Magisk General Support / Discussion

anantharam

Apr 6, 2013
Holy crap.. everything universal with support for extensions. This platform could be the beginning of a new era in mods. @topjohnwu amazing work. Don't want to be rude, but personally I think the name of the project is not as awesome as the project itself. "Magisk" sounds a bit cheesy.. :silly:
Do you have any other better option for a name?
I guess the intention was to make it easily Googlable by using a lesser known word.

Reactions: 2ISAB

StephenSpig

Apr 23, 2013
Baltimore, MD
So just to clarify...

I have successfully re-flashed the boot image for my ROM (Stock, pre-systemless-rooted for LG V10), which removed SuperSu, I flashed the V1 and then the phh's SuperUser mod, and have confirmed that both root is present, and that I passed a SafetyNet check...

In order to regain xposed, do I simply re-flash the latest systemless Xposed?

Thanks!

stangri

Dec 19, 2009
Burnaby
Kudos to @topjohnwu.

Q1: Can the new "Nexus Launcher" be magisk-ized so I can try it with the proper GNow support without modifying my /system?
Q2: I've looked inside the zips, there are only arm and x86 files, does it mean amr64 isn't supported or is it covered by the arm files?

Again, thanks for brilliant thinking/coding.

topjohnwu

Senior Recognized Developer / Recognized Contribut
Jan 31, 2012
Taipei
Oh wowww. Thanks!!
Error in the thread title: 2015.8.4
Thanks, title changed

AMAZING!, now to be sure, if i have a rom and want to integrate Magisk, the correct order of flashing is:

1-rom
2-magisk
3-modded su (magisk compatible)

it's that the way?
Yes, you might want to include phh's root app to prevent confusion.

Stuck at boot screen on the S7 Exynos variant, is this just for stock Android or did i do something wrong? I flashed the Magisk v1 then the phh root zip now im stuck at the boot screen ?
Could you give more info? Boot logcat etc?

So wait, before i get excited this means things like viper4android can be installed without messing with system?
Yes, I can take a look at it. It should be simple to implement :)

@topjohnwu this new "magisk" method. It doesn't allow Android Pay to work on custom roms like CyanogenMod does it? If I remove SU from CyanogenMod and use your root.
I don't use CM roms myself. If you can remove root completely from the PATH, you can take advantage of the Android Pay compatible feature of Magisk

Is there a Uninstaller here as well? Seems like it isn't just a apk file to install

Sent from my OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk
I already stated the method to uninstall Magisk in the instructions. It is simple, and I don't think it requires an uninstaller.

So just to clarify...

I have successfully re-flashed the boot image for my ROM (Stock, pre-systemless-rooted for LG V10), which removed SuperSu, I flashed the V1 and then the phh's SuperUser mod, and have confirmed that both root is present, and that I passed a SafetyNet check...

In order to regain xposed, do I simply re-flash the latest systemless Xposed?

Thanks!
Yes, flash v86.3 in my systemless Xposed thread. It is Magisk compatible (actually only works with Magisk)

Kudos to @topjohnwu.

Q1: Can the new "Nexus Launcher" be magisk-ized so I can try it with the proper GNow support without modifying my /system?
Q2: I've looked inside the zips, there are only arm and x86 files, does it mean amr64 isn't supported or is it covered by the arm files?

Again, thanks for brilliant thinking/coding.
1. Anything is possible :)
2. 32 bit binaries will work on 64 bit systems.

So... Everything is working fine... Except that I can't figure out how to get xposed back...
Just flash the systemless xposed zip. It is shat simple

If I want to update or change BusyBox how do I do this? Seems it's installed to /data/busybox/busybox
This busybox is complete with key features used in Magisk, I think it is good enough

bumpaneer

Sep 28, 2015
I'm stuck with bootloops on a HTC One M9 developer edition. The log file appears to show a clean install. I have attempted to gather a logcat, but the phone doesn't seem to make it far enough into the boot cycle for adb to connect. I'm not sure how else to gather any logs that may be helpful.

N00dle

Feb 13, 2007
So I removed super SU. Uninstalled Xposed installer, flashed through TWRP Magisk, flashed phh, then flashed Xposed from this thread.

Magisk opens but then then when I try and use the toggles to turn off root to try and use Android Pay it doesn't work and can't turn root back on?

Confused

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

intruder16

Jul 5, 2013
Pune
If i understand correctly, after flashing Magisk, if i want a custom rom, then that custom rom must have Magisk support built-in?
No. Read again. It should work on custom roms as long as they don't have their own superuser like CM. Most of them won't support AP anyway. You can try removing built in su and flashing Magisk.

ianmacd

Jan 5, 2016
Amsterdam
localhost
  • Recommended: 100% stock system + boot
  • If you have systemless SuperSU, phh's root, v85.x Systemless Xposed by me, or romracer's Systemless Xposed (or anything that modifies ramdisk) installed, please restore your boot image back to stock boot image
  • If the requirements above are not met, you can still install Magisk, but features have high chance not to work 100% (especially Android Pay compatibility)
  • After all is done, you can now download Magisk and flash to your device.
  • To remove Magisk, restore your boot image back (Magisk will backup your boot image automatically in /data/stock_boot(md5).img.gz), then delete /data/magisk.img. Super simple and clean, no traces will leftover.

@topjohnwu, a question for you:

I'm running systemless SuperSU (2.76) and systemless Xposed (86.2). I have no TWRP on my S7 Edge, so I usually root with CF Auto Root and then do everything else with FlashFire. Obviously, if I follow the instructions above, that's not possible. I would return my device to its standard firmware and then have no way to flash the Magisk ZIP, the SuperSU ZIP or anything else.

So, what would happen if I simply used FlashFire to live-flash Magisk onto my current system? One concern is that that would leave me still running an unmodified SuperSU 2.76, and I have no idea if that's compatible with Magisk. I realise you provide a modified version of SuperSU, but it's unclear -- even after reading everything -- whether its use is optional or compulsory.

I couldn't care less about Android Pay, so all I want to do is continue to use systemless Xposed in the future and reap the other benefits that Magisk has to offer. What is the best way to accomplish that without TWRP?

Thanks in advance.