Magisk General Support / Discussion

Search This thread

bosox284

Mar 16, 2012
Always clean flash, always

Especially a major version, what mental person would do a dirty flash from 10 to 11?

<awaits replies on that last line> :)

Heh, this mental person would. I didn't want to go through the effort of starting fresh. So far so good with my P4XL on 20424.

Alxoom33

May 18, 2011
New York
www.sack-ip.com
The fact that TWRP and Magisk are incompatible on A11 is a well known issue from the date of the first A11 Developer Previews back in March. I don't believe it is something that is going to be fixed. I just fastboot boot into TWRP when I need to. Keep Stock recovery and Magisk Canary on my phone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
Nah, your an inspiration... A trailblazer...

And you seem to have pulled off a DIRTY migration from A10 to A11 w/ root also... As was said, that's MENTAL!

...If all else fails, try, and try again!

Full marks for both persistence, and a great result for yourself and other 'custom'ers.

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right... sometimes." - Winston Churchill. :D PW

Heh, this mental person would. I didn't want to go through the effort of starting fresh. So far so good with my P4XL on 20424.

Dont you encourage these guys @pndwal :) :)

Why do i get in trouble for doing things properly...this one time it didnt work :) :)

Last edited:

Skeetch79

Oct 29, 2010
West Milford, NJ
The fact that TWRP and Magisk are incompatible on A11 is a well known issue from the date of the first A11 Developer Previews back in March. I don't believe it is something that is going to be fixed. I just fastboot boot into TWRP when I need to. Keep Stock recovery and Magisk Canary on my phone.

Guess I have not been following all of the 'beta' stuff too closely ;) Never have really been one to install the betas - I like to be 'surprised' when the official release comes out! :)

The fastboot boot option sure is a wonderful feature of TWRP!

@kitokit

Mar 15, 2017
Is it safe to switch from magisk 20.4 stable to canary build? Do I need to re install my modules? Can someone walk me thru the steps

I'm running lineage 17 on my xperia z2.

stuzor

Dec 31, 2008
I have a pixel 4xl that was on 10 rooted with magisk. I did the ota upgrade to 11 and then after switching to magisk canary e66b0bf3(298) which seems to be the latest canary I could find I am unable to boot my magisk_patched boot image. It tries, get's to the google logo and then goes back to the bootloader saying no valid boot images found or something like that. I tried reinstalling 11 without a wipe and tried booting the magisk_patched again but no dice. Is my version of canary right? I saw some different versions people mentioned but when I looked on the github this is the version I get.

Alxoom33

May 18, 2011
New York
www.sack-ip.com
I have a pixel 4xl that was on 10 rooted with magisk. I did the ota upgrade to 11 and then after switching to magisk canary e66b0bf3(298) which seems to be the latest canary I could find I am unable to boot my magisk_patched boot image. It tries, get's to the google logo and then goes back to the bootloader saying no valid boot images found or something like that. I tried reinstalling 11 without a wipe and tried booting the magisk_patched again but no dice. Is my version of canary right? I saw some different versions people mentioned but when I looked on the github this is the version I get.
No, that's the Magisk Manager apk, the zip you flash in booted TWRP is Canary v. 20425. Make sure that you don't install TWRP.

wilsonhlacerda

May 31, 2012
Is it safe to switch from magisk 20.4 stable to canary build? Do I need to re install my modules? Can someone walk me thru the steps

I'm running lineage 17 on my xperia z2.

Typically, yes, you can upgrade to canary without problems. BUT canary is an Alpha, bleeding edge version, keep this always in mind. Currently the one available seems very good, but...well...it's canary.

So if you decide to do it, be sure you have (nandroid) backup and/or you know how to deal with bootloops or things like that.

To upgrade to canary you only have e to go to settlings and set to use a custom channel and paste the URL of canary (see previous posts for links). Then update Manager and only then (with the new manager) update Magisk itself.

If your Manager is hidden and have any problems while upgrading, set to decrypt it before trying upgrade again.

Don't need to reinstall modules or anything else. Just the above (if everything goes the expected way).

Edit: this is the URL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/canary/debug.json

Last edited:

lividhen99

Jun 19, 2018
RootbeerFresh does not recognise root, also the SafetyNet check goes green but when I check root with Root Checker Pro 1.6.3 it says that I am rooted.
Is there any way to hide that also or is it normal that some apps show the root?

Regards
Did you make sure to hide magisk from root checker pro?

stuzor

Dec 31, 2008
No, that's the Magisk Manager apk, the zip you flash in booted TWRP is Canary v. 20425. Make sure that you don't install TWRP.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I haven't used twrp in a while due to compatibility issues, I just boot the modified boot img that is patched from magisk manager. Then I usually patch it directly from magisk manager on the next boot. That said in this case I tried flashing it in fastboot as well as just booting but no dice either way.

Alxoom33

May 18, 2011
New York
www.sack-ip.com
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I haven't used twrp in a while due to compatibility issues, I just boot the modified boot img that is patched from magisk manager. Then I usually patch it directly from magisk manager on the next boot. That said in this case I tried flashing it in fastboot as well as just booting but no dice either way.
Well now try it the right way[emoji39]

mhrussell1

Oct 28, 2011
Anaheim
A11 dirty flash and canary Magisk worked with the "Select and Patch a File" method. Looks like I still need to edit the Gpay file to allow it to work. Hopefully the old method still works.

Mark

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

A11 dirty flash and canary Magisk worked with the "Select and Patch a File" method. Looks like I still need to edit the Gpay file to allow it to work. Hopefully the old method still works.

Mark

jlmntl

May 5, 2012
Iowa City
Might be I'm just lucky, but I was able to go from 10 to 11 on my pixel 3 via OTA using the normal Magisk OTA update procedure. First I updated both MM and Magisk to the latest Canary builds. Then I restored stock images via MM uninstall, downloaded and installed the 11 OTA, and installed Magisk to the inactive slot, not rebooting until Magisk was installed. Booted up right into 11, Magisk installed and root intact, all modules present and installed, safetynet passed, and Google pay working perfectly.

mhrussell1

Oct 28, 2011
Anaheim
A11 dirty flash and canary Magisk worked on Pixel 3 with the "Select and Patch a File" method. Looks like I still need to edit the Gpay file to allow it to work. Hopefully the old method still works.

Just checked and my edits persisted. Looks like a refresh of the screen is all that was needed.

Mark

Last edited:

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Patching 20422 and working fine for me on Xiaomi Mi 9T, MIUI 12, Android 10

Still problem (broken in Magisk Manager till 294) with Hiding Manager, but no prio and time for that now
Hiding Magisk Manager works now (again) on MIUI (Xiaomi Mi 9T, MIUI 12, Android 10) with the latest Manager 298 (and Magisk 20425).
It was an interesting debugging session:
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/3147

And indeed, hiding MM works now with no more the need to disable Play Protect

Edit: Successfully updated the repackaged MM 298 to 299 without a need to restore and hide it again?

Last edited:

pndwal

Jun 23, 2016
Sydney
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
Dont you encourage these guys @pndwal :) :)

Why do i get in trouble for doing things properly...this one time it didnt work :) :)
Aw, you ain't in NO kinda trouble... :)

@Skeetch79 bothered to post his success, even if he fluked it! Thats the spirit I enjoy at XDA!

I also needed @Alxoom33's reminder re. incompatibility of TWRP with A11.

My dad always said 'if you don't get germs, you'll get germs!'... Mistakes are germs with a difference; they should build an immunity to making more, but the difference is that this only occurs if one becomes AWARE of the mistakes. So, it's the refusal to become aware that's most dangerous.

No danger of that for most on XDA (though some make me wonder :rolleyes: ), and your awareness has certainly protected XDA members from many 'germs'!

Hope the exchange here was productive for you too. - Got rooted A11 on Pixel 2 XL yet? PW

Last edited:

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
@pndwal

Im pleased to report tonight i am bathing in the glow of Android 11 with root

1) flash-all.bat (with wipe enabled - because clean install)
2) Immediately on reboot from 1 and before it gets anywhere near to beginning of setup: fastboot boot twrp-3.4.0-1-taimen.img
3) adb push Magisk-e66b0bf3(20425).zip /tmp
4) adb shell twrp install /tmp/Magisk-e66b0bf3(20425).zip
5) adb reboot
6) after reboot, install canary magisk manager (for whatever reason doesnt install from TWRP flash)
7) open canary magisk manager and enable magiskhide

Safetynet pass with Basic EvalType still...party time

Last edited:

pndwal

Jun 23, 2016
Sydney
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
@pndwal

Im pleased to report tonight i am bathing in the glow of Android 11 with root

1) flash-all.bat (with wipe enabled - because clean install)
2) Immediately on reboot from 1 and before it gets anywhere near to beginning of setup: fastboot boot twrp-3.4.0-1-taimen.img
3) adb push Magisk-e66b0bf3(20425).zip /tmp
4) adb shell twrp install /tmp/Magisk-e66b0bf3(20425).zip
5) adb reboot
6) after reboot, install canary magisk manager (for whatever reason doesnt install from TWRP flash)
7) open canary magisk manager and enable magiskhide

Safetynet pass with Basic EvalType still...party time
Wow you're quick!... I mean replied w/ heads-up and detailed 2nd successful method w/ booted TWRP, using adb commands, in 30 secs...

Impressive, and sure to be of help. :good:

Don't party to hard! PW

73sydney

Jul 21, 2018
Sydney
Google Pixel 2 XL
Wow you're quick!... I mean replied w/ heads-up and detailed 2nd successful method w/ booted TWRP, using adb commands, in 30 secs...

Impressive, and sure to be of help. :good:

Don't party to hard! PW

I literally just got home and from the strands from others from last night knew to abandon installing TWRP

the adb push and adb shell twrp install are just from my usual clean flashing script (im too lazy to do it manually), i just commented out:

Code:
adb push twrp /tmp 
adb shell install /tmp/twrp

Having run CAT6 cable all day, crimped it and installed Unifi AP's (so people could have their interwebs for Netflix) i was tired and not looking for too much fun this evening :)

Top Liked Posts

It's systemless because it doesn't modify the system partition by default.
    Yes, of course!
    Android checks the partition integrity at boot on most new devices.
    Not sure this matters much once AVB is defeated by unlocking bootloader, but since most newer stock ROMs are locked to read-only due to 'Shared Blocks' implementation, a systemless solution may be the only practical option.
    It didn't in the earlier versions of Android. You could literally just add root permissions right to the system and have no problems. Since that is no longer the case, it now resides in the boot image, not system image and never the recovery image.
    Well, it exists always in a boot image certainly, as it's always in ramdisk. But recovery image is also a boot image with ramdisk!

Actually, boot partition doesn't always contain ramdisk, and boot type ramdisk added manually by Magisk will also fail when bootloader support is missing, as is the case with the type III devices discussed here:
    https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/boot.html

Fortunately, there is a second Android boot image that can be used as an alternative; Recovery.img. As John Wu states:
    recovery and boot partition:
    these 2 are actually very similar: both are Android boot images containing ramdisk and Linux kernel (plus some other stuff).
    In the case of type III devices, Magisk in Recovery is the only option for Magisk root. Please see Magisk in Recovery section in Installation Instructions:
    https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#magisk-in-recovery

Magisk 'Recovery mode' patching option exists specifically for the purpose of patching recovery.img with Magisk properly, as boot partition ramdisk and recovery partition ramdisk configurations differ significantly.

Wiith 'Magisk in Recovery', boot.img can be left stock & unaltered. Generally however, 'Magisk in Boot' is the preferred option, especially as no special key combinations are needed to boot with Magisk root.

... As has been observed however, both of these 'Systemless' root options have advantages over solutions that alter system. Eg:

1) Ease of recovering from systemless mod failure causing boot issues. There are several methods to prevent these 'system overlays' from being applied, hence allowing system to boot normally.

2) Only Boot and/or Recovery partitions need restoring to take OTA updates (because actual system partition is unaltered). Also, as modules / Magisk settings are stored in /data partition, after flashing Magisk patched images again the mods / settings are restored. PW
    Under Magisk it's "Installed 22.1 (22100) | Ramdisk Yes | A/B Yes | SAR YES"
    Under App it's "Latest 22.1 (22100) (20) | Installed 22.1 (22100) | Package com.topjohnwu.magisk"
    It seems to be the same version except the App's Latest has an additional "(20)" over the Installed part.
    You could have attached the screenshot but per description, it looks ok.
    E.g., I have Canary 22002 (not Stable 22000 like you), Magisk properly imstalled and all ok - compare to my screenshot

If I understand correctly, you reported a crash while installing a Magisk module

If installing from Repo, take Download (instead of Install), it will download to your Download folder.
    Then, take from Magisk app (again Modules tab, at the top), Install from storage and navigate to the Download folder and the downloaded module zip file

I.e., there was recently a bug that Magisk app was crashing when installing a module but by e.g. installing an already downloaded module zip file it worked fine (since I'm on Canary 22002, I don't know how is the case with your Stable 22000)

There was also another workaround. When taking Install, once Magisk app crashed, it was just enough to tap to the notification that module was downloaded - Magisk app would continue installinf the module

If still failing/crashing, try with another Magisk module (from Repo!) to make sure it wasn't an errant module
    I assume you were patching recovery.img w/ Recovery mode check toggled on!

Perhaps John couldn't reproduce issue since you didn't specify 0 byte result only occurs if Magisk App is not unhidden / restored, and issue title was simply "Magisk v22+ produces a boot.img of zero size".

Why not create a new issue with clear title: "Magisk v22xxx produces a Recovery image of zero size on Galaxy S10 if App remains hidden" etc, as long as issue still exists using latest 22102. 👍 PW
    1) Obviously.
    2) As specified / already mentioned I would have mentioned it if I had known it before. I thought it was a general problem.
    3) Sure, that would be plan B.
    1) Obviously.
    2) As specified / already mentioned I would have mentioned it if I had known it before. I thought it was a general problem.
    3) Sure, that would be plan B.
    But you said you feel John will likely overlook your comments.

My feeling is that he won't if a new issue that states the configuration that results in the bug/issue clearly is opened. 🙂

I've seen other users reopen the same issue multiple times, but get taken seriously in the end... And yours does seem serious, especially as it may well affect other devices.

Didge. may well help however! 😉 PW
    @dr4go I don't understand why you talk of whether the Recovery box is checked. I thought you had a Samsung device, and I thought the firmware came packaged as tar files, so I thought you would be telling Magisk to patch AP.tar. Magisk will modify boot, recovery, and vbmeta, and will produce magisk-patched-AP.tar -- you feed that to Odin, and all three get "flashed" (along with everything else in the tar, and everything in the other three tars you pass to Odin).

Are you seeing this zero-length boot.img in the magisk-patched-AP.tar?
    Why I talk about the recovery box being checked? No offense, but please reread the posts. I found it pointless to talk about that, because I can't change the way of how Samsung's bootloader work.
    I assume you know how it works, if not please inform yourself. Explanation: Magisk usually resides in the boot.img. But because those semi-modern devices (s10 series and some others) come with no initramfs, you need to patch the recovery (that is Magisk gets installed there). So you need to press a key combo to boot rooted (you often see people complain about that, because they don't know their devices and should not root at all: "help, I lost root!", etc.).

Yes.

This will he my last post about that, because I find it rather pointless to spam this huge thread even more with no added information. And obviously this talking won't anything help to fix this issue. I prefer to be quiet if I have nothing useful to say.

Latest Public (Stable / Beta)

Release Notes and Changelog:

2021.4.9 Magisk v22.1​

This release is focused on fixing regressions and bugs. Check the v22.0 release notes if coming from older releases.

Note: Magisk v22 is the last major version to support Jellybean and Kitkat. Magisk v23 will only support Android 5.0 and higher.

Bug Fixes​

• [App] Prevent multiple installation sessions running in parallel
    • [App] Prevent OutOfMemory crashes when checking boot signature on PXA boot images
    • [General] Proper cgroup migration implementation
    • [General] Rewrite log writer from scratch, should resolve any crashes and deadlocks
    • [General] Many scripts updates fixing regressions
    • [MagiskHide] Prevent possible deadlock when signal arrives
    • [MagiskHide] Partial match process names if necessary
    • [MagiskBoot] Preserve and patch AVB 2.0 structures/headers in boot images
    • [MagiskBoot] Properly strip out data encryption flags
    • [MagiskBoot] Prevent possible integer overflow
    • [MagiskInit] Fix sepolicy.rule mounting strategy
    • [resetprop] Always delete existing ro. props before updating. This will fix bootloops that could be caused by modifying device fingerprint properties.
    🎉 👍 PW
    @osm0sis
    Thank you for having an eye on that.
    Did the "ls" twice, first from a TWRP-terminal in recovery, second from a terminal while phone is "up and running".
    Looks like you have /dev/bootimg as your real partition location and it is still higher in the list in util_functions.sh like how I fixed it in the linked commit, so this is definitely a regression from some other recent change to Magisk.. sigh, I'll look into it. 🤔😕

Latest Canary Changelog, including Release Notes:​

Magisk (9c0e1897) (22007)​

• [General] Fix logic to copy sepolicy.rule during module installation
    • [resetprop] Always delete existing ro. props before updating. This will fix bootloops that could be caused by modifying device fingerprint properties.

Diffs to v22.0​

• [App] Prevent multiple installation sessions running in parallel
    • [App] Prevent OutOfMemory crashes when checking boot signature on PXA boot images
    • [General] Proper cgroup migration implementation
    • [General] Rewrite log writer from scratch, should resolve any crashes and deadlock
    • [General] Many scripts updates fixing regressions
    • [MagiskHide] Prevent possible deadlock when signal arrives
    • [MagiskHide] Partial match process names if necessary
    • [MagiskBoot] Preserve and patch AVB 2.0 structures/headers in boot images
    • [MagiskBoot] Properly strip out data encryption flags
    • [MagiskBoot] Prevent possible integer overflow
    • [MagiskInit] Fix sepolicy.rule mounting strategy
    👍 PW
    #Xiaomi.eu, #OTA, #Magisk 22006, #Viper4Android, #sepolicy.rule

This week, Xiaomi.eu weekly update 21.3.24 (MIUI 12.5, A11) was late a day and a half, hence I upgraded yesterday night

As usual:
    - I downloaded the zip, extracted boot.img and patched (already from my previous Xiaomi.eu 21.3.18, rooted by Magisk 22006)
    - Flashed the Xiaomi.eu zip from TWRP, wiped Dalwik and Cache and rebooted
    - Then rebooted once again to TWRP and flashed the boot.img that was patched in advance

I could probably flash its patched boot img right after flashing the 'OTA' zip (saving one time booting to the not-rooted system and rebooting to TWRP), but I rather play the safe and many times proven game

Upon rebooting with the patched boot img, I have Magisk 22006 root again, with all modules (except V4A), root granted apps snd apps enabled for Magisk hide

This time the old trick to make V4A did not work. Maybe because of the known sepolicy.rule bug in Magisk 22006, or maybe I was not 'patient' enough and made a mistake in steps

Anyway, I also wanted to test, hence I modified V4A's post-fs-data.sh in accordance to:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-0-viper4android-fx-2-7.3774651/post-84121895
    rebooted, and it did the trick 👍

The modified post-fs-data.sh for:
    /data/adb/modules/ViPER4AndroidFX
    is zipped and attached

The zip also contains DDC and Kernel folders to be copied ton Internalmemory: /Android/data/com.pittvandewitt.viperfx/files
    for V4A Convolvers and headphone profiles

Hence now I have again AML, V4A plus another audio mode (320 kbps bitrate for my phone) and V4A is happilly again Supported and Proccessing (still in the Legacy mode)
    No, the phone is an Estar Takee1.
    ROM is from here: Mikel Android 7 for Takee1
    and is itself a port from this ROM: RidonOS for Micromaxx A311

You're right, sorry for that. Now here the installation log for canary-version:

- Target image: /dev/BOOT
    - Device platform: armeabi-v7a
    - Installing: f152b4c2 (22005)
    nanddump: MEMGETINFO: Not a typewriter
    Parsing boot image: [boot.img]
    - Unpacking boot image
    ! Unsupported/Unknown image format
    ! Installation failed

😛

/dev/BOOT is known (usually) not an actual boot partition, hence nanddump failing.

I had originally fixed this back here: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/commit/2aede97754fec67d393bde0c7725ed84d8c3c112

So not sure if we're looking at some kind of a regression, or just a further edge case.

@io2345 what's the actual, correct location of your boot partition? Please give me the output of `ls -alR /dev`
    This is the place for general support and discussion regarding "Public Releases", which includes both stable and beta releases.
    All information, including troubleshoot guides and notes, are in the Announcement Thread
    Hello, I haven't given much support on XDA lately. It can be resulted from
    • University started and I have limited free time. In fact, I mostly develop during midnight
    • I live in Taiwan, which has large time zone differences between my European/American contributors/testers, which usually forces me to stay up late at night to discuss/test stuffs.
    • The new version is about to come, I don't want to spend effort on supporting old releases
    The planned update is delayed again and again, to some point I think I'll shed some light about what has been happening lately, also along with some announcements.

New Forum!
    As you might have already discovered, Magisk got its own subforum on XDA! Many thanks to all the support you gave me, and much more information/features/support is about to come!
    **For developers supporting all the devices that are not using standard Android boot format, feel free to create threads in this section (actually, PLEASE do so) for your favorite devices after v7 is out. As I currently know, Asus devices require signing the boot image before flashing, and is model dependant; Sony devices seems to use ELF kernel that is unpatchable, or some has two ramdisks (inner + outer), both requires different workarounds; LG bootloader locked devices has to manually "BUMP" the boot image after flashing Magisk..... and there may be lots of other crazy boot image formats that haven't come up to my attention yet.
    It is impossible for me to support all these non-standard boot images, and I hope the community can collaborate to make Magisk running across all the devices. Overall, community collaboration is what XDA about :D

The Pixel Phone
    Some of you might already know this news, that the next Pixel Phone right around the corner seems like it does not have ramdisk in boot image, which pretty much wrecked Magisk in all ways. However, it pretty much doomed root itself too. Kernel modifications is inevitable IMO, so I'll try to migrate my scripts to C programs that could possibly be included into the kernel itself. Note that I'm not familiar with linux kernel, I'm not even sure if my idea and concept is correct or not. But once the device is available, I think developers will find a way to bypass all the difficulties, and I'll do my best to learn things ;)

Current Progress
    In the past month, I've spent quite some time learning SELinux, so that I can avoid using SuperSU's sepolicy patches. Thanks to the helps and tips from @phhusson and @Chainfire, I finally have a much clearer understanding of how SELinux works. The Magisk core parts (the scripts, boot image patches, new features, more supports) are actually done some time ago. What is causing all the delays is the Magisk Manager.
    To be completely honest, although I can code in Java without much issues, Magisk Manager is actually my first Android application, I had to reach out for assistance, and fortunately awesome developers like @DVDandroid and @digitalhigh contributed a lot, which makes the current Manager awesome.
    After the repo system and module management is mostly done, I was about to do some adjustments and release, but what we really done is decided to add another feature: auto-unroot with per-app settings. I decided to wait for it to be finished, and then do my adjustments. Due to reasons that'll be mentioned later, this feature will likely not be available for the next release (should come in future updates)

Safety Net Disaster
    Those who are using Magisk for Safety Net bypass purposes must have known that Google recently updated the detection method of my Systemless Xposed. I still have no idea what Safety Net is detecting, so currently I cannot fix it on my side (also because I'm busy working on the next update). However, suhide developed by @Chainfire is able to hide Xposed and worked fine.
    However, only my Systemless Xposed v86.2, which is based on SuperSU's su.d, is supported using that method. v86.2 and v86.5 (latest, Magisk based) have nearly identical binaries, and the only difference is the path where the binaries are stored.
    I'm still not sure what's the real issue for it not being supported, I just hope it is not done intentionally.

Conclusion
    Due to the fact that my Safety Net bypass is not 100% perfect now, I do not want to spend any more time waiting for auto-unroot to be polished. What I'm doing now is finishing up all the things I'd like to change in Magisk Manager (it has been a while since I last contributed to Manager, my fellow developers are doing all the heavy job), which might take a little more time, after that, packed with tons of information to be announced in Magisk Section, I'll release the long awaited update.

Hope this lengthy post gives you the idea of the whole situation, and again thanks for all your support!!
    Ah, some Chainfire bashing, I hope it is not too late for me to exercise additional villainy.

First, let me make clear I have nothing against @topjohnwu, nor against Magisk. Magisk is an interesting project and it certainly displays @topjohnwu ingenuity and persistence. I don't doubt we will see more interesting things from his hands.

-------------------------

What has happened here is not all that dark and complicated, from either end. I returned from holidays, and someone pointed me at Magisk. My first thought: interesting!

Among other things, the thread lists some issues with SuperSU, which in combination with the phrase The developer also requests users to not bug Chainfire with compatibility requests for SuperSU with Magisk from the portal article, raised my left eyebrow by nigh half an inch. The popular systemless xposed mod is apparently now based on it, and apparently it now no longer works with SuperSU, and apparently I'm not supposed to fix that, nor any of the other found issues. I found that a bit weird. So yes, I have told @topjohnwu that I was a bit surprised he was posting about issues with SuperSU without notifying me about them (I can't fix or help fix issues I'm not aware of, after all).

He's also spreading a modified version of the SuperSU package, which is not all that uncommon, nor necessarily a problem. I have not looked into what he modified, I only ran a few quick tests on one of my devices, and found some commonly used commands run as root to be broken. I have informed him of this as well.

It appears the tool of choice for Magisk is phh's Superuser, because of some of the mentioned issues with SuperSU. That's fine by itself, but fixing issues in that superuser by incorporating SuperSU's binaries into it is a somewhat questionable practise. After all, SuperSU is a commercial closed-source package that helps pay for my dinner, and superuser is a direct competitor. I have informed him that I was surprised he did this without asking for permission. I have expressed similar surprise on him spreading a modified version of LiveBoot (which helps pay for a snack now and then).
    @topjohnwu has also stated that Magisk's scripts are largely influenced by mine (I have not checked). Scripts based on mine are used all over the place on XDA, some people have crafted amazing things based on them, I have never made an issue of this (otherwise I would have just made them binaries). But yes, I have also stated to him that I don't think it's very nice to base something on one program, and then using that to (almost exclusively) push something directly competing with that program.

tl;dr Towards @topjohnwu, I have:
    - expressed surprise he has issues getting Magisk to work with SuperSU, and has chosen not to inform me about those
    - expressed surprise he is using SuperSU binaries in a competing superuser without permission
    - expressed surprise he is posting a modified LiveBoot without permission
    - informed him of issues with the modified SuperSU he has posted
    - let him know I thought it wasn't very nice to be applying my scripts to benefit seemingly exclusively that same competing superuser

To be crystal clear:
    - I have not asked for an apology
    - I have not asked for Magisk to be abandoned, neither the root hiding nor systemless module parts, and certainly not systemless xposed
    - I have not made an issue of any of this anywhere, until this post
    - I have not even specifically asked for anything to be taken down (though obviously in my opinion the other superuser package mixed with SuperSU's binaries, as well as the LiveBoot package, should go)
    - I have not reported this thread to XDA moderators for copyright violations or otherwise

While my conversation with @topjohnwu may not win any awards for being friendly (though it may win some for brevity), I think all things considered my response has been rather mild. To be perfectly honest, until the apology post, I thought this was over with already. I think the apology post was triggered because I haven't replied to his last PM for a while - I was in the zone, it happens.

To emphasize again, I have nothing against @topjohnwu, Magisk, or systemless xposed, and it is certainly not my goal to see any of them go. If it can be made to work together with SuperSU, great.

I get it though: you think of something, you want to see if you can make it work, you finally get it to work, you publish it, it takes off - enthusiasm gets the better of you. Maybe in the rush some mistakes are made. That doesn't mean you have to just drop it and run. None of my stuff would make it past 0.1 if I stopped at the first big mistake :)

Aside from said being in the zone coding, I usually regret actually responding to these sort of things the day after, which has made me hesitant to reply. Surprise me.
    Thread temporarily closed so everyone sees this.

The flood of "SafetyNet isn't working for me either!" posts are not helpful, at all. Please refrain from posting further, it will be looked into. Please do not forget that not passing SafetyNet is 100% NORMAL AND INTENDED when you have an unlocked booloader or running custom firmware. These are workarounds and they will be worked around in turn.

The Flash
    Forum Moderator

EDIT: Thread is reopened... I will be cleaning any SafetyNet posts for a while to keep the thread clean for real issues.
    Hello everyone!

I am aware that Google has updated Safety Net that makes Magisk itself a no go for Android Pay. In fact, I witnessed the change live while I am developing the new magiskhide, which should hide all Magisk modules and Magisk installed root.

Google is serious about Safety Net now, clearly hunting down all possibility to run Xposed with Safety Net passed. I spend quite some time examining the new security measures last midnight, and fortunately it seems that it is possible to run Magisk and root along with Safety Net if no Xposed is running. I'm glad I removed the old root toggle at the right time lol, that is no longer feasible with the latest detection.

So stay tuned for the next update, it will come with bug fixes, along with the new magiskhide to bypass that Safety Net.

Google, how will a few systemless mods do any harm :p:p
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone