Magisk General Support / Discussion

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Guys, did you try by first unhiding/restoring Magisk Manager (or Magisk app, if you were already on Canary).
That was the most common case/bug reappearing every so and often with (major) Magisk updates

Spartacus500

Nov 6, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Custom Pie 9.0 Rom, upgrade to version 22000 passed without any errors, but am I okay? Now I have no information that the latest version of Magisk is installed, is it correct on the new version?
Screenshot_20210223-182654.jpg

Opening the option what I marked does not work for me on the latest version of Magisk manager, is it supposed to be or is something wrong with me?
Screenshot_20210223-191341.jpg

Last edited:

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Custom Pie 9.0 Rom, upgrade to version 22000 passed without any errors, but am I okay? Now I have no information that the latest version of Magisk is installed, is it correct on the new version?
View attachment 5230523
This is how it looks like once there is no more Magisk Manager but Magisk app (already in previous versions of Canary)

It clearly says what is the latest version of Magisk app (22000), hence that's also the version of latest Magisk

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
the last update destroyed my phone REDMIN NOTE 8
The phone exploded?🤓

Flash the original/stock boot img or the one patched by your previous working Magisk

If you are not accustomed to patch&flash images, you might still have TWRP backup of the Boot with the previous Magisk

ssamurai

Dec 29, 2012
The phone exploded?🤓

Flash the original/stock boot img or the one patched by your previous working Magisk

If you are not accustomed to patch&flash images, you might still have TWRP backup of the Boot with the previous Magisk
I fixed it by installing a custom recovery

XtraWater

Apr 8, 2018
I just updated the manager and magisk (stable). As advised I did unhide magisk. The update process was fine and the phone booted normally. Now, in the app drawer I see 3 magisk icon. One looks as the mask icon. The other one has the name I had masgik hidden before. And the 3rd has the name I just gave when I activate hide magisk again.

How to clean up those icons? Just uninstall?

Edit: restated phone again. The original magisk icon is gone. Then I deleted the old hidden app.

It seems everything fine now.

Reactions: Didgeridoohan

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
I very much appreicate and am sincerely grateful to John Wu for his work on this, which helps so many people.

Sadly, I will not be upgrading to this version, because it no longer supports the A/B OTA Retention Script. That module makes OS upgrades very simple on A/B devices such as mine, and I want to avoid the more complicated and therefore more error-prone method that I would now have to utilize in order to upgrade my OS under this new Magisk version.

Some day I might give in, but for the time being, I'm sticking with 21.4.
I apologize for the above post. It is a false alarm.

I was going by an earlier message which stated that the A/B Retention Script for OTA is not supported under the latest Magisk version. However, some time after that earlier message was posted, it turns out that osm0sis fixed the A/B Retention Script, and it now does indeed work under Magisk 22.0.

He pointed that out to me, and so I tried upgrading to 22.0 (after backing everything up, of course), and his OTA utility is indeed available via that version of Magisk. I reinstalled my current OS via Local upgrade and the standard A/B Retention Script procedure, and everthing worked fine.

So, I am now successfully running Magisk 22.0 on my OnePlus 7Pro (GM-1917) with OOS 10.3.8.

pndwal

Jun 23, 2016
Sydney
I saw something similar. The "Let's go" button didn't seem to do anything, but while trying to save a log I realised that there were several flashing instances running in the background. Completely destroyed my boot image... Had to restore it and flash in TWRP to get up and running again.

I think I managed to get a log of the issue and have given it to John, but could you grab one as well, just in case?
Yes, intend to do this when I get a little time... precious little ATM! 😐

As it's a long time since I've grabbed logs, please point me to which / how. Also, I didn't see your issue on GitHub to append... Thanks, PW

Didgeridoohan

Forum Moderator / Developer Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Yes, intend to do this when I get a little time... precious little ATM! 😐

As it's a long time since I've grabbed logs, please point me to which / how. Also, I didn't see your issue on GitHub to append... Thanks, PW
A logcat would most likely be the most helpful:
https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk/MagiskHelp

And I didn't open a GitHub issue. I sent it to him directly since I'm active in the internal testing group... I would append a link to your post or issue there.

Reactions: dcarvil and pndwal

Smil3yWulf

Jan 25, 2015
Im having problem rooting with v22. I was fine rooted with 21.4 but the new update v22 doesnt rooted my tablet Samsung Galaxy a6 (SM-T280)it always says ramdisk yes. Installed no latest 22. Ive tried patching the boot and flash it with odin. Also twrp flash v22 zip and do all the process but i still get installed n/a on magisk app Any help or guide to be rooted with v22 on SM-T280

Smil3yWulf

Jan 25, 2015
Im having problem rooting with v22. I was fine rooted with 21.4 but the new update v22 doesnt rooted my tablet Samsung Galaxy a6 (SM-T280)it always says ramdisk yes. Installed no latest 22. Ive tried patching the boot and flash it with odin. Also twrp flash v22 zip and do all the process but i still get installed n/a on magisk app Any help or guide to be rooted with v22 on SM-T280

snickle

Sep 6, 2009
Upgraded app to new version. Could not do a direct install if 22. Complained of read-only file system when try to write boot img. I used the patch and fastboot the patched boot.img and everything is fine.

Ideas on read-only filesystem?