• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Magisk General Support / Discussion

Search This thread

xdarasc

Nov 13, 2017
You have missed the thread.
This one is about Magisk, not about WebView or adb debloating

Thank you, dear!
Nice, decent, people like you are always a pleasure to deal with, make up the heart of a welcoming community!

But I haven't: Magisk (20418) is dealing with my files in a manner that I cannot edit files in place. A question "Which file do I have to edit (in a Magisk 20418 environment) to make permanent changes to /a/b/c/d.xml ist clearly a Magisk-related question.

Have a great day, dear fried!

Thank you, dear!
Nice, decent, people like you are always a pleasure to deal with, make up the heart of a welcoming community!

But I haven't: Magisk (20418) is dealing with my files in a manner that I cannot edit files in place. A question "Which file do I have to edit (in a Magisk 20418 environment) to make permanent changes to /a/b/c/d.xml ist clearly a Magisk-related question.

You either may edit a overlay (in /data/adb/modules/any-name/system/ or edit the file in filemanager of TWRP.
You may also flash your ROM again (dirty flashing should be enough).

Reactions: xdarasc

ms_office_95

Nov 2, 2019
RIP
My bank doesnt even care about root only the Google Pay portion.
McDonalds on the other hand nope cant have rooted Big Macs
Hardware level for me.. Samsung Note 9 (SM-N9600) Snapdragon

pndwal

Interesting ZDNet article re EncroChat criminal encrypted chat use. Didn't see connection with dual boot phones, but I'm guessing these were issued to subscribers?

Of course, my query is whether there is any potential for a phone to boot both stock ROM with locked bootloader, and a custom OS with SU privileges / rooted (using dual bootloaders or other mechanism) in order to satisfy Googles security model and allow users to have an environment for apps requiring SafetyNet pass, as well as an OS with root privileges granted on the one device. It had no relation to encryption use or misuse, either end to end, or on device. But thanks for the info. :good: PW

Edit: Googling 'aquaris bq dual boot' turns up info re forensic investigation of these devices w/ dual OSs, one requiring special key combo to boot, and the other apparently a 'cover' to hide the existence of the first. As one investigator said, "something stinks", despite being unable to get past lock at that point... Interesting, if OT.

Last edited:
Reactions: dr4go

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Thank you, dear!

Thank you, you are indeed nice and polite.
I don't see how is it Magisk fault but anyway

- If you debloated by ADB, you can try to re-enable it. Depending on did you disable or uninstall WebView for default user, one of the two adb commands should work:
>> adb shell pm enable com.google.android.webview
or
>> adb shell cmd package install-existing com.google.android.webview

- If you debloated by some other tool/method, ask its developer how to revert (usually they don't care and will point you to their termonuclear war disclaimer).
People tend to debloat apps and services not knowing what for are they used by system or other apps

- There was a Magisk module for disabling WebWiew. Not only that it caused me a bootloop when I tried long ago, but uninstalling the module did not reinstall WebWiew (but that is not Magisk fault) - I had to 'update' my firmware to get the WebView back

- Data partition is not restricted by SAR, but system maybe overwrites/updates the given XML file on boot, and thus you loose your manual changes

Btw, you can try to install/update Android System WebView from Playstore or ApkMirror (it will install as user app, not the system app, but it should work)

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Interesting ZDNet article re EncroChat criminal encrypted chat use. Didn't see connection with dual boot phones...
First link was wrong and I have corrected in the mean-time to:
https://news.sky.com/story/encrocha...criminals-get-their-encrypted-phones-12019678

I was also not sure what dual-boot had with (criminals used that 'criminal' boot for their criminal activities) but it was described in those or other related articles: normal boot served to avoid suspicion if they had to give the phone to an officer for inspection

Btw, their 'business' boot seems it was developed on Ubuntu, being fully Google-free

pndwal

First link was wrong and I have corrected in the mean-time to:
https://news.sky.com/story/encrocha...criminals-get-their-encrypted-phones-12019678

I was also not sure what dual-boot had with (criminals used that 'criminal' boot for their criminal activities) but it was described in those or other related articles: normal boot served to avoid suspicion if they had to give the phone to an officer for inspection
Yes, I gathered /read that after googled your terms. See my last post edit (at end). Will check your sky news link too.
Btw, their 'business' boot seems it was developed on Ubuntu, being fully Google-free
Interesting... PW

Edit: Sky News article is interesting too...The dual boot devices seem relatively old however.

Not sure if new partition regimes (dynamic) lend themselves to dual bootloaders also, for our purposes.

Last edited:

xdarasc

Nov 13, 2017
>> adb shell pm enable com.google.android.webview
>> adb shell cmd package install-existing com.google.android.webview
Thank you!
These methods fail same as replacing (or vi-ing) the file - they don't survive a reboot

you can try to install/update Android System WebView from Playstore or ApkMirror (it will install as user app, not the system app, but it should work)
This fails bc. tha app is "disabled" - so no [INSTALL]-button.

So, unfortunately, the actual question remains:
How to edit or replace a file in the /data/system path (and subfolders) after booting into a Magisk-ed Android Pie (so that the change survives a reboot)?

I've got some Linux-CL experience - so any working procedure is welcome.

P.S. I've got the standard boot loader, can't (don't like to) install TWRP bc that required a different kernel (my device uses dm-verity).

edit: P.P.S. I used Titanium Backup to freeze it. But actually it's really just to edit that single file - if Magisk only let me ;)

Last edited:

akhil093

Jun 22, 2013
Los Angeles C.A
One interesting thing I noticed, magisk hide doing it's job greatly. Cts failing due to hardware backed attestation but banking apps still working "as long as they are included in magisk hide list". I tried removing them from magisk hide list and those apps knows safteynet status that it's failing and they refuse to work but once I put them in magisk hide list, they works. I guess magisk hides is a kind of another layer of "security" for us which hides root status from all apps even if safteynet fails (though it can't hide that from google play services itself). I wonder if in coming days, these apps will still works under "magisk hide" or as some people saying google will flick some kind of switch that will expose our status even for apps under magisk hide.

bunklung

Mar 20, 2011
Response from the second phone will not match the challenge from the first.
The method is by far from being so primitive/easy to break

I'm not using GPay (and my banking app is not affected) hence I'm not that much concerned about, but once CTS Profile started to fail, soon I obtainef Device not certified in Playstore

It can take time to sync. If you want Device not certified faster, you can provoje it by deleting Data for Google Play Store and Services ?

If the devices goes uncertified, will apps stop working/updating?

Will we be able to apply for an exception here:
https://www.google.com/android/uncertified/

Reactions: HippoMan

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Thank you!
These methods fail same as replacing (or vi-ing) the file - they don't survive a reboot

This fails bc. tha app is "disabled" - so no [INSTALL]-button.

So, unfortunately, the actual question remains:
How to edit or replace a file in the /data/system path (and subfolders) after booting into a Magisk-ed Android Pie (so that the change survives a reboot)?

I've got some Linux-CL experience - so any working procedure is welcome.

P.S. I've got the standard boot loader, can't (don't like to) install TWRP bc that required a different kernel (my device uses dm-verity).

edit: P.P.S. I used Titanium Backup to freeze it. But actually it's really just to edit that single file - if Magisk only let me ;)
I have SAR Android 10, Magisk, and Hiper Scientific Calc app installed.
With MiXPlorer I made a copy package-restrictions.bak, and in the original package-restrictions.xml changed the line:
<pkg name="cz.hipercalc" ceDataInode="9136" />

to:
<pkg name="cz.hipercalc" ceDataInode="9136" inst="false" stopped="true" nl="true" />

When I rebooted the bak file was still in /data/system/users/0 as well as the xml file with my change!!!

And indeed, the application HiperCalc (calculator from Playstore) was lost from the home screen and app drawer as well as from Settings/Apps - just like if I would have used ADB:
>> adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 cz.hipercalc

Then I removed xml file with my change, and renamed the bak copy to xml and rebooted

Then I edited the xml file to made a change:
<pkg name="cz.hipercalc" ceDataInode="9136" inst="true" stopped="false" nl="false" />

Rebooted and Hiper Scientific Calc was again present in the drawer (I had to put it back also th Home screen)

Interestingly, when I opened xml I found that the line was auto-corrected to the original form (un-needed three attributes with default values removed):
<pkg name="cz.hipercalc" ceDataInode="9136" />

All in all, changes properly survive reboot and HiperCalc was 'reinstalled/uninstalled' accordingly

IMO, you either made a mistake while editing, or something is wrong with your root explorer/editor or Titanium made more changes making the WebView not available

You can try all without Titanium, for some other app, and by using MiXPlorer

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

If the devices goes uncertified, will apps stop working/updating?

Will we be able to apply for an exception here:
https://www.google.com/android/uncertified/
User certification (if still available) applies to custom ROMs - if you have one, you can try

Stock ROMs must be certified by vendors. But I don't see it could help, CTS is failing due to hardware attestation finding bootloader unlocked

Eg, I have regular stock firmware, certified (hence Basic Integrity passing), but since of the recent change on Google side, CTS is failing

JudgeDread11

Aug 17, 2014
Ao Nang, Krabi
One interesting thing I noticed, magisk hide doing it's job greatly. Cts failing due to hardware backed attestation but banking apps still working "as long as they are included in magisk hide list". I tried removing them from magisk hide list and those apps knows safteynet status that it's failing and they refuse to work but once I put them in magisk hide list, they works. I guess magisk hides is a kind of another layer of "security" for us which hides root status from all apps even if safteynet fails (though it can't hide that from google play services itself). I wonder if in coming days, these apps will still works under "magisk hide" or as some people saying google will flick some kind of switch that will expose our status even for apps under magisk hide.
It depends on what the app looks for.
If they don't use safety net and just look for root then Magisk will be able to hide that. But if the app uses safety net Magisk won't be able to hide it.
My banking app doesn't use safety net and only checks for root. I have no been paying safety net for a long time, before it's was hardware backed. But my banking app just works.

xdarasc

Nov 13, 2017
You can try all without Titanium, for some other app, and by using MiXPlorer
Thank you again for your help and especially the time you invested!

I tried Titanium, SD-Maid and SystemSettings|App_Management to Defreeze by app as well as Total Commander to replace the file as well as 'vi' in shell to directly edit it. All to no success.

I tried this MiXPlorer - a nice one (especially allowed editing, what TC doesn't). Unfortunately to no success.

So yeah, maybe my system is ****ed up (though it's a stock Xiaomi that I only Magisk-ed).
Anyway: Many thanks for your tries to help!

papoy1019

Jan 19, 2018
Anybody has the same problem with me? I wanted to hide magisk manager, but it says it failed. Im on android 10 miui. Canary build by the way.

Any workaround?

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
So yeah, maybe my system is ****ed up (though it's a stock Xiaomi that I only Magisk-ed).
Strange, mine is also Xiaomi (Mi 9T), stock MIUI 11 (global-eu), with Canary Magisk

NP, I just learnt how adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 ... reflects to /data/system/users/0/package-restrictions.xml

I'd similarly like to learn how/where to adb shell pm disable-user ... makes its changes

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

Anybody has the same problem with me? I wanted to hide magisk manager, but it says it failed. Im on android 10 miui. Canary build by the way.

Any workaround?
You disabled Play Protect before hiding (you can re-enable later)?

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
Thank you again for your help and especially the time you invested!

I tried Titanium, SD-Maid and SystemSettings|App_Management to Defreeze by app as well as Total Commander to replace the file as well as 'vi' in shell to directly edit it. All to no success.

I tried this MiXPlorer - a nice one (especially allowed editing, what TC doesn't). Unfortunately to no success.

Does the way you edit leave a ".bak" file? @zgfg's experience *could* be explained by the file being reverted in the absence of a ".bak" file. (The automatic deletion of unnecessary attributes could also have been the complete reversion of the file.)

Magisk has some facility for running scripts during boot. If one of the options is between the /data filesystem being accessible, and the point at which this .xml file is processed, you might be able to squeeze in an update.

I have Android System WebView in my Apps, under Settings. It is labelled "disabled", with a grayed out "Enable" button, and an apparently available "Force stop" button. (I don't know what it is. I don't remember why I might have disabled it. I don't have the nerve to see what happens if I stop it.)

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Does the way you edit leave a ".bak" file? @zgfg's experience *could* be explained by the file being reverted in the absence of a ".bak" file. (The automatic deletion of unnecessary attributes could also have been the complete reversion of the file.)

Magisk has some facility for running scripts during boot. If one of the options is between the /data filesystem being accessible, and the point at which this .xml file is processed, you might be able to squeeze in an update.

I have Android System WebView in my Apps, under Settings. It is labelled "disabled", with a grayed out "Enable" button, and an apparently available "Force stop" button. (I don't know what it is. I don't remember why I might have disabled it. I don't have the nerve to see what happens if I stop it.)
Read my post, I first tested with making a bak file (where package was not disabled) and making a change in xml file, rebooting kept both xml and bak exactly as I left them (different one to another) before rebooting

Later I moved bak to Internal mem, Download and tested more - leaving bak file or not on Data did not matter for my results

Top Liked Posts

I just upgraded my Samsung Galaxy Note 10 from Android 10 to Android 11. After that, I have a problem with Magisk. The Magisk is not installed anymore.

At Android 10 I had to boot with keys combination (power + volume up). This combination does not work anymore.

What did I miss ? Help, please.

View attachment 5375053
    Assuming you have installed Android to recovery again you will actually still have root, but will need to boot via recovery as before.

You need recovery key combo and updated method.

Key combo is likely Power + Bixby + Volume Up or similar, but update to One UI 3.0 additionally requires user to plug in a USB-C data cable connected to PC, or USB-C earphones. 😉

Be sure to release keys immediately on vibration / splash screen as before.

Many articles on this change, eg
    https://www.androidsage.com/2020/12...ode-on-samsungs-one-ui-3-0-android-11-update/

🤠 PW
    I just upgraded my Samsung Galaxy Note 10 from Android 10 to Android 11. After that, I have a problem with Magisk. The Magisk is not installed anymore.

At Android 10 I had to boot with keys combination (power + volume up). This combination does not work anymore.

What did I miss ? Help, please.

View attachment 5375053
    You do not mention installing Magisk after "upgrading" to Android 11. Samsung probably replaced your boot and recovery partitions, so after the change to Android 11, there is no Magisk. Even if Samsung did not destroy your /data, so you still have a Magisk Manager app.

You may need to unlock your bootloader again. You may have been "upgraded" to a bootloader that does not allow unsigned images (Samsung's lawyers have a creative interpretation of the phrase "unlocked bootloader".) If you install Magisk again, it may try to use the modules you had installed, and they may not work with Android 11.
    Yes, thanks, for making it clear.

Further, I am aware that a number of systemless GApps packages exist. I didn't mention these as they were not applicable to the member's issue.

Users should be aware that there may be unexpected issues using such a systemless GApps package however.

For example Magisk Hide means Magisk unmounts modules to hide them, so, if I understand it correctly, when, say, Google Play services is called (opened), the GApps module itself will simultaneously be unmounted and the 'app' crashes. PW
    Sorry all for some OT. ;)

I was referring more to what is overlaid into system.
    mModule_sGapps [system] - GitHub - Link
    This is what a normal basic/core flashable GApps package installs into system.

Since I was only using it to test GSI(s), I only trimmed it down as much as I had time for.
    Could be trimmed down a bit more. ;)

---

I never ran into an issue when I was testing with mModule_sGapps active.
    I had a few things on deck to fix.
    I ran out of time to test GSI(s) and never looked into updating or fixing the small and big versions of mModule_sGapp. 🙃

Found my post in MHPC thread. Post # 3,594

The Caution note I added was to warn users about a mismatch and/or when the core is missing.
    This would be the same as updating a custom ROM (system) and GApps not being re-installed to system properly.
    The permissions are lost and/or the app (update) becomes a user-app instead of a system-app (different permissions).

Some times you can get away with it (debloating) but, you have to be careful for the same reason.
    Bootloop and/or an infinite boot.

Cheers. :cowboy:
    Sorry all for some OT. ;)

I was referring more to what is overlaid into system.
    mModule_sGapps [system] - GitHub - Link
    This is what a normal basic/core flashable GApps package installs into system.
    Yes, and I understood that (it demonstrates GApps setup well) / agree entirely / thank you for the extra clarity / insight! 😉

And while you weren't recommending using these systemless GApps, my comment was just a general caution to any considering doing so; just in case!
    I never ran into an issue when I was testing with mModule_sGapps active.
    Out of interest, did Google Apps and any other apps calling SafetyNet API (w MagiskHide on) work fine with your systemless GApps?... Any special considerations to make it work with MagiskHide?
    I had a few things on deck to fix.
    I ran out of time to test GSI(s) and never looked into updating or fixing the small and big versions of mModule_sGapp. 🙃

Found my post in MHPC thread. Post # 3,594

The Caution note I added was to warn users about a mismatch and/or when the core is missing.
    This would be the same as updating a custom ROM (system) and GApps not being re-installed to system properly.​
    The permissions are lost and/or the app (update) becomes a user-app instead of a system-app (different permissions).

Some times you can get away with it (debloating) but, you have to be careful for the same reason.
    Bootloop and/or an infinite boot.
    Yup, point taken too; core is in /system and may be corrupted / removed by a ROM update, debloating etc. Updated apps moved to /data and other data in /cache or /data may remain and cause issues if not manually / properly removed seperately.

Nb. I understand that this was meant to illustrate GApps installation in case of confusion.

It also demonstrates that original users problem caused by flashing Magisk-patched zip is NOT caused by such a corruption of core files or mismatch!
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85405923

I am assuming Magisk flash or settings (hide, etc) are the source of Play services access issue in this case, or somehow Play services data / cache got corruped (simply clearing these may have fixed installation).

👍 PW
    Hmm, bootloader is still unlocked. I tried to installed Magisk again at Android 11, but nothing happened.

How should I install Magisk again ? Can you describe or post a video, please.
    I do not have Android 11. I have Android 9 on an SM-T290 (tablet). When I installed Magisk, I used @topjohnwu's instructions, with a hiccup to further modify the patched file -- a workaround developed by @gcrutchr for my device. (So, I used Odin to flash the modifications.)

I don't think you should allow automatic updating.

You need to search this thread and your device thread to find out if Magisk can work with Android 11 on your device.

If Magisk is installed in recovery, you might have installed Magisk correctly. Try booting towards recovery a lot of times. It's a really finicky step.

Latest @vvb2060 Magisk Alpha build (July 18, 2021) changelog:​

Chinese Translated:

alpha update log​

Magisk (1eb83ad8-alpha-19)​

• Based on 1eb83ad8, please refer to the upstream update log for related modifications
    • Properly process any data from magiskd
    • Support SharedUserId
    • Delete the backup file after restoring the boot image
    • Built-in current version update log
    • Use the local version when the stub cannot be downloaded, now Magisk can be used completely offline
    • Support bootimg v4 format
    • Support bootconfig
    • Detect /data/adb/magisk/ not updated and prompt to repair
    • Remove the disabled and pending deletion marks when upgrading the module, and it is not allowed to mark as pending deletion before restarting
    • Fix that it cannot be flashed in some TWRP
    • Modify the search order of the module sepolicy location and fix the problem that some devices do not load the module sepolicy
    • Listen to the PACKAGE_FULLY_REMOVED broadcast to remove completely uninstalled apps from magiskhide
    • Display a modal waiting pop-up window when hiding/restore the Magisk application
    Edit: The following are new commits:
    • App adapted to Android 12
    • Android 12+ super user hides the screen overlay when the window pops up
    https://github.com/vvb2060/Magisk/b...73bce50fe5e/app/src/main/res/raw/changelog.md

My earlier notes:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85098469

Current notes:

magisk_files repo is now updated! Check 'earlier notes' for installation method / details.

Alpha build users won't yet see Update button notice in Magisk App for this build as VersionCode has (again) NOT changed from 23001.

I'm not sure if this behaviour will be addressed, but users will observe the 'Latest' version (1eb83ad8-alpha-19) now differs from 'Installed' (1eb83ad8-alpha).

Package is now also uploaded to Telegram group.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85229385

Interestingly, in Magisk Documentation, @vvb2060 has updated "Internal Details" and "Deployment" since John did.
    https://github.com/vvb2060/Magisk/tree/alpha/docs

😛 PW
    @pndwal and @ipdev

I saw you guys did some testing on the mysterious reinstallation of an uninstalled Magisk app on a reboot. I present you with the changelog for Magisk v16.6:
    [Daemon] Check whether a valid Magisk Manager is installed on boot, if not, install stub APK embedded in magiskinit
    :p
    reddit link shared by John Wu:
    reddit post

Especially interesting a comment by the leader of the Android Security team:
    (I lead the Android Hardware-backed security team, so while this response isn't official, it's informed. Do keep in mind that I am a programmer, not a lawyer, and I have not consulted with legal, so don't rely on this as any sort of legal advice. Nor did I run this by PR, so if I put my foot in my mouth, it's totally on me. This is not an official Google communication, and I may get my hand slapped for it. Probably not, but it's happened to me in the past :) ).

I know of no legal issues here. AFAIK, you're free to do what you like with your device. Doing these sorts of things may invalidate your warranty, depending on the details, but I'm guessing you already know that and have decided you're fine with it.

What I do know is that if you've found a vulnerability, Google would not only like to hear about it, Google may pay you for it. If you're compromising the TEE or kernel on a Pixel device, the reward could be up to $250,000. If you're compromising the Titan M, up to $1,000,000. Even if your current exploit isn't on a Pixel device, if you can make it work on a Pixel you would qualify. Alternatively, your device manufacturer may have their own bug bounty program and you should look.

Obviously, if you report the vuln, what we're going to do is to fix it, so you'll lose your SafetyNet bypass. The same will happen if you publish it for others to use. Vulnerabilities that allow SafetyNet bypass typically compromise far more than just SafetyNet, which is why Google is willing to pay so much money to identify and fix them. Also, we really believe that app developers should be able to find out if they're running on a "stock" device, with all of the security and functionality guarantees that implies, so fixing SafetyNet bypasses is important in and of itself.

It's not that we don't like custom ROMs or rooting, in fact we find a lot of the innovation that takes place in the community very interesting and eagerly adopt good ideas we find there, but our primary focus is on protecting the 99.9% of Android users who run stock Android, and the developers who serve them. It's an unfortunate but unavoidable reality that this sometimes disadvantages ROM users. I, personally, have been holding regular meetings with various leaders in the modding community for seven years now, to get their feedback and to give them a heads up on security features we implement that might pose problems for them. My goals are to both serve the main Android userbase of some 3B people and to avoid harming the modding community. Sadly, sometimes those goals conflict, and the modders obviously lose in those cases.

I also want to address the comments about John Wu joining Google. He is perfectly capable of communicating his own intentions and goals so I won't try to do that. I'll just say that I have no interest in shutting down Magisk. To the degree that it enables people to bypass Android security guarantees, that just shows that we have work to do, indeed it helps us to identify where we need to do that work. It's not like Magisk can somehow create vulnerabilities (it's not magic). If vulns exist, they're certain to be found and exploited by people with nefarious goals, so it's better for everyone if there's a healthy "white hat" community focused on finding problems and reporting or publishing them. I see the Magisk community as part of that white hat community, and John as a valuable contributor to Android security even before he started working for Google.
    Tried using https://raw.githubusercontent.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/canary/app-debug.apk after it was already rooted with Magisk, but adb said [INSTALL_FAILED_VERSION_DOWNGRADE]
    Just use Magisk/Canary button on Magisk GitHub home page to get app. Opens
    This is latest 23001

Nb. Your link (where did you get that??) is to latest Canary in old archived magisk_files repo (note '_', not '-') so it's fetching 22003, ie. you would be trying to downgrade from 23000, and to downgrade you need to uninstall 23000 first, as with any app downgrade. 😜

Nb. Regular app installation from device should work fine, then Direct install to update (or downgrade) Magisk should be available / work.
    Well golly, the whole reason I was trying to use canary was to file a bug report, but if nobody is maintaining it, then there's no point. Thanks for letting me know!
    Wouldn't say no point however.

Magisk contributors (there are 201) like @osmosis (especially) and @vvb2060 are still distilling / fixing issues, and responding to many issues, as are other informed / experienced users. Many workarounds / non-integrated solutions have been supplied.

Further, as has been noted, many fixes from topjohnwu Magisk Issues have been incorporated in vvb2060's Alpha builds (seems these go back at least to Dec 2018. Archived builds from Dec 2020 are available on his GitHub & Telegram) before merging in John Wu's.

I doubt this will change, and vvb2060 has produced several builds since John's last ones already! This is the beauty of such an open source project. Links, latest etc:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85226785

It would be a misunderstanding to say only John is supplying fixes for Magisk Issues, just as he is not (any longer at least) its sole developer!
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85127113

Nb. John already pretty much turned over current App design / fixes to @diareuse so he could concentrate on Magisk Mask itself:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-83637567

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-83771409

Clearly the issue of official builds continuing (in present form or other) is up-in-the-air atm, but a healthy / active / interested community still exists. 🙂 PW

Early Notice:​

Latest @vvb2060 Magisk Alpha build (July 23, 2021) changelog:​

Skipped a few due to rapid-fire! (This guy's a bit like Jorrit!)

Chinese Translated:

alpha update log​

Magisk (1eb83ad8-alpha-23)​

• Based on 1eb83ad8, please refer to the upstream update log for related modifications
    • Properly process any data from magiskd
    • Support SharedUserId
    • Delete the backup file after restoring the boot image
    • Built-in current version update log
    • Use the local version when the stub cannot be downloaded, now Magisk can be used completely offline
    • Support bootimg v4 format
    • Support bootconfig
    • Detect /data/adb/magisk/ not updated and prompt to repair
    • Remove the disabled and pending deletion marks when upgrading the module, and it is not allowed to mark as pending deletion before restarting
    • Fix that it cannot be flashed in some TWRP
    • Modify the search order of the module sepolicy location and fix the problem that some devices do not load the module sepolicy
    • Listen to the PACKAGE_FULLY_REMOVED broadcast to remove completely uninstalled apps from magiskhide
    • Display the modal waiting pop-up window when hiding/restore the Magisk application
    • App adapted to Android 12
    • Android 12+ super user hides the screen overlay when the window pops up
    Edit: New changes since 1eb83ad8-alpha-19
    • For devices supported by the kernel, MagiskSU uses proprietary devpts to bypass some application detection
    • Rewrite MagiskSU's pty opening logic, no additional sepolicy rules are needed
    • Fix incorrect signal sending in MagiskHide
    • Add untrusted_app_30
    https://github.com/vvb2060/Magisk/b...e147e578c92/app/src/main/res/raw/changelog.md

My earlier notes:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85098469

Current notes:

Check 'earlier notes' for installation method / details.

Alpha build users won't yet see Update button notice in Magisk App for this build as VersionCode has (again) NOT changed from 23001.

I'm not sure if this behaviour will be addressed, but users will observe the 'Latest' and 'Installed' version suffix now differs.

This build has not been uploaded at the time of this post. Watch this space!

Latest in GitHub magisk_files repo is 1eb83ad8-alpha-20

Latest available from Telegram group is
    1eb83ad8-alpha-22
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-85229385

Interestingly, in Magisk Documentation, @vvb2060 has updated "Internal Details" and "Deployment" since John did.
    https://github.com/vvb2060/Magisk/tree/alpha/docs

🤠 PW
    This is the place for general support and discussion regarding "Public Releases", which includes both stable and beta releases.
    All information, including troubleshoot guides and notes, are in the Announcement Thread
    Hello, I haven't given much support on XDA lately. It can be resulted from
    • University started and I have limited free time. In fact, I mostly develop during midnight
    • I live in Taiwan, which has large time zone differences between my European/American contributors/testers, which usually forces me to stay up late at night to discuss/test stuffs.
    • The new version is about to come, I don't want to spend effort on supporting old releases
    The planned update is delayed again and again, to some point I think I'll shed some light about what has been happening lately, also along with some announcements.

New Forum!
    As you might have already discovered, Magisk got its own subforum on XDA! Many thanks to all the support you gave me, and much more information/features/support is about to come!
    **For developers supporting all the devices that are not using standard Android boot format, feel free to create threads in this section (actually, PLEASE do so) for your favorite devices after v7 is out. As I currently know, Asus devices require signing the boot image before flashing, and is model dependant; Sony devices seems to use ELF kernel that is unpatchable, or some has two ramdisks (inner + outer), both requires different workarounds; LG bootloader locked devices has to manually "BUMP" the boot image after flashing Magisk..... and there may be lots of other crazy boot image formats that haven't come up to my attention yet.
    It is impossible for me to support all these non-standard boot images, and I hope the community can collaborate to make Magisk running across all the devices. Overall, community collaboration is what XDA about :D

The Pixel Phone
    Some of you might already know this news, that the next Pixel Phone right around the corner seems like it does not have ramdisk in boot image, which pretty much wrecked Magisk in all ways. However, it pretty much doomed root itself too. Kernel modifications is inevitable IMO, so I'll try to migrate my scripts to C programs that could possibly be included into the kernel itself. Note that I'm not familiar with linux kernel, I'm not even sure if my idea and concept is correct or not. But once the device is available, I think developers will find a way to bypass all the difficulties, and I'll do my best to learn things ;)

Current Progress
    In the past month, I've spent quite some time learning SELinux, so that I can avoid using SuperSU's sepolicy patches. Thanks to the helps and tips from @phhusson and @Chainfire, I finally have a much clearer understanding of how SELinux works. The Magisk core parts (the scripts, boot image patches, new features, more supports) are actually done some time ago. What is causing all the delays is the Magisk Manager.
    To be completely honest, although I can code in Java without much issues, Magisk Manager is actually my first Android application, I had to reach out for assistance, and fortunately awesome developers like @DVDandroid and @digitalhigh contributed a lot, which makes the current Manager awesome.
    After the repo system and module management is mostly done, I was about to do some adjustments and release, but what we really done is decided to add another feature: auto-unroot with per-app settings. I decided to wait for it to be finished, and then do my adjustments. Due to reasons that'll be mentioned later, this feature will likely not be available for the next release (should come in future updates)

Safety Net Disaster
    Those who are using Magisk for Safety Net bypass purposes must have known that Google recently updated the detection method of my Systemless Xposed. I still have no idea what Safety Net is detecting, so currently I cannot fix it on my side (also because I'm busy working on the next update). However, suhide developed by @Chainfire is able to hide Xposed and worked fine.
    However, only my Systemless Xposed v86.2, which is based on SuperSU's su.d, is supported using that method. v86.2 and v86.5 (latest, Magisk based) have nearly identical binaries, and the only difference is the path where the binaries are stored.
    I'm still not sure what's the real issue for it not being supported, I just hope it is not done intentionally.

Conclusion
    Due to the fact that my Safety Net bypass is not 100% perfect now, I do not want to spend any more time waiting for auto-unroot to be polished. What I'm doing now is finishing up all the things I'd like to change in Magisk Manager (it has been a while since I last contributed to Manager, my fellow developers are doing all the heavy job), which might take a little more time, after that, packed with tons of information to be announced in Magisk Section, I'll release the long awaited update.

Hope this lengthy post gives you the idea of the whole situation, and again thanks for all your support!!
    Ah, some Chainfire bashing, I hope it is not too late for me to exercise additional villainy.

First, let me make clear I have nothing against @topjohnwu, nor against Magisk. Magisk is an interesting project and it certainly displays @topjohnwu ingenuity and persistence. I don't doubt we will see more interesting things from his hands.

-------------------------

What has happened here is not all that dark and complicated, from either end. I returned from holidays, and someone pointed me at Magisk. My first thought: interesting!

Among other things, the thread lists some issues with SuperSU, which in combination with the phrase The developer also requests users to not bug Chainfire with compatibility requests for SuperSU with Magisk from the portal article, raised my left eyebrow by nigh half an inch. The popular systemless xposed mod is apparently now based on it, and apparently it now no longer works with SuperSU, and apparently I'm not supposed to fix that, nor any of the other found issues. I found that a bit weird. So yes, I have told @topjohnwu that I was a bit surprised he was posting about issues with SuperSU without notifying me about them (I can't fix or help fix issues I'm not aware of, after all).

He's also spreading a modified version of the SuperSU package, which is not all that uncommon, nor necessarily a problem. I have not looked into what he modified, I only ran a few quick tests on one of my devices, and found some commonly used commands run as root to be broken. I have informed him of this as well.

It appears the tool of choice for Magisk is phh's Superuser, because of some of the mentioned issues with SuperSU. That's fine by itself, but fixing issues in that superuser by incorporating SuperSU's binaries into it is a somewhat questionable practise. After all, SuperSU is a commercial closed-source package that helps pay for my dinner, and superuser is a direct competitor. I have informed him that I was surprised he did this without asking for permission. I have expressed similar surprise on him spreading a modified version of LiveBoot (which helps pay for a snack now and then).
    @topjohnwu has also stated that Magisk's scripts are largely influenced by mine (I have not checked). Scripts based on mine are used all over the place on XDA, some people have crafted amazing things based on them, I have never made an issue of this (otherwise I would have just made them binaries). But yes, I have also stated to him that I don't think it's very nice to base something on one program, and then using that to (almost exclusively) push something directly competing with that program.

tl;dr Towards @topjohnwu, I have:
    - expressed surprise he has issues getting Magisk to work with SuperSU, and has chosen not to inform me about those
    - expressed surprise he is using SuperSU binaries in a competing superuser without permission
    - expressed surprise he is posting a modified LiveBoot without permission
    - informed him of issues with the modified SuperSU he has posted
    - let him know I thought it wasn't very nice to be applying my scripts to benefit seemingly exclusively that same competing superuser

To be crystal clear:
    - I have not asked for an apology
    - I have not asked for Magisk to be abandoned, neither the root hiding nor systemless module parts, and certainly not systemless xposed
    - I have not made an issue of any of this anywhere, until this post
    - I have not even specifically asked for anything to be taken down (though obviously in my opinion the other superuser package mixed with SuperSU's binaries, as well as the LiveBoot package, should go)
    - I have not reported this thread to XDA moderators for copyright violations or otherwise

While my conversation with @topjohnwu may not win any awards for being friendly (though it may win some for brevity), I think all things considered my response has been rather mild. To be perfectly honest, until the apology post, I thought this was over with already. I think the apology post was triggered because I haven't replied to his last PM for a while - I was in the zone, it happens.

To emphasize again, I have nothing against @topjohnwu, Magisk, or systemless xposed, and it is certainly not my goal to see any of them go. If it can be made to work together with SuperSU, great.

I get it though: you think of something, you want to see if you can make it work, you finally get it to work, you publish it, it takes off - enthusiasm gets the better of you. Maybe in the rush some mistakes are made. That doesn't mean you have to just drop it and run. None of my stuff would make it past 0.1 if I stopped at the first big mistake :)

Aside from said being in the zone coding, I usually regret actually responding to these sort of things the day after, which has made me hesitant to reply. Surprise me.
    Thread temporarily closed so everyone sees this.

The flood of "SafetyNet isn't working for me either!" posts are not helpful, at all. Please refrain from posting further, it will be looked into. Please do not forget that not passing SafetyNet is 100% NORMAL AND INTENDED when you have an unlocked booloader or running custom firmware. These are workarounds and they will be worked around in turn.

The Flash
    Forum Moderator

EDIT: Thread is reopened... I will be cleaning any SafetyNet posts for a while to keep the thread clean for real issues.
    Hello everyone!

I am aware that Google has updated Safety Net that makes Magisk itself a no go for Android Pay. In fact, I witnessed the change live while I am developing the new magiskhide, which should hide all Magisk modules and Magisk installed root.

Google is serious about Safety Net now, clearly hunting down all possibility to run Xposed with Safety Net passed. I spend quite some time examining the new security measures last midnight, and fortunately it seems that it is possible to run Magisk and root along with Safety Net if no Xposed is running. I'm glad I removed the old root toggle at the right time lol, that is no longer feasible with the latest detection.

So stay tuned for the next update, it will come with bug fixes, along with the new magiskhide to bypass that Safety Net.

Google, how will a few systemless mods do any harm :p:p