. But it works out-of-the-box for me after setting Legacy mode, disabling then re-enabling module (2 reboots) as described... 🤔

Seems everyone needs Legacy mode though, but also seems to me no SELinux policy change is needed to reset the driver for this mode...

Has anyone else here tried resetting / fixing just by turning module off, then on again? ... Perhaps I'm missing something. PW
    This way with SEPolicy rules in the script has advantage for me when updating my Xiaomi.eu weekly ROMs:

- Without, I had to go through the procedure with disabling, re-enabling V4A, maybe also AML (it was described in my post I mentioned), then reconfiguring again V4A app (its settings)

- However, upon I added SEPolicy rules section to the script, I can simply install the zip with new ROM, flash its boot.img (prepared in advance) patched by Magisk (flashing one after another in TWRP) , then I reboot and everything (incl. Viper4Android) works out of the box
    sow -- female pig that has reproduced?
    sow -- plant seeds?
    Maybe (translation) what we called 'rapid fire' (day after day updates).
    But then I don't understand where was the 'sow' problem with 29 🤓

Latest @vvb2060 Magisk Alpha build (July 18, 2021) changelog:​

Chinese Translated:

alpha update log​

Magisk (1eb83ad8-alpha-19)​

• Based on 1eb83ad8, please refer to the upstream update log for related modifications
    • Support SharedUserId
    • Use the local version when the stub cannot be downloaded, now Magisk can be used completely offline
    • Support bootconfig
    • Remove the disabled and pending deletion marks when upgrading the module, and it is not allowed to mark as pending deletion before restarting
    • Modify the search order of the module sepolicy location and fix the problem that some devices do not load the module sepolicy
    • Listen to the PACKAGE_FULLY_REMOVED broadcast to remove completely uninstalled apps from magiskhide
    • Display a modal waiting pop-up window when hiding/restore the Magisk application
    Edit: The following are new commits:
    https://github.com/vvb2060/Magisk/b...73bce50fe5e/app/src/main/res/raw/changelog.md

My earlier notes:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85098469

Current notes:

magisk_files repo is now updated! Check 'earlier notes' for installation method / details.

Alpha build users won't yet see Update button notice in Magisk App for this build as VersionCode has (again) NOT changed from 23001.

I'm not sure if this behaviour will be addressed, but users will observe the 'Latest' version (1eb83ad8-alpha-19) now differs from 'Installed' (1eb83ad8-alpha).

Package is now also uploaded to Telegram group.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85229385

Interestingly, in Magisk Documentation, @vvb2060 has updated "Internal Details" and "Deployment" since John did.

😛 PW
    reddit link shared by John Wu:
    reddit post

Especially interesting a comment by the leader of the Android Security team:
    (I lead the Android Hardware-backed security team, so while this response isn't official, it's informed. Do keep in mind that I am a programmer, not a lawyer, and I have not consulted with legal, so don't rely on this as any sort of legal advice. Nor did I run this by PR, so if I put my foot in my mouth, it's totally on me. This is not an official Google communication, and I may get my hand slapped for it. Probably not, but it's happened to me in the past :) ).

I know of no legal issues here. AFAIK, you're free to do what you like with your device. Doing these sorts of things may invalidate your warranty, depending on the details, but I'm guessing you already know that and have decided you're fine with it.

What I do know is that if you've found a vulnerability, Google would not only like to hear about it, Google may pay you for it. If you're compromising the TEE or kernel on a Pixel device, the reward could be up to $250,000. If you're compromising the Titan M, up to $1,000,000. Even if your current exploit isn't on a Pixel device, if you can make it work on a Pixel you would qualify. Alternatively, your device manufacturer may have their own bug bounty program and you should look.

Obviously, if you report the vuln, what we're going to do is to fix it, so you'll lose your SafetyNet bypass. The same will happen if you publish it for others to use. Vulnerabilities that allow SafetyNet bypass typically compromise far more than just SafetyNet, which is why Google is willing to pay so much money to identify and fix them. Also, we really believe that app developers should be able to find out if they're running on a "stock" device, with all of the security and functionality guarantees that implies, so fixing SafetyNet bypasses is important in and of itself.

It's not that we don't like custom ROMs or rooting, in fact we find a lot of the innovation that takes place in the community very interesting and eagerly adopt good ideas we find there, but our primary focus is on protecting the 99.9% of Android users who run stock Android, and the developers who serve them. It's an unfortunate but unavoidable reality that this sometimes disadvantages ROM users. I, personally, have been holding regular meetings with various leaders in the modding community for seven years now, to get their feedback and to give them a heads up on security features we implement that might pose problems for them. My goals are to both serve the main Android userbase of some 3B people and to avoid harming the modding community. Sadly, sometimes those goals conflict, and the modders obviously lose in those cases.

I also want to address the comments about John Wu joining Google. He is perfectly capable of communicating his own intentions and goals so I won't try to do that. I'll just say that I have no interest in shutting down Magisk. To the degree that it enables people to bypass Android security guarantees, that just shows that we have work to do, indeed it helps us to identify where we need to do that work. It's not like Magisk can somehow create vulnerabilities (it's not magic). If vulns exist, they're certain to be found and exploited by people with nefarious goals, so it's better for everyone if there's a healthy "white hat" community focused on finding problems and reporting or publishing them. I see the Magisk community as part of that white hat community, and John as a valuable contributor to Android security even before he started working for Google.
    @pndwal and @ipdev

I saw you guys did some testing on the mysterious reinstallation of an uninstalled Magisk app on a reboot. I present you with the changelog for Magisk v16.6:
    [Daemon] Check whether a valid Magisk Manager is installed on boot, if not, install stub APK embedded in magiskinit
    :p
    Tried using https://raw.githubusercontent.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/canary/app-debug.apk after it was already rooted with Magisk, but adb said [INSTALL_FAILED_VERSION_DOWNGRADE]
    Just use Magisk/Canary button on Magisk GitHub home page to get app. Opens
    This is latest 23001

Nb. Your link (where did you get that??) is to latest Canary in old archived magisk_files repo (note '_', not '-') so it's fetching 22003, ie. you would be trying to downgrade from 23000, and to downgrade you need to uninstall 23000 first, as with any app downgrade. 😜

Nb. Regular app installation from device should work fine, then Direct install to update (or downgrade) Magisk should be available / work.
    Well golly, the whole reason I was trying to use canary was to file a bug report, but if nobody is maintaining it, then there's no point. Thanks for letting me know!
    Wouldn't say no point however.

Magisk contributors (there are 201) like @osmosis (especially) and @vvb2060 are still distilling / fixing issues, and responding to many issues, as are other informed / experienced users. Many workarounds / non-integrated solutions have been supplied.

Further, as has been noted, many fixes from topjohnwu Magisk Issues have been incorporated in vvb2060's Alpha builds (seems these go back at least to Dec 2018. Archived builds from Dec 2020 are available on his GitHub & Telegram) before merging in John Wu's.

I doubt this will change, and vvb2060 has produced several builds since John's last ones already! This is the beauty of such an open source project. Links, latest etc:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85226785

It would be a misunderstanding to say only John is supplying fixes for Magisk Issues, just as he is not (any longer at least) its sole developer!
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85127113

Nb. John already pretty much turned over current App design / fixes to @diareuse so he could concentrate on Magisk Mask itself:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-83637567

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-83771409

Clearly the issue of official builds continuing (in present form or other) is up-in-the-air atm, but a healthy / active / interested community still exists. 🙂 PW

Early Notice:​

Latest @vvb2060 Magisk Alpha build (July 23, 2021) changelog:​

Skipped a few due to rapid-fire! (This guy's a bit like Jorrit!)

Chinese Translated:

alpha update log​

Magisk (1eb83ad8-alpha-23)​

• Support SharedUserId
    • Support bootconfig
    • Modify the search order of the module sepolicy location and fix the problem that some devices do not load the module sepolicy
    • Display the modal waiting pop-up window when hiding/restore the Magisk application
    Edit: New changes since 1eb83ad8-alpha-19
    • For devices supported by the kernel, MagiskSU uses proprietary devpts to bypass some application detection
    • Rewrite MagiskSU's pty opening logic, no additional sepolicy rules are needed
    • Fix incorrect signal sending in MagiskHide
    • Add untrusted_app_30
    https://github.com/vvb2060/Magisk/b...e147e578c92/app/src/main/res/raw/changelog.md

My earlier notes:

Current notes:

Check 'earlier notes' for installation method / details.

I'm not sure if this behaviour will be addressed, but users will observe the 'Latest' and 'Installed' version suffix now differs.

This build has not been uploaded at the time of this post. Watch this space!

Latest in GitHub magisk_files repo is 1eb83ad8-alpha-20

Latest available from Telegram group is
    1eb83ad8-alpha-22

Interestingly, in Magisk Documentation, @vvb2060 has updated "Internal Details" and "Deployment" since John did.

🤠 PW
    This is the place for general support and discussion regarding "Public Releases", which includes both stable and beta releases.
    All information, including troubleshoot guides and notes, are in the Announcement Thread
    Hello, I haven't given much support on XDA lately. It can be resulted from
    • University started and I have limited free time. In fact, I mostly develop during midnight
    • I live in Taiwan, which has large time zone differences between my European/American contributors/testers, which usually forces me to stay up late at night to discuss/test stuffs.
    • The new version is about to come, I don't want to spend effort on supporting old releases
    The planned update is delayed again and again, to some point I think I'll shed some light about what has been happening lately, also along with some announcements.

New Forum!
    As you might have already discovered, Magisk got its own subforum on XDA! Many thanks to all the support you gave me, and much more information/features/support is about to come!
    **For developers supporting all the devices that are not using standard Android boot format, feel free to create threads in this section (actually, PLEASE do so) for your favorite devices after v7 is out. As I currently know, Asus devices require signing the boot image before flashing, and is model dependant; Sony devices seems to use ELF kernel that is unpatchable, or some has two ramdisks (inner + outer), both requires different workarounds; LG bootloader locked devices has to manually "BUMP" the boot image after flashing Magisk..... and there may be lots of other crazy boot image formats that haven't come up to my attention yet.
    It is impossible for me to support all these non-standard boot images, and I hope the community can collaborate to make Magisk running across all the devices. Overall, community collaboration is what XDA about :D

The Pixel Phone
    Some of you might already know this news, that the next Pixel Phone right around the corner seems like it does not have ramdisk in boot image, which pretty much wrecked Magisk in all ways. However, it pretty much doomed root itself too. Kernel modifications is inevitable IMO, so I'll try to migrate my scripts to C programs that could possibly be included into the kernel itself. Note that I'm not familiar with linux kernel, I'm not even sure if my idea and concept is correct or not. But once the device is available, I think developers will find a way to bypass all the difficulties, and I'll do my best to learn things ;)

Current Progress
    In the past month, I've spent quite some time learning SELinux, so that I can avoid using SuperSU's sepolicy patches. Thanks to the helps and tips from @phhusson and @Chainfire, I finally have a much clearer understanding of how SELinux works. The Magisk core parts (the scripts, boot image patches, new features, more supports) are actually done some time ago. What is causing all the delays is the Magisk Manager.
    To be completely honest, although I can code in Java without much issues, Magisk Manager is actually my first Android application, I had to reach out for assistance, and fortunately awesome developers like @DVDandroid and @digitalhigh contributed a lot, which makes the current Manager awesome.
    After the repo system and module management is mostly done, I was about to do some adjustments and release, but what we really done is decided to add another feature: auto-unroot with per-app settings. I decided to wait for it to be finished, and then do my adjustments. Due to reasons that'll be mentioned later, this feature will likely not be available for the next release (should come in future updates)

Safety Net Disaster
    Those who are using Magisk for Safety Net bypass purposes must have known that Google recently updated the detection method of my Systemless Xposed. I still have no idea what Safety Net is detecting, so currently I cannot fix it on my side (also because I'm busy working on the next update). However, suhide developed by @Chainfire is able to hide Xposed and worked fine.
    However, only my Systemless Xposed v86.2, which is based on SuperSU's su.d, is supported using that method. v86.2 and v86.5 (latest, Magisk based) have nearly identical binaries, and the only difference is the path where the binaries are stored.
    I'm still not sure what's the real issue for it not being supported, I just hope it is not done intentionally.

Conclusion
    Due to the fact that my Safety Net bypass is not 100% perfect now, I do not want to spend any more time waiting for auto-unroot to be polished. What I'm doing now is finishing up all the things I'd like to change in Magisk Manager (it has been a while since I last contributed to Manager, my fellow developers are doing all the heavy job), which might take a little more time, after that, packed with tons of information to be announced in Magisk Section, I'll release the long awaited update.

Hope this lengthy post gives you the idea of the whole situation, and again thanks for all your support!!
    Ah, some Chainfire bashing, I hope it is not too late for me to exercise additional villainy.

First, let me make clear I have nothing against @topjohnwu, nor against Magisk. Magisk is an interesting project and it certainly displays @topjohnwu ingenuity and persistence. I don't doubt we will see more interesting things from his hands.

-------------------------

What has happened here is not all that dark and complicated, from either end. I returned from holidays, and someone pointed me at Magisk. My first thought: interesting!

Among other things, the thread lists some issues with SuperSU, which in combination with the phrase The developer also requests users to not bug Chainfire with compatibility requests for SuperSU with Magisk from the portal article, raised my left eyebrow by nigh half an inch. The popular systemless xposed mod is apparently now based on it, and apparently it now no longer works with SuperSU, and apparently I'm not supposed to fix that, nor any of the other found issues. I found that a bit weird. So yes, I have told @topjohnwu that I was a bit surprised he was posting about issues with SuperSU without notifying me about them (I can't fix or help fix issues I'm not aware of, after all).

He's also spreading a modified version of the SuperSU package, which is not all that uncommon, nor necessarily a problem. I have not looked into what he modified, I only ran a few quick tests on one of my devices, and found some commonly used commands run as root to be broken. I have informed him of this as well.

It appears the tool of choice for Magisk is phh's Superuser, because of some of the mentioned issues with SuperSU. That's fine by itself, but fixing issues in that superuser by incorporating SuperSU's binaries into it is a somewhat questionable practise. After all, SuperSU is a commercial closed-source package that helps pay for my dinner, and superuser is a direct competitor. I have informed him that I was surprised he did this without asking for permission. I have expressed similar surprise on him spreading a modified version of LiveBoot (which helps pay for a snack now and then).
    @topjohnwu has also stated that Magisk's scripts are largely influenced by mine (I have not checked). Scripts based on mine are used all over the place on XDA, some people have crafted amazing things based on them, I have never made an issue of this (otherwise I would have just made them binaries). But yes, I have also stated to him that I don't think it's very nice to base something on one program, and then using that to (almost exclusively) push something directly competing with that program.

tl;dr Towards @topjohnwu, I have:
    - expressed surprise he has issues getting Magisk to work with SuperSU, and has chosen not to inform me about those
    - expressed surprise he is using SuperSU binaries in a competing superuser without permission
    - expressed surprise he is posting a modified LiveBoot without permission
    - informed him of issues with the modified SuperSU he has posted
    - let him know I thought it wasn't very nice to be applying my scripts to benefit seemingly exclusively that same competing superuser

To be crystal clear:
    - I have not asked for an apology
    - I have not asked for Magisk to be abandoned, neither the root hiding nor systemless module parts, and certainly not systemless xposed
    - I have not made an issue of any of this anywhere, until this post
    - I have not even specifically asked for anything to be taken down (though obviously in my opinion the other superuser package mixed with SuperSU's binaries, as well as the LiveBoot package, should go)
    - I have not reported this thread to XDA moderators for copyright violations or otherwise

While my conversation with @topjohnwu may not win any awards for being friendly (though it may win some for brevity), I think all things considered my response has been rather mild. To be perfectly honest, until the apology post, I thought this was over with already. I think the apology post was triggered because I haven't replied to his last PM for a while - I was in the zone, it happens.

To emphasize again, I have nothing against @topjohnwu, Magisk, or systemless xposed, and it is certainly not my goal to see any of them go. If it can be made to work together with SuperSU, great.

I get it though: you think of something, you want to see if you can make it work, you finally get it to work, you publish it, it takes off - enthusiasm gets the better of you. Maybe in the rush some mistakes are made. That doesn't mean you have to just drop it and run. None of my stuff would make it past 0.1 if I stopped at the first big mistake :)

Aside from said being in the zone coding, I usually regret actually responding to these sort of things the day after, which has made me hesitant to reply. Surprise me.
    Thread temporarily closed so everyone sees this.

The flood of "SafetyNet isn't working for me either!" posts are not helpful, at all. Please refrain from posting further, it will be looked into. Please do not forget that not passing SafetyNet is 100% NORMAL AND INTENDED when you have an unlocked booloader or running custom firmware. These are workarounds and they will be worked around in turn.

The Flash
    Forum Moderator

EDIT: Thread is reopened... I will be cleaning any SafetyNet posts for a while to keep the thread clean for real issues.
    Hello everyone!

I am aware that Google has updated Safety Net that makes Magisk itself a no go for Android Pay. In fact, I witnessed the change live while I am developing the new magiskhide, which should hide all Magisk modules and Magisk installed root.

Google is serious about Safety Net now, clearly hunting down all possibility to run Xposed with Safety Net passed. I spend quite some time examining the new security measures last midnight, and fortunately it seems that it is possible to run Magisk and root along with Safety Net if no Xposed is running. I'm glad I removed the old root toggle at the right time lol, that is no longer feasible with the latest detection.

So stay tuned for the next update, it will come with bug fixes, along with the new magiskhide to bypass that Safety Net.

Google, how will a few systemless mods do any harm :p:p