Magisk General Support / Discussion

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
instead of deleting the line, change it to what / where termux is resolving sh to
I wanted to start by finding out if the line is even needed.
Then I wanted to find out if just giving it a hint about which shell would cause it to find it in the PATH.
Now, I don't know what his problem is anymore, so I don't know what to try to fix.

Reactions: dipseeet

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
@dipseeet I'm lost.
Were you working happily with an earlier version of Magisk?
Did you upgrade the Android on your device? Did you just get the urge to use a newer Magisk?
What are you missing before you install Busybox?

Those commands bother me. If "/sys" is part of a read-only filesystem, you're not supposed to try to change files under it. Maybe having Magisk run a script as part of its initialization changes the rules, but I would expect you to have trouble testing such scripts long after boot. If everything you are trying to do was working under an older version of Android, but you are now using a newer version of Android, the rules might have changed.

Reactions: dipseeet

pndwal

Jun 23, 2016
Sydney
Commit merged! "[App] Fixed storage permission issues when patching boot images on pre Android 11 devices"

Patching Image method should be all good now on new Canary v21403. 👍 PW

pndwal

Jun 23, 2016
Sydney
Latest Canary Changelog:

Magisk (4cc41ecc) (21403)
  • [App] Fixed storage permission issues when patching boot images on pre Android 11 devices
  • [General] Updated scripts to workaround issues with some modules using fully custom installation logic
How to Use the APK for Recoveries
In general, it is recommended to install and uninstall Magisk through the Magisk app. However, if you insist to use custom recoveries, rename the Magisk APK's .apk file extension to .zip. TWRP should then be able to directly flash the zip file. If you have trouble renaming the file extension on PC, rename the file with TWRP's built-in file manager. To uninstall in recovery, rename the zip file to uninstall.zip before flashing it.

Diff from v21.4
  • [General] Magisk and Magisk Manager is now merged
  • [General] The app name is changed from "Magisk Manager" to simply "Magisk". If you are currently hiding Magisk Manager, you would need to un-hide and re-hide to have the app label renamed properly.
  • [MagiskInit] Fixed a bug caused by typo (harmless to user)
  • [MagiskHide] Fix a bug when stopping MagiskHide does not take effect
👍 PW

pndwal

Jun 23, 2016
Sydney
Commit merged! "[App] Fixed storage permission issues when patching boot images on pre Android 11 devices"

Patching Image method should be all good now on new Canary v21403. 👍 PW
And maybe not! ☹
Have updated using direct Install fine once again.

Patching image is still ending with:
- Device platform: arm64-v8a
- Installing: 4cc41ecc (21403)
- Copying image to cache
! Process error
! Installation failed

Xiaomi RN8T, MIUI, Android 10. PW

Last edited:
Reactions: dobi3

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Yeah, Changelog says fix is for pre A11, but may actually be a more device specific issue. I just opened another issue for 21403. PW
Tried 21403, still the same error on patching.
I'm on A11 and I don't see any way to control Storage access for the app Magisk

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Yeah, saw your issue comment... PW
Yeah. Direct method worked but because I already had root with earlier Canary 21401

On Friday I will receive OTA. If not fixed by then, I'll have to start with Stable 21400 to be able to patch/install (or to flash Canary through TWRP which is not recommended and I never liked nor practiced although I do have TWRP for my A11)

After Direct method it correctly shows 21403 installed

Attachments

swangjang

Sep 12, 2018
when i try to patch an image, I get:

- Installing: b1dbbdef (21404)
! Installation failed
- Copying image to cache
! Proces error

It used to work fine no problem but since today I'm getting this error.

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016

! Installation failed
- Copying image to cache
! Proces error

Pls scroll back, discussed yesterday and today about the patching bug in 21402+

Btw I now also spotted 21404 but now (after successful Direct update by 21403) I cannot even update Manager: Parsing error

Attachments

Didgeridoohan

Forum Moderator / Developer Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Pls scroll back, discussed yesterday and today about the patching bug in 21402+

Btw I now also spotted 21404 but now (after successful Direct update by 21403) I cannot even update Manager: Parsing error
Had no issues here. Try restoring the hidden app (if it's hidden), or uninstall it and install again manually.

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Had no issues here. Try restoring the hidden app (if it's hidden), or uninstall it and install again manually.
No hidden app for me, not using

After two times failing to update through Manager I spotted the notificatiin that 21404 was downloaded and then installed with no problem

Patching with 21404 still fails the same, Direct works

Apparently issues with A11 since 21402

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
No hidden app for me, not using

After two times failing to update through Manager I spotted the notificatiin that 21404 was downloaded and then installed with no problem

Patching with 21404 still fails the same, Direct works

Apparently issues with A11 since 21402
To make things worse and really annoying, TJW immediately closed the issue "that he cannot reproduce" (and didn't find anything in the log)?!

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Yeah, Changelog says fix is for pre A11, but may actually be a more device specific issue. I just opened another issue for 21403. PW

! Installation failed
- Copying image to cache
! Proces error

Did you try a logcat?
Everything back to normal/ok with 21405 for me:
- no more parsing the package error
- patching and flashing the image works again
👍👍👍

Last edited:
Reactions: J.Michael

pndwal

Jun 23, 2016
Sydney
Yep, Patching Image method saga is over with this commit, merged in v21405 (See changelog in next post):

All happy now!

Incidentally, wanted to try 21404 when only Update (to 21405) button was available.

I simply turned off data, restarted Magisk (gotta get used to the new name!), and 'Install' (21404) was available offline!

Guessing this is the new method to flash selected builds (since merged Magisk/Manager distribution package change).

[Confirmed Patch method bug still extant in 21404] PW

Last edited: