Magisk General Support / Discussion

buzzywaw

Feb 6, 2014
Hi all
I using latest magisk 2.1.400 just because i want to run banking app ( have to hide the magisk with magisk hide)
But since i use LOS 17 on my ether (nexbit) my phone got unlock issue, there is error when i got to unlock with patern, system ui crash and i have to do draw pattern over and over until my phone is unlock
I have uninstall the magisk, but weird the problem still persist
Clean install the room may help to run unlock pattern but i can run banking app
Any solutions for this
Thanks

snickle

Sep 6, 2009
Lenovo tb-x606f. Magical 21.4 loaded via twrp. Canary magisk manager.

magisk manager says needs to be updated. Try to do a direct update to boot image and fails due to read-only filesystem. Patch and flash zip via fastboot works.

any ideas?

miko12312

Sep 11, 2009
Anyone get magisk to work on android 12 dev preview ,I was able to get the manager to flash the boot.img and successfuly flashed to phone ,after opening magisk I had root access until I installed modules and had to reboot , the boot.img was still patched ,just the manager was not able to do anything

pndwal

Jun 23, 2016
Sydney
New Public release! (Stable and Beta channels):

Magisk Changelog
v22.0
  • [General] Magisk and Magisk Manager is now merged into the same package!
  • [App] The term “Magisk Manager” is no longer used elsewhere. We refer it as the Magisk app.
  • [App] Support hiding the Magisk app with advanced technique (stub APK loading) on Android 5.0+ (it used to be 9.0+)
  • [App] Disallow re-packaging the Magisk app on devices lower than Android 5.0
  • [App] Detect and warn about multiple invalid states and provide instructions on how to resolve it
  • [MagiskHide] Fix a bug when stopping MagiskHide does not take effect
  • [MagiskBoot] Fix bug when unpacking lz4_lg compressed boot images
  • [MagiskInit] Support Galaxy S21 series
  • [MagiskSU] Fix incorrect APEX paths that caused libsqlite.so fail to load
PW

Last edited:

pndwal

Jun 23, 2016
Sydney
Release Notes up:

Magisk
2020.2.23 Magisk v22.0
RESTORE THE EXISTING MAGISK MANAGER BACK TO NORMAL BEFORE UPGRADING IF HIDDEN!
Another major Magisk release! This time our focus is not the core Magisk implementation, but rather on improving the whole Magisk user experience.

Magisk Manager is dead.
Long live the Magisk app!

Ever since the first Magisk release, Magisk (the core components) and Magisk Manager (the companion app) are released separately and isn’t necessarily always in sync. This leads to some confusion and a lot of complexity when downloading/installing Magisk through the app. Starting from v22.0, the Magisk app (renamed from Magisk Manager) includes everything it needs within the APK itself, making installation a 100% offline process.

Custom recovery lovers, no worries! The Magisk app APK itself is a custom recovery flashable zip, just like MAGIC™🌈. Check out the updated installation guide for more info.

App Hiding
Another major breakthrough in this release is that devices lower than Android 9.0 can now also use the advanced app hiding technique to hide the Magisk app. Due to this incompatible change, RESTORE THE EXISTING MAGISK MANAGER BACK TO NORMAL BEFORE UPGRADING IF HIDDEN!

Bug Fixes
  • [MagiskHide] Fix a bug when stopping MagiskHide does not take effect
  • [MagiskBoot] Fix bug when unpacking lz4_lg compressed boot images
  • [MagiskInit] Support Galaxy S21 series
  • [MagiskSU] Fix incorrect APEX paths that caused libsqlite.so fail to load
Full Changelog: here
This site is open source. Improve this page.

Many more Doc updates. 👍 PW

pndwal

Jun 23, 2016
Sydney
Major release!
John Wu, 23m

New major release: Magisk v22.0!

Magisk Manager is dead. Long live the Magisk app. Bug fixes, wider app hide support, and more!

... thanks for the late nights, and for all the invitations and fast paced progress with this ultimate superuser utility! PW

Last edited:
Reactions: dr4go and HippoMan

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
Release Notes up:

Magisk
2020.2.23 Magisk v22.0

[ ... etc. ... ]
I very much appreicate and am sincerely grateful to John Wu for his work on this, which helps so many people.

Sadly, I will not be upgrading to this version, because it no longer supports the A/B OTA Retention Script. That module makes OS upgrades very simple on A/B devices such as mine, and I want to avoid the more complicated and therefore more error-prone method that I would now have to utilize in order to upgrade my OS under this new Magisk version.

Some day I might give in, but for the time being, I'm sticking with 21.4.

Last edited:

Aveon

Jan 8, 2014
Navi Mumbai
Hey guys,
I'm using OnePlus 3 with custom ROM(bootloader unlocked) after the new update.
Whenever I update through app and select the proper steps, the devices reboot to recovery, but mine doesn't it goes to bootloader instead.
After reading the guide what I came to conclusion is to have to patch my recovery img now, but I'm a little confused about how do I use custom recovery mode? And how do I update magisk now on?

Device- OnePlus 3
ramdisk - no
SAR- yes
SaftyNet Pass

Last edited:

pndwal

Jun 23, 2016
Sydney
Still clearly some issues to iron out.

I just tried direct update on Xiaomi RN8T (Magisk in boot.img despite ramdisk = no).

When clicking Lets Go, nothing seemed to be happening, and I eventually closed Magisk and rebooted, and next get 'the system has been destroyed' screen.

Simple matter to flash an earlier Magisk-patched image and up running again w/ root.

Next, tried patching a boot.img, and similarly, when clicking Lets Go, nothing seems to happen.

Gone back to 21410 for now, and all is working fine again. PW

Reactions: Aveon

vip5912

Jun 20, 2017
Automatic (recommended) update is fail.
It say OK but after reboot Magisk is not installed.
I rebooted to Recovery and installed Magisk.zip.
It's fine.
Ramdisk Yes, A/B No, SAR Yes, SafetyNet Pass

Asia81

May 28, 2017
same and if you flash again, untick the recovery mode, and magisk doesn't update but you get your custom recovery back
No I meant I still can reboot to twrp, but when I try to boot my system the "normal way", it just go to the download mode instead.
Same happen when I reboot to system from twrp reboot menu.

Icebullet99

Jan 26, 2020
Weird that the recommended method (which the author stated that works 100% of the time) does not work at all, while the flash in recovery method, which is not recommended, seems to be working OK.

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Weird that the recommended method (which the author stated that works 100% of the time) does not work at all, while the flash in recovery method, which is not recommended, seems to be working OK.
When posting such statements you have to precisely describe your model, firmware, error you have, etc

E.g., I'm updating Magisk by patching and flashing Magisk for two or three years (not on a single device) and it works.
It also works for many, many others here.
Hence it is not generally true that patching method does not work at all.

Make sure that you choose right img to patch, that you check in or not Recovery option (see Magisk docs) and that you properly flash the patched img

Didgeridoohan

Forum Moderator / Developer Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Still clearly some issues to iron out.

I just tried direct update on Xiaomi RN8T (Magisk in boot.img despite ramdisk = no).

When clicking Lets Go, nothing seemed to be happening, and I eventually closed Magisk and rebooted, and next get 'the system has been destroyed' screen.

Simple matter to flash an earlier Magisk-patched image and up running again w/ root.

Next, tried patching a boot.img, and similarly, when clicking Lets Go, nothing seems to happen.

Gone back to 21410 for now, and all is working fine again. PW
I saw something similar. The "Let's go" button didn't seem to do anything, but while trying to save a log I realised that there were several flashing instances running in the background. Completely destroyed my boot image... Had to restore it and flash in TWRP to get up and running again.

I think I managed to get a log of the issue and have given it to John, but could you grab one as well, just in case?

mrsdbskn

Nov 30, 2015
Zürich
I saw something similar. The "Let's go" button didn't seem to do anything, but while trying to save a log I realised that there were several flashing instances running in the background. Completely destroyed my boot image... Had to restore it and flash in TWRP to get up and running again.

I think I managed to get a log of the issue and have given it to John, but could you grab one as well, just in case?
Same thing happened to me. My phone keeps booting into download/fastboot mode or if I do the button-dance i get into TWRP.

How can I find the backedup boot.img from magisk?